Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bars or clubs?

Default Bars or clubs?

Well, which of the two do you prefer and why?

Recently, I've noticed that I'm really more of a bar person. Clubbing and dancing can be fun occasionally but most of the time I simply don't feel like spending up to 10 € just to get my eardrums destroyed (by music that is often bad as well) and to dance until my feet hurt, I'm completely exhausted and my whole body is covered in sweat.

Bars are much better in my opinion, it's more relaxed in there, drinks are cheaper and the atmosphere is good, too. You can also actually talk to people and have a good time together rather than just shouting at each other... Yes, I do realize that you don't go to clubs to talk. Oh, and not to mention that bars don't have annoying bouncers and the douchebag percentage in there is usually lower than in clubs.
    Curious Curialist curing the Curia of all things Curial.

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Default Re: Bars or clubs?

I like both - they've both got their strong points. The main strong point of both is obviously the ability to neck a cheeky pint

But depends on what I'm out for - if I need to hear someone talk, then obviously a pub/bar is in order, until you're sick of the sound of their voice and it's time to get more hammered in clubs open later! However as I get older and take seemingly more trips to Amsterdam to get stoned, I'm slowly losing touch with the whole clubbing thing. Last time I went to a club, it was a good 75 miles away from the town I live near Oxford - the bouncers in my home city are bloody awful louts who cause more fights than they prevent, but I was surprised on going in first to be asked for ID for the first time in many years, only for the bouncer to suddenly make a rap song out of details on my Driving license. He even some how knew the local area phone code for the small town I live in! You can't not forget a hilarious bouncer, and heh, who's gonna cause a fight after being given a rap and some free chocolate on the way in?

....not that it made up for the mortgage I had to take out to get a drink in the club.

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Bars for the beer and the laughs.

Clubs for the girls.

And vice versa.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Geleco's Avatar Domesticus

I prefer tire irons.

Oh wait, I see what you mean now...

Aru's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Listening to the kind of music I listen, I'm not really interested in going to expensive clubs to be tortured by pop, dance and techno. And I hate dancing, don't know how and don't want to know. I ain't really interested in bimbos there, either.

But I do like rock/metal concerts, be it in a bar or open air. Basically, when you think about it, it's the same thing like going to a club. People dance, booze is overpriced and you pay entrance. With the exception that I feel much more at home with a bunch of leather-clad long haired bums in a muddy environment then in fancy club.

But generally since I was 16 I spent my weekends at a bar, last 8 years in a same bar where everybody knows my name.
    Has signatures turned off.

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Depends really. Generally I prefer a trip to the pub with a few mates.

However, every once in a while I like to go to town and get very hammered, in which case I prefer clubs.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Quote Originally Posted by Aru View Post
    But I do like rock/metal concerts, be it in a bar or open air. Basically, when you think about it, it's the same thing like going to a club. People dance, booze is overpriced and you pay entrance. With the exception that I feel much more at home with a bunch of leather-clad long haired bums in a muddy environment then in fancy club..
    This. I don't like clubs in the sense of dance/techno/rap clubs, but a rock (metal) venue, hell yeah! A lot of Black and Death Metal bands seem play at such clubs since their fan base is often to small to rent out big concert halls.

Just for a twist, anyone remember the Shisha bar building in MTWII? Hookah bars are becoming popular in the US for those under 21. Technically you have to be 18 to enter, but most of these places know that teenagers are a huge revenue source so they neglect to card. Or they use a legal loophole only card one person per group (most groups of teenagers seem to have an 18 year old who can provide ID for everyone). Lol I'm not condoning this or anything, but it happens.

Anyway, Hookah bars are chill. Everyone lays on couches and hits on Hookahs (Arabic water pipes), which are full of shisha (a mixture of tobacco with fruit flavored molasses). It tastes excellent (nothing like cigarettes at all), and doesn't leave a foul smell on your breath or cloths.

D.B. Cooper's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Bars for the beer and the laughs.

Clubs for the girls.

And vice versa.
    Basically this.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

I have no fondness for dancing, nor I wish to be in a place where I can't hear myself think. I prefer pubs, but I find the more popular ones here - which are, naturally, where my set go - still tend to blast music at loud volumes. It's just impossible.

Haas's Avatar Miles

I wanna go to the UK and have some pints

Both actualy. However bars can be visited every night while clubs are only for the week end (if you want to keep your job)

During the week end it goes like this:

21:00 - 01:00 Bar
    01:00 - 04:00 Club
    Ugly as the north end of a pig going south

гурманска пљескавица пуњена ролованом пилетином и умотана у сланину, па све то у кајмаку

Quote Originally Posted by Oklop View Post
    Both actualy. However bars can be visited every night while clubs are only for the week end (if you want to keep your job)

I used to do that a lot, too, but nowadays I often simply prefer staying at a bar till 1 and then going home. That way, I can actually get up before noon on the next day and do something with my friends rather than sleep till 3 in the afternoon and feeling awful all day long...
    Curious Curialist curing the Curia of all things Curial.

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    I used to do that a lot, too, but nowadays I often simply prefer staying at a bar till 1 and then going home. That way, I can actually get up before noon on the next day and do something with my friends rather than sleep till 3 in the afternoon and feeling awful all day long...
    Aye, more and more I do the same. Years have caught up with me, but if I do not work on Saturday (I work 2 a month) I will usually go to the club, especially if there is a good party.
    Ugly as the north end of a pig going south

гурманска пљескавица пуњена ролованом пилетином и умотана у сланину, па све то у кајмаку

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Oklop View Post

I know a few people who occasionally do this, except they spend the entire night at a pub from about 7pm until 6am. I don't know how they have the energy. I've never stayed at a pub later than about 2am. That's usually only when we start late too.
    Last edited by Niles Crane; April 09, 2011 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie View Post
    I have no fondness for dancing, nor I wish to be in a place where I can't hear myself think. I prefer pubs, but I find the more popular ones here - which are, naturally, where my set go - still tend to blast music at loud volumes. It's just impossible.
    This.

I don't see what people like about clubs (except for the sluts)
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

Mr Tuna's Avatar Senator

I usually only visit bars when i'm not planning on making it too late (like during weekdays), catching up with people I havent had the chance to talk to for a while. When clubbing, we and my friends usually get half drunk at someone's place first before we leave. Its generally harder to find a good club compared to a good bar. The line-up has to be good, the bar people friendly (I once ran into a barguy in a pretty club that made me say "Can i please buy 4 beer, Sir?" before he got me my overpriced drinks, never visited that place again for obvious reasons) and the crowd has to be generally laid back people. No brats swinging their GreyGoose bottles around, unwilling to dance, no out of town folk that bumps into you and pushes you for no real reason, no so called "hip" people that only nag about "mainstream" and "selling out". Its hard to find but im lucky enough to live in a city with a vibrant (i love that word, vibrant, got a nice touch) nightlife with one or two cool places.
    Drinking does to life what turning the radio up does to a car's engine problems.

-TnC

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

I like bars just for a relaxed evening of beer and laughs with mates, but my best nights out so far have always been in clubs. I like the larger gigs. Tonight I'm off to attend A State of Trance 500, which admittedly is neither a bar nor a club, but really if I had to choose between those every week or a big event like ASOT once every few months, I'd pick the latter easily.
    I have approximate answers and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything, and many things I don’t know anything about. But I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing.
    - Richard Feynman's words. My atheism.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

I don't like clubs mainly because I am unable to dance to music I don't like. Actually, dancing seems pretty stupid to me anyway - I don't get how one can gain pleasure from it.

Besides, a bar is more likely to inflict a critical hit than a club, and clubs are not as durable or quick.

Taxandrius's Avatar Praeses

both actually
    I love clubs, or club-like pubs to just unleash the pressure of a week or weekend and booze up and dance untill I forget who I'm talking to. Though, If i have to make the choice, I'd probably go for pubs, easier to talk, more fun to hang around, and, whereas clubbing can get boring (IMO), I never get tired of trying new bars or pubs, or hanging around in my favorites.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

I like clubs for some reason, the bar sceene is basically non existant where im from, and the beer is overpriced everywhere anyway, so i prefer an exstencive pre-drink (Vorspiel) with friends, go out to a club when you are borderline wasted, not drink their stupid 8£ 04L pints, then an exstencive after-drink (Narshpiel) to drink and chat with people you met at the club.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast