Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rome TW unreleased Mod, should i feel ashamed?

Icon11 Rome TW unreleased Mod, should i feel ashamed?

Greetings everyone. forgive my English, im still not a master of it.

i was making a Rome TW personal mod nearly 5 years ago (or maybe a little more) just to play on LAN mode with my bro, when Rome mods where on their peak. Never made a thread about it, or a teaser, because i never had the thought of showing it on the forums. The mod still doesn't even have a title yet.

Years passed, Medieval 2 mods came out, then Empire, Napoleon, Shogun came out, and im still working on the project on Rome Total war, because medieval may have better graphics, but not the culture and buildings i want. But still being on Rome TW, i wonder if someone will play it.

I'm making a somewhat realistic fantasy mod. Its not a mod of a book, movie or whatever. this is an original thing, with some influences of course. It have 10 unique factions.

The mod has not died. Right now im working on it, mostly on the units, because i did draw the concept, but now im working with them on 3dmax.

if anyone is interested, i can post screenshot of the mod so far.

Chris Death's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Rome TW unreleased Mod, should i feel ashamed?

I tell you what;

post some screenies - and see if someone is interested so you could go deeper into detail.

At the moment there is nothing one could be interested in as all you posted is that you have
    been working on a mod which you didn't think to share with others. I mean don't get me wrong
    but even the worst modder could have done what you did (so far on public relations scene).

Oh yeah and that it's a somewhat "realistic" "fantasy" mod - which somehow is a contradiction.

I am interested in screenies and in some more detail what your mod is about so i can decide wether
    it's worth or not.

And don't get this post wrong - i'm not trying to downgrade you - trying to do some constructive critism here.

~S~ CD
    Ever wanted to be able to attack the city of rome the second turn when playing a roman faction yourself in RTW? then click here

|Sith|IV|Chris_Death

My youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Chrisdeath69?gvnc=1

~S~ CD

im good with constructive criticism, thanks for the feedback.

yeah, i think i misused "realistic" fantasy. I mean, its fantasy, but with some sense of realism.

I'll upload some screenshots shortly, only featuring 4 unfinished factions at the moment. this is not a good vs evil battle.

Screens looking good so far - now include the RS2 environment and find a theme + title for your
    mod and sooner or later you will hear the knocking on your door, people outside yelling for when it's
    gonna be released.

~S~ CD
    Ever wanted to be able to attack the city of rome the second turn when playing a roman faction yourself in RTW? then click here

|Sith|IV|Chris_Death

~S~ CD

Rexasaur's Avatar Civis

This mod looks so freaking good!!!!!!

It it was avaliable, i'd get it
    -You Can Change The Game, But You Can Never Change The Rules-

Rome Total War Online Motto - Good Hunting. Play with Honour

Quote Originally Posted by Rexasaur View Post

knock knock?

~S~ CD

|Sith|IV|Chris_Death

~S~ CD

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Fantasy mods have a small fan base around here where historical accuracy is such a hump. That said, if you're making a mod because you want popularity you would be making it for the wrong reasons. There's some nice units there but it needs context, a setting/back story and a name.

If I was being critical I'd say try and rework the armour textures you've taken from Medieval 2, they look blurred and crappy in RTW.
    Think about relation in size between one area of clothing and another.
    A lot of RTW skinners use the same texture for sleeves and skirts not noticing the planes are different eg; chain-mail on your sleeves looks to big.
    Texture stretch on skirts with mail/patterns, it looks crappy and is easily got around by splitting the skirt and putting a plain texture in there with a bit of shadow.
    Do more research into textures, I see a lot of TW reuse when a quick google search will give you much better real textures, especially things like chain mail.

As CD said, get the RSII environment mod, or another sky mod. Change the lighting, RTW's system is to bright and unrealistic.

Most important, grade your unit textures to fit the environment. A lot of mods didn't do this and the units look like they are to dark or to light compared to their surroundings.

Good luck..
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; November 11, 2012 at 03:02 AM.

Make unit cards too! So annoying see those black peasants xP.

I like your style.

I don't see a reason why the mod shouldn't be finished and released.

There are still people who play and make mods for RTW, myself first for example.

So I wish you the best of luck with your mod.

+ rep for your work so far.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Death View Post
    Screens looking good so far - now include the RS2 environment and find a theme + title for your
    mod and sooner or later you will hear the knocking on your door, people outside yelling for when it's
    gonna be released.

~S~ CD
    Indeed, i'll have to find a way to add Roma Surrectum environment, never tried it before. You also mean the bloom feature?

Quote Originally Posted by Rexasaur View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Fantasy mods have a small fan base around here where historical accuracy is such a hump. That said, if you're making a mod because you want popularity you would be making it for the wrong reasons. There's some nice units there but it needs context, a setting/back story and a name.

If I was being critical I'd say try and rework the armour textures you've taken from Medieval 2, they look blurred and crappy in RTW.
    Think about relation in size between one area of clothing and another.
    A lot of RTW skinners use the same texture for sleeves and skirts not noticing the planes are different eg; chain-mail on your sleeves looks to big.
    Texture stretch on skirts with mail/patterns, it looks crappy and is easily got around by splitting the skirt and putting a plain texture in there with a bit of shadow.
    Do more research into textures, I see a lot of TW reuse when a quick google search will give you much better real textures, especially things like chain mail.

As CD said, get the RSII environment mod, or another sky mod. Change the lighting, RTW's system is to bright and unrealistic.

Most important, grade your unit textures to fit the environment. A lot of mods didn't do this and the units look like they are to dark or to light compared to their surroundings.

Good luck..
    Thanks for the feedback Halie.
    it made me look things different now. you're right, this is not about popularity.
    I do have some lore about it, but i still have work to do on its story.
    About the chainmail texture, yeah, i reused TW chainmail texture , i have to rework on it, but i also wonder if it will look good adding realistic rings size of the chainmail, because i feel it will not look so clear on gameplay (on replay battle mode may be different), unless the texture file is bigger, but that was reserved only for important units and commanders.

i'll download roma surrectum for the enviroment

Quote Originally Posted by XxAndrewxX2525 View Post
    Make unit cards too! So annoying see those black peasants xP.
    of course i will.

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    I don't see a reason why the mod shouldn't be finished and released.

There are still people who play and make mods for RTW, myself first for example.

So I wish you the best of luck with your mod.

+ rep for your work so far.

Cheers

Thanks man.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. i shall upload screenshots of new units later.
    im afraid the progress will be a little slow :p because of work and college.

Hakomar's Avatar Ordinarius

That actually looks amazing, moreso because it is a personal work.
    Rest in peace, Calvin.
    (28th April, 1975 - 28th October, 2009)

I for one thought that looked epic.

Centenarius

The models of the units are wonderful!. Personally i love fantasy mods, can you give us some infos about the setting and the factions?. Will you release it iin the future?.
    Temporarily retired from modding.

Quote Originally Posted by Arphenion View Post
    Indeed, i'll have to find a way to add Roma Surrectum environment, never tried it before. You also mean the bloom feature?
    Personally i do not like the bloom feature as it makes me always believe it's time to wear
    glasses.

But this doesn not mean that others wouldn't like that too.

~S~ CD

|Sith|IV|Chris_Death

~S~ CD

Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafthero View Post
    The models of the units are wonderful!. Personally i love fantasy mods, can you give us some infos about the setting and the factions?. Will you release it iin the future?.
    That is also work in progress. The mod is set in a still nameless continent. There's going to be 10 factions, some of them does not still have a name, neither a very detailed story. I have been thinking about it a lot, but haven't write it .

There are races in that world. I'll just give a short description about them.
    -Humans, we all know them.

-Lideans: People known for having contact with the underwater beings, mostly lakes and the ocean. Water is a very precious element to them. They use their long ears when they go underwater to hear the sea creatures, spirits, or any other water entity there. (no, they are not fish-men or mermaids, they can go underwater but they can get drown too). Even their armor design is inspired by aquatic fauna.

-Vurdalaks: Not an abundant race, but mostly created with mutation because of other vurdalaks.. People who become vurdalaks, lose their vivid colors, so their skin and hair become completely desaturated, colorless. These "people" have the natural ability to steal a human or lidean's aura by close range. They tend to hunt at night, since its easier to hide or catch a prey, but can also live by day if they wish it.

-Auroans: This people are a mix of a half-Vurdalak woman, Sirana Auroa and a Lidean Man, Noson Dakar, who both created the auroan Kingdom of Nuthoreas. They do have grayscale hair color, but their skin is not as colorless as a vurdalak, because of that, sometimes they are nicknamed "old people". They are nocturnal and have the ability to see in the darkness by dilating their pupils.

later i shall write a more detailed description.

there are more creatures in that world, but they're not important since they don't have anything to do on a battlefield.

- Nameless kingdom 1
    - Kingdom of Arthelad
    - Kingdom of Krondar
    - Chiefdom of Tirom
    - Kingdom of Iltanes
    - Kingdom of Enete
    - Kingdom of Xeleria
    - Kingdom of Nuthoreas
    - Kingdom of Runatia
    - Nameless Kingdom 2

these are all the factions. Later i shall upload a screenshot for every faction.

And yes, i will release it
    Last edited by Arphenion; November 15, 2012 at 12:25 PM.

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

Very, very interested in this mod. As my avatar should suggest, I'm very fond of fantasy warfare.
    EDIT: Also, you could submit the mod onto moddb website:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/add
    Last edited by Hopit; November 22, 2012 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

very interesting, good luck with it.

Hail guys. Its been awhile since the last post. i'll be a thread Necromancer at the moment. Just a reminder that the mod isn't dead.
    I'll upload more pictures of it later, also new units, but on another thread, where i 'll also show the mod's name (which im still working on it .
    never knew that making a title would be a little hard)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast