Page 3 of 104 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853103 ... LastLast

Thread: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here - NOT FOR BUG REPORTS!

Anthropoid's Avatar Tiro
    In the nether regions of the Puritan hinterlands

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here

Thanks Papa. I downloaded Bane's submod that the OP of that thread you linked mentioned.

Something still just doesn't seem right though. This machine handles lots of modern games no problemo. I play Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas on pretty close to max settings. Even with a lot of the scripts turned off, my turn times by about 1125 vary between 45 seconds (minimum) and a few minutes.

I didn't disable the ones that the setup window were very cautionary about (the economic one and one other one). But it sounds like if you disable those it might handicap the AI pretty badly.

Hope I can figure out something because I don't think I'll be able to play this much if not.

The submod I installed is called "Campaign Script Customization 2.1"

ADDIT what I have disabled:
    Bulgarian Uprising
    Looting and Siege Scripts
    Death Notifications
    Support Spawn
    Timurid Emergence
    Teutonic Order
    William Wallce Uprising
    Princess Notifications

What I have NOT disabled
    Ageing (says it doesn't effect turn time)
    Economy Script (says it is a last resort cause it handicaps the AI)
    Interactive Events
    Last edited by Anthropoid; November 12, 2012 at 07:23 PM.

Hey Anthropoid, you should try disabling the faction eco script, especially if you play on hard or very hard. Personally I think it is far overhyped. I never use the eco scripts yet every campaign I have played in SS, they AI still had 100,000+ cash. I took a printscreen from my Roman game but I can't find it. The last thing I would wana do is give the AI more free money and extra turn time. But maybe in other peoples games it helps their AI, I dno.. You should try it anyway.

EDIT: Also you should remove the Interactive Events. They give a few good/bad traits out to some agents, if they are near your capital I think. Not worth the scripts.
    Last edited by NEXUS12; November 13, 2012 at 12:01 AM.

Oda, A Rise from the Ashes of Obscurity (S2).

For the first turns of Early Era England Campaign, should I choose Fyrd Spearmen or Spear Militia?
    Don't forget to rep me if you like something I did/ or not lol

See that green thingy under the Carroburg banner? click it!

Pwning as the Pope on VH/VH Savage AI SS 6.4!
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=430026

The two are identical EXCEPT for attack power. Spear militia have 2 attack, where Fyrd Spearmen have 1. Their other stats, such as defense, charge, and HP, are identical. Also, if you build spear militia at a castle, they get an experience bonus, so go Spear Militia.

"Bulgarian Uprising
    Timurid Emergence
    Teutonic Order
    William Wallce Uprising"

Hahaha...those only happen once...and two of those are emergent factions...you weren't supposed to delete them.

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    "Bulgarian Uprising
    Timurid Emergence
    Teutonic Order
    William Wallce Uprising"

Hahaha...those only happen once...and two of those are emergent factions...you weren't supposed to delete them.
    In fairness to Anthropoid, it doesn't actually mention that it is a one off script in the mod. Some people may presume that the script still takes up turn time each turn prior to the faction emerging.

Anthropoid's Avatar Tiro

whoops double post
    Last edited by Anthropoid; November 13, 2012 at 06:02 AM.

Anthropoid's Avatar Tiro

LOL Yeah, I was looking at those thinking 'those sound like the kinda thing that happens once . . .' but it says something about them 'slightly decreasing turn time' in the hover-over info in the setup window.

I wonder if the fact that I foolishly let the app (Gamersgate install) put the game in the 'default C:\\Programs(x86) directory might have anything to do with SS running slow?

Generally, I install apps outside of that directory, but occasionally I just click the default and it seems I did that in this case when I installed M2TW and SS back in the spring.

I opened up Task Manager and was amazed to see that there were two or three processes running that seemed to be related to SS: one called "kingdoms.exe" seemed to be the main one, but the setup window was also running and maybe one other one. So I turned off the setup window. Even so, my total CPU usage was fluctuating between 45 and 75% during the AI turns. That just does not seem right that some scripts would be causing THAT much CPU load.

I think the general advice around TWC is ALWAYS install m2 and SS away from Program Files. It's best to make a 'Games' folder in your C drive and put it in there, though I am not sure if it has any effect on turn time as I am not that much of an expert on the matter. I would however, try disabling the economy script as well as a few other pointless ones such as AI death notifications, princess notifications, AI agent spawn (they get plenty anyway). That's what I have done and my turn time is around 1 minute, wheras before it was 5-6. If you find the AI is screwed without the eco script you can always start again and give em it back

Quote Originally Posted by Anthropoid View Post
    Thanks Papa. I downloaded Bane's submod that the OP of that thread you linked mentioned.

Something still just doesn't seem right though. This machine handles lots of modern games no problemo. I play Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas on pretty close to max settings. Even with a lot of the scripts turned off, my turn times by about 1125 vary between 45 seconds (minimum) and a few minutes.

I didn't disable the ones that the setup window were very cautionary about (the economic one and one other one). But it sounds like if you disable those it might handicap the AI pretty badly.

Hope I can figure out something because I don't think I'll be able to play this much if not.

The submod I installed is called "Campaign Script Customization 2.1"

ADDIT what I have disabled:
    Bulgarian Uprising
    Looting and Siege Scripts
    Death Notifications
    Support Spawn
    Timurid Emergence
    Teutonic Order
    William Wallce Uprising
    Princess Notifications

What I have NOT disabled
    Ageing (says it doesn't effect turn time)
    Economy Script (says it is a last resort cause it handicaps the AI)
    Interactive Events
    For me, the economy script is responsible for the very long turn times, because if you look at vanilla SS economy script, it's very looooooong, reason is that there's a script for the ai receiving money when they have W amount of money and X amount of settlements, and another script for when they have Y amount of money and Z amount of settlements, etc.. for my game, i am using a simplified money script based on TATW, and my turn times are greatly reduced. in that script, it just adds money when they are bankrupt, and reduce money when they have too much. it's not a large script at all compared to the vanilla eco script.

I'm playing as England and destroyed Scotland as a faction by killing off the family pool. However there were still Scottish priests and Merchants wondering around, several turns after. Why is this?
    Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Andytheplatypus's Avatar Domesticus

keep m2tw and SS in default directory. screws things up when you have it elsewhere for some reason.

normal for priests and merchants to stay around after a faction is dead. use assassins. in my CS campaign fatimid have been dead for over 100 turns and there are two merchants and a priest still.
    Last edited by Andytheplatypus; November 13, 2012 at 08:30 AM.

I've seen Scottish merchants and a priest spawn near Edinburgh, a few turns after the Scottish had fallen under English control. I guess this is something scripted ... "at turn x, give all AI factions 2 merchants and a faith-spreader" but doesn't take into consideration whether a faction's alive or dead.

Anyway, two questions of my own! Both related to Norway, and they're both fluff-related, but here goes...

1. How do I go about changing the text that goes with "of Norwegian blood"? When I hover my mouse over it, it says something about my Early Era Norwegian king, Magnus (nicknamed "the Mauler" in-game), being descended from the great king Hakon Hakonsson. My problem with that is that Hakon Hakonson became king sometime around 1220 (give or take a decade?) - or about 120 years after my campaign starts. So I'd like to change that bit of text to some more appropriate king/ancestor.

2. Is it possible to make members of my royal family not have last names? As far as I can tell, Norwegians didn't bother with family names that were inherited from father to son, and given from husbands to wives, back then - if King Magnus had a son and called him Sigurd, Sigurd's last name would be Magnusson, but if Sigurd had a son of his own, that son's last name would be Sigurdsson. And then they just used (non-inherited) nicknames - "the Old", "the Jerusalem-visitor", "the Blind" and so on) to further distinguish between all the Sigurd Magnussons running around. I don't expect the game engine to manage all that, but yeah - any chance my king is just names Magnus, Sigurd is just Sigurd (and not Sigurd Hakonsson), and so on? (I can avoid the rest by not letting any princesses marry except to foreigners, and not adopting anyone.) Or will this ruin things in the long run, by running out of available names for (male) family members?

Quote Originally Posted by Thasinta View Post
    1. How do I go about changing the text that goes with "of Norwegian blood"? When I hover my mouse over it, it says something about my Early Era Norwegian king, Magnus (nicknamed "the Mauler" in-game), being descended from the great king Hakon Hakonsson. My problem with that is that Hakon Hakonson became king sometime around 1220 (give or take a decade?) - or about 120 years after my campaign starts. So I'd like to change that bit of text to some more appropriate king/ancestor.
    Text related to traits is in data/text/export_vnvs.txt. Specifically, this portion:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    {Royal_Blood_Norwegian_desc}This man is a descendant of Haakon Haakonsson, a powerful Norwegian king. His pride is quite understandable, and is said to be reflected in his devotion to the dynasty.
    {Royal_Blood_Norwegian_effects_desc}+1 Loyalty, +1 Dread
    {Royal_Blood_Norwegian}Of Norwegian Blood

Make sure you delete the associated strings.bin file after making the change so that the change gets implemented. The game will auto-generate a new copy of it the next time you start it up.

2. Is it possible to make members of my royal family not have last names? As far as I can tell, Norwegians didn't bother with family names that were inherited from father to son, and given from husbands to wives, back then - if King Magnus had a son and called him Sigurd, Sigurd's last name would be Magnusson, but if Sigurd had a son of his own, that son's last name would be Sigurdsson. And then they just used (non-inherited) nicknames - "the Old", "the Jerusalem-visitor", "the Blind" and so on) to further distinguish between all the Sigurd Magnussons running around. I don't expect the game engine to manage all that, but yeah - any chance my king is just names Magnus, Sigurd is just Sigurd (and not Sigurd Hakonsson), and so on? (I can avoid the rest by not letting any princesses marry except to foreigners, and not adopting anyone.) Or will this ruin things in the long run, by running out of available names for (male) family members?
    Perhaps if you removed the surnames from descr_names? Or maybe that would cause the game to crash. You might want to ask this one on the Mod Workshop.

