Thread: What to see in Portugal?

Aeneas Veneratio's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default What to see in Portugal?

Hey guys

I have some plans of visiting Portugal - one of the few countries I have never been to before in Western Europe - and I am only there for a week. The problem is, very few travel agencies in my country seems to advertise for Portugal, so I can't get any ideas from them and I don't know, which places/cities/beaches are most recommendable (Lisbon, Algarve and?). The plans, so far, are that I am going there during Easter next year, so there is time for a bit of research, which I am hoping you could help me with.

There are no problems with the idea of renting a car and going from place to place, but I don't have much knowledge of, how much I could see in a week and still be somewhat relaxed doing it.

Thanks for any help you can assist me with!
    R2TW stance: Ceterum autem censeo res publica delendam esse

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: What to see in Portugal?

Same here, I've been to all of Europe except Portugal basicly.
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Vítor Gaspar's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I'll come here again tomorrow. There's plenty of Portuguese on TWC so we can give you a few hints at ease.

I'll further elaborate tomorrow, but Portugal's so much more than Lisbon and Algarve. Lisbon is a must-go, Algarve not so much, Coastal Alentejo ends up being a much better option for beachgoers... and Azores is the true gem of Portugal, even though it may get a little expensive to get there (though you can get great prices from Lisbon to Săo Miguel - even if it's the same as taking a plane from Lisbon to Amsterdam, when it comes to distance)

History-wise, the North has so much you can see... and if you visit Minho (which is among the most beautiful places I've been in Europe) you can always jump to Spain and visit Galiza, another beautiful place that is seldom visited in Spain (and which shares the language and culture, to a great degree, with Portugal - it was there the Portuguese were born to begin with)

But Lisbon is one of those cities you can't lose.

Hi Miguel Relvas,

You got some good suggestions of what to see, thanks for that! One thing, is there any place in Portugal, where you can see remains of the Portuguese Order of Aviz?

You will get some rep, when I am able to (gave a bit too much last night).

Comes Domesticorum

I hear Spain is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    I hear Spain is nice.
    Already visited Spain several times - Barcelona (twice), Lloret de Mar (twice) and Andalusia (tour containing a visit to 6 cities, like Malaga, Cadiz, Sevilla, etc.). I really need to see Portugal and Gibraltar to say that I have done the Iberian Peninsula properly.

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Aeneas Veneratio View Post
    Already visited Spain several times - Barcelona (twice), Lloret de Mar (twice) and Andalusia (tour containing a visit to 6 cities, like Malaga, Cadiz, Sevilla, etc.). I really need to see Portugal and Gibraltar to say that I have done the Iberian Peninsula properly.
    Well, if you say so.

Vítor Gaspar's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Hi Miguel Relvas,

You got some good suggestions of what to see, thanks for that! One thing, is there any place in Portugal, where you can see remains of the Portuguese Order of Aviz?

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    Well, if you say so.
    Ai Stavroforos, sometimes you really tire me...

Portugal, inside the Iberian Peninsula, is, for obvious reasons, the country (and culture) most different from Spain (bar the Basques, of course). Our independence goes beyond political and historical reasons. Initially, our culture was similar (like in every Iberian Christian kingdom), but centuries of warmongering and rivalry between Portugal and Castille (Spain), which became the most important kingdoms in Iberia, put us at odds.

Then Portugal took a turn that effectively detached its culture from the Spanish one (that is, the mainstream Portuguese culture - this didn't happen in certain border regions) forever: I am talking, of course, of Portuguese India and East Indies, and the weight Brazil had over Portugal that no Spanish colony had).

So yes, to really get to know the Iberian Peninsula, visit Portugal. In fact, visit Portugal by all means. Sometimes we really see ourselves with a bad sight, but we have hidden gems in this country.

Hi Miguel Relvas,

Assuming you only have 1 week and, as such, for time and money-related reason you can't visit the Portuguese archipelagos, I'd recommend you a week-long travel around Portugal.

You would start in Porto and go back to Britain in Faro.

For plenty of reasons - this would allow you to visit a great part of Portugal and for a much cheaper price. The flights from the UK to Porto are dirt cheap. And Porto (Portugal's second major city) is quite the place to see.

If there's any break in our unity in Portugal, it is between Porto (the North) and Lisbon (the Centre-South). The people of Porto have always been proud and built a beautiful city that, from the heart of Portugal in its earlier times (hence the name of Portugal, really), became rather forgotten with the advent of Lisbon as a major global city when the Portuguese Empire was established.

In Porto, you have two choices: either you explore urban Porto for 2 days (if you're into urban tourism and want to have a taste of the Northern Portuguese environment and culture - close to that of Galicia. You'll enjoy the differences you'll see when you get to Lisbon) or you just arrive to Porto and take a ride to Minho. Minho is, for me, one of the most beautiful places you can see in Portugal.

It isn't anything spectacular, history-wise, even if it is surrounded by history everywhere - not nothing that probably means much to you.

But, nature-wise... it is astounding. But not the place you want to see in a rush. I've been to Minho/Geręs, in a rural lodge, for 1 week. Now that's something I advise everyone to try once:

But I assume this isn't what you may be looking for. Not to mention that it look a lot like rural England.

So, stroll around Porto, and admire its millenarian history, and taste some wine.

From Porto, I'd go straight to Lisbon. But you're keen on Portuguese Medieval history, so... and Central Portugal is a must. This is the place where the most significant battles between the Moors and the Portuguese were fought. And later, between the Portuguese and the Castillans.

Tomar, Óbidos, Almourol, etc.

Although Central Portugal was much more important for the Order of Christ (and not the Aviz one - I know little about Aviz, the Order of Christ is better known because of its legend and its association with the Knights Templars), you'll still find plenty of stuff to see.

I'd recommend another 2 days around central Portugal. Travel to there by train. Inform yourself

From there - Lisbon. I think I don't need to introduce to you Lisbon. The Baixa Pombalina, Alfama, Convento do Carmo, Rossio, Belém, even Bairro Alto (for a drinks), Lisbon is a beautiful city.

I'd recommend you to visit the royal town outside Lisbon, which was where the royal family spent its vacations - Sintra. One of the most beautiful places I ever visited:

Take 2 days to explore Lisbon, and another to explore Sintra. Then go from Lisbon straight to Faro. Enjoy the beaches and the now Mediterranean country you're visiting

I'd tell you to visit Alentejo but transportation can get tricky there because there's just so little population. And it's like Minho, a place to visit but not in a rush. It has the best beaches in the Iberian Peninsula (for me) and some of the most beautiful places in Portugal (Évora, for example, and now that I remember it, was the main Aviz stronghold, so you may want to see that anyway...). I am partial. I am from there

Any question feel free to ask me.

P.S - Stay in Hostels. You'll never find hostels as good as ours for the price you pay elsewhere in Europe.
    Last edited by Vítor Gaspar; November 24, 2012 at 06:21 PM.