Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Unlimilted Mongol Invasion ?

Default Re: The Unlimilted Mongol Invasion ?

Indeed, the Mongol is very powerful and often rushes quickly in the beginning with massive troops. But they cannot hold for long, friends. There are some tactics we can use.

I usually support in advance to some factions in the front line vs Mongol such as Turks or Khwa to make them busy, I join force with them to fight. Moreover, I usually backstap the Mongol's cities from behind.

Another tactic is that I use a lot of assassin to kill most of their generals to reduce the moral of their troops. In a critical area, I even deploy about 20 full stars assassins.

Hope we can share some good ideas together, friends.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by StupidAlarmClockGuy View Post
    By 1260 (late era campaign anyway) their armies start petering out really quickly. Any stack they lose shows a visible drop in their military score, and that line doesn't go back up.
    What? Add 100 to that number and you'd be correct. It's the middle to late 14th century (not the 13th), after the bubonic plague, when the Golden Horde begin to truly wane and become irrelevant in the game (and in actual history too, lol). Pretty much the whole of the 13th century they spawn full stacks over and over to crush everything that's standing in their way.

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    What? Add 100 to that number and you'd be correct. It's the middle to late 14th century (not the 13th), after the bubonic plague, when the Golden Horde begin to truly wane and become irrelevant in the game (and in actual history too, lol). Pretty much the whole of the 13th century they spawn full stacks over and over to crush everything that's standing in their way.
    Yes,so in 13th century,players only have 3 methods:kill them on the field,choose western factions or defend the passages to delay their progress.

Quote Originally Posted by 419 View Post
    I am in a similar situation as you in my Byz campaign...except with a far more pitiful economic base to work with, and a 'slightly' worse diplomatic situation (war with France, Hungary, Venice, Sicily, Fatimids, Papal States, Mongols, Kievans)...

I've crippled the Turks, but it seems like the Mongols will deal them the fatal blow. War has just began with the Mongols, who besieged Edessa. I manage to hold the city at the cost of 75% of the garrison. There are now 2 more Mongol stacks inbound. Luckily I have ceasefire with Turks...

unfortunately, one of my 2 ten-star/ten-dread generals (at the age of 34!-- probably one of the favorite characters I've made in this game) is busy in the West fighting against the Latins. The other is battling against the Fatimids who ALSO have ~10 stacks in the area. I am making steady progress against them, having recently captured Acre and Damascus.

My net income is like 10k / turn. I see no option but playing defensive against the Mongols -- I am sending all my siphonatores units (6~ ish of them) to defend the two most threatened settlements. Hopefully these should annihilate the Mongol stacks while I finish conquering the holy land.

It'll be an interesting campaign in the west as well. France have basically split the HRE in two, and are undeniably the greatest power in Europe at the moment. I think I need to vassalize Hungary as well, or war with Poland is inevitable, and that front would be pretty much indefensible should that occur.

I think in the Byzantine campaign, it would be better not to attack any western faction in the beginning. Try to make peace treaties, trades and alliances with them as fast as possible (urgent with Kievan Russia and Romania). You have to regain control of your former territories in Asia and Africa and deal with the Turks and Fatimids before anything else.
    In my campaign the fatimids were also a threat early in the game but they spent so much on armies (they had the most important army for several turns) that they went quickly into bankrupt. Anyway, the only thing you can do now to ease your strategy would be to make peace with the Mongols and then ally with them to fight against the Fatimids if possible...
    On the other hand if your campaign against them is going pretty well, try to regain as many territories as possible and then ask them to make peace, they might accept without any compensation, seeing that you're successfully resisting. But your most urgent priority would be to make peace with everybody in the west so that you can concentrate on the East. If my campaign was that successfull, it's because of two things: I was in medium mode and allied with Romania, Kievan Russia and the Papal States.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingcat View Post
    Yes,so in 13th century,players only have 3 methods:kill them on the field,choose western factions or defend the passages to delay their progress.
    Great, now I really am in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by minhnd6789 View Post
    Indeed, the Mongol is very powerful and often rushes quickly in the beginning with massive troops. But they cannot hold for long, friends. There are some tactics we can use.

