Thread: Problems with the AI

Default Problems with the AI

I won't go into specifics. To put it bluntly, I've found that very frequently the AI is pants-on-head retarded.
    This makes me campaigns a little less interesting that I would have otherwise hoped. I've searched the forum and Google, but I've found nothing to answer that burning question: Is RS:2 compatible with Darthmod?

Thanks for your time in advance, guys.

Evalation's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Problems with the AI

RS2/2.5 requires an unmodded version of RTW. However If you install rs2 into another folder you will be able to play other mods with it.

Dont know if that answerd your question but idk what else to tell ya.

As for the AI... it sucks in every mod. I find playing on H/H settings quite Suitable and the battle AI gives me a nice challenge.
    Last edited by Evalation; November 12, 2012 at 03:07 PM.
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." - Alexander the Great

Quote Originally Posted by Evalation View Post
    RS2/2.5 requires an unmodded version of RTW. However If you install rs2 into another folder you will be able to play other mods with it.

Dont know if that answerd your question but idk what else to tell ya.

As for the AI... it sucks in every mod. I find playing on H/H settings quite Suitable and the battle AI gives me a nice challenge.
    DarthMod RTW has given me a run for my money a couple of times. Battles are actually hard. Yes, I know it's hard to believe.

Part of that in Darth mod is that I think a lot of the enemy units in that have double hit points.....but we've made some further tweaks for RS 2.6 which should help, like reducing retraining costs which helps the AI by encouraging it to retain experienced units, and also adding some more experience upgrades to AI units. Additionally, a lot of work has gone into reducing or removing the snow ball effect to try and keep the challenge levels up later into the game whilst avoiding AI stack spam.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

This mod is hands down better then any other RTW mods IMO. If you play on h/h you will have a challenge by about 680 auc. AI is about as good as i have played on any of the RTW mods. The real challenge is the campaign map not just the battles. Moving your outnumbered stacks around cat and mouse to get a reaction from the computer AI is the real battle. Beleive me if you don't have a good leader and you are fighting a powerfull Dacia with the Romans you WILL lose some battles. There are many periods of stalemate also. I found out the hard way if you let a nation next to you get too big they end up not only with endless stacks moving toward your borders but they also often have silver and double silver chevron experience. Play this mod longer then the early game and you will find it challenging. Even as the Romans holding new territories can be a real science.

long after Carthage is conquered you will deal with constant rebellions and revolts in Africa in additon to being flooded with enemy stack on multiple fronts. If they Get big enough Dacia and those Spanish can be a nightmare to deal with.

And if have never played Darthmod RTW...hard to find. But his Darthmod Ultimate Commander was excellent. Made Empire playable.

Primo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by CatoTheYounger View Post
    And if have never played Darthmod RTW...hard to find. But his Darthmod Ultimate Commander was excellent. Made Empire playable.
    Not that hard ...

not just in campaign, but in battle they are ridiculously stupid. tell a unit to go straight ahead down the street in the city and they will take the most retarded route where a fight is taking place, instead of the shorter route with no enemies. you position your cavalry to attack a units exposed flank and tell them to charge, half of them will do it, the other half will go the opposite way right into the front of spearmen. ridiculous. i never had problems like that in other mods

I find it rather hard to believe that you haven't had problems like that in other mods. AFAIK, pathfinding in cities is pretty bad in RTW vanilla too, as well as in M2TW and ETW (moving units around on fort walls is really awkward I find). It can be very irritating, especially when fighting on the city square, units never walk straight to their destinations.

Yes but the Ai is very good imo defending during a siege. They never lose track of where you are moving troops to try to flank them through another path. And they cover all the openening you breach in their walls usualy. Being the attacker in a siege is most difficult part of any battle and it's not easy to pull alll your maneuvering tricks. They ususaly keep you in front of them.

Anthropoid's Avatar Tiro
    In the nether regions of the Puritan hinterlands

Agree that H/H is the way to get the most out of Roma Surrectum. I played on M/M and despite only a bit of experience with vanilla RTW, found it to be pretty much a cakewalk. I did a 'test on M/H and the battles did seem to be more challenging. Finally took the step up to H/H, and . . . yeah! that is what I'm talking about!

My economy is actually tight. After expanding to 11 cities, I'm having to plan how to develop. Totally agree that the campaign map 'navigation' becomes much more serious on H/H. By ~600 AUC, even Free People seem to have some mostly Heavy unit regiments, and if they catch one of your ancillary units unsuspecting, it can chew it up.

Quote Originally Posted by willyum32 View Post
    not just in campaign, but in battle they are ridiculously stupid. tell a unit to go straight ahead down the street in the city and they will take the most retarded route where a fight is taking place, instead of the shorter route with no enemies. you position your cavalry to attack a units exposed flank and tell them to charge, half of them will do it, the other half will go the opposite way right into the front of spearmen. ridiculous. i never had problems like that in other mods
    The siege maps really seem to mess up the AI. To be honest I find the siege battles to be pretty unfun in all TW games I've played. In honesty I just sit and wait it out most of the time. If the AI sallies forth it can be kinda fun, but the constant pausing and micro-moving that is necessary to get units to behave rationally inside settlements is just not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthropoid View Post
    Agree that H/H is the way to get the most out of Roma Surrectum. I played on M/M and despite only a bit of experience with vanilla RTW, found it to be pretty much a cakewalk. I did a 'test on M/H and the battles did seem to be more challenging. Finally took the step up to H/H, and . . . yeah! that is what I'm talking about!
    I've gone in the opposite direction H/H to M/H and I'm liking it more.
    It's nice when you can form a logical alliance with an AI faction and it actually holds for a little while, rather than them going out of their way to attack you even when you're vastly superior.

Actually, enemy AI isn't too bad, most of the time. However, for some reason, allied armies tend to be extremely retarded all the time. If you have an allied army joining the battle, the allied AI will usually do something so asinine (like charging the general's cavalry unit head on into a wall of pikes) you'll want to just fight the battle on your own. If only there was a way to give allied armies the same basic intelligence as enemy armies.