Thread: [Tools and Resources] Macedonian: A Course for Beginning and Intermediate Students

Acco's Avatar Дијана

Default [Tools and Resources] Macedonian: A Course for Beginning and Intermediate Students

Macedonian: A Course for Beginning and Intermediate Students
    • Name
      Macedonian: A Course for Beginning and Intermediate Students
    • Key Information
      Publisher: The University of Wisconsin Press
      Size: 8.5 x 1.2 x 11 inches
      Price: $42.05 (Amazon)
      Pages: 530
    • Intro
      This book is a beginning and intermediate textbook for learning the Macedonian language. Macedonian is my native language, but I purchased this textbook because I was curious to see how the language is presented and taught to non-Macedonian speakers. It should be noted that this is not a basic vocab/conversations book; it is comprehensive set of lessons and you will get a healthy dose of grammar.

About the language itself: Macedonian is a South Slavic language and the official language of the Republic of Macedonia. It is spoken by about 2-3 million people, including the Macedonian diaspora living overseas. In my opinion, it is one of the easier Slavic languages to learn, and it will introduce you to the Cyrillic script too, which is fun (unless I'm alone in thinking learning other scripts is cool!).
    • Impressions: The course itself predictably begins by introducing the Macedonian alphabet. This is well-presented and in two forms: the Cyrillic standard and the Latinized transliteration. It also provides descriptions on pronunciation, using approximate English sounds, as well as explaining some of the differences between official and informal pronunciation. However, after lesson one, the Latin approximation is dropped completely and from there on Macedonian words are composed exclusively in Cyrillic script. Some people may consider this a drawback (one of the Amazon reviewers did), and it is true that it might slow you down temporarily, but I think it is ultimately beneficial, because you become well-acquainted with the new script within a few lessons and will be less likely to make mistakes while reading the script in the future.

I won't describe in-depth every section of the book, but I'll comment on the whole system of lessons, which I believe is well-structured. In total, there are 16 lessons, two appendixes, and three glossaries. After the alphabet, you are introduced to the all-important verb to be as well the major verb groups, and then to other essentials such as the numbers, the noun system, and also features such as interrogative particles, which are quite different from English. Only after reinforcing these necessary concepts does it introduce a higher grade of grammar, which aims to add precision to your new skills. Despite the progression, English remains the language of instruction for the entire book.

The typical lesson provides a number of Macedonian concepts (in Cyrillic script, as mentioned previously) and clear English explanations to clarify them. There are exercises (usually one for each new concept) which seek to reinforce the new concepts, and then a deep section which introduces lists of new vocabulary, including nouns, verbs, prepositions, expressions, etc. At the end of the lesson, some cultural information is presented and even some colloquial words and expressions are introduced. In all, the average lesson is organized quite well, though I feel it perhaps doesn't utilize the vocabulary as much as it should (I feel this way because I am learning another language and love to have lots and lots of examples to draw from, even if they don't introduce new concepts). Still, you do learn from the lessons and they are usually appropriate in depth.

Another thing I really like is the first appendix. This section actually contains six selections from literature, along with vocabulary definitions for new words, which is a really nice touch because you are introduced to real subjects, writers, and writings in the language rather than contrived conversations.
    • Pros
      - linguistic concepts are introduced and explained well
      - can be used even by absolute beginners
      - throws Cyrillic script at you from the get-go
      - the inclusion of some colloquial speech and cultural references makes learning feel less robotic
      - by the end you should actually have a good grasp of the language
    • Cons
      - price is quite high
      - could perhaps utilize the vocabulary to a greater extent
    • Conclusion
      The course itself is great and without a doubt the best Macedonian language resource available, and could bring you to intermediate status in the language depending on how much work you put in it. However, it is a course-book, and this may not suit most people. If you will ever live in Macedonia or want to learn the language, this book is a must-buy, though I wouldn't recommend it otherwise, as it is too comprehensive (and expensive) for basic uses.

Last edited by Acco; November 20, 2012 at 09:29 AM.

Default Re: [Instructional Materials] Macedonian: A Course for Beginning and Intermediate Students

We must remember our brothers in Bulgaria

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: [Instructional Materials] Macedonian: A Course for Beginning and Intermediate Students

Interesting. The only language-type nook I bought was French for Dummies a couple of years back. This does sound a lot better.

Added to the Index, and thanks for sharing a review.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE