Page 13 of 104 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122233863 ... LastLast

Thread: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here - NOT FOR BUG REPORTS!

Campidoctor

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here - NOT FOR BUG REPORTS!

I desperately need some help in downloading 6.4. All the links in the release thread are broken to me. I downloaded 6.3 without any issues that very same night.

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here - NOT FOR BUG REPORTS!

The torrent link in the official release thread should work, it has 77 seeders, so that should DL in less than 10 minutes.

Edit: It is a single file, 163 MB.
    Last edited by Vissewalde rex de Gerzika; December 14, 2012 at 11:28 AM.

Campidoctor

I installed utorrent and managed to download 6.4 with it, but someone should really fix the other links.

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    type levy md archers
    dictionary levy_md_archers ; Levy Mediterranean Archers, militia, levy/professional
    category infantry
    class missile
    voice_type Light
    accent Mediterranean
    banner faction main_missile
    banner holy crusade
    soldier levy_md_archers, 60, 0, 0.6
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_withdraw
    formation 2, 3, 2.4, 2.4, 2, square
    stat_health 1, 2
    stat_pri 2, 1, militia_missile_arrow, 130, 40, missile, missile_mechanical, piercing, none, 25, 1 ; missile short bow 2
    stat_pri_attr area
    stat_sec 1, 1, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_simple, piercing, knife, 90, 1 ; knife 1 - peasant 3 ; charge 1 - peasant 1 ; knife 0 + peasant 45 + (0) attack 45
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 0, 1, 0, flesh ; defense 1 - peasant 3 + agility 3
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 0 ; missile short bow -1 + militia 1 + mediterranean 0
    stat_ground 1, -2, 1, -1
    stat_mental 4, low, untrained
    stat_charge_dist 6
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 141, 58, 78, 47, 141
    armour_ug_levels 1
    armour_ug_models levy_md_archers
    ownership poland, france, slave

If they would have been wearing leather armour, they would have gotten only 2 agility, so their defense would have been 0. In BC there are no armour upgrades, so I gave the full 3.
    I don't understand. What's the "peasant 3 + agility 3" thing for? That's nowhere in a normal export_descr_unit file and this is SS, not BC.

Basically what I'm asking is, why were units with a defense skill of 1 given a defense skill of 0, and what is the difference? I know that defense skill factors in no way towards missile fire, but in terms of melee combat, how does a unit with a defense skill of 0 factor in compared to a unit with a defense skill of 1?

The AI's generals could be given the education automatically when they reach a certain age.

In full, it's "defense of a knife -> 1, minus the penalty for being of peasant melee quality -> -3, plus the agility bonus of an unarmoured unit -> +3"

The SS EDU does not have all of that written out, but nonetheless that's how the stats were arrived at. I don't know how PB did it, in his head or with a program, but I preferred writing everything out to avoid mistakes and to make it easy to correct them when they do occur. It's also much easier to keep track of why everything is the way it is. (He did write some things out in the TATW EDU.)

I don't play 6.4, so I don't know what units were given 0 instead of 1 (when did they have 1? in 6.3? 6.1?). Probably their stats were recalculated using a newer RC formula. SS 7 will have different stats yet again due to RC 2.

In terms of melee combat, a unit with 0 skill will die sooner than a unit with 1 skill, and thus kill fewer enemies during the fight. How much sooner it will die, I don't know, but can be easily tested with a stopwatch.

Tiro

How could I post screenshots here?
    I have got used to "e:\...\screenshot".

I noticed how admirals don't give up their ships some turns, but on other turns they do. How do you make it so that they always give up their ships? Otherwise, I'm gonna have to tolerate my 14-single ship navies

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut2bigforyou View Post
    I noticed how admirals don't give up their ships some turns, but on other turns they do. How do you make it so that they always give up their ships? Otherwise, I'm gonna have to tolerate my 14-single ship navies
    I believe that any admiral with 1 or more command points will not merge into another navy.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaRosario View Post
    I believe that any admiral with 1 or more command points will not merge into another navy.
    Yep, that is annoying. Why admirals can't be like captains doesn't make sense. Even Family Members yield command to someone more capable...

Quote Originally Posted by sbroadbent View Post
    Yep, that is annoying. Why admirals can't be like captains doesn't make sense. Even Family Members yield command to someone more capable...
    I thin you just have to merge the admiral with smaller amount of stars with the one which has the higher amount, they should merge, not too sure trough

Tiro

Hi, not sure if this subject is touched upon somewhere else. I'm currently playing a VH/VH campaign as England. I have a bit of a problem where my King in his "divine judgement" just has set "centralised recruitment". This is mainly a problem because I have two legendary commanders(10 star) which is on the other side of the family member tree and I use them as war councillors and commanders for my armies in my grand conquest for France.

