Page 19 of 104 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728294469 ... LastLast

Thread: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here - NOT FOR BUG REPORTS!

Tiro

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here - NOT FOR BUG REPORTS!

Quote Originally Posted by FriendoftheDork View Post
    My point was, if you (one) can justify quality weapons represented by experience, then you can represent the advantages of an archer's guild/woodsmens guild/bowyers guild/robin hood guild by experience to archers too.

As for balance, that is a good point. Before at least Swordsmiths guild gave a different kind of bonus, meaning having both (all 3) kinds were useful, but increasing attack values itself is supposedly broken in RC?

A possible fix could be to increase the honor from the other two guilds that specializes in one kind of unit - +2 xp/+3 xp/ +3xp and +2xp global. Or something like that. Having units starting at 2 or 3 xp means it will take less time and kills to each higher levels of xp, right?

On the other hand, in my experience and another poster here getting multiple Swordsmith's guilds seems unlikely hard, so that might be a game feature of the mod to balance them.

I even changed it so that training infantry gives +5 guild points rather than +1 guild point, and my fortress where im building all the barracks and armories, and pumping out all the swordsmen I can, still won't offer me level 1 Swordsmith's guild.
    I've heard that a weapon bonus is equivalent to 7 attack bonus,which is unrealistic.

In fact,I find archers'experience hard to get because there ought to be a large number of unarmored victims,while infantrys'experience could be easily get when sieging/defending a settlement.

Anyway,I think Archers'Guild is useful,for Venice , ERE ,Egypt ,Turkey,Kwarezm,and of course England.

As I have listed,most eastern factions use archers,while western factions just use skirmishers.

Personally,as a player,I think the biggest difference is the difference of battle strategy.

Northern factions'archers shoot in most part of the battle,because they use infantry.
    Eastern factions'archers shoot ha&unarmored foes in many parts of the battle.

Western factions merely rely on their cav and some elite inf.Skirmishers are used to do a little damage to enemy's cav before the battle.They disappear after that.

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here - NOT FOR BUG REPORTS!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingcat View Post
    I've heard that a weapon bonus is equivalent to 7 attack bonus,which is unrealistic.

In fact,I find archers'experience hard to get because there ought to be a large number of unarmored victims,while infantrys'experience could be easily get when sieging/defending a settlement.

Anyway,I think Archers'Guild is useful,for Venice , ERE ,Egypt ,Turkey,Kwarezm,and of course England.

As I have listed,most eastern factions use archers,while western factions just use skirmishers.

Personally,as a player,I think the biggest difference is the difference of battle strategy.

Northern factions'archers shoot in most part of the battle,because they use infantry.
    Eastern factions'archers shoot ha&unarmored foes in many parts of the battle.

Western factions merely rely on their cav and some elite inf.Skirmishers are used to do a little damage to enemy's cav before the battle.They disappear after that.
    Hmm yeah 7 sounds like alot.

I usually get easy xp with archers, because they are protected and take no casualties with getting like 70-150 kills per battle - while infantry lose alot of men, and the men who get kills also die. Cavalry is what steals most of the xp anyway.

Tiro

@FriendoftheDork
    Perhaps that's why swordsmith's guild is so limited and hard to get.

And about Muslim archers,as I have argued,are used as skirmishers,so I don't think they should be effected by Archer's Guild.

is there a way to get only the orignal medieval 2 total war and kingdoms music?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingcat View Post
    @FriendoftheDork
    Perhaps that's why swordsmith's guild is so limited and hard to get.

And about Muslim archers,as I have argued,are used as skirmishers,so I don't think they should be effected by Archer's Guild.
    archers are archers, no matter if they skirmish or not. Muslim archers does good work in shooting down the enemy, and can be used in great numbers to win the battle almost by themselves.

I reclassified muslim archers and toxotae as missile units. I should probably do the rest for the AIs archers, but I can't be bothered really. Since I'm the one using them it shouldn't affect the AI.

Andytheplatypus's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
    is there a way to get only the orignal medieval 2 total war and kingdoms music?

I could be wrong but I think if you delete ss music it will use original music

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by FriendoftheDork View Post
    archers are archers, no matter if they skirmish or not. Muslim archers does good work in shooting down the enemy, and can be used in great numbers to win the battle almost by themselves.

