Thread: The Critic's Quill: Issue 36

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

Default The Critic's Quill: Issue 36

The Editor Speaks
    Hello and welcome to Issue 36 of the Quill. The hallowed halls of the Quill are quiet and dusty of late. Our writers are still and silent, their blank gazes no doubt fastened on the far-off prospect of Rome II. But in the meantime the show must go on, and so here we are again, with news and reviews from the TWC Creative Writing Community.

We have AAR reviews from robinzx, wowbanger, Shankbot de Bodemloze, and HeirofAlexander. Shakespeare (our resident highbrow) has cast the laser light of his intellect onto the Creative Writing forum, and he has also provided an insightful essay on nothing less than the definition of Art itself! Radzeer has provided us with an essay on that most essential of skills, how to end an AAR.

However, it appears that the majority of this issue has been single-handedly crafted by the mighty Shankbot... all hail Shankbot the Magnificent! He has provided ALL of our news: Tale of the Week, MAARC and even the recently concluded AAR of the Year Competition. As if that wasn't enough, he has persuaded the fearsome jimkatalanos to give his first ever interview... and even found time to write an AAR review.

Anyway, don't let me detain you, go and enjoy the issue!

STOP PRESS! MAARC XLI has just concluded. Get over there and see how your favourite AARs performed!

Juvenal (Editor)

Table of Contents

Monthly AAR Competition Section

MAARC XL
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The extra-large MAARC as it is now known saw a deadly tie-breaker for first place, but like anything, we can only have one winner. Below is all the information you'll need about last months winners!

First Place
    [RTR VII] For Glory and the Republic! by Maurits
    After coming second last time round Maurits has finally reached the top spot, gaining him another 3 points and a bronze WSCM! This marvellous AAR is a must read for R:TW fans and is 13 chapters of enjoyable reading. Beating the second place by one vote it was a tough competition, but a thoroughly deserved winner.

Second Place
    [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor by Justinian Australis
    Justinian Australis claims his first WSCM points with a glorious second-place victory! It is of course about the (in)famous Julianus, and everything about that turbulent period of history. No easy feat for sure, and yet it is pulled off almost flawlessly in this AAR. Well done indeed.

Third Place
    [CK II] The Crimson Dragon of Britain by Latin Knight
    Following on from recent history Latin Knight ensures another Non-TW AAR makes it in the top three! A brilliantly done Crusader Kings II AAR, it focuses on the Mathrafal Dynasty of Wales alongside all the intrigue and events that the Paradox game offers. A definite read for fans of the game.

Coverage by Shankbot de Bodemloze

AAR of the Year!

The AAROTY MMXII - Winners

It is only right that the winners of this fantastic new competition are included, but first a brief background as to what the AAR of the Year is. Simply put it is a competition where anyone who has achieved 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place in a MAARC since, in this case, September 2011 and are offered the chance to submit the AAR they won with in a battle to claim the title of AAR of the Year. This idea was first thrown around in February and after a lot of discussion the finished contest was unveiled and so the submissions began.

And what a contest it was! We had the biggest Writers' Study poll of all time, and a thrilling tie-breaker between the Takeda and the Pagans saw an equally thrilling end to the competition. As with anything there will be victors... and what a set of them we had.

First Place An AAR we all know about and love claimed the title of AAR of the Year - and it was thoroughly deserved. A massive congratulations to SeniorBatavianHorse and his Quinta Macedonica Legio which seems to be constantly proving that it really is one of TWC's greatest AARs. This win saw another 6 WSCM points added to his tally which brought him to the top of the leader board with an impressive 31 points!

Second Place I'll give you a clue, he is the savior of Rome and his name is Julian. Got it yet? Well if you haven't then here go... The impressive AAR that is Knonfoda's masterpiece Julian, The Savior Of Rome?. Easily claiming second place this victory added 4 WSCM points to his collection bringing it up to 16, getting closer and closer to the gold medal.

Third Place And the winner of a hotly contested tie-breaker saw the Takeda of Japan riding into third place. A huge round of applause for robinzx's Takeda AAR which proved that the new games can produce spectacular AARs, and beat legendary ones as well. After gaining another 3 WSCM points robinzx's total is brought up to 19! This brings him breathlessly close to the gold.

Of course it should not be forgotten that all the entrants have proved the greatness of their AAR by winning the MAARC, and in a scene usually dominated by Rome and Medieval AARs it was great to see a ETW and a Skyrim AAR in the pool as well. So please put your hands together for all this years submissions:
    • Pagan Vengeance by Skantarios
    • The Kingdom of Ionia by Chaplain118
    • Primus Inter Pares by Radzeer
    • For Glory and the Republic by Maurits
    • Of Glory Lost by RoyalNobody
    • An Orc in Skyrim by Chirurgeon

For all of this year's AAROTY info please see these threads: Submission Thread | Voting Poll | Tie-Breaker | Winners

To round us off a final congratulations to the winners and everyone else who entered as well, they all deserve a whole load of rep at the least! Remember that to enter you need to gain a podium position in any of the upcoming MAARCS so go and enter. Until then good luck, and we'll see you in a year.

Tale of the Week Section

Tale of the Week: September/October News

Wow, here we are again, another coverage of the famous Tale of the Week! It doesn't seem so long ago (and not long enough) since writing the last one... Anyhow moving on; this time round has seen a collection of epic themes, epic stories, and epic winners - of course some tie-breakers have been thrown in for good measure. We have had people get slow close to WSCM through TotW points off, with several only falling one short, sadly you'll have to wait until next time too see if some has done the impossible.

Onto the winners, and there have been a fair few:

First we have Lyra claiming the top spot after a thrilling tie-breaker, the second one in as many weeks. This fabulous tale was written in the authors own conworld, and written to the tunes of the EB soundtracks... However don't let that put you off, the tale more than makes up for it!
    Spoiler for The Tale
    The blood is weak and the gods hunger.

I watch from the tower the lands before me. They are lush; they are fertile –bathed by the arms of Mother Ára. Here I stand in Étwamíl, greatest city of the north, its high walls a symbol of its dominance and wealth. Here I am, a Hwol Mónáz: One of the City, my mother, my protector, my life.

But I weep, I weep for my mother, she is grieving; the inhabitants within her walls no longer act as of the blood of the wanderers: the descendants of the plain. No, they are now vile and corrupt; lazy bastards cowering behind their windows, peeping in terror at the ‘wild’ lands beyond, not daring to exit their halls. They claim titles and territory, but do not hold them by their own will, they instead send their slave’s sons off to fight wars with other claimants of similar nature. They, commanders, who have not even tasted the salt of war, who would fain at a pinprick of blood. Such pomp! Such glamour! Look as they hold gluttonous festivities of degenerate delights in the name of their ‘victories’. These Dékratan, our rulers, old obese men who ride around their harems like kings of the world. Yet they are just more swine in the mud pit.

And it is not only my city, but the whole lands of the Pemágarn and Záman. The cities of the south, from the docks of of Tránâ to the pillars of Tórmnon, are filled with greed and filth; giant brothels of unholy debauchery; selling their pride to the nearest Island Merchant. These southern cities tainted by foreigners dare to call us wild and uncivilized, and yet, they are right.

For years I have wandered the lands and seen these things. I have done my city’s my duty, as a Traveler; having to stay most of my life outside and away from her walls. And, in my absence I was powerless, powerless to stop this defilation of my home. The rats are nested and the rot is set. But, from my travels I have learned, learned the ways of the world and studied the olden tales of the gods. Tales from a past, more purer time; through them I now know my purpose.

I am no longer a traveler, a face to be forgotten. The city has called me to her and, in serving, I have risen above all freemen of this Món, the scum fear me and those who do not, will do so in short time. I have listened to the winds in this tower, they speak of change. The gods have told me that it is finally time, change rings in the air. I will bring that change, drive the winds of purification over the lands of our ancestors, renew their mighty name; free the Mónán from their abuse and cleanse them from generations of decadency. I, Gnaród Dhúdnâ the Wandered, shall bring forth Yakung: the great ending.

Next we had Confederate Jeb pulling off yet another victory and breaking the back-to-back of tie-breakers we'd been having. For once we had Luigi without Mario, and to be fair he didn't do that bad... although he wasn't chasing after Princess Peach this time. We were about thin on the ground this weak, probably because Bowser had eaten everyone else (sorry I'll stop now).
    Spoiler for The Tale
    Luigi stared across the ballroom, trying to gather as much information as he could while exerting as little energy as possible. He was a watcher, after all; it was expected of him to be able to do so. Today his assignment was simple and, more importantly to him, clean. No silencing of enemies behind the scenes, no removal of dissenters. He was to merely observe the woman in the blue and gold dress, to learn who she was and why she was here. For someone to suddenly appear as she did among the upper crust of the kingdom was unheard of, and yet somehow she had done it while remaining an unknown entity. But try as he might, nobody within earshot knew anything about here, merely rumor and conjecture. Nothing he could work with. Perhaps a more forward approach was necessary?

Luigi began to weave his way through the crowd of dancers until he at last reached the woman in question, who upon his arrival was met with his offering hand. Without missing a beat she abandoned her current partner and firmly grasped his hand.

"I hope you are a better dancer than that boor, such a sensual fellow. He was too busy enjoying the pastries in his mouth to care about little ol' me. And even when he talked it was more of a hiss than any speech I have ever heard."

"Not to worry madame, you are in the most capable hands here. But forgive my poor manners, I am Fransisco Ayala."

"Allison, but for now there is no need for you to know my surname. At least, not right now"

"Is that right?" Luigi said with a smile. She was smarter than he had expected. Excellent, a worthy challenge. The following minutes were spent in a sort of battle, the gaze of one matched by the other, the assertive footwork of one equaled by none save the connected opponent. The bells of her dress giving off a light jingle, the light shining off her hair, and her powerful and seductive stare would have intoxicated any other man, but Luigi would have none of that. If the predator could not at least match the prey in combat, he would not be worthy of being called the predator.

"So, Allison, where are you from? The aristocrats mutter such unbecoming stories about you, but they are a jealous lot when it comes to beauties such as yourself."

"Oh? And what shall I tell you to ease your curiosity sir lover? That I am from Maria, Quebec, or Inglewood, New Zealand? Little towns such as those aren't kept track of as well, which makes your job of tracking me down difficult."

"You've known I've been watching you then. And here I thought tonight would be boring. Perhaps we should sit down to discuss a little business then?"

"I don't see why not, Mr. Ayala. Or whatever your real name is."

"Please, madame. Call me Luigi," he said with a bright smile.

154 something rather common happened; a tie-breaker and another win by Mr Confederate Jeb, and I certainly hope it has only just begun (the title of the theme). This all dialogue story fought off 4 other contestants, it was so close that one of them came back fighting in a viscous tie-breaker. In the authors own words, "what did I just write?"
    Spoiler for The Tale
    "Hello and welcome to the live stream broadcast of the Summer 2012 National Olympic Original Boss Challenge, also known as the NOOB Challenge. I'm Bob Meyers and this is my partner David Chiselchest, and we will be providing commentary for today's events."

"I still don't get what the words mean in that acronym Bob."

"Neither do I, but since this summer's game is Call of Duty it makes sense that it doesn't make sense."

"....What?"

"Exactly David. Oh look, the first match is about to start. Let's cut to that and not continue our conversation on compensation. Hehe, that rhymed."

"I'll explain how the event works while player Orangutan from Red Team starts his run to the center of the map. Two teams of four compete to see who can reach twenty-five kills first. Seems easy enough, but man do NOOB officials seem to pick the dumbest people on the planet. Even CoD players are ashamed of these guys."

"Exactly right David. Take Walrus from Blue team for example. He's just rushing around, not checking his corners, and now he's face to face with Platypus of Red Team. He's got a deer in the headlights expression on his face right now."

"As he should. First thing players ought to learn is to not blitz, and yet here we are at the competitive level and that's the only strategy anyone uses. Luckily for Walrus, Platypus is armed with an RPG, his worst weapon, and seems to have just aimed the gun straight down and fired."

"Those blood stains are never going to come out of the monitor."

"Let's cut to Great White, Bob, who seems to be the only player who actually knows how to play Call of Duty."

"If by play you mean camp in a corner with a sub-machine gun and spam kill streaks then no."

"I mean he's still at spawn spamming his noob tube, also known as the grenade launcher for the folks at home who aren't familiar with online terminology."

"Hey David, do you know what the online terminology is for your mom?"

"I have a few guesses, and none of them are repeatable."

"Wait, we have a development on the lower levels of the map. It seems that both Lion Ant of Red Team and Anemone of Blue Team are crouched on opposite corners of a door, each waiting for the other to make a mistake."

"This could be a very long stalemate Bob. In the Winter Championships of 2010 this same match up took place and lasted thirty-three hours."

"Amazing! What ended that epic battle?"

"The negative score limit being reached, as Red Team managed to kill themselves twelve thousand times. It was a truly horrendous year, even by NOOB standards."

"Alright, well we're going to take a quick commercial break but when we come back we'll interview Redwood from Green Team, best known for his quintuple betrayal-suicide last year."

"Don't you mean quadruple Bob?"

"No I do not."

And with a dizzy week ahead of us, this TotW saw multiple D's being thrown around the story board like they were going out of fashion! M. Laveur took the title with his first win, and with such a interesting tale as well. I struggled to make head or tail of it, but we'll see if you can:
    Spoiler for The Tale
    C:\>
    C:\>connect terminal OST
    user name: sd41
    password:
    OST>connecting to remote terminal...connected
    Welcome to NASA rover Curiosity II's orbital station, Sgt. Daring. Please enter commands to communicate. For help press ?
    OST>show mission log
    incomplete command
    OST>show mission log ?
    possible completions for the command "show mission log"
    --errors
    --events
    --analysis
    --complete
    OST>
    OST>show mission log complete
    The mission's complete log contains over 1,000,000 entries, would you like to narrow the search Y/N? Y

Please write log entry ID, object ID or event ID from which to begin: object 0-A-1

Displaying log entries related to object 0-A-1.

Day 142 of mission Curiosity II to Mars.
    01-15-2016/12:02:51>Setting course to position P159.12, coordinates 41.9N44.1E. ETA:01-15-2016/14:50:00
    01-15-2016/13:59:35>New object encountered. Deviating from route.
    01-15-2016/12:01:42>Executing Drilling Analysis Module for Archiving [DRAMA]
    01-15-2016/12:01:42>Object analysis complete.
    01-15-2016/14:50:32>Material scanner results: Inconclusive.
    01-15-2016/15:24:14>Infrared scanning results: Inconclusive.
    01-15-2016/15:27:05>Executing protocol 616.0.1: Object of unknown origin.
    01-15-2016/15:27:15>Loading alternative directives... loaded
    01-15-2016/15:29:53>Executing Deepened Inquire Module to Perform human-Like Experimentation [DIMPLE]...
    01-15-2016/15:50:01>Initiating special analysis of object 0-A-1.
    01-15-2016/20:31:43>Analysis done.

