Page 100 of 104 FirstFirst ... 507590919293949596979899100101102103104 LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 2067

Thread: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here - NOT FOR BUG REPORTS!

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here - NOT FOR BUG REPORTS!

Hi, just started playing SS over the weekend. Really good mod so far.

I have a few questions which lead me here.

Is there a manual?

How do I make generals/family members rich so they don't borrow money and end up getting banished because they can't pay it back, without using them to take a settlement?

Can I train generals at any point in the game or do I have to rely on marriages and "man of the hour"?

Can I use a banished general in a crusade to try and get him back on good terms with the king?

Any tips on managing the economy so the nobles don't end up bankrupting me, or I don't end up bankrupting the nobles and they end up rebelling, would be great.
    Thanks

Losthief's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here - NOT FOR BUG REPORTS!

1. kinda: http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Stainless_Steel

its outdated/unfinished. There is also guides in that sub forum (look up top) but dunno how great they are.

2. Thats a submod called byg's bgr trait. Look in that (bgr) submod thread for his manual. The bgr 2/4 depending on what you have ticked is in the back of his bgrV manual.

3. Defalut you have to rely. theres a 'trainable general' mod floating around, but be careful, if you train too many and have no family members (aka on family tree) and the last one dies you lose.

4. Again read the bgr manual or turn it off in ss_setup.exe. Pre-banished no, you can either sit him in with your faction leaders army (and he can recover funds that way) or you can just let him go rebel. If he is just broke and goes on crusade he won't get banished/punished cause of the crusade, so useful if you have a poor general or two.

5. Early on focus on markets and ports and roads. But if you don't have bgr on you will have an easy time with economy/money in default ss6.4. there are more tips in the manual and submod thread for bgr if you want to keep using it. Big no no is mercs, they are expensive per turn in bgr.
    LOSTHIEF
    I'd rather be lucky than skilled!

Icon14 Re: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here - NOT FOR BUG REPORTS!

Cheers bro.

Ok, sorry for posting twice in a row but I don't see an edit function.

I've changed the timescale to 0.25 (4 turns a year) but characters are still ageing at 1 year per turn.
    How do I change it so it matches the timescale?
    (I realise this will quadruple the length of the game)

I'm playing SS 6.4 as the Crusader States. In the settlements that I start with, I am given the opportunity to build Templar (and Hospitalier) chapter houses as I would any other building--and not only that, these chapter houses don't preclude me from being offered a second kind of guild in those settlements (merchant's and theologian's so far)!

What I want to know is: Is this a bug, or a feature? And if I get the guild points to build Templar Chapter Houses in other cities (Cairo, for instance) will I be able to build a second guild there too?

Thanks!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by caleb_trask View Post
    I'm playing SS 6.4 as the Crusader States. In the settlements that I start with, I am given the opportunity to build Templar (and Hospitalier) chapter houses as I would any other building--and not only that, these chapter houses don't preclude me from being offered a second kind of guild in those settlements (merchant's and theologian's so far)!

What I want to know is: Is this a bug, or a feature? And if I get the guild points to build Templar Chapter Houses in other cities (Cairo, for instance) will I be able to build a second guild there too?
    Thanks!
    IIRC the chapter houses are regular buildings in the SS - you can build them in a normal way in certain provinces being a right faction (is such a faction which historically had access to the relevant orders). The guilds are separate and you can still build just one in a province. (but in your example in Cairo I expect you to be able to build both.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Quote Originally Posted by caleb_trask View Post

Thanks!
    It's a feature. As to whether you go with Templars or Hospitallers, it's entirely up to you as the unit stats are pretty much identical, though Templars IIRC have slightly less discipline.

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

What time periods does this mod span?
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Zooasaurus's Avatar Libertus

Is this mod still in development or is v6.4 the final?

Marble Emperor's Avatar Tiro

I think that 6.4 is the final official version, however, there are still several submods in development that aim to further the scope of the mod. SSHIP and Titanium are the two most popular, but HURB is also pretty well done.

Hi

I just started playing SS6.4 with the HRE, but there one thing (probably plenty more..) when it comes to recruitment that I still don't unterstand:

In the Early Game I am trying to recruit more Cavalry Units, but the counter, until more Troops will be available, seems to be stuck.
    It says "7 turns until next unit will be available..", but in the next turn it still says 7?

Its the same in every other castle, but it works for spearmen and archers.

Looks like you're using the BGR_IV option. You need to read the manual for this submod to understand what are the conditions to recruit better troops. It's quite complicated.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Thanks for your answer.

It seems that theres a maximum number of feudal/early professionals units I can keep in my empire at once.
    When I abandon or lose a whole unit in battle, im able to recruit more in the next turn.

I have often wondered if there is a particular number of enemies you have to kill on the battle map before you gain a chevron. [?]

In the past, I have noticed that if I have a small unit number of cavalry (say 3 Mailed Knights) who I keep back for most of the battle, but once the army begins routing...send them to mop up those enemies that are fleeing...the smaller the number of cavalry that I have seem to quickly rack up chevrons.

Any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by malleebull View Post
    I have often wondered if there is a particular number of enemies you have to kill on the battle map before you gain a chevron. [?]

In the past, I have noticed that if I have a small unit number of cavalry (say 3 Mailed Knights) who I keep back for most of the battle, but once the army begins routing...send them to mop up those enemies that are fleeing...the smaller the number of cavalry that I have seem to quickly rack up chevrons.

Any ideas?
    It depends on the enemies killed / own losses ratio (in terms of number of men, irrespectively of their quality). If you lose less then you can kill less as well and still get experience (chevrons). Therefore heavy cavalry and archers are usually the best (HC: little loses, many kills, A: no loses, some kills)

Hi, I just started playing SS mod and I've noticed something during my last siege battle.

I build balista towers in one of my citadels so it would be a better stronghold against invasions. But when I was playing the siege battle I noticed the balista towers barely doing any damage, even to weak units like spear militias. Now I remember balista towers being a bit too strong in vanilla, but this seems to be the other extreme.

Is there a way I can tweak the damage on towers so the defenders have an edge over the attackers? I've been looking into the descr_walls.txt file but all I could find were hitpoints and rate of fire.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rate of fire is probably what you're looking for. As far as I know, a ballista bolt that actually hits a unit should one-shot it like a cannon or catapult would, so if you're suffering a lack of overall damage, increasing the rate of fire should handle it.

However if you do want to edit the actual damage of the projectile itself it probably falls under descr_projectile.

It's been so long since I've played vanilla I can't remember if vanilla ballista towers were stronger than the ones we see in SS.
    Last edited by Lin117; April 02, 2018 at 12:37 AM.

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this sort of questiom, so forgive me if it isn't. I never posted on this forum, I think.
    I'm trying to make the Byzantine cavalary unit "Archontopoulai" available since the Militia Barracks, but I wasn't able to. Help please me.

Where am I downloading this from? http://www.moddb.com/mods/stainless-...nless-steel-64 I found 6.4 here which seem to be newer is this a legit download?

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ausghostdog View Post
    Where am I downloading this from? http://www.moddb.com/mods/stainless-...nless-steel-64 I found 6.4 here which seem to be newer is this a legit download?
    That is fine, somebody recently updated it

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)