Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: [TE AAR] Rome succession game.

Default [TE AAR] Rome succession game.

Place to post the screenies and description of how the game is going etc.
    Comments welcome also

Default Re: Rome succession game.

A screenie of settings. Hope they aren't too demanding, seem to work fine on my pc.

Having inherited a rich, but relatively small country with tough armies on southern border it was time to start shaping things more to my liking. Raising taxes on all towns except Capua. Roma is planned to build temples to Neptune to be able to train units with nice armament and also the best boats in this game, Arretium will have temples to Mars to boost units experience and moral. Later on these Cities could provide the best troops to the Empire.
    But first the southern borders need to be expanded and secured.

True friendship? More like concern of losses the elephants in that stack could inflict. Notice my existing gold in the lower right side of screen.

Year 279 bc - Tarentum falls under the banner of SPQR. Quite an easy battle since gates were open thanks to my spy. Enemy faction leader still manages to put up some resistance and some hundred romans fall. Citizens sold to slaves to get gold and grow main towns.

Year 278 bc - No time to mourn or retrain units for some epirotes still inhabit southern parts of Italy. My spy has once again done a great deed for his emperor with opening the gates.

The battle proved to be harder than expected. 3 enemy family members with their best trained cavalary and phalanxes that can block the streets. Thinking back I am glad that their tactical skills were so poor.
    Enemies had reinforcements coming from both sides, but looking at the situation I was sure I could kill the troops inside first. It came out that on one side they only had a general with his cavalary coming so I put 2 hastati and 3 principes units in fron of that gate. They would again suffer quite a few casualties, but kill that general.

On the other side one phalanx needed to be defeated to have a clean run at the town center. Also 2 generals charged my army on the way there defeating almost all of my cavalary, but triarii unit backed up by 2 groups of principes killed them.
    Killing 2 groups of infantry in the centre proved to be quite easy, since troops from the northern gate had arrived by that time also.
    After that it was just annihilation of the arriving enemy phalanxes and the battle was won. Number of slaves in empire increases.

Yes, the losses were significant, but all in all it was the end of epirot ground troops on the Italian boot. Now it's time to refit troops and bring a boat to capture Sicily.

Meanwhile on sea - one battle lost and one won. No ships sunk on either side and transports make it to desired place.

On general plans, economy is now strong enough to provide another army which is being trained in Roma and Arretium for the purpose of capturing Genua, Sardiania and Corsica.

Year 277 bc - Messana captured from rebels. Spy managed to open the gates again. Too bad his name has to stay secret from public so i can't give him revards from the Empire. Battle was only a small skirmish - troops will move on next turn.

Same turn - The newly formed half-army in the north captures Genua from rebels. Unsignificant fight. Will wait for naval transports to be built to take islands from Carthage. Hopefully I'll have my Sicilian army ready to fight Carthaganians by that time also.

Year 276 bc - Siege of Syracuse begins. First time that my spy has failed me but everyone has his bad days.
    Last edited by joorik; August 01, 2006 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Omg, hate sites(imagehosting) that can't understand I'm using Firefox.

Year 270 bc - The backbone of Carthage is broken. Their capital along with towns on islands have been conquered and Rome is more powerful than ever before. It is time to turn its eyes on the rich Greek cities.

Longer update on the missing 6 years will follow tomorrow.

concerning the screenshots they are tga files, can you upload them as is or do you need to convert them into something else?

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xu Xiang Long
    concerning the screenshots they are tga files, can you upload them as is or do you need to convert them into something else?
    Yes, youll need to covert them to JPG or GIF or similar. Photoshop and other graphics programs can do the conversion.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

know anything that doesnt cost money?

imthefrgt10's Avatar Senator

the gimp is the same as photoshop except its free

<HonorGlory> You weren't here when the deal between me and Octavian took place.
    <Aristocrat> deal?
    <Aristocrat> Ill leave that alone actually
    <Evariste> No I wasn't. Corrupt bargain eh? Maybe it's better to leave the past in the past.

erm could you tell me where to get it please?

google, probably, :p

Aww crap... I've been kindof busy. I'll make the post as soon as I can. Sry for the delay

Year 276 bc - Rebels try to relieve the siege of Syracuse with 2 times smaller army than mine. A small skirmish resulting in the immidiate capture of Syracuse.

Year 275 bc - Thanks to naval transports Lilybaeum is captured fast. Enemies have a 3 times smaller army and no general - more a slaughter than battle. War with Carthage results from this conquest.

Year 275 bc - Aleria captured. Local troops offer no real resistance. Army ready to capture Caralis next turn.

Year 274 bc - Caralis captured. Town defenders only have 161 men, which means my men just run over them.

Year 274 bc - Siege of carthago begins with half-army that came from Caralis. Larger army of veterans from Sicily provide cover to the south, getting ready to siege Hadrumetum.

Year 273 bc - Carthago and Hadrumetum captured.

Backbone of Carthage broken - main army prepares to leave Northern Africa for a campaign against the remains of Baktria. Wouldn't normally bother myself with such minor threats, but they keep blocking my ports and their towns are conveniently on the way to the Creek peninsula.

Year 271 bc - Carthaganians have managed to bring troops to siege Carthago. Relief force sets out from Hadrumetum and sets up positions near Carthago to assist as soon as carthaganians attack.

Year 271 bc - Main army reaches Bakrians. I ordered them to leave light infantry in Northern Italy and bring more heavy troops for better performance against phalanxes. Battle soon follows where roman arms annihilate main baktrian troops. Roads now open for finishing off the last 3 baktrian towns.

