Page 5 of 104 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055 ... LastLast

Thread: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here - NOT FOR BUG REPORTS!

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here

That's lame, SS with one turn per year should have automatically higher movement points for ships in my opinion. It shouldn't take three years to reach Spain from England

Oda, A Rise from the Ashes of Obscurity (S2).

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

One problem with longer movement is that many things can be done in a single turn, for example units board a ship and arrive at a destination hundreds of miles away, then disembark, then besiege or attack, all within the same turn. This leads to something far less realistic than shorter movement, which is the inability to spot and/ or intercept this attack. So shorter movement always gets my vote as more realistic and far better for gameplay as well.

NEW BGR V 20150324! . . . . . . . .. . . .BGRIV_E

Quote Originally Posted by Andytheplatypus View Post
    can someone give me the trait name for of norwegian blood?
    Royal_Blood_Norwegian
    Princess_Royal_Blood_Norwegian

Quote Originally Posted by Byg View Post
    One problem with longer movement is that many things can be done in a single turn, for example units board a ship and arrive at a destination hundreds of miles away, then disembark, then besiege or attack, all within the same turn. This leads to something far less realistic than shorter movement, which is the inability to spot and/ or intercept this attack. So shorter movement always gets my vote as more realistic and far better for gameplay as well.
    Yup, this is the same thing I always say when people bring up movement being unrealistic. Look at Vanilla. 2 turns per year. You should be able to get from England to Jerusalem in one turn. That would completely throw off balance though. You could bliztkrieg and destroy an entire faction before they had any chance to retaliate.
    Last edited by PapaRosario; November 17, 2012 at 03:33 PM.

Andytheplatypus's Avatar Domesticus

thanks

Is there any way to prompt a wife for my king? He's almost forty now but has not had any marriage proposals and neither have I been able to find a princess for him to marry. He's the last of his line so this is a matter of some consequence for me.
    Total War Live Commentary: Click Here
    De Bello Mundi: Greek City States
    Third Age Total War: Arnor with MOS
    M&B: Warband: A Clash of Kings
    M&B: Warband: Gekokujo

I always use toggle_fow to find a princess. too much of a pain otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by PapaRosario View Post
    Royal_Blood_Norwegian
    Princess_Royal_Blood_Norwegian

Yup, this is the same thing I always say when people bring up movement being unrealistic. Look at Vanilla. 2 turns per year. You should be able to get from England to Jerusalem in one turn. That would completely throw off balance though. You could bliztkrieg and destroy an entire faction before they had any chance to retaliate.
    I found Medieval the First did this bit a little bit better, as far as I can remember. Seas are territories of their own, and as long as you've got a navy in each territory and your enemy hasn't, you can invade from sea. Oslo to Jerusalem in a single turn, no problem. Well, it required you to have a lot bigger navy for such long-distance sailing.

Ah well, no good hoping for changes that couldn't possibly be implemented. Still kind of frustrating, to see a currently-neutral navy heading your way, transporting what's obviously an invasion force (Norwegians to Nottingham, anyone?) and being unable to stop it without becoming the aggressor. Well, at least you've got a turn to train a few more units...

And yes, toggle_fow and character_reset Diplomat may be about the only option (outside of an adoption) for Ethien's bachelor king.

They're tourists, buddy. Don't be so paranoid.

Instead of resetting the diplomat, just teleport him with the console.

Vanilla M2 is 2 years per turn.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaRosario View Post
    Go to data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt and find the part of the file titled "Ageing Script". Delete that whole section and replace it with this.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    declare_counter quarter
    set_counter quarter 1 ;set to January

monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal ; set the season for each quarter
    if I_CompareCounter quarter == 1 ;Jan, Feb, March
    console_command season winter
    end_if

if I_CompareCounter quarter == 2 ;April, May, June
    console_command season summer
    end_if

if I_CompareCounter quarter == 3 ;July, Aug, Sept
    end_if

if I_CompareCounter quarter == 4 ;Oct, Nov, Dec
    console_command season winter
    end_if

inc_counter quarter 1 ;advance the quarter
    if I_CompareCounter quarter == 5 ;start a new year
    set_counter quarter 1
    end_if
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnEnd FactionType slave
    and I_CompareCounter quarter > 1
    end_monitor

Then go into descr_strat.txt, which is in the same folder, and find the timescale. The value should be set to 1. Change it to 0.25.
    He didn't want to change the entire time scale. He just wanted his characters to age slower. If he deletes the aging script, the characters will age 6 months every turn instead of a year. If that's still not enough, then he can add the new script.
    Last edited by k/t; November 18, 2012 at 06:02 PM.

Is anyone going to answer my question on page four?

shoaibasghar_s's Avatar Libertus

ok so i am playing with ss 6.4, msc and hurb
    i have achieved population required to upgrade a city, but no option to do so...?

Quote Originally Posted by noobmoder15 View Post
    Out of curiosity, is the Musketeers/Arquebusiers reload animation new or is it a setting in the base game/kingdoms?
    its probably original animation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonchampion View Post
    You have got to be me... All that work on this current campaign gone? Just so that I can make assassinations be actually USEFUL? I already took out the free priest code, and I took out the free merchants code... is Stainless all about false difficulty where you get loads upon loads of units spammed at you and that's it? You can't assassinate with any real benefit in the basic code; the stupid console just gives them 5 more units!
    Spoken like a man that has never destroyed a faction by assassinations. Oh you can do it. Oh yes, oh yes you can do it.
    (I've eliminated The Golden Horde through assassinations without modifying any SS scripts)

Thank you Andy.

Thank you but how did they use that reloading animation since I checked the files and the Musketeers/Arquebusiers dont have the fire by rank attribute?

Mr.Fable's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Anthropoid View Post
    So I'm guessing that, it is intended with the mod that, even on Normal difficulty, assasins are of very limited use (just had one that had a 95% chance to succeed = failed) and spies are pretty risky too? (95% chance to succeed for a spy with about 9 subterfuge and two minions in his retinue = KOA.

Between that and the rather long turn times for AI to finish his play, I'm feeling very torn about this mod. On the one hand it is beautiful and rich and realistic. On the other, it is SLOOWW. Ah well, I guess the Middle Ages were slow at that.

Just wish there was some way to speed up the AI turn resolution. Three to five minutes seem excessive for a campaign that is only up to 1150 or thereabouts.
    Three to five minutes? Yikes. My game only takes about 20-30 seconds. Is your CPU just old or are you playing with a lot of submods and scripts?

Quote Originally Posted by noobmoder15 View Post
    Thank you but how did they use that reloading animation since I checked the files and the Musketeers/Arquebusiers dont have the fire by rank attribute?
    what do you mean?

You know how in vanilla M2TW, the Musketeers/Arquebusiers fire one volley then go back to the last row but on SS they fire one volley then crouch for the next row to fire in a volley.

I'm only asking how they did that.

Mr.Fable's Avatar Libertus

^ They'll do the crouch and volley thing in Vanilla if you put them in skirmish mode.

I tried that but they don't fire in a volley and crouch, they fire individually then crouch after the first rank shoots.

Is it possible to change the generals bodyguard and family member strategic map model of, say, Norway from the default western one to the novgorod/kievan one without too much hazzle? Why? Because the russian one just looks so much better and feels more viking'y.