Thread: Why wont my skyrim work?

Icon9 Why wont my skyrim work?

I got an new pc, with skyrim.
    i installed skyrim it worked fine, then installed an enb and it still worked fine.
    then one day the launcher would crash instantly, as would the game exe. It stopped working for no reason. I pinpointed the problem to d3d9.dll, a file that the enb uses. I i downloaded a fix d3d9, and the game runs, but my graphics drivers crash when i load the world. I uninstall the enb entirely, still the same problem. Reinstalled game twice and still no luck. Why has my game suddenly stopped working, and can i fix it?
    here are my specs:
    HP pavillion desktop
    amd a10 vision 3.4 ghz cpu
    amd hd7570 graphics card
    8GB ram
    2TB hard drive
    windows 8 64 bit os

yes my drivers are up to date.

BigDogDavis's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Why wont my skyrim work?

Do you have any mods running?
    "God is fake because space and science."
    -Jimmy Neutron

ElfCommander's Avatar Civis

Have you verified the integrity of the game cache? (steam properties?)

Try this post: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...17&postcount=8
    He offers some options to try out.

Thanks for the replies. I removed all my mods when the problems began, but this didn't help. And ive already tried most of those things but thanks for the link .

I just remembered that i was using the skyrim creation kit, and was building a mini dungeon. The ck crashed for no apparent reason, and instantly crashed when i ran it again. Thats when the skyrim problems started, i think.

Could the only way to solve this be to format my pc, since the ck may have messed something up when it crashed that skyrim needs to run? Just a thought.

Shea O'Gorath's Avatar Primicerius

when you uninstalled did you deleat any remaining folders in Steam and My Documents

I have returned

Yes, all the ones i know of

Shea O'Gorath's Avatar Primicerius

And does it work when you reinstall without the ENB?

I have returned

No. Like i said, without the enb, my graphics drivers crash when i load a level, so effectively i cant get beyond the main menu.

After I installed the Dragonborn DLC I couldn't play for more than a few seconds before the game crashed to desktop. It kept doing this over and over and I couldn't seem to find what was causing it. Tried with and without mods, and nothing worked. One day I stumbled upon a thread where someone had found a solution. There is a file called skyrim.ini (found in ...My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\). If you open it with notepad, you'll find uGridsToLoad=9 (At least that was what mine read). What I did now is I loaded my save, went to an indoor cell, alt-tabbed to notepad, changed the value from 9 to 5 (uGridsToLoad=5) clicked save, alt-tabbed back to the game, wrote refreshini in the console, then went outside and saved. After doing this, my savegame uses uGridsToLoad=5 and I haven't had a single crash since. I'm not sure if this will help you, but I thought I'd post it anyway.