Do not mess around with descr_names in that manner - all factions must have a surnames list. Characters who appear after the start of the game (i.e. are not hand placed via descr_strat) and are not scripted, they will either have a surname or a byname.

As for naming starting characters via descr_strat, although my modding of the family trees is currently on hold while I sort other things out for my submod (so I'm a bit rusty on this part), I think you may have to have surnames also. Think about it - the faction leader and heir usually don't have their forename displayed in-game, just their title and surname. Also, it is normal to see in the code the sons and daughters not having a surname listed, but they inherit their father's surname by default in-game.

As for the sons of Norwegian kings having their own surnames, there is an advanced trick that can be applied to starting family trees (but any characters born later on will stick to the normal rule - that is, they inherit their father's surname). You see, you can technically change the surnames inherited through the generations, but you need at least three generations. Say we want each generation in a family tree to have a different surname. We start with William Capet, who has a son who becomes Robert de Normandie, and his son becomes Richard Hohenstaufen (this is not an actual working example - for this to be possible, the faction needs to be assigned the surnames/bynames in descr_names). The family tree we want should look like this:

William Capet
    |
    Robert de Normandie
    |
    Richard Hohenstaufen

However, Robert *will* inherit his father's surname, so he'll actually appear as Robert Capet, no preventing that. In turn, Richard will inherit de Normandie (his father's surname). One solution is to add another generation further back - William Capet's father, Frederick Capet:

Frederick Capet
    |
    William de Normandie
    |
    Robert Hohenstaufen
    |
    Richard Hohenstaufen

This time, they will appear as desired. To make it even more advanced, Robert's brothers (if he has any) don't need to share Hohenstaufen as their surname if you don't wish their children to have it as their surname - they could be anything else (as long as it's in that faction's names list in descr_names).

Check the following for an excellent tutorial on coding family trees in general: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=187293. You'll find that descr_names_lookup contains the actual non-localised code for all names, while descr_names dictates what names are forenames, surnames, bynames, and women's names for any particular faction (so a surname for one faction could be a forename for another). The non-localised versions are used in descr_strat; de Normandie is de_Normandie in my files, and must *always* be written like that or the game *will* throw a wobbly when intialising a starting family tree coded incorrectly (in particular, spaces aren't allowed in non-localised names).
    Last edited by Kaidonni; November 13, 2012 at 03:56 PM.

I've seen Scottish merchants and a priest spawn near Edinburgh, a few turns after the Scottish had fallen under English control. I guess this is something scripted ... "at turn x, give all AI factions 2 merchants and a faith-spreader" but doesn't take into consideration whether a faction's alive or dead.
    yep, the script will also spawn free ships for certain factions at certain times (if Ireland hasn't fallen to english at X turn, for example)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonchampion View Post
    The two are identical EXCEPT for attack power. Spear militia have 2 attack, where Fyrd Spearmen have 1. Their other stats, such as defense, charge, and HP, are identical. Also, if you build spear militia at a castle, they get an experience bonus, so go Spear Militia.
    Thanks for the advice, I forgot about the experience, I think they get a boost to morale to experience also
    Don't forget to rep me if you like something I did/ or not lol

See that green thingy under the Carroburg banner? click it!

Pwning as the Pope on VH/VH Savage AI SS 6.4!
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=430026

I play stainless steel version 6.4 with byg's grim reality mod IV enhanced and sooner or later I come to the problem of having centralized recruitment and command and usually my heir isn't in the war council. I try having him take out small rebel armies in my land but that doesn't seem to be enough to get him into the war council and if I try to get him through war council via invading he disobeys orders and I have unrest throughout my kingdom. Any advice on how to make him a war council member without breaking the order?

Thanks for the answers/pointers, Kaidonni and PapaRosario!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEUTknight View Post
    I play stainless steel version 6.4 with byg's grim reality mod IV enhanced and sooner or later I come to the problem of having centralized recruitment and command and usually my heir isn't in the war council. I try having him take out small rebel armies in my land but that doesn't seem to be enough to get him into the war council and if I try to get him through war council via invading he disobeys orders and I have unrest throughout my kingdom. Any advice on how to make him a war council member without breaking the order?
    It's an ancillary, so it's just a matter of having your heir in the same stack as some other WC member, and then transferring it (view the WC member, find the ancillary icon, click-and-drag over to your heir). I think it's mentioned in the manual somewhere (found in the first post in http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106060, under "Older Versions", revealed by showing the spoiler), along with a picture of what the ancillary looks like.

Thanks for the answers/pointers, Kaidonni and PapaRosario!

It's an ancillary, so it's just a matter of having your heir in the same stack as some other WC member, and then transferring it (view the WC member, find the ancillary icon, click-and-drag over to your heir). I think it's mentioned in the manual somewhere (found in the first post in http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106060, under "Older Versions", revealed by showing the spoiler), along with a picture of what the ancillary looks like.
    thanks for the advice