Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Secret Forest Trails v1.3 - for Elves in Mirkwood [TATW 3.2] - 28-Oct-2014: new gate models

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Default Re: Secret Forest Trails v1.1 - for Elves in Mirkwood [TATW 3.2] - 21-Nov: minor update

The OP has been updated with some more info and another picture.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Secret Forest Trails v1.1 - for Elves in Mirkwood [TATW 3.2] - 21-Nov: minor update

nice stuff here

CTD bug
    There is a climate problem when fighting anywhere near the Secret Forest Trails forests that causes a CTD during battle loading.

I will fix and re-release but here is a save game compatible workaround in the meantime:

1) Copy {TATW}\submods\SecretForestTrails\maps_tatw3.2vanilla\map_climates.tga
    2) Paste to {TATW}\data\world\maps\base (replacing the one in there)
    3) Delete {TATW}\data\world\maps\base\map.rwm

Thanks to Zanhast for finding and reporting that.

Default Re: Secret Forest Trails v1.2 - for Elves in Mirkwood [TATW 3.2] - 25-Nov: CTD fix

v1.2 released to fix that CTD bug.

Default Re: Secret Forest Trails v1.2 - for Elves in Mirkwood [TATW 3.2] - 25-Nov: CTD fix

OP updated with this...

Shortcuts Apparently the keyboard shortcuts do not work as described for some non-US keyboard layouts. For example, Araval found that instead of SHIFT+/ he had to use SHIFT+Ä.
    If you are having problems with the shortcuts then I suggest remapping them to something else. This is done from TATW main menu > Options > Keyboard Settings > Campaign.

Thanks Araval.
    Last edited by Withwnar; July 17, 2013 at 05:34 AM.

Default Re: Secret Forest Trails v1.3 - for Elves in Mirkwood [TATW 3.2] - 28-Oct-2014: new gate models

v1.3 released.

This adds custom models for the gates and selectors...

...doing away with the Ent model (selector) and sole banner (gate) of previous versions.

HHECTOR's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Secret Forest Trails v1.3 - for Elves in Mirkwood [TATW 3.2] - 28-Oct-2014: new gate models

Great job! Do you plan include this newest version into Withwnar's Submod Collection?

Thank you. I was planning on it but until now there has been zero response so I figured that nobody was interested. I will add it when I get a chance.

HHECTOR's Avatar Libertus

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HHECTOR View Post
    Thanks
    How hard would it be for me to mod in a secret path from the morgul pass to inside mordor, just for Frodo... that way the strategy of drawing out mordor's immense strength would be beneficial....

If you're going to do it this way, using ships, then there's no way to limit it to one character or one agent type. Any character or army of that faction would be able to use it; it wouldn't make sense that one faction's armies could find and use this path while all other factions cannot.

If you wish to do it like this submod then all I can suggest is to follow how the script works and do something similar. Ultimately all a gate is doing is putting two ships on two sea tiles, then when one is clicked on (CharacterSelected) those two ships swap their positions.

If you don't wish to do it like this submod - there might be another way - then this isn't the place to discuss it; the workshop would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    If you're going to do it this way, using ships, then there's no way to limit it to one character or one agent type. Any character or army of that faction would be able to use it; it wouldn't make sense that one faction's armies could find and use this path while all other factions cannot.

If you wish to do it like this submod then all I can suggest is to follow how the script works and do something similar. Ultimately all a gate is doing is putting two ships on two sea tiles, then when one is clicked on (CharacterSelected) those two ships swap their positions.

If you don't wish to do it like this submod - there might be another way - then this isn't the place to discuss it; the workshop would be.

Thanks... I'll try to follow your forest trails... I think i'll just give massive penalties for other turk generals when having the ring, and take them away for the most part from frodo...that was the point of the book... that way if he loses the ring I lose...i'll get rid of gollum too.

If it is just Frodo you wish it for, i.e. only one specific character, then I think it would be better if script just auto-moved him from a specific location (entry to the secret pass) to another location (exit of that pass). That way you don't need to worry about:
    1) those ships being used by other characters/armies (cheating)
    2) modifying the maps (adding sea tiles)
    3) spawning anything, new models, etc.

You'd just need script to figure out when Frodo is standing in a specific location which is a heck of a lot easier than what this submod is doing. But like I said, that would be a question for the workshop and I'd be happy to discuss it there.

Hmm... so you could use this to make, say teleportation gates between major cities if factions have far flung territories?

Is there a way to use this to make a mountain passage that all factions could use as well? Maybe in conjunction with an Osgiliath ferry type of thing? So if, on any faction's turn, the ships spawn for that faction and despawn for all other factions and so on? The issue there would be losing units parked in the ships though....

so you could use this to make, say teleportation gates between major cities if factions have far flung territories?
    Sure. Except that AI won't use it because it wouldn't know how to.

Is there a way to use this to make a mountain passage that all factions could use as well? Maybe in conjunction with an Osgiliath ferry type of thing?
    Osgiliath Ferry is just a ship on a narrow part of a river. Standard game mechanics treat that as a river crossing for whoever owns the ship.

So if you had a mountain pass that was blocked off by sea tile(s) then yes you could do that: spawn a ship there so whoever owns that ship can now walk through the pass. The problem is that sea tiles are at sea level, whereas mountains are much higher than sea level, so your map will have this severely steep and deep hole where your sea tile is. This would look terrible, on the battle map too if you were to fight on the tile alongside it.

The issue there would be losing units parked in the ships though....
    Yes. That too. When the ship disappears the units on board will attempt to disembark (and which direction they go you cannot control) but if there's no room adjacent for them to disembark to then they will vanish.

Awesome. Sea level mountain paths could work. Bypass mountain ranges and all. I'm okay with only player controlled factions getting waygates. It may give an advantage to the players, but standard mechanics when AI controlled would still be enough I think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12