I usually support in advance to some factions in the front line vs Mongol such as Turks or Khwa to make them busy, I join force with them to fight. Moreover, I usually backstap the Mongol's cities from behind.

Another tactic is that I use a lot of assassin to kill most of their generals to reduce the moral of their troops. In a critical area, I even deploy about 20 full stars assassins.

Hope we can share some good ideas together, friends.

That is a really nice idea thanks! But Mongols' family members are extremely resiliant and training 20 assassins to level 10 isn't very easy ...
    But I guess I might try this out

Quote Originally Posted by Thekingtomb View Post
    That is a really nice idea thanks! But Mongols' family members are extremely resiliant and training 20 assassins to level 10 isn't very easy ...
    But I guess I might try this out
    No man. It is easy and potential tactic for saving your troops. Without killing their generals, especially the many stars, you suffer major losses even facing them with good strategies.

On average, it takes me about 15 turns to get 10 stars assassins. I often train about 5-7 assassins per turn. Train them by killing the enemy's captains, not any general. the success rate is usually about 30-40% for few first hits, depend on the initial skill of them. then it is always about 90%. it is very easy to get full stars assassins, believe me, bro.

when facing "good 10 stars general", the success is about 15-20% for 10 star assassins. it still works, i made it many times. normal generals, even normal Family members, they are just rabbits to be hunted because the success rate is about 50-60%, even 80-90%.

With that tactic, i usually finish the mongol before 1300.

Quote Originally Posted by minhnd6789 View Post
    No man. It is easy and potential tactic for saving your troops. Without killing their generals, especially the many stars, you suffer major losses even facing them with good strategies.

On average, it takes me about 15 turns to get 10 stars assassins. I often train about 5-7 assassins per turn. Train them by killing the enemy's captains, not any general. the success rate is usually about 30-40% for few first hits, depend on the initial skill of them. then it is always about 90%. it is very easy to get full stars assassins, believe me, bro.

when facing "good 10 stars general", the success is about 15-20% for 10 star assassins. it still works, i made it many times. normal generals, even normal Family members, they are just rabbits to be hunted because the success rate is about 50-60%, even 80-90%.

With that tactic, i usually finish the mongol before 1300.
    I have to admit I never thought about mass producing assassins.
    I might try this. It is tricky, sneaky, evil... I like it!

Cobi Wan Kenobi's Avatar Centenarius

I know this is an old thread, but I felt compelled to share my mongol experience. My computer can't connect to the Internet so I took these with my phone. Compelling and rich.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140123_214343.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	300696Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-01-23 21.42.29.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	442.1 KB 
ID:	300697

Edit: This is only a portion of their military. There are 8 more full stacks directly Northeast of this picture.
    Last edited by Cobi Wan Kenobi; January 25, 2014 at 09:55 AM.

My computer can't connect to the Internet so I took these with my phone.
    Im sorry, but how does having no internet stop you from taking screenshots? You dont need steam to take a screenshot in M2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    Fair enough about your family values preventing you from drinking, my family values prohibit me from not drinking.

I think he means he can't send screenshots from his computer.

When I played as the Seljuks a while back the war with the Mongols lasted a century. I fought them with conventional means and lost badly at first, but eventually threw them back to the eastern edge of the map. Then the Timurids came.

I once played a Kwarezmian campaign. I did OK against the mongols for a while. Fought them under walls, my armies built forts so there was little fighting in the field. I held off the mongols but then the turks and fatimids declared war on me (probably because I was really weak on their borders). I ended up migrating to England with the remaining two stacks that I had and built a new empire. Was a fun campaign.

Cobi Wan Kenobi's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Vissewalde rex de Gerzika View Post
    Im sorry, but how does having no internet stop you from taking screenshots? You dont need steam to take a screenshot in M2.
    I'm sorry, I didn't see that this is relevant to the main topic of my post. It didn't take a genius to figure out what I meant, just the next poster.

And the Khwazarem campaign sounds awesome.

I dealt with them by murdering all of their generals, they've become rebels and stopped marching and stayed on deserts

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123