Since Centralised recruitment says that only FL and heir can lead attacks in foreign territory I'm using the classic solution of FL+Hier Kamikaze now to get FL and hier redirected to my generals. I was planning on doing this way before but since the FL and heir were quite wealthy I didn't want to lose that and though, "oh well, it can't matter too much who ends up with FL since I can redirect war councilor anyway!".

I haven't seen any place to change this ingame, if there is I'm stupid and would be happy to be informed. If not it would be very nice if someone could give me the directory localisation to change how that trait works. I'm guessing it works just to copy paste the setting for the "limited recruitment" trait in the "centralised recruitment" and just overwrite it and it should work as the centralised recruitment never existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Action Fighter View Post
    Hi, not sure if this subject is touched upon somewhere else. I'm currently playing a VH/VH campaign as England. I have a bit of a problem where my King in his "divine judgement" just has set "centralised recruitment". This is mainly a problem because I have two legendary commanders(10 star) which is on the other side of the family member tree and I use them as war councillors and commanders for my armies in my grand conquest for France.

Since Centralised recruitment says that only FL and heir can lead attacks in foreign territory I'm using the classic solution of FL+Hier Kamikaze now to get FL and hier redirected to my generals. I was planning on doing this way before but since the FL and heir were quite wealthy I didn't want to lose that and though, "oh well, it can't matter too much who ends up with FL since I can redirect war councilor anyway!".

I haven't seen any place to change this ingame, if there is I'm stupid and would be happy to be informed. If not it would be very nice if someone could give me the directory localisation to change how that trait works. I'm guessing it works just to copy paste the setting for the "limited recruitment" trait in the "centralised recruitment" and just overwrite it and it should work as the centralised recruitment never existed.
    Its not working like that, and its not because of VH/VH, its because you're playing with BGR IV, you should read the manual before you play with it to know how it works http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106060

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Baltic Warrior View Post
    Its not working like that, and its not because of VH/VH, its because you're playing with BGR IV, you should read the manual before you play with it to know how it works http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106060
    I'm well aware of that. What I'm wondering is if there's any effective workaround ingame other then editing the dir files. Commiting suicide with your king always works to get the best general as king but it's a bit of a queer solution imho.

probably been asked before, but how do i get the coat of plates upgrade for my teutonic order spearmen?

If it's probably been asked before, a search might find the answer.

The coat of plates upgrade becomes available in 1240. Do you have the right armourer?

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Action Fighter View Post
    I'm well aware of that. What I'm wondering is if there's any effective workaround ingame other then editing the dir files. Commiting suicide with your king always works to get the best general as king but it's a bit of a queer solution imho.
    It is a queer solution if you use it as a solution, but it wasn't meant to be played like that. The idea is that the best generals were not always recognised as such and status and loyalty counted for more than ability. Increased faction size lead to centralisation and fear of loss of control, mistrust of generals. The challenge is that you manage with your king and heir.

This is meant to be a representation of less but more powerful armies and obviously in reality there would be more than king and heir, however M2TW is scaled down from reality, i.e less nobles, less settlements etc.

I did alter this system in V, but for IV it does the job effectively where the most unrealistic game aspect is lack of difficulty.

Those good generals could be used defensively whilst the king takes the offensive. And if you don't need any defensive generals because you are finding it easy to keep attacking and can afford to kill family members off to aid promotion then I think the game may be too easy for you and you probably don't need ten star generals anyway.

Version IV is basically an uphill struggle of bgr features trying to counteract masses of player bonuses whilst offering medieval feel and features. V removes such bonuses and offers a genuinely medieval structured environment, built from scratch, without compromise.

IV is dead. Long live V.
    Last edited by Byg; December 18, 2012 at 02:55 AM.

NEW BGR V 20150324! . . . . . . . .. . . .BGRIV_E

I hope to try out BGR at some point. Hopefully it will be compatible with the RR/RC Compilation.

Hi, everybody. I was trying to find the answer for my question somewhere here but couldn't. I play SS 6.3 - when reaching the 51st round, the game closes. Doesn't matter which faction. Any idea , someone , somewhere? Please

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by cothis View Post
    Hi, everybody. I was trying to find the answer for my question somewhere here but couldn't. I play SS 6.3 - when reaching the 51st round, the game closes. Doesn't matter which faction. Any idea , someone , somewhere? Please
    You will find your answer in this thread:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=377826

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

I've been excommunicated for about 100 turns now. Popes come and go. Previously, I'd be un-excommunicated when a new Pope was elected, but stopped happening after about 3 ex-comms. Is this a permanent thing? Or is it because I've been at war with the factions from where the Popes are coming from?

Also - I have a terrible reputation for diplomacy, to the point where the only way I can agree a cease-fire is to cede several cities. What's the best solution to get other factions to trust me?
    Let them hate, so long as they fear.