Page 98 of 104 FirstFirst ... 4873888990919293949596979899100101102103104 LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 2067

Thread: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here - NOT FOR BUG REPORTS!

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here - NOT FOR BUG REPORTS!

Sometimes at the end of a siege, when the siege turn limit is up, the AI army marches out to fight, and at other times the AI army just vanishes without a trace. Is there a rhyme or reason to this behavior? I usually play with BGRIV or BGRV.
    Roland searched the continent for the man who'd done him in
    He found him in Mombasa in a barroom drinking gin
    Roland aimed his Thompson gun. He didn't say a word
    But he blew Van Owen's body from there to Johannesburg
    - Warren Zevon - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - 1978

marcp's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here

Hey there too all.

I have been having some issues with M2tw+SS6.4 since the latest Win10 Nov. 29th update, actually my whole system became unstable and restored, thankfully things have calmed down. Now onto my issue. My laptop isn't a gaming rig but I have i7 with a Gtx 950 4gb card. While the i7 onboard graphics are able to handle most of the large battles, on high vs highest settings I'd ideally like to be running SS6.4 on my nvidia card default...problem is I can run Kingdoms alone with the gtx but I get driver failure when I am running the mod. This is not a steam version of M2tw nor Kingdoms.

I am wondering if this game is a bit too long in the tooth to be run reliably with a late model gpu? Anyone out there running their SS mod with a comparable system spec? Has anything special been done to have it so? BTW also running SS and Kingdoms in Win Vista service pk. 2 as this is what the program seems to prefer best.

As an aside...I am sure I read this somewhere prior but isn't SS a bit unreliable inherently? I will crash during a battle, usually a siege once every so often and it doesn't seem dependent on troop or castle/town level or garrison.

Any advice etc. would be appreciated...if only for comforts sake

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here - NOT FOR BUG REPORTS!

I'm playing a campaign but I can't tell what year it is because the number doesn't show on the bottom left of the screen.

Does anyone know:

a) how to fix this?

or

b) if I can find out the date some other way in-game

or

c) what the start date of the SS 6.4 Late Campaign is so I can figure it out by comparing with my turn count.

EDIT: the start date comes up in the launcher so the mystery of (c) has been solved. Late campaign begins in 1220.
    Last edited by Balor; December 12, 2016 at 03:47 PM.
    I am Balor.

Hi Balor,

a) idk
    b) click on your faction icon (red Lion on yellow ground). There you can find stats, actual year must be showed.

hf

I have a couple questions as I am trying to mod SS6.4 a bit.

1. How do armor upgrades work in SS6.4? Unit uprades are easy to understand when they correspond to smith upgrades - armor levels 1, 2, 3, 4. But in Stainless Steel they look something like this:

armour_ug_levels 22, 23, 26, 27

armour_ug_levels 11, 21, 21, 23

I would have guessed that these levels corresponded to years played in the game, but that doesn't seem to make sense because they game spans over two centuries, yet all upgrades seem to appear between 0 and 28 or so. And also, why would some upgrades have the same number twice, such as 21, 21? Furthermore, I believe that these upgrades are still tied to smith levels. Could anyone please explain to me how this works as I am creating some additional upgrades, but I want them to make sense within the scheme of the mod?

2. Do recruitment pool replenishment times only apply to the human player, or do they apply to the AI as well?

I thank you for any response in advance, and I will be sure to rep anyone who replies! Thanks!!!
    Last edited by Kilgore Trout; December 16, 2016 at 05:35 PM.

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The reason for this is that SS uses Point Blank's Real Combat system which is far more complex than the simple 6 level vanilla system. Here's the full table:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

{EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_0}None
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_1}Leather
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_2}Padded
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_3}Leather Lamellar
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_4}Light Brigandine
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_5}Light Scale
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_6}Partial Light Mail
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_7}Light Mail
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_8}Brigandine
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_9}Scale
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_10}Partial Heavy Mail
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_11}Heavy Mail
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_12}Buff Coat
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_13}Heavy Brigandine
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_14}Heavy Scale
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_15}Coat of Plates
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_16}Partial Plate
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_17}Breastplate
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_18}Late Brigandine
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_19}Late Lamellar
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_20}Heavy Splint
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_21}Full Plate
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_22}Renaissance Half Plate
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_23}Improved Metallurgy
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_24}Gothic Plate
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_25}Renaissance 3-Quarter Plate
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_26}Advanced Metallurgy
    {EMT_ARMOUR_LEVEL_27}Increased Armor Thickness

The reason for double upgrades is that armour upgrades are hardcoded, each upgrade adds around 2 armour (not 1 as shown in the unit info screen) but sometimes the difference between different armours is greater than that so the unit can be upgraded twice to keep the stats consistent with the unit's appearance. FYI, the system SS uses is outdated, in the latest version there are as much as 43 levels

As for your second question, as far as I can see in export_descr_buildings.txt there is no distinction between ai and the player. I know there is in Broken Crescent and TATW
    Last edited by jurcek1987; December 17, 2016 at 06:02 PM.

1. So if I give an upgrade from level 10 to level 15, the upgraded unit gets 2 additional armor points, and the upgrade will become available when Coat of Plates become available in the game?

armour_ug_levels 10, 15
    armour_ug_models hashishim, hashishim_ug1

2. And if I give the following upgrade, the upgraded unit gets 4 additional armor points?
    armour_ug_levels 10, 15, 15
    armour_ug_models hashishim, hashishim_ug1, hashishim_ug1

3. With Real Combat / Real Recruitment the proper buildings are still required for armor upgrades, as well as the corresponding historical event? Is this correct?

4. Jurcek 1987 said that SS.6.4 uses an outdated RC/RR. I see that Point Blank is still working on RC/RR 2.0, which is supposed to drastically alter battle mechanics. I wonder where I can find the latest functionable RC/RR, if it also improves battle mechanics much, and if it would be easily portable to SS6.4? I have searched the forums, but couldn't locate the information I am looking for.

Thanks Jurcek 1987 for your help. I have done a huge amount of work importing units and altering other files slightly more to my liking in SS6.4 (over several hundred hours worth, and I have learned a lot - it's quite fun, actually, except when the I mess up and have to figure out what I did wrong), and I very much appreciate your kind assistance!
    Last edited by Kilgore Trout; December 19, 2016 at 11:23 PM.

How do I get Infantry Generals? I remember seeing some1 having a 2-handed axe unit for Norway, but have no idea how u put that in. For some factions like Norway and Denmark its much more fitting to have an infantry general and it would add some cool diversity.

@DarkLordFollower
    Infantry Generals appear only in certain factions, like scotland, norway and danes i think, it could be more factions but i dont know for certain.

And i have a questions regarding crashes, i can't play any battle myself now, since it crashes everytime in the middle of the battle or when im lucky at the loading screens, i dont even
    have the permanent arrow option and my pc is freezing cold, so i dont know why my battles keep crashing, in the vanilla game it doesn't, in every campaign i have at max. 3-4 crashes
    but with this mod i get a crash every 15 turn and at each battle.

Quote Originally Posted by NotGo0d View Post
    @DarkLordFollower
    Infantry Generals appear only in certain factions, like scotland, norway and danes i think, it could be more factions but i dont know for certain.

And i have a questions regarding crashes, i can't play any battle myself now, since it crashes everytime in the middle of the battle or when im lucky at the loading screens, i dont even
    have the permanent arrow option and my pc is freezing cold, so i dont know why my battles keep crashing, in the vanilla game it doesn't, in every campaign i have at max. 3-4 crashes
    but with this mod i get a crash every 15 turn and at each battle.
    Last time I checked none of my Norway generals were infantry. Can these be trained later in the game or?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLordFollower View Post
    Last time I checked none of my Norway generals were infantry. Can these be trained later in the game or?
    im not sure, in the vanilla game it was random which unit the general got.
    The last time i played Norway was 8 years ago or so, so i dont really know if they got
    infantry generals or not. But i thought they had a mix, like the scottish generals, most
    of them were infantry, but not all of them. I think it depends on luck.

And can you play the game without crashes? It confuses me why it seems im the only one
    which can't play the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by NotGo0d View Post
    im not sure, in the vanilla game it was random which unit the general got.
    The last time i played Norway was 8 years ago or so, so i dont really know if they got
    infantry generals or not. But i thought they had a mix, like the scottish generals, most
    of them were infantry, but not all of them. I think it depends on luck.

And can you play the game without crashes? It confuses me why it seems im the only one
    which can't play the mod.
    As far as i know there are no infantry generals in normal SS, but I saw someone mentioning that he had 1 for Norway somehow. Dunno about ur game maybe u gotta reinstall. Maybe one of the submods causes it

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLordFollower View Post
    As far as i know there are no infantry generals in normal SS, but I saw someone mentioning that he had 1 for Norway somehow. Dunno about ur game maybe u gotta reinstall. Maybe one of the submods causes it
    i know that only nordic factions as norway and denmak have infantry general bodyguards because at eraly game and period they dont usually use cavalry units

try this submod, is the next stainless steel
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...roject-(SSHIP)
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Anyone has same name and lastname generals before? I think I might have that soon

http://imgur.com/a/g3CRk

Will it cause me some trouble or glitch since they have the same first name and last name and what if I use cheat like give_trait "Alain Capet" xxxx will it be applied to both of them?

sorry for my bad English

Does anybody else crash in late game before/during/after a battle?

I get
    A fatal graphics error has occured and the game will now be shut down. THis is normally caused by having your game graphics options set too high, please try running the game again and lowering your graphics before entering a battle.
    I have a pretty strong PC and can run other games no problem. I get these messages when in siege battles. Is it mostly related with graphics or is there another reason I might be crashing? Please lemme know fam

I only get crashes if I have been playing the game too long. Whenever the game crashes, I just use that time to take a break. Get some fresh air, strategise, grab a coffee. Or if it is "that time of the day" go to bed.

This thread should always be on the front page.

hello everyone, i know this is already 2017 but i still love the game and mod
    btw i want to ask, bout kings trait.
    i play as england, and i bout to conquer spain and portugese. but my kings order is centralized, which is i cant attack without faction heir or king, that give me some headche. i need my king to recruit some elite tropps, and my council to lead the war. but since only faction heir and king that can only lead the war outside the border it is hard to replace the unit.
    my question is
    is this kings order due to my empire is got bigger? or bcz my king is in the spain,? coz i notice some of my noble got traits like knight of santiago after i move them to some spain castel.

Would simply going into that unit values file and editing down all the cavalry charges to 50% help with the balance?

Any opinions?

Losthief's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by LedaDeluhi View Post
    hello everyone, i know this is already 2017 but i still love the game and mod
    btw i want to ask, bout kings trait.
    i play as england, and i bout to conquer spain and portugese. but my kings order is centralized, which is i cant attack without faction heir or king, that give me some headche. i need my king to recruit some elite tropps, and my council to lead the war. but since only faction heir and king that can only lead the war outside the border it is hard to replace the unit.
    my question is
    is this kings order due to my empire is got bigger? or bcz my king is in the spain,? coz i notice some of my noble got traits like knight of santiago after i move them to some spain castel.

this is a bgr trait, and yes has to do with faction size and army size. High size = low zeal = more central command.

Ur heir and faction leader should have an adminstrator or some other ancillary that they can give to another general and he can then recruit. That way your faction leader and heir can lead armies, and your adminstrators/whatever can recruit. Read the bgr manual for more details from its sub-mod thread. Should have a link on the last page(s) iirc.
    LOSTHIEF
    I'd rather be lucky than skilled!