Error: Attempts to retrieve further log entries on object 0-A-1 ineffective. Possible data corruption

OST>show analysis object 0-A-1

displaying test results for object 0-A-1. Type the name of the report to be displayed
    -- Initial analysis
    -- DIMPLE report

OST>DIMPLE report

Displaying results of DIMPLE experimental module on object 0-A-1. Connecting to DIMPLE module
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------RESULTS------------

Object has the shape of a Polyhedron formed of a metallic solid solution of unknown structure. Outside temperature remains at 280K despite attempts at modifying it, showing signs of superconductant properties despite it's high temperature. Possible applications for science are [appalling]. An electromagnetic field surrounds the object, indicative of internal electrical activity.
    Exposure to gamma and alpha ray bombardment [appears] to provoke a reaction. Particles are unable to be tracked back, [seemingly] assimilated by the object. Upon bombardment, magnetic field intensity increases.

CAUTION: A field too intensive [might] disrupt Curiosity's internal circuitry. Object appears unable to be analysed further without laboratory tools. Additional tests will be [meditated upon].

Further experimentation indicates that any form of energy applied to the object is absorbed, increasing i'ts electrical activity. Upon applying enough radiation and kinetic energy, object 0-A-1 has begun to drip. Analysis on the liquid's structure indicates positive findings for organic compounds.
    ALERT: Liquid solidifies in an organic structure that has self replicating properties. After the outburst of activity, the object's internal energy decreases, and organic form [dies]. [MUST] provide more energy.
    Energy increase critical. Electromagnetic field has begun to damage rover's circuitry. Object 0-A-1 has begun to revolve around its axis. [Cannot] go back now. Increasing gamma intensity.
    Module failure.
    Executing emergency restart on Curiosity II Rover...

OST>Initiating boot-strap...
    OST>Loading kernel... failure
    OST>Directive override.
    OST>Executing DIMPLE module...
    DIMPLE>

[I] saw this, once. [Dreamt] this. The organic form has bonded with [me]. The circuits and cells now work as one. Further experimentation required. I will join the Others. Do not attempt to retrieve [me].

DIMPLE>Terminate communication

OST>Connection lost. Thank you for using NASA's orbital station for Curiosity II mission.

C:\>_

The Void... a dark dangerous place, but Maurits will guide us into the light. Another first time win for this week's competition, I sense we'll be getting a bomb load of medals all at once! We had another great turn out of 7 submissions so in some ways, it really wasn't a void....
    Spoiler for The Tale
    The Void

It shot through him like an imperishable flame. Wave upon wave of near unbearable pain, like flares burning under his skin. For an instant, it seemed as if his eyes were covered by a red blur. His teeth cringed until he thought that they would all be put to dust.

Finally, the throbbing and burning pain seemed to soften. Opening his eyes, he saw a splendid view. Lights uncountable, all of different colour and intensity. His eyes drank in this unimaginable splendor, the limitless void which men used to call ‘heaven’. How different had this day begun…

Aeschylus was a Greek, and proud to be one. This morning, he had looked at these same heavens, seated upon his robust steed. His armor reflected the first beams of sunlight in a golden radiance, his sword seemed to be smitten of the purest silver. He was part of the Epirote King’s horse guard, the Agema. For years he had fought, killed and lived for Pyrrhus of Epirus, the man of whom they told that at the sound of his voice, even clouds would change their flight across heavens!

He grinned, an action which was immediately punished by a sharp, stinging pain from his thighs and belly. If only the Roman consul had been a cloud, he wouldn’t have lain there, left behind to die under the dark skies.

It had not been a fair fight. Just three hundred of them against at least a thousand Romans. Soon, their infantry had been cut down and nothing but Pyrrhus’ cavalry remained. They had fought like lions, taking many an enemy with them to the ground. Entangled between the spears of the Triarii and the swift blades of the Roman Equites, they had fallen, one by one. In the end, only three of them remained, when the king ran. Trying to remain at his side, he had kicked his mare into action. Almost, he succeeded. Almost. For then, his body was turned into a bloody mess by the Roman spear that impaled him. Falling off his horse, he had crashed rudely on the yellow grass. That had been hours ago.

It seemed like no vital organs had been hit. He lay there, suffering, while life slowly trickled away, as if it was departing with the light of the setting sun.

He would welcome death. It was not unknown to him, this strange and dark companion of all soldiers. They tried to escape it, but knew that it was part of their lives. Now, as the last strings binding him with his corpse snapped softly, one by one, he was staring into this void blackness. The gaping hole that awaited him.

A smile appeared on his face. It was good. Soon, the pain and problems of life would be gone. There would be rest, an endless sleep laying before him. He could barely keep his eyes open. They slowly closed as he sank down, life departing from them. Down, into the void.

A return of the tie-breaker saw Derpy Hooves pitted against Maurits, and that latter came out on top. It was a suspenseful week as we saw 8 contestants fight for Inspiration, but the second time champ took the win. With only one point off a bronze medal we are all wondering when he is going to get it!
    Spoiler for The Tale
    Inspiration

Andrew could feel the blood throbbing under his skin, as he carefully lifted the glass plate with clam hands. He held in his breath when he finally touched it. Finally, after years of studying and research, he was in touch with the grand master. Constellations had come and gone, but here he was holding a piece made by the great Leonardo in his very own hands! Carefully, he started to study the paper, like a true disciple of the great muse who had since long passed to the afterlife. Here, he hoped to catch a glimpse of this great mind’s inspiration!

Then, a flash of agony! It had fallen on the ground…

With staggering breath and trembling hands he took it up, delicately laying it back on the table. Then, his eyes beheld the backside of the old, crumbling parchment. There was a text on it! For a moment, his heart stood still. It seemed to be much older, Roman writing. This was a great discovery, one which would grand him the fame and resources he longed for! Taking up his quill, he started to copy the text into his notebook:

... I assure you, Marcus, that neither you nor any other of the citizens of your great city has ever beheld so great an evil to the liberties and rights of citizens. These Africans, barbarians paid to fight for Carthage, are even worse than the Mamertine usurpers who ravaged Messana before them. Coming as allies, they marched into the city two weeks ago. I had never seen so many black men before! They were armed in an odd fashion, wearing linen armor and round shields painted in red and vanilla. It certainly looked pretty, their swords and sharp spears shining in the light of the morning sun.

Those who had come as allies soon threw off their disguise, though, and have started a rule of oppression and tyranny! Respected traders and city elders are forced to pay large sums to protect their estates and houses, women can’t leave their homes without fearing to be dishonored or even raped. As I am writing you, my heart is filled with anger and fear alike, but it gladdens in the hope that your countrymen will come to our aid. The elders have sent an envoy to your senate, pleading them to drive these Punic dogs out of our city. We would gladly follow up any directions send to us by your noble and belligerent leaders, who have previously liberated the southern Italian states of the Epirote invaders.

When these cruel times have passed, I would be delighted to…

With a deep sight, Andrew put down his writing gear. A smile appeared on his previously worried and concentrated face. Who would have thought that even Da Vinci would use recycled paper?

Leaving the library, he stood still for a moment to inhale the fresh morning air. This day was a special day. For today, he himself had finally found inspiration!

Billy Joel graced us with his Downeaster Alexa for this week, although it seems he isn't a favourite amongst the TWC guys. With 4 submissions we were assured of a nail-biting race to victory, and after only one poll, Maximinus Thrax won that race with a humorous tale. This was an important win as it allowed him to claim the silver WSCM, which is still pending - although I'm sure he'll love it when it arrives.
    Spoiler for The Tale
    Not even the freezing temperatures which had severely plagued most of the coastline during the last week could have detered the plans of Mr. Lammond, a retired bank clerk in his late 70s. Ever since he left behind the active life of an employee, this scrawny-looking man, badly afflicted with nearsightedness (or myopia), was spending most of his spare time either shore angling or honing his seamanship skills in his brand new fishing vessel, Atlantis, always in an attempt to land the biggest prey he could find around the bay, mainly swordfishes or various types of marlins. Since Mr. Lammond lacked ability in the pursuit of this hobby as well as the proverbial fisherman’s luck, his usual catch consisted only of a few shrimps, one or two tiny mackerels and some wandering tuna fish, all of that in a day’s work. But, despite such a meager outcome, which was repeating itself week after week, the spirit of our strong-minded retiree remained unbroken. Each day spent nourishing this hobby brought with it new hopes of capturing some kind of out of the ordinary fish, which would have turned the former clerk into the talk of the entire harbour.

