Thread: Goutlard's Naval projectile overhaul

Goutlard's Avatar Janissary

Default Goutlard's Naval projectile overhaul

Hi everyone, let me present you my third mod of a compilation for Empire Total War. I will today present you a modification of the naval projectile system aiming to improve the realism of the game getting a rid of the poor and unrealistic vanilla . I hope you will enjoy !

Edited Rules Tables :

1. Firepower decreases strongly as range increases.
    2. Accuracy is greatly reduced for naval cannons. They actually were much less performant as smaller, less accurate and longer to reload than their terrestrial counterparts.

Edited Projectile Tables :

1. Misfire rate greatly increased for naval cannons.
    2. Higher sail damage for round shots, now they do damage if a lucky shot hits the mast.
    3. Chain shots are now less accurate and their damage depends on the size of the cannon more than ever before.
    4. Round shot's damage now depends on the size of the cannon more than ever before.
    5. Reload rate is grealy reduced to slow down the naval battles and give more realistic fire rates !

Important :

This mod, even if it can be used alone, is part of an overhaul and works best when used in combination with my other mods as they compensate each other's strenght and weaknesses. Many of my mods have many versions to let you choose the features you want. If you want a new version, tell me, if I do not answer you fast, send me a PM, I'll make it !

Goutlard's Land projectile overhaul
    Goutlard's fatigue overhaul
    Goutlard's Naval projectile overhaul
    Goutlard's Infantry Formations and Firing Drills
    Goutlard's Unit Unlock & Prices

How to install :

1. Download the version of the mod you want, thanks to Radious for his awesome mod concept !
    2. Unzip the downloaded folder.
    3. Put the .pack file in
    C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\empire total war\data
    or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\empire total war\data
    4. Go to C:\Users\ "yourusername" \AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts and create a new text document.
    5. Add to the text document :
    mod "(nameofthe.packfile).pack";
    6. Save as... name : user.script ; format : Unicode (important)

Download Link : https://mega.nz/#!LlFAXRST!qw9yQ1At3npft_IGgaWvMLBmWRV6pz2V7_rm74-U0lI
    Last edited by Goutlard; April 30, 2017 at 08:25 AM.
    Wind from the East's Awards :

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: Goutlard's Naval projectile overhaul

A 1st rate of mine firing board at board with a 3rd rate AI a few times/salvoes - the 3rd rate looses 1 cannon only...Tho I didn't check the crew losses.

What did you mean more exactly by greater damage at close range ?!
    Last edited by Dracula; May 11, 2013 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    A 1st rate of mine firing board at board with a 3rd rate AI a few times/salvoes - the 3rd rate looses 1 cannon only...Tho I didn't check the crew losses.

What did you mean more exactly by greater damage at close range ?!
    Naval projectiles have increased damage in close range, this is a vanilla based issue as the cannonballs are considered ridiculously small by the game engine

If so when is it recognised that such a thing happens ?

If so when is it recognised that such a thing happens ?
    You will notice that projectile damage at close range, close range bonus in kv_rules is raised which makes projectiles more powerfull in short range. Let me explain :

1. Projectiles are less accurate : Cannons have less chances to hit the ennemy ships (which decreases taken hull damage and casualities)
    2. Projectiles are deadlier in close combat : Cannons deal increased damage in close combat (which at the contrary increases hull damage and casualities -piercing hull-)

This results in a situation where the damage per cannonball did not change in the absolute in close combat, only in long ranges due to the loss of velocity and are generally less accurate and reload slower (numbers trying to be as close to reality as possible). This gives out a more realistic naval projectile system but there is a MAJOR problem :

ETW considers cannonballs as large as bullets

In Vanilla, as cannonballs are very small but very accurate, the probability of hitting cannons is high due to two unrealistic factors combining.
    In this mod, as cannonballs are very small but less accurate, the probability of hitting exactly where the cannon is is decreased. This is indeed a compromise
    Last edited by Goutlard; January 08, 2014 at 02:09 PM.

God ! You are saying that the bloody things are deadlier to crew only and have less effect on the ships as a whole ? I was expecting what not from this game but it continues to throw me in shocks...every minute

God ! You are saying that the bloody things are deadlier to crew only and have less effect on the ships as a whole ? I was expecting what not from this game but it continues to throw me in shocks...every minute
    Well in fact the grape shot is now potentially deadlier as the amount of grape fired now depends on the size of the cannon. The cannons are now more damaging to the vessel in close combat and less in ranged combat ; but the cannons are now less vulnerable (they previously had an HP of 1 which meant that a single bullet could destroy a cannon compared to the 20-30 HP of land cannons).
    Last edited by Goutlard; February 25, 2014 at 07:30 AM.

Hello Goutlard:
    I'm wondering if this mod finally tilt the odds towards bigger=better ?
    as in bigger = better period, there should be no doubt whether a 2nd rate will spank up 3 sloops as if there was nothing to it, on auto-resolve

Slightly. It does not change the ships but the projectiles, if you want a bigger = better wait for me to edit the ships

Im really into realism and I don't wanna download something and not like is there anyway you can show a vid?