I reclassified muslim archers and toxotae as missile units. I should probably do the rest for the AIs archers, but I can't be bothered really. Since I'm the one using them it shouldn't affect the AI.
    Anyway,it's determined by yourself.
    Ai's strategy will somehow be affected,though I don't know how.

How can I change what character names are chosen for a specific faction or culture. I have little experience experience in total war modding. And names like Pacheco and Toribio for Aragon don't really work for me. Anyway to mod like the database of names for their faction?

Quote Originally Posted by DadeRoyal View Post
    How can I change what character names are chosen for a specific faction or culture. I have little experience experience in total war modding. And names like Pacheco and Toribio for Aragon don't really work for me. Anyway to mod like the database of names for their faction?
    Just wondering - why don't they work for you?

"Pacheco - first found in Castile, prominent among the Christian kingdoms of medieval Spain."

That's what I found about it.

As for the modding: try changing the descr_name file (medieval2/mods/ss6.3/data folder). Make a copy of it first, then open it with notepad++ or regular notepad. Remove and add names to the faction you want. You might have to change another file too because of this warning:
    ;;Remember to put the right internal name in the strat file!

I'm guessing that means you have to go into descr_strat file (medieval2/mods/ss6.3/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign) and change all the names you have removed from the descr_name file to names that exist (or I guess it will crash).

I know they are Spanish and/or Catalan names but most Aragonese kings had names like Alfonso, Peter, Ferdinand, or John. That's what I'd like to see. And I researched Pacheco and it was actually a surname which ticked me off lol cause that's what my king is named. Its weird for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DadeRoyal View Post
    I know they are Spanish and/or Catalan names but most Aragonese kings had names like Alfonso, Peter, Ferdinand, or John. That's what I'd like to see. And I researched Pacheco and it was actually a surname which ticked me off lol cause that's what my king is named. Its weird for me.
    Peter and John are English versions, I think the Spanish version would be Pedro and Juan.

Remember that surnames are often old first names, and vice versa.

Let me know how that modding works out, try with a new campaign first, it might not be save-game compatible.

Yeah I know. I used the anglicised version for simplicity. Didn't check if it was save game compatible, but I already changed some of them. I'll probably have to get a backup from the download file if it crashes. Thanks again.

okay so i tried a night battle, but i can't see anything
    it seems worthless

there isn't even a moon shining it seems

but i really like the heavy blizzard fog, unfortunately the AI doesn't care about it
    could be really fun against other players who can't see much either

Also how can i revert an excommunication? Some nordic people invaded a city, then the next turn the pope gave me a mission to cease attacks against the enemy, but i already had a siege in place and forgot to lift it. So now i have more enemies trying to attack me.

Night Battles are good for fighting only one enemy army at a time. There is a way to make them less dark so you can actually see what's going on.

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Click "wait" button at deployment, it should move time forward. I think the benefits of traits still apply, not 100% sure tought...

Quote Originally Posted by Kahvipannu View Post
    Click "wait" button at deployment, it should move time forward. I think the benefits of traits still apply, not 100% sure tought...
    The benefit of not having to fight all armies at once still applies of course. I always wait in night battles, and I still have gotten traits that improve command ("likes the dark" etc) after them.

thats cool thanks

I need a quick answer here, how do I change factions relationship at the start of campaign? for example HRE is at war with Papal States, how do I remove that?

Quote Originally Posted by napoleonic View Post
    I need a quick answer here, how do I change factions relationship at the start of campaign? for example HRE is at war with Papal States, how do I remove that?
    My educated guess is the descr_strat file - it has a diplomacy section in it with faction relations etc.

-1.0 is Abysmal.

This part here should be pretty self-explanatory:

faction_relationships venice, at_war_with slave
    faction_relationships sicily, at_war_with slave
    faction_relationships milan, at_war_with slave
    faction_relationships papal_states, at_war_with slave
    faction_relationships denmark, at_war_with slave
    faction_relationships egypt, at_war_with slave, timurids
    faction_relationships scotland, at_war_with slave
    faction_relationships cumans, at_war_with slave, mongols
    faction_relationships mongols, at_war_with kievan_rus, kwarezm, timurids, turks, poland, slave, cumans, russia, hungary, byzantium