Year 271 bc - Carthaganians leave the siege of Carthago and attack Hadrumetum. Someone had opened the gates for them leaving the town too poorly defended. Small defence force overrun and Hadrumetum lost. Retribution however will be swift.

Year 270 bc - The troops from Carthago combined with the relief force sent earlier from Hadrumetum are ready to attack Hadrumetum. My forces are 2 times stronger resulting in an easy battle where the enemies are killed to the last man. Town recaptured.

Year 270 bc - Scodra captured. Minor skirmish with that ended the life of one baktrian family member.

Year 267 bc - Baktria destroyed. Their 2 last towns fell with ease.

Strategic plans - Alliance with Macedon to have my newlycaptured towns defended from the east while my main force goes to battle the Creeks.
    The situation on seas is getting more and more critical. Getting naval battle losses almost each turn... however only one ship sunk so far. This has led to construction of a more stable fleet.
    A new army has been equipped and trained in northern Italy for pushing the borders to the Alps and then west along the Meditarranean. It's commander will be me, Flavius Octavianus, Emperor of Rome.

Year 267-265 bc - Mediolanium and Patavium captured and numerous gallic invasions repelled. With me in charge this army is allmighty.

Year 267-262 bc - Quintus the Victor has captured the Creek peninsula and crushed numerous opponents and a rebellion in Corinth. Seems this man has proven to be quite an asset to the empire. I might have to prove myself even more in battle for this man not to make it to more historybooks than me. Therefore I shall leave for another conquest as soon as possible.

Year 264 bc - A man named Marius seems to have pushed thru some quite significant reforms in the roman armies.

Year 263 bc - Macedonians have broken our alliance by besieging Salona. I knew this would be inevitable, but hoped that they would hold on for atleast a couple more years. However their army was so insignificant that the commander desided to sally out. It was a quick victory mainly thanx to his own bodyguards who managed to kill about 150 enemy troops. That's something to look up to.

Year 262 bc - Quintus the Victor defeats a larger Macedonian army besieging one roman town near Creece. I ordered my diplomat to bribe another army that was on its way to Athens to make sure things don't get out of hands. Armies are being trained in Sparta and Corinth for a fullscale attack on Macedon to wipe them off the ground.

Meanwhile a roman army residing in Carthago decided it was time to raise roman glory on its own and captured Hippo Regius. This resulted in Carthago looking like an easy target to the Numidians. Their small armies were utterly beaten when the roman army returned. No towns were lost, but now we do have a new enemy in Northern Africa and another town to defend, so I ordered the training of an army in Carthago and Hadrumetum.

Year 261 bc -
    It is with great sorrow that I write these lines to the end of our late emperors memoires. I do not know what had gotten into him - maybe it was just a desire for greater glory, maybe somehow the enemies got to him, maybe the gods wanted him dead. It all happened in a larger battle with the gauls that he was commanding. While the troops were getting into formations and advancing he suddenly jumped on his mount and charged into the enemy lines. His own bodyguard unit and another general with his bodyguards charged right after him, but he was impossible to stop. When our Emperor was killed his infantry was still far from the enemies. Decimus Libo took over the command and went back to hurry up the infantry, but Flavius Octavianuses bodyguards refused to leave the battle and formed a perimiter around the body of the emperor. When roman infantry arrived and saw what had happened they got furious and fought with such lust for blood that the enemies could do nothing but flee. By the end of the battle some 150 romans were dead or wounded, among them the emperor and his 48 bodyguards - slain to the last man. The gauls lost over a thousand men, but that is just the beginning. When Rome hears the news about it's Emperor, the emperor that had raised their nation from one of the small to the most powerful in the known world, killed by mere savages they will demand blood and blood they will get.

- Lucius Octavianus, Emperor of Rome.

Last edited by joorik; August 03, 2006 at 07:59 PM. Reason: lingvistical corrections

Erm... I thought about it some and decided to put in up for download since I'm not sure about my online availability until the next week.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b85022/

There's tons of ads etc, but just choose free download from first page and start download on the second and you'll get it
    Last edited by joorik; August 03, 2006 at 07:47 PM.

my turn right>?

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Great commentary jorik, looks like you made good progress.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Could have made more but the faction leader died so I could format my c drive... which was a sucess btw

And yes, it is communistos turn. Do notice that the game is in vh/vh mode so some extra caution on choosing battles might be nessecary. Good luck and hope to see some reports sometime soon.

yeah, i noticed im kinda boned in macedonia

Emm... btw could anyone give advice on what the screenies should be about? I took quite many, but since uploading them is so slow and painful I didn't really bother posting many since they all seemed so unimportant :|

Quote Originally Posted by joorik
    [b]

Backbone of Carthage broken - main army prepares to leave Northern Africa for a campaign against the remains of Baktria. Wouldn't normally bother myself with such minor threats, but they keep blocking my ports and their towns are conveniently on the way to the Creek peninsula.
    how the f... do the baktrians get all the way over there. I thought they were in asia soemwhere

the screenies should be campaing maps with armies and possibly generals traits. aso heroic victories, general funny stuff, like crqazy unit behavior
    Quote Originally Posted by communisto
    yeah, i noticed im kinda boned in macedonia
    oh no you didnt screw everything up for us? im hoping to get a shot at this emperor thing..
    post some screens man
    Last edited by Hells Bells; August 04, 2006 at 06:36 PM.

ill get to screens, dont worry, btw, i think he meant epirus, not baktria

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast