Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Civitate

Default The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

This album is the best-selling album to date of the Smashing Pumpkins, and is widely considered their best work. Many considered that releasing a double album so early in their career was self-indulgent, and the overall quality of the record would suffer. However, Corgan and the band proved the critics wrong, by creating quite possibly the most vital album of the 90s, moving equally well between the angst-filled sound so beloved of Generation X and more sombre, introspective songs. Q magazine readers voted it 29th greatest album of all time, and it stands as a testament to the genius of Corgan and co.

Dawn to Dusk

1. "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" – 2:52
    2. "Tonight, Tonight" – 4:14
    3. "Jellybelly" – 3:01
    4. "Zero" – 2:41
    5. "Here Is No Why" – 3:45
    6. "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" – 4:18
    7. "To Forgive" – 4:17
    8. "**** You (An Ode To No One)" – 4:51
    9. "Love" – 4:21
    10. "Cupid de Locke" – 2:50
    11. "Galapagos" – 4:47
    12. "Muzzle" – 3:44
    13. "Porcelina of the Vast Oceans" – 9:21
    14. "Take Me Down" – 2:52

Seeing as how reviewing the album is a mammoth task, I'll begin with the first disk, Dawn to Dusk. Aptly named, for it contains the lighter songs, although the likes of Zero and An Ode to No One are exceptions.

1. Mellon Collie - An instrumental piece that sums up the Pumpkin's sound, a compulsive, multi-layered yet elegantly simple tune that sets the scene for the rest of the album.

2. Tonight Tonight - The album progresses with quite possibly the best Pumpkin's song ever written; a grandiose and dream-like spectacle both inspiring and triumphant. The complex, multi-faceted chorus contrasts perfectly with Corgan's raspy but compelling vocals.

3. Jellybelly - A more mainstream rock song, downbeat and pessimistic, in contrast to the previous tracks. Simplistic and mundane, it talks about loss and the directionless feeling that you get from change.

4. Zero - Hard, angry and nihilistic, the compulsive and repetitive guitar tells a bleak story of bitter atheism, and feeling far from the divine. Another stand-out track.

5. Here is no Why - A dreamy track with a hard guitar edge, with Corgan's harsh vocals representing perfectly teenage isolation, alienation and boredom. The dry, rasping yet emotional vocals make this track another fantastic one.

6. Bullet with Butterfly Wings - If Zero was an angry nihilistic rant, this track is a raging scream of frustration and powerlessness. Contrasting the darker, subtler verse with the angry, headbanging chorus ("Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage") Bullet is also one of the many Pumpkins songs to draw heavily on religious symbolism.

7. To Forgive - A positively melancholy, depressing tune, quiet and resigned compared to the previous track. The lethargic, regretful melody brings the idea of wasted youth, and covering up the emptiness and regret you feel by putting on a happy face.

8. **** You - An appropriate title, this is one of the more defiant, angry, vitriolic tracks on the album. Hard guitar riffs accompany brilliant drum work, and obscure, psychadelic and forceful lyrics. One of the best tracks on the album.

9. Love - Slightly obscure, not one of the better tracks of the album. Dark and moody, but without any real purpose. Not awful, but mediocre compared to the other tracks.

10. Cupid de Locke - A sweet, sentimental song completely at odds with the usual mood of doom and gloom. It feels as soft and gentle as anything, but Corgan's vocals still manage to sound genuine when it could have seemed fake and artificial. A nice, romantic track and a good change of pace.

11. Galapagos - Cupid signalled an end to the angry Pumpkins tracks, now the album starts to wind down as it nears the end. Galapagos is another masterpiece, a sweeping, wistful epic, both complex and blissfully simple at the same time. Some of the most poingnant lyrics ever penned, the emotional, heart-felt lyrics lend some purpose to the soft but sweet tune.

12. Muzzle - Strikingly similar in many ways to the previous track, except with a more urgent tune. A great track, about fear of mediocrity, but feels overshadowed by the epics Galapagos and Porcelina. The highlight is towards the end, where Corgan's lyrics and vocals match perfectly with the softer guitar at the end.

13. Porcelina - At almost ten minutes long, you might be forgiven for thinking you may lose interest. However, from the initial quiet build up to a hard rock crescendo, to the joyous, floating lyrics, it feels like this track actually does take you far away, to some magical, carefree island. Utterly perfect escapism, and just superb.

14. Take Me Down - The CD finishes with a simple but well-placed finale, with James Iha showing his versatility by delivering a quiet but touching vocal performance, in a sweet-natured, evocative track that is the perfect come-down after the brilliance of Porcelina. Again, it manages to sound sweet without being insincere, which I feel most romantic songs sound like.

Overall, even without the second CD, this would stand as one of the greatest albums ever in my opinion, and I would consider it weaker than Twilight to Starlight. The tracks are varied in sound and well placed, and almost flawless. anybody serious about music should listen and appreciate the musical talent behind this album, whatever music you listen to. It gets an easy 10/10 from me.

Ok, that took a while, so I'll get round to the second CD when I can, as well as some tracks that never made it onto the CD version if I can locate them. Hope you enjoyed reading this.
    Last edited by KingOfTheIsles; August 01, 2006 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Title wrong way round
    Under patronage of: Wilpuri

Rhah's Avatar S'eer of Fnords

Default Re: The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Great review.
    Haven't listened to the album in ages, and after reading that i may just have to give it a spin later.
    "Moral indignation is jealousy with a Halo" - H.G. Wells.

Sig crafted by Bulgaroctonus, Member of S.I.N., Proud Spurs fan
    Son of Valus, Brother to Mimirswell and Proximus
    Patron of Shaun, Eventhorizen, Beowulf47
    and Rob_the_celt

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

Awesome. Reppy Reppy.

Really though guys, this album is a masterpiece

I'll add my own thoughts on the context the album was written and the steps that lead to its production tommorow, since I think its helpful in understanding the greatness and complexity of such a mammoth work of art.

How many B-side tracks have you got for it by the way? I've got pretty much all of the Aeroplane Flies High lol!
    Last edited by Stalins Ghost; August 02, 2006 at 05:00 PM.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

great review. The album is undoubtably a fine piece of work, i cant really say any of its songs are bad, but in many ways i prefer Siamese Dream, mainly because its easier to just play and listen to all the way through i suppose
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes

Quote Originally Posted by Spiff
    great review. The album is undoubtably a fine piece of work, i cant really say any of its songs are bad, but in many ways i prefer Siamese Dream, mainly because its easier to just play and listen to all the way through i suppose
    Couldn't agree more. Each album is perfect for different times. Siamese Dream is my reflective album, Mellon Collie for those times when you're emotions are so hectic you just have to put on an album that encompasses them all.

Anyway: Here's my commentary on the album (couldn't resist waiting till tommorow)

When in February 1995 the band began work on their third album, there was one clear goal from the start: to deliever something altogether different from their previous effort, Siamese Dream, yet something that retained the grandiose, deep and powerful form the band would be remembered for. And it would be a double album.

Double albums have always been a difficult thing to achieve with great success- they are far to reguarly filled with superfluous tracks, or so over produced that the message is lost. Embarking on such a project is just the kind of pretencious operation that few bands ever try to accomplish- but precisely the kind of vision that the band, particuarly Billy Corgan were willing to take a risk on.

With this goal in mind, the band decided to begin the project by holding a number of intimate shows with only a couple of hundred guests to demonstrate their new material, and test it in front of a crowd, with 27 different songs being played in total. Billy Corgan quoted "You can scream all you want for your old favorites, but we're not going to play any!" These performances were the bedrock of the new album- a way the band could sample the new songs with an audience.

As February turned to March, the band entered Pumpkinland to begin production in earnest. Around 50 songs were written by Billy, and 12-15 by James. The sheer level of work to be done was actually a problem Billy felt dogged the album- some songs never could be refined quite to his stellar standards. He quotes "Mellon Collie had compromises, but not musically just because it was too much. Some songs didn't get the energy that they deserved because we had too much to do." Contrary to popular belief, Mellon Collie was never written as a concept album, and Billy staunchly denies it being as such- ironically the last album, Machina: The Machines of God, which was penned as a concept album, held a theme so complex that few really understood it.

Once in place, the songs entered the studio proper, with Billy himself taking up mammoth 16 hour days with producers Flood and Alan Moulder. Flood was particuarly useful for the album- firstly he had worked with artists James and Billy cite as massive influences, but he was also highly adept at implementing unorthodox sounds with various production techniques. With Mellon Collie, Billy felt this was essential- Butch Vig (for Gish and Siamese Dream) used his drumming heritage to produce the optimum musical sound. For the next album, a fresh, mood related sound was desired, and would eventually highlight the key difference with Mellon Collie, with far more emphasis being placed on colour, tone and mood.

The already inflated use of guitars and pedals was ever increased for Mellon Collie, with a huge desire on the bands part to introduce sounds unheard of before, that would make each song stand out above others, as well as being entirely unique from their contemporaries. Layering, a technique Billy refined in Siamese Dream was aided by newer developments in Pro-Tools, allowing huge amounts of tracks to be manipulated at once. No expense was being spared to achieve the "perfect sound". James Iha opts to record his songs in his own studio, which is one of the key factors in their unique sound compared to the tracks written by Billy.

The new songs were once again put to the test in public, this time at the Reading festival in England. Corgan quotes "60,000 dirty tired English people rocking in the mud.", and was pleased with an altogether positive reaction. The album is slated for an October 24th release.

The Pumpkins did a record release party show at the Riviera Theater on the 23rd in Chicago. The entire show was broadcasted live on many radio stations throughout the country and an Internet simulcast. The live broadcast included the portion where a generator caught fire and causes a power outage during the third song in the set, "Zero". After about ten minutes in the dark, the band resumed playing.

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness was released on the 24th under Virgin Records. The album featured 28 songs and entered the Top 200 Billboard Charts at #1. The CD included two booklets (one with lyrics, one with pictures). The title of the album was identified by D'Arcy as originating from "a bad pun game getting out of control."

Sometime after, Billy tells fans that the album proceeding Mellon Collie would be a radical departure from the sound. Thus the band embarked on the years of their biggest tours, featuring the most soap-opera-esque events to come.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Civitate

How many B-side tracks have you got for it by the way? I've got pretty much all of the Aeroplane Flies High lol!
    Hmm, not that many now that I look at it, I thought I had more downloaded. Mostly a few demo tracks, one for Bullet with BFW, an instrumental of Tonight Tonight, however I do like the Infinite Sadness instrumental which seemingly never made it.

Anyway, thanks for the comments guys, I'm working on the Twilight to Starlight review, and then onto Adore, to try and address its completely undeserved bad reputation.
    The album is undoubtably a fine piece of work, i cant really say any of its songs are bad, but in many ways i prefer Siamese Dream, mainly because its easier to just play and listen to all the way through i suppose
    For some reason I can't really get into Siamese Dream. It has really good moments (Today, Disarm, Silver****, Geek USA etc.) but it feels a bit up and down, with some "meh" songs. Whereas I can listen to Mellon Collie or Adore without skipping a single track.
    Under patronage of: Wilpuri

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfTheIsles
    Anyway, thanks for the comments guys, I'm working on the Twilight to Starlight review, and then onto Adore, to try and address its completely undeserved bad reputation.
    Awesome. Bagsy Gish and Machina OR I could to the Aeroplane Flies High.
    I'm actually thinking of doing a mammoth review of my favorite songs by them...that'll take a long time mind

Just as a tit-bit of information about the band, apparently their in pre-production for the new album now. I'd say they'll be recording in a month or two. Recording: 2 months (no joke, Billy's notorious for taking ages). Post-Production. 1-2 months. We'll see an album January, February next year I say. Whether or not we know who's in the new band before then is another matter
    Last edited by Stalins Ghost; August 03, 2006 at 01:02 PM.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

yeah man, damn good album, my fave track is tonight tonight. well good.
    LEX MALLA, LEX NULLA
    Whats that little scales under my avatar?