Page 17 of 104 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526274267 ... LastLast

Thread: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here - NOT FOR BUG REPORTS!

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here - NOT FOR BUG REPORTS!

can't u just live with that? SS use a system that is based on real world research, so you may find it strange but it is what it is supposed to be in reality not some random put into the mod.

just accept that, can't u?

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here - NOT FOR BUG REPORTS!

Hey

In my previous danish campaign I accepted a swordsmith guild in one of my castles what I used a s a war center to recruit and retrain professional soldiers for my main army. so it was handy. As my kingdom expanded I needed another war center closer to the front lines. So I moved my councillor to another castle, upgraded the blacksmith and started to recruit swordmen. But no offer from swordsmith guild at all. The swordsmith guild was on 2nd level alreadfy in my previous war center( master swordsmith if I remember correctly). Then I deleted the swordsmith guild thinking that may be only one in my kingdom. A few turns later the swordsmith guild made an offer to settle down in my new war center. I had four merchant guild, two horse breeder, all levels. I experienced this with only the swordsmith. Could it be only one swordsmith guild per faction applies?

Cheers

one more question. I tried to search but only found partial answers.

how could we increase the piety of generals?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingcat View Post
    Ahh.

go to SS6.3\data\export_descr_unit.txt

every unit has a long list.Find its category and class.

Muslim Archers:Category infantry,Class Skirmisher
    Mourtatoi:Category infantry,Class Missile.

I think changing it is enough,but I don't know whether they are save-compatible or not.

A bit Interesting,because I have always thought that Muslim Archers have 4 attack..
    Don't criticize me so hard,and I'll feel guilty
    I tested it, it seems save-game compatible. I'm not sure if it's worth it to change for all those units, if instead I could change what kind of units the guild improves that would be far better. I don't mind that it could include javeliners as well.

Quote Originally Posted by napoleonic View Post
    can't u just live with that? SS use a system that is based on real world research, so you may find it strange but it is what it is supposed to be in reality not some random put into the mod.

just accept that, can't u?
    How exactly does real world research factor into how a guild improves certain kinds of archers? In any way it only improves valor, which means it only becomes better at melee, right? Or is there a hidden accuracy improvement I don't know about?

Now if the guild had an explanation that only certain elite archer units could be members of said guild, then I could perhaps by it. Right now it says +1 valour to all missile units, and you'd think archers are just that.

Quote Originally Posted by pandras82 View Post
    Hey

In my previous danish campaign I accepted a swordsmith guild in one of my castles what I used a s a war center to recruit and retrain professional soldiers for my main army. so it was handy. As my kingdom expanded I needed another war center closer to the front lines. So I moved my councillor to another castle, upgraded the blacksmith and started to recruit swordmen. But no offer from swordsmith guild at all. The swordsmith guild was on 2nd level alreadfy in my previous war center( master swordsmith if I remember correctly). Then I deleted the swordsmith guild thinking that may be only one in my kingdom. A few turns later the swordsmith guild made an offer to settle down in my new war center. I had four merchant guild, two horse breeder, all levels. I experienced this with only the swordsmith. Could it be only one swordsmith guild per faction applies?

Cheers
    I have also noticed the guild acting strange. I tried to get one in Ragusa, but got one in Cyprus instead, where I haven't had the technology to recruit swordsmen anyway. Now that I have it there I got no offers for Ragusa, despite the fact that I've been pumping out swordsmen, spearmen, acritae and anything else related to infantry. Max 1 Swordsmith guild might be a balancing decision, as it is clearly superior to all the other military guilds.

Quote Originally Posted by pandras82 View Post
    one more question. I tried to search but only found partial answers.

how could we increase the piety of generals?
    Send them to Constantinople (Hagia Sophia). If that is difficult (say, the Byzantines won't let you in with your army), try building churches. The first level built should have a good chance of increasing the Piety of the governor. Also recruiting a cleric there might help, as can other religious buildings, if available.

Going on crusades etc. should also increase the piety of the generals involved.

How exactly does real world research factor into how a guild improves certain kinds of archers? In any way it only improves valor, which means it only becomes better at melee, right? Or is there a hidden accuracy improvement I don't know about?

Now if the guild had an explanation that only certain elite archer units could be members of said guild, then I could perhaps by it. Right now it says +1 valour to all missile units, and you'd think archers are just that.
    there's slight accuracy bonus / type of chevron experience bonus for ranged units.

however my point is, do you think that joining an archery guild in real world would magically made someone become better at archery? IMO no, it's unrealistic.

Andytheplatypus's Avatar Domesticus

there's slight accuracy bonus / type of chevron experience bonus for ranged units.

however my point is, do you think that joining an archery guild in real world would magically made someone become better at archery? IMO no, it's unrealistic.
    they would have obviously had more training then someone who wasnt in a guild and didn't have real world experience

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Andytheplatypus View Post
    they would have obviously had more training then someone who wasnt in a guild and didn't have real world experience
    I agree.A guild is something that protects its members and enhances their skills.

Well that's good to hear. And yes, people who join martial arts organizations and take active part in it usually has the chance to improve their skills, so this is realistic. What's not realistic is that only a few special kinds of archers get this instead of all archers, unless the guild was especially exclusive - and there is not mention of this in game. Sounds to me you're just trying to justify whatever is in the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Andytheplatypus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingcat View Post
    I agree.A guild is something that protects its members and enhances their skills.
    Indeed.

And yes, people who join martial arts organizations and take active part in it usually has the chance to improve their skills, so this is realistic.
    archer guild like in this game isn't like a dojo. and those who joined them in game isn't some amateurs who never fired arrows, they are soldiers who trained in archery, joining such guild shouldn't suddenly made them significantly better at killing enemies.

besides 1 or 2 experience level are quite easy to earn.

to each his own.

Well, as far as I know, the whole concept of Archer/Swordsman guilds are quite wrong in general.
    Guilds were used by various crafts (bakers, millers, painters and so forth), not military and fighters.

archer guild like in this game isn't like a dojo. and those who joined them in game isn't some amateurs who never fired arrows, they are soldiers who trained in archery, joining such guild shouldn't suddenly made them significantly better at killing enemies.

besides 1 or 2 experience level are quite easy to earn.

to each his own.
    You're saying the Muslim archers of sicily were amateurs who never fired arrows? Even the militias trained with their bows, otherwise they wouldn't be able to shoot in tandem.

And they're not "suddenly better", they can be retrained taking a whole year of training and some money. Besides this is a game, and that's how upgrades work.

Now explain to me how this does not make sense but the horseman's guild and even the Weaponsmith guild works - people are better at fighting because they have a guild for weaponsmiths? No, it's a game mechanism and that's all it is.

When you pay money for a guild, it should give a noticeable effect.

tbh, yes I'm no fan of these guilds.

Quick question here:

What are the best in these categories, Early/Late doesn't matter (I also listed what I think)

-Heavy Cavalry (France for Gendarmes and Lances and Crusader States for Constable and mass order cavalry))
    -Light Cavalry (Any with fast moving really but the Teutonic Light cavalry can also be used as heavy for its charge)
    -Horse Archers (any range cavalry) (Don't know, probably Mongols)
    -Archers (any range infantry) (This one is hard but in general England has good archers but France gets decent late ranged units))
    -Infantry (Dismounted Ritterbruders for Teutonic Knights)
    -Special and Useful units (Constable of Jerusalem are nice, Knights of the Holy Sepulcher too, Hasashims...)

tbh, yes I'm no fan of these guilds.
    Well they are part of the mod in any way. If you want to debate their inclusion you can start your own thread. In any case I got my answers mostly, except why this was done, or how to change how the guild works.

I checked the buildings file, and found the guild:

building guild_woodsmens_guild
    {
    levels woodsmens_guild m_woodsmens_guild gm_woodsmens_guild
    {
    woodsmens_guild castle requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }
    {
    capability
    {
    archer_bonus 1
    }
    material wooden
    construction 1
    cost 1000
    settlement_min city
    upgrades
    {
    m_woodsmens_guild
    }
    }

It says archer_bonus not missile_bonus, so how to I give this to skirmishers as well? skirmish_bonus 1? None of these work.
    Last edited by FriendoftheDork; January 03, 2013 at 02:57 AM.

I think lancers beat everything, even athanatoi defeated easily by them

light cavalry : stradiots or hussars

horse archers : iq'ta'dar for the ultimate defense, nukeri for the ultimate attack, although nukeri will lose against the turk unit; however below them there are lots of units that close to each others, from hungarian nobles, mamluk archers, bekh druzhina, skythikon and a bunch of others are very close.

archers : merguen and janissary archers for the ultimate attack, scots guard for ultimate defense, again merguen lose to the scots like nukeri vs the turk, close to the scots guard are muslim heavy archers

infantry : by stats : gothic foot knights, by reality, templar guard (AFAIK PB said that himself)

special units : naffatuns by a mile...! elephants? boom, roman tanks? boom... one or two hit, entire general bodyguards died, enemy morale crushed. arched shots than the 'lame' greek firethrower, put 2 units of naffatuns behind your main line when you are besieged, enemy leader died guaranteed, victory against overwhelming odds guaranteed... the only one that can kill generals easier than naffatuns are the stakes! lol
    Last edited by napoleonic; January 03, 2013 at 02:58 AM.

double post
    Last edited by napoleonic; January 03, 2013 at 02:59 AM.

Rokiniz's Avatar Civis

I would like to know what is the best program to convert tga pic's to normal format pictures.

Also, what program can i use to edit my pictures(cutting out the unneccesary parts, ect.)

Thanks!
    Long Live Lithuania( Grand Duchy Lithuania )

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Irfanview is my favourite, since it can deal almost all formats like dds and such, and it's just usefull in many ways, and easy to use. I use Photoshop for editing, GIMP is free variation of it. I think Irfanview can do some cutting and such too.
    Last edited by Kahvipannu; January 03, 2013 at 06:21 AM.

Rokiniz's Avatar Civis

thanks Kahvipannu.

I used infra, but wanted to know if there were better ones.

I guess this will do

Rep for you
    Long Live Lithuania( Grand Duchy Lithuania )

Tiro

I think lancers beat everything, even athanatoi defeated easily by them...
    It depends on what is definited as"best".
    I think "best" should be all-round,including high availability,great stat,mobility and adaption to different battle situations(for example ap).
    So I favor(red for late,blue for early)
    heavy cavalry: Lancers(avoid combat with ap) and Sicilio-Norman Knights(exclude Athanatoi as BG)
    light cav: hussars(a bit earlier than Stradiots) and Hohuchi(good all-round )
    horse archer:Mamluk archers(ap) and Bekh Druzhina(6 attack)
    archer:Pesante Archers(so early as a late unit with 6 armor) and Mourtatoi(it has stakes and is so popular)
    infantry:Royal Guard(the strongest ap infantry) and Croat Axeman(strange,but 7 ap is too strong to be ignored,also cheap,light and easy to get)
    special:Naffatun and Constable of Jerusalem
    Last edited by flyingcat; January 03, 2013 at 11:05 AM.