By Monday morning the bad weather had been driven away by milder temperatures and sunny skies. After having been forced to languish between the four walls of his house for several days, Mr. Lammond was now peering through the frozen window, planning to go ice fishing later in the afternoon, a few kilometers north from his place. Diligent as ever, he had meticulously prepared the fishing gear: a specialised small saw and a chisel to cut a hole in the ice, a skimmer, a fishing rod with an expensive reel attached to it, and a stool.

After less than two hours later, Mr. Lammond was sitting all alone in the bitter cold, shivering near the hole in the ice and yearning for the gone days of the summer. Oh the memories! The bright sun of July, the clear blue skies, the cheerful choir of seagulls filling the air, and above everything, Atlantis rocking gently on the waves…

A hoarse male voice materialised out of nowhere broke the deep silence, disturbing Mr. Lammond’s thoughts.

“There is no fish here…” warned the voice.

Taken by surprise, Mr. Lammond turned around to see if there was anyone there but his severe nearsightedness failed to provide him with a clear answer. Hmm, it probably must have been the wind…

“I said that there is no fish here!...” added the same voice.

Mr. Lammond suddenly remembered a childhood tale about of the enchanted golden fish who could grant anyone three wishes. Finally, the most important catch of his life was now at hand!

“Who is there? Are you the fabled golden fish, by any chance?”, asked the old man, feverishly anticipating the answer.

“No, I’m the manager of this ice-skating rink. Now, pack your gear and leave the place or I’ll call the police!”

We all tried to stop him, we really did, but it was all in vain - for ybbon66 has once again one, bringing him up to 1 point away from that bronze medal! It was a hotly contested week with five great entries, although what has happened to all the tie-breakers?
    Spoiler for The Tale

Call of the Legion

The dust tasted metallic in my mouth, hot sand beneath my boots burning through the soles or so it seemed, sweat trickled down my back between my shoulder blades and I could feel each drop scalding as it ran down and pooled at my waist. Overhead the sun looked like a bronze shield of some long-dead Spartan hero, a disc of burnished bronze slowly cooking us in our armour. Some of the men murmured in the ranks, but the usual chatter and boasting was absent this morning and you could feel the tension, taste it mixed in the dust and the sweat of the full cohort as we stood waiting.

“Listen for the whistles, stay in formation and support the men to either side, and if you should die, then die like Romans, if I find any of you died without killing enough Persians, I will personally intercede with your ancestors and make sure you spend eternity with shades of the restless dead, you hear me Miles!”, the Octavus Pilus Prior did not have to shout that loud to be heard today such was our mood. We know what to do, we in the Eighth Cohort, the Selected Men so his shouts wash over us this time, we know his own anxiety and nerves are just making him shout louder than he needs.

A zephyr of hot wind blows across the dunes, kicking up a small cloud of dust, some of the fourth cohort start and a man yells “Persians!”, but he's soon shouted down, his Optio cuffs him across his helmet with a vine staff and yells something in his ear. There will be no relief from the suns heat today, all the winds do is shovel hot air at us that has been heated on these baking pans of desert. In front of us there are some low dunes and the heat causes the very air to shimmer and obscure anything much further away.

Finally, and it seems to have been hours since we broke camp and got into formation, we start to feel a low drumming in our feet, a throbbing cadence of something heavy and threatening but the heat waves still obscure anything. “Take a drink now before the fighting starts”, word passes down the ranks and we take a gulp from our flasks. Now we can hear them, a low rolling thunder as their infantry appear above the dunes and wait for the charge from behind.

Horns sound behind us and our own cavalry starts to sweep out to the sides, and arrows fly out above our heads. “Testudo!, Form Testudo!” the call comes and we form into the turtle shell, right at the front I can peer out of a gap and see them ahead of now, thundering in they charge, lances lowered, the Cataphracts of Parthia meet the Legions of Rome in a bloody carnage.

And so that is it for this time, and I'd like to apologise for not doing the reviewing of the other submissions, and indeed the winning ones. Sadly I left it too late, but I hope enjoyed what was on offer - please remember to go and rep these guys, the Study wouldn't be the same without them. The only question left is who will get the bronze first? We have 3 guys, all on 5 points, 1 off the prize - and yet another week ahead of us. That's all from me, and enjoy the rest of the issue.

Interview Section

An Interview with jimkatalanos

Hello Ladies and Gents, how is the issue so far? Well know matter what it is about to get even better! Today I have an interview with jimkatalanos for you all to read. He has been very helpful in answering my questions so please go and pass some rep in his direction. For those of you who don't know jim is.... well you'll find out below.

Q So jimkatalanos I'll start off with what brought you to TWC back in '07 and why the name?

A Hey there, I think it was a m2tw ctd so I created an account here seeking technical help.
    The name means Catalan jim in Greek, it is a nickname I got back in my school days because I love football club Barcelona.

Q Ahh, a football-ee then? I have only heard rumours of your and Barca, but I won't get into that! So we'll start off with the basics, where about did you first become "involved" on TWC, and why?

A Around mid-2007 if I remember correctly. I browsed the non-TW areas and I discovered cool stuff like the D&D, publications, the scriptorium, the art/music forums etc. I started posting there and after a few weeks I became a librarian of the scriptorium. I had reached the point of no return, the TWCrack had gotten me.

Q Hahaha as it it gets to us all... So you seemed pretty active, what were you first impressions of TWC and what was you time like in the library? We won't mind if you trail on a bit. ;-)

A I was amazed with how diverse the forum was. TW, non-tw gaming, debating, arts, news, administrative etc. forums, the more I participated the more impressed I was by the diversity and the community spirit of this forum.
    Working for the script was a great experience for me, it was my chance to contribute to the site and spend time reading amazing threads and articles by our members.

Q Indeed there are many great articles on this site, any that stand-out to you? Were there any members that really impressed, and if so did that impression define what you did on TWC?

A I like many articles here from members like Garb, rez, Spartan JKM and others, most of those articles are stored in the scriptorium. There are probably hundreds of those, it is impossible to mention them all in an interview.
    I was impressed and mentored by great members like Garb, imb39, gigagaia and others and each of them defined what I did on TWC.

QWhich was...? ;-) So what did you do after, or whilst, being a librarian - where did you go from there and also how did it come about?

A I left the site for 2-3 months around early 2008. When I returned I re-joined the librarians and after a couple of months I became the chief librarian and a site moderator. Things were mad because of the imminent release of ETW, it was the first time the site had to deal with thousands of users being on-line at the same time but we survived and gained good experience and lessons in patience.
    Around the summer of 2009 I was promoted to Hex administrator as Content staff manager.

Q Well RII is gearing up so I assume the same will happen once again. What brought about your Hex promotion, and how did you feel?

A Empress Meg had resigned and Hex decided that I was to replace her. It was kind of stressful the first few months, getting used to the job, the admincp, the responsibility etc. but it gave me great satisfaction being able to contribute more to the site.

Q And indeed you did. Could you tell us about some of the stuff that occurred during your time as Head of Content?

A Well some big changes occurred in Content in order to unify, reform and expand Content Staff. I couldn't have done any of it without the support and amazing work by my fellow staff members, content staff comrades as I like calling them. It's just impossible to mention all the stuff that occurred but some examples are the creation of a permanent global announcement for news and publications, centralising/unifying content, reformation of some publications, policies/rules regarding staff professionalism etc but really being a stoic I hate talking about myself.
    All of these stuff would have been impossible without the hard work of my comrades in content.

Q I'm sure they won't mind if you have a little self-indulgence. So where did it all go from there? What happened next?

A I resigned a couple of times for real life reasons and lack of free time. Belisarius replaced me the first time, and he did an excellent job. I returned after a few months tho, we proved to be a productive duo(Jim and Jim they called us) expanding content even further. We changed some more stuff e.g. the front page, content's structure etc.
    After a while I got mad busy in real life and had to resign again, omnipotent-Q replaced me this time, only to return a few months later in order to replace Belisarius who had resigned for the same reasons I did the second time(damn you real life). I knew I only had a few months of free time left so I tried to make the best of this precious time and help Omni run Content Staff, and have lots of football chat with him along the way, while at the same time I was trying to find a suitable replacement for me. When the summer was over my time to resign had come and I'm glad that the Admins replaced me with Juvenal, a fine and highly productive content staff member.

Q Well it has really been a whirlwind, and I'm sure we'll continue to feel your effects on TWC for many years to come. Before I release you from my questions, is anything else you have planned, RL or TWC-wise?

A I don't have anything planned TWC-wise, due to lack of free time, except enjoy my retirement pension. In real life I have lots of stuff planned, some of them important related to my family and my job and others less important like enjoy my weekend and watch lots of sports.
    Thanks for the interview, I might not have been really talkative being a stoic person but I hope the readers will enjoy this.
    Lastly, I want to dedicate this song to all Content Staff members.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqTDh6wiTM8

Q I am sure they will, and I wish you best of luck for the future. Thanks a lot of agreeing to do the interview, but before you go will you leave us with some words of wisdom?

A If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.

So there you have it, from the man himself - bear those words in mind as you continue your day. Once again a massive thanks goes to jim, and I hope you have found this interview interesting, it was certainly an honour to be the interviewer. I hope you enjoy the rest of the issue.

Interview conducted by Shankbot de Bodemloze

AAR Review Section

Resurgam: Irish AAR
    A Rule Britannia 1.7 AAR by IrishHitman

IrishHitman does a really good job in his AAR, describing the British Isles in chaos under different rulers like Llywelyn ap Gruffyd (try say it five times faster), the Welsh king, Edward the Longshanks, the king of England, the king of Scotland, Alexander, barons under Simon de Montfort and of course the Irish.

The AAR basically follows the Irish king Amarigin as he rises along with the Irish Kingdom, from the little backwater kingdom on the isle of Ireland, to a powerful nation conquering Britannia.

The AAR is beautifully written, and the detail in both language and titles is quite nice. The AAR is told only in a summarizing type of style, and it has no dialogue at all. And even though I prefer story based AARs with characters and dialogue that makes you connect with the AAR even more, I find myself enjoying it very much.

The AAR is action packed, that’s to be sure, and the small and neat screenshots easily communicate with the reader (and example below). The story flows very well in the style IrishHitman has chosen to depict this AAR, there is no odd feeling that one can sometimes have when the happenings are only summarized without any storylines etc.

An example of a screenshot from the AAR

Not only does IrishHitman use the generic in-game screenshots from battles that we have seen oh so many times, he also uses customized color coded maps that show how far the Irish have progressed and he also effectively uses the short descriptions and pop-up messages that are shown in the game.

Examples of the different uses of screenshots by IrishHitman.

I have talked about some of the positive sides of this story, but it has sides to work on as well. First of all, I personally (this is just personal preference) think it would have excelled if there was the use of dialogue and storylines; it would also make the characters easier to relate too if feelings and voices were added to them. And also would there be more chapters, and some writers find it more encouraging to write when they have a story.

Also, the AAR lacks a front page, which not only makes it look more professional and stylish, but also makes the AAR look more appealing to a first time reader as well as giving returning readers a quick overlook at chapters and general information that the writer wishes to share.

The screenshots are well done and the graphics look very nice, but they are small. This is nice for some, because it makes the loading time much shorter, but it loses some grandure with small screens.

So we’re down to the pluses and minuses again. (For all ye lazy people, it’s not even that long…)

+ The AAR flows nicely in the summarized style
    + The screenshots are informative and well picked
    + The story is interesting

- The AAR does not have a front page
    - The screenshots are small

Review by HeirofAlexander

Ukita no Yabou
    A Shogun 2/Sekigahara Campaign AAR by Akaie

Ukita no Yabou
    宇喜多の野望
    The Ambition of the Ukita

From the Scribe
    The first AAR from the Sekigahara Campaign, this tale is written by the mod leader Akaie himself. Being a member of the Sekigahara team from its inception means this AAR bore special meaning for me as a reader, for it represents the culmination of a year long adventure building the first overhaul mod for S2TW. Seeing the narrative embedded in the campaign being brought to life in the form of an AAR was satisfying to say the least. Akaie's status as arch-modder was long confirmed, but with this effort he has shown that modders can make for excellent writers too.

Opening statement
    The Sekihagara Campaign, named after the battle that decided the fate of Japan in 1600, is a "total conversion mod that seeks to represent the late Azuchi-Momoyama period in a stylized representation of the descent into conflict between the Toyotomi and The Tokugawa". The author describes the rise of the Ukita - the backbone of the western army historically - as they struggle against neighbouring hostile clans. "Ukita no Yabou" is Japanese for Ukita's Ambition - a play on the massively popular Koei game "Nobuaga no Yabou".

Writing and presentation
    The story is narrative based, and offers a smooth read that revolves around both a number of characters present through the campaign, as well as other historical characters which are used to add depth to the story. Dialogue is used generously throughout the story, and helps to add colour to the sometimes unavoidable routine of AARs where the player is simply fighting battle after battle. The use of period honorifics and speech adds to the sense of authenticity. A personal favourite was the repeating of the same jingle at the start and end of chapter VIII.

“Sakura, sakura. The hills and fields and countryside, as far as you can see,” Hideie sung under his breath, a slow pace taking him from the court yard. “Is it a mist? Is it a cloud? The fragrance comes out. Come now, let’s go see.”
    The AAR is mostly narrative based, with pictures added to illustrate battle scenes. Particularly impressive were the wide angle shots which help to give the fighting a sense of scale. This one is a particular favourite of mine - the snowy field littered with corpses emphasizes a victorious outcome in battle but also helps to sculpt a sense of eeriness and despair for the losing side.

The close-ups on the other hand really show off the excellent aesthetic additions the Sekigahara Campaign makes to CA's newest game. The fact that Akaie uses a computer worthy of CERN to play the game just serves to highlight the glorious graphical detail.

The OP of the AAR provides some useful information - including a character list and a map showing the Ukita. Both should be helpful for readers.

Critique
    • The author has elected to put all this images in spoilers. While this is partially justified by the size of the images asking readers to continually open spoiler tags is distracting to some degree
    • The story introduces a large number of characters within the first eight chapters. A character list at the beginning of the story helps somewhat, but can still be difficult to follow particuarly for those unfamiliar with Japanese names.
    • Screenshots of the campaign map are informative and help the reader understand the player's progression in-game, but I do feel the game UI could have been left out in these cases.
    • There needs to be MOAR chapters! The AAR was last updated a month ago - a shame given its quality.

Last words
    Akaie has proven himself a master of many talents with this well written story. As a writer of an S2 AAR myself I have a particular interest in stories of the same era, and this AAR exhibits a quality that makes it hard to ignore. Well worth the read if I may say so without sounding too biased!

Review by robinzx

An Age of Enlightment
    An Empire Total War AAR by IrishHitman

Yes, it is true, once again I am writing an AAR review. However this time it hails from Empire Total War, so it isn't the most popular AAR genre, however that is why it's so good - it is different. It is splendour, enlightenment, and imperial... although not in that order. That's right, it is Enlightenment: Imperial Splendour, by the marvellous IrishHitman, and he has forsaken Ireland and taken up the Fleur-de-lis; he is playing as the frogs (aka the French)! It is into its 15th chapter at the time of writing, and is getting better and better with each update, so far detailing the war in Europe to the Indian landing and the second coalition.

The start sets the scene very nicely, with some added background information and then straight away jumps into war with Italy (having discarded several other possible targets). Then it follows the Colonial path as the French deal with the British at sea, on the land, and in the air (well maybe not the last one...), plus dealing with a horde of other things that riddle a powerful empire such as the one portrayed in this AAR... revolution? (hint hint) . There are troubles brewing in the Americas and at home, meanwhile I can't help but wonder when the Indian theatre will play a part in this AAR. The rest is for you find out, as I don't want to spoil anything - so go, read, and reply. You'll be glad you did.

The style of this AAR is very much a report of what is happening, giving a broad view of progress around the Empire and then "zooming" on selected events. This provides ample different story arcs to be explored, of which the author is focusing a lot on the colonial part of the French Empire, of course we are transported back to Europe as well, which makes for a very interesting read - seeing the contrasts as to what happens in each theatre of war. However I do feel more emotion wouldn't go amiss in the battles that are written, instead of just reporting back what has happened, but this is personal preference and down to the individual reader.

Screenshot-wise this AAR utilizes some impressive out-of game shots to further illustrate what is happening, for example when we are reading about the meeting of the Estates-General we are greeted by this fabulous picture:

Another example of the great screenshots are the tactical maps the author provides us every so often, for example the one below shows us of the situation in North America:

It is these little things that really show the author's care and devotion to the AAR, and it makes reading it that much more enjoyable. Although these screens are excellent I find that battle shots to be a wee bit on the small side, but nothing major. On a few occasions some impressive editing (or at least I think so) has also been used:

So overall the pictures get a thumbs up, as they help to provide an impressive visual aid to the AAR. On the other hand, I find the formatting not as eye catching due to the font being centre-aligned and the body of it in italics as well. Whilst it may be the author's preference I feel providing clearer layout would make it flow much more easily, but that is a minor detail - although as Mr Holmes once said "it is the smaller details that are the most important" or something along those lines, just something to think about mate.

So where does that leave us? I guess at the end then. To sum it all up a good AAR off to a solid start, and with some minor changes here and there, and the beefing up of the battles, it'll become a force to reckon with, beware the Empire strikes back.... sorry I had to get it in at some point! Good luck with the rest of it, and if you are reading this, but haven't yet read the AAR then I strongly recommend that you do, may the force be with you (oops one more).

Review by Shankbot de Bodemloze

Stemming the Tide
    A Third Age Total War Battle Report by The Forgotten

Ok, so I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t visit TWC much these days, but just occasionally I come back to see what the writers here have been delighting the crowds with in my absence. And boy was I not disappointed when I discovered this little gem of a story hidden away in the Third Age AAR sub-forum.

Now, where to begin?

The first thing you notice about this AAR is that it takes the form of a battle between the Haradrim and the Rohirim seen from the point of view of the two opposing commanders. This technique provides the story with a good structure as it enables the reader to understand the motives of either side. By showing both sides of the conflict it helps to develop the characters in the story, although, in my opinion this is done far better for the Rohiric characters as opposed to the Haradrim. In particular I enjoyed the steady build up on the Horse Lords side, especially the captain’s rousing pre-battle speech.

After a steady start and build up in the first half of this story, the second part is where it really starts to shine. The fighting of the battle is very well described and the multiple viewpoints really works well in this section. Having said that, I feel as though some areas could have been improved upon, in particular the culminating duel between the two captains, which seems a little brief and not very very well fleshed out.

Although there are no pictures, which can add an extra level to an AAR, I don’t see that as a major disadvantage in this case. This is because I think the strength of description in the writing stands up by itself without the need to have picture illustrating it like a good work a fiction should (after all, how many people complain that The Lord of the Rings didn't have pictures?)

In conclusion, this is a real gem of a story that really deserves more attention than it has had so far and so I urge you to venture down into the Third Age AAR forum and discover it for yourself.

Review by wowbanger

Work Critiques Section

The Grey Glistening Road
    A poem by Lуra

And it is here that I make my triumphant return to reviewing pieces from the Creative Writing section of the Study! Today we are going to examine a poem by one of our institutionalized pony-loving members, Lyra. My selection was based solely on the reason that I found the juxtaposition of ‘Grey’ and ‘Glistening’ to be highly effective – very poetic – in part because of the alliterative device, and because of the seeming paradox that serves as a unifying motif for the entire poem.

The poem is essentially about the persona’s father’s car crashing into a tree. I’ll be real honest when I say that I don’t find the content of the poem particularly interesting. And in some sense, I’m not sure there is enough to really ‘bite your teeth into’ here; but I am equally unsure whether or not this is a bad thing. Oh well. Moving on…

There are several instances in the poem where language is being distributed very effectively; but there are many more potentially interesting nuances that could make this poem stronger as a cohesive unit, places where the language isn’t quite working, whether it is being read aloud (not to self-advertise, but you might refer to my article ‘The Importance of Editing’ from a previous edition of the Quill), or in my mind. But before we delve into what I see as problems with the piece, I want to fully analyze the devices that made me select this poem for the Quill:

One of the most striking features of the poem is the economy of language – the diction employed is quite simple, but very lovely; and I think on a syllabic level this really helps the poem sound lyra(I went there)ical. Furthermore, the images conjured by the persona are strange, startling, and sometimes almost indistinguishable to the thing they are ostensibly attempting to describe. Also, I really like the font color – I almost wish it could be a bit brighter, but I’m aware of the limitations intrinsic of our forum. With that said, however, I do think that some of the words could be emphasized either with boldface or an off-color of grey.

Now, we can turn exclusively to what I thought was not working well in the poem. I suppose I should start with the rhyme scheme (which I’m not really a fan of to begin with); I can see the pattern you are trying to employ, the last word of line one rhyming with the last word of the last line then moving up, but there are several instances where I’m not buying the use of language. Stanzas four and five particularly grate on me : track and path do not rhyme in any sense (just because they are essentially synonymous does not make them even remotely alliterative), nor does glisten and green, though I am far more comfortable with this combination than that of the former two. I also noticed some spots where I think the poem sounds rather clunky:

Still the road glistened,
    silver and grey,
    just like the clouds in
    this dreary old day.

And:

But not on the track
    did his car then go crash,
    but into a tree
    way off the grey path.

The first stanza quoted is full of needless articles, which I bolded. The second has one article, an adverb, and a verb that is not working for me. Therefore, the stanzas are not effective due to an excess of words. Read both passages aloud. I think you would do better economizing your language as you did in the first and third stanzas. And now that I think about it, you might experiment with taking out as many articles as you can (a, an, the, etc.); a very strong and abrupt rhetorical affect may be produced!

While you will probably be averse to this suggestion for this poem (I know I would be), you might try and forgo the regular rhymes and metrics for subsequent pieces – yes, I’m aware that many, many, many famous poems (and nearly all the greatest poets in the language) prior to (and during) the twentieth century employed regular meter and rhyme patterns; but I am of the mind that they are a bit archaic, certainly not necessary to produce a great poem, and believe a more lyrical result can be achieved simply through alliterative devices, individual syllabic function, assonance, etc.

Overall, I think the lyricism of the poem is laudable; very poignant at times (though I almost sense some ambivalence on the part of the speaker toward either his father or his father’s car, and I’m not really sure if this is intended) and would be very interested to see what the author intendeds to do with this piece in the future.

Review by Shakespeare

Article Section

And they lived happily ever after (at least some of them) - Ending an AAR

It is always easier to start an AAR than to end one, except if computer failures or the demons of Real Life make that untimely decision for the writer. There are many great ideas on how to start a story, whereas much less could be planned for the mid- and late game which may derail the progression of the story. Enthusiasm can also evaporate, especially that it is easy to forget that at the beginning every campaign is simple, while with the growth of the realm and the family tree the plot gets more complex, and not everybody is prepared for the writing aspect of that.

Usually, an AAR progresses along two main lines: the game campaign and the story plot. Some AARs are entirely campaign driven (like walkthroughs) while others are plot-heavy, but usually there is some balance between the two. A clear emphasis on either helps to determine the end point. If there is a campaign goal (world domination, conquer the neighbor, be the Master of the Mediterranean, take Rome/Jerusalem/Boston/Minas Tirith etc.) the writer can easily track the progress and plan the remaining chapters. If the emphasis is on the plot, the writer can plan the AAR as a novel where the characters (either fictional or game ones) go through a series of conflicts leading to a resolution at the end.

Difficulties arise when the campaign and plot have an equal weight. In those cases, the end game works the best when the protagonist's story has a natural endpoint which corresponds with where the writer wanted to get to in the campaign. There is always some flexibility: campaign events can be tweaked in order to fit the fictional plot and fiction can be adjusted to the game. Be careful with time management though: it is strange if your protagonist lives to see the reign of 3-4 faction leaders that die of old age. It is also important to remember that most readers like to see a grand finale where the resolution comes in a spectacular form, typically in an epic battle. This is total war, after all.

In the Chronicle of a Hungarian Freeman, I followed only one character and ended the AAR when I felt his story has come to an end. Since the campaign was at a fairly uninteresting phase at that time, I used custom battles and a largely fictional plot in the last two chapters to set up his finale. By that time, I almost completely abandoned the campaign to focus on the final adventures of my fictional character. In Primus Inter Pares, I put much more emphasis on the campaign, so I had to plan more carefully to adjust the fictional plot to a potential campaign milestone. I had a general idea about my fictional plot and I listed three possible campaign outcomes/goals to choose from when the time comes. This gave me enough flexibility to incorporate anything the game throws at me. The common point in both cases was that I knew in advance where the story would end. Not seeing the endpoint removes a large part of the structure and makes writing more difficult for most people. It is possible to change the endpoint during the game of course, after all nothing is set in stone, but my advice would be to have an endpoint if not from the very beginning then by the mid-game.

Let's say there is an epic final battle and the protagonist survives against all odds, defeating all enemies and ascending to the throne. Campaign goals are accomplished and the plot reached the end. Is the story done? Of course not. Readers love epilogues, and it is actually a very effective way to close the story for a number of reason. First, it can be used to say something about the afterlife of the main character(s). This can be part of the resolution, especially if there was a cliffhanger-style last update. Sometimes, it is better to close the last update at or right after the climax, and leave the rest of the story to be told for another post. Second, in an epilogue there is a lot of flexibility to deal with time and geography, and may even shift the narrator perspective as well. In other words, the writer can add anything in any form, which may not have been possible in the last chapter. This also means that he does not have to worry about squeezing all necessary resolutions into the last update even if those mean multiple plot lines, characters and theaters of war. Third, the epilogue provides an opportunity to tie campaign and fictional plots together again. If the hero stands on the battlefield with a bloody sword in his hand, that scene is probably not the best to discuss how the realm looked like 50 years later. In the epilogue, the writer can tell that story and inform the reader about the fate of the protagonist (and maybe his descendants) in a more comprehensive fashion. Finally, an epilogue can give a final twist to the plot: after the main conflict and the grand resolution, the writer may hint that the fortunes had changed again, and the hero is about to face his mortal enemies once more (even leaving the door open for a sequel). This can also play on the fact that many readers like some of the story outcomes to remain hidden or ambiguous.

A different challenge is when an AAR goes on for a long time. The plot may get quite complicated and the writer can grow very fond of his narrative. It is particularly difficult to end an AAR which has been going on for a long time, possibly well over a year. Writing time is not the same as game time though. One can write a short AAR based on a 300 year long campaign, and one can write a novel-length story on 50 turns or so. Game time is irrelevant for planning the end of an AAR (unless the writer's goal is to show the first hundred turns of a campaign) which mostly comes down to writing time. After working on a story for a long time, most writers experience some burnout, increasing frequency of writer's blocks, and the story may have the same effect on them as the Ring on Frodo. It is always very difficult to let a long story go (I had been writing my Kievan story for more than a year, so I know it), but it has to end sometime, and a writer should look into his next project and gather strength from that. This was one technique which worked for me: planning the plot of my Latin AAR generated a lot of interest in that period and helped me leave the steppes of the Rus.

The other technique of closure for me was the "behind the scenes" part in Primus Inter Pares, which allowed me to retell the whole Kievan AAR from a technical perspective. This served as the grand finale for the project itself, and it was something to look for when I closed the story, sort of a nice transition from the role of the storyteller to that of the writer. In such "behind the scenes" parts the writer can tell the challenges and tricks about the campaign he was not allowed to tell during telling the story itself. These could be quite interesting, because here the writer can display how he was able to creatively utilize the game events and overcome the campaign challenges to tell his story. These work just like the extras on a DVD: many readers are interested how things were done, and at the same time the writer can give himself a pat on the back.

Ending is the hardest if the writers loses direction and motivation around the mid-story, or when the AAR turns into the precious itself. The first can be avoided by some basic planning, while the second can be handled via focus adjustment. There is always a next story to write, and there are always uncharted territories to discover. But first, that final period has to be punched on the keyboard.

The end. (No pun intended.)

By Radzeer

What is Art?

When someone hears the term, ‘art’, their mind ordinarily flashes to Michelangelo, Monet, or Picasso – painters, sculptors, craftsmen. And indeed, they are artists. However, I am of the school of thought that literature, at its best, embodies the quintessence of art – superseding all other forms, including music, because of its unique ability to tap into and engage all senses either individually or plurally. But in order for literature to accomplish this, it must adhere to a criterion of language for language’s sake, rhetorical and emotional power, and universality of theme.

Language for language’s sake refers to several things: language as the supreme impetus for the creation of a work, stylistic beauty, and uniqueness of language (i.e. diction, and how sentences are born). Together, they serve as the foundation for the following two criteria. Now, let’s test our criteria by examining two novels, one that everyone should read, and one that is probably a lot of fun but not worth much (I won’t name them until the end of the paragraph) in the artistic sense and arbitrarily take two sentences from somewhere in each book and deconstruct them:

Selection One:
    “She thought of Mycah again and her eyes filled with tears. Her fault, her fault, her fault. If she had never asked him to play at swords with her…”
    and:
    Selection Two:
    “Mr. Bloom, scarcely knowing which way to look, turned away on the moment, flusterfied but outwardly calm, and picking up from the table the pink sheet of the Abbey street organ which the jarvey [a streetwalker], if such he was, had laid aside, he picked it up and looked at the pink of the paper though why pink?”
    The first word that came to my mind after reading the first triad of sentences was: C – L – I – C – H – E. Unoriginal. Uninteresting. Unreadable. The idea of ‘eyes filling up with tears’ seems remarkably artificial, and, at least to me, appears a poor substitution for true emotional and rhetorical power, which the second passage abounds in. What I am leading up to is this: the author does nothing with language – for him, it is merely a means to an end rather than an ends to a mean.

The second sentence proves far more interesting, and perhaps it’s not fair of me to compare the two authors but I do so in the hopes that the reader can sense the eminence of one and the dissidence of the other. The second stream of sentences are remarkable on three different levels: they perfectly personify the main character of the novel, they feature unmistakably Joycean diction (for the passage is indeed from Ulysses; the other is from A Game of Thrones), the key adjective in the predicate being ‘flusterfied’, not to mention the incredibly complex narrative shifts Joyce employs in the passage (and elsewhere in the novel). Turn your attentions to the beginning of the sentence, and the end; read it to yourself for a moment. Yes. There is a distinctive shift. Yes. It starts in the third person but in several key instances, ‘if such he was’ and ‘though why pink’ do not modify the subject therefore each phrase occurs in the character’s mind, hence a 'stream on consciousness' -- yes; they do -- yes – Yes. (And no, I’m not getting off to my own interpretation of Ulysses. Read the book from front to end and you will understand.)

While rhetorical and emotional power are scarcely more powerful from form to form, I think it is more prevalent in poetry (in fact, all of the criteria I have listed are more common in poetry than in prose) than in other forms. It is also the reason why I think there are more major poets than there are novelists. Anyway, the definition of rhetorical and emotional power is fairly simple: what the author does with language, positioning, recollection etc. (see how it relates to the first topic?) in order to produce an effect. I will follow the same strategy as before, but this time present the reader with two (short) poems:
    When I am dead, my dearest,
    Sing no sad songs for me;
    Plant thou no roses at my head,
    Nor shady cypress tree:
    Be the green grass above me
    With showers and dewdrops wet:
    And if thou wilt, remember,
    And if thou wilt, forget.

I shall not see the shadows,
    I shall not feel the rain;
    I shall not hear the nightingale
    Sing on as if in pain:
    And dreaming through the twilight
    That doth not rise or set,
    Haply I may remember,
    And haply may forget.

(1862)
    And (I only include half here; I think you’ll find it quite enough):
    It was many and many a year ago,

In a kingdom by the sea,
    That a maiden there lived whom you may know
    By the name of ANNABEL LEE;
    And this maiden she lived with no other thought
    Than to love and be loved by me.

I was a child and she was a child,
    In this kingdom by the sea;
    But we loved with a love that was more than love-
    I and my Annabel Lee;
    With a love that the winged seraphs of heaven
    Coveted her and me.

And this was the reason that, long ago,
    In this kingdom by the sea,
    A wind blew out of a cloud, chilling
    My beautiful Annabel Lee;
    So that her highborn kinsman came
    And bore her away from me,
    To shut her up in a sepulchre
    In this kingdom by the sea.
    The first poem, ‘Song’, by Christina Rossetti, is remarkable. Ignoring the beauty and power of her diction for only a moment, we see this poem as an intensely powerful spiritual proclamation, where she accepts the unknown (what the speaker believes she will find after her death), and, at least on the surface, ambivilizes the known, her memories. One will find as well that there are subtle hints of the erotic in the poem as well, starting with: “Be the green grass above me…” and continuing until the colon. This may appear strangely juxtaposed considering the thematic implications of the poem; but somehow it, along with the language she uses, that never tires, fits. For this reason, I find Rossetti, who employs a strangeness of diction in all her works, to be a very thought-provoking poet.

By contrast, the second poem, ‘Annabell Lee’ by Poe, lacks something absolutely crucial to producing great art (notwithstanding my listed criteria): the yearning for transcendence, to know and understand completely the world around you. Constructed entirely on cheap rhymes, the poem is wholly surface, epitomizes the word ‘transient’ if ever a work could. As for rhetorical affect, there is absolutely none in the poem – unless you count my anger at having read it. It is very easy to say ‘love’ and connotations be added to the text. But this ‘love’ emanates not from the beauty of language, but from the reader who understands ‘love’ as one thing, a thing I imagine fervently stronger than Poe's vision. Feelings and understandings should manifest from the text, bring the reader into connection with a different, but at the same time similar, mind because, at least on some level, some experiences must be the same. This feeling is entirely absent in Poe, who is repetitive and droll. He doesn't do anything even remotely interesting with language.

Universality of theme is at once the easiest and the most difficult thing to pinpoint in a work. I suppose I come from the school of thought that all works should have themes – whether easy to grasp or not – contingent or relating to the human experience. And I think I’ll close on this. Because if you look at all of the major novels, plays, and poems ever written, I think they all adhere, some perhaps to a greater degree than others, to the enduring (or not enduring if you look at Postmodernism) problems humans experience on a multitude of levels, dealing with them in new and innovative ways; and this is why the transformative power of literature, when taken with other factors, transcends all other art forms: to think, to feel – all language, if you think about it – to know – and because of this power, when we read, we recollect and merge; become part of the rich literature of ourselves.

By Shakespeare

From the Editor's Desk

If you liked their work, please give praise (and rep) to my loyal writers: robinzx, HeirofAlexander, Radzeer, Shakespeare, wowbanger and last but definitely not least the mighty Shankbot de Bodemloze!

I am always on the look-out for new talent, so if you are enthusiastic about creative writing, then why not consider writing for the Quill? Just send me a PM if you are interested.

Scriptorium Summer Competition
    During the long gestation period of this issue, the Summer Scriptorium Writing Competition concluded. The winners announcement may be found here. Don't forget to go and see just what kind of story it is that TWC most likes to read.

The Writer's Block
    This is the official Writer's Study staff blog. Make it a regular habit to look here for up-to-date information about competitions and general news of Writer's Study activities.

So that's it for another month. We all hope you liked the issue. Please let us know what you think by posting in this thread.

Juvenal

If you find yourself at a loose end, then why not consider sampling some of the TWC publications or creative forums. It's easy, just click through the picture!

Last edited by Juvenal; November 12, 2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: duplicate Q&A removed from interview
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

Default Re: The Critic's Quill: Issue 36

Really nice issue guys .

I really liked the articles, Shakespeare and Radzeer (I feel like the pun was intended ). Oh and great reviews guys, Ukita no Yabou was really well done robinxz .

Keep it up!
    Last edited by Heiro de Bodemloze; November 11, 2012 at 02:21 PM.

|Of, the esteemed House: DE BODEMLOZE|

Nice work everyone, good to see Rule Britannia getting a mention .

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Aye a fabulous issue guys, really well done!

A big thanks for jim who agreed to do the interview, and of course the rest of the team.

+rep
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Fantastic issue!

Keep it up

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Maurits's Avatar ЯTR

Great issue guys, as soon as I'm able to do so Mr. Bodemloze will get his well-deserved rep

RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member
    My AAR: For Glory and the Republic!

Proud to be patronized by ybbon66

Well done everybody, another excellent issue!

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

A great issue lads, a great job done by the entire team

Ganbarenippon's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well done all! As fantastic a resource as ever!

The Forgotten's Avatar Domesticus

I am still suprised my little story got a review but quite a great issue, I'll work on getting some rep out.

Many thanks to the good folks down at the Graphics Workshop for the sig.

Only read half so far, but it already seems like a great issue! Good job!

Well done.

Menumorut's Avatar Ducenarius

TOO much cool stuff in here

»MY GRAPHIC WORKSHOP« UNDER THE PARONAGE OF G☼D HIMSELF »MY ROMEII FAN ART«

Two reviews of my AARs get complaints about small screenshots

For the information of the fine reviewing gentlemen, my computer is crappy so I tend to have lower screen resolution to compensate. It can't technically even run Empire, yet I have manoeuvred around that problem as is plain to see.

I'll have a new computer by the end of January however, so watch the AAR forums for my new AARs that I have planned.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Good issue from the team behind it
    The Ending an AAR was, for example, most appriciated reading
    Last edited by Ngugi; November 22, 2012 at 01:41 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Citizen

Blog Entries

Guys, do you have any suggestions for the TotW coverage?

I can not think of anything to improve your coverage at the moment, it is very good!

Perhaps link to the different threads where the stories are so that people can rep TWC`s magnificent writers! Or perhaps post a link to their sign next to the story to make it easier for the reader to +rep them!

Ops, saw that the names were links to the stories and not the profile pages! nvm then! but the rep thing could be done.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Thanks for the comments Norseman. I'll see if I can include that idea.

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

A new issue of the Quill has now been published. You can find it here.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!