Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Minor Factions Revenge: Expansion Pack for Empire Total War

Default Re: Minor Factions Revenge: Expansion Pack for Empire Total War

Quote Originally Posted by agunter999 View Post
    I would try reinstalling it from scratch with the installer
    When you say 'from scratch', I take it you mean without any other mods to see if MFR will work with vanilla Empire?

agunter999's Avatar Senator

yes I do, it is actually one of your other mods that is the problem. Which mods do you have installed?

Quote Originally Posted by agunter999 View Post
    yes I do, it is actually one of your other mods that is the problem. Which mods do you have installed?
    Thse are the mods I've enjoyed so far...
    Mod Packs:

mod aum_3
    mod Dracula Rebel Fleet XAkR Gold
    mod aum patch 3
    mod GTradeRoutes
    mod aum_emp_mod

Movie Packs:

mod aum_emp_optional_graphics
    mod Bran_Empire_AI_++

Ok.. I removed them but then I found the reason MFR wasn't working... I hadn't checked the tick boxes in Lt. Chambers mod manager, didn't have to do that for the other mods. Now MFR is working.... what a difference and more units for the Pirates, just what I was after.

Hi agunter! Do you plan releasing a new version?

This isn't my mod I am just an assistant not even that just who helps My mods are for napoleon

Oh sorry then . Sooo...is Itan still active?

This is an amazing mod... my fleet of 5th+ 2x 6th+ brig+ sloop have just been wiped by the Black Pearl, with his nibs at the helm, off the Bahamas. The Pearl's reload speed was awesome.
    Thanks for your help earlier agunter and a big thanks to itan for the mod...

CaloNord's Avatar Foederatus

Hey,this has come up a couple of times but I didn't see any answer. Why are my units converting into Line Infantry of their own accord?

It think it is them just upgrading themselves. I don't know but at least it gets rid of pikeman at the correct historical time And I haven't heard from itan in a long time though I think he may have finished this mod. Again I don't know

That's what I originally thought but it's currently happening with my Cannons to. Which is obscenely annoying. :O Haha

I didn't know it happened with canons, were they the fixed canons?

At the moment it's happening with the Pikemen, who turn into either militia or line, militia who then turn into line, expatriates turn into line, demi/saker turn into line. Caribineers turn into line. . .
    It's becoming rather annoying. I did a fresh install and it still does it. Playing Early, 4 tpy. It's a steam copy to if that makes any difference. . .

Yeh I think it was something that it an made it to happen like that, I am afraid I know nothing about it. It was be a script so I will have a look as soon as I get a moment

Ahhh it happens with Persia to, except they all turn into those Risktaker berzerkers.

That would be AMAZING! I will buy you a house if you can figure out what the hell is causing this! I just watched my Swedish army slowly turn into Line Infantry while marching on Russia. . . Be afraid of my transformer cannons. . . >:O

Well here houses cost about £3 billion jk they cost £200,000 on average so I'll give you instructions how to transfer it over to my account (not kidding) as soon as I find out the issue

Is it possible to mod Nelson to launch with the Victory? This mod has Teach in the Queen Anne and Sparrow in the Pearl, alongside various other nefarious pirates in their ships. Wellington and Bonaparte are there with there land units so what happened to Horatio? He's not even in the admiral roster, I spent a small fortune going through promoting/demoting random admirals.

Ahahahaha! We were looking at moving to Europe, (From Australia) Housing is far more expensive then it is here! :O

Hehehe I'm going to have a poke around as well, it's been a very long time since I've modded a total war game but I'll see what I can do!

Thanks very much for the help!!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

People have been experiencing a problem with units transforming into other types of unit. I have an idea about what could cause this.

I noticed that husserlTW's Empire Total Factions mod uses a lot of different startpos files - in particular, a different startpos file for each emergent faction (the loader inserts the correct startpos for you according to the options that you select on that mod's loading screen). I haven't tried Minor Factions Revenge - does anyone know whether Minor Factions Revenge uses the same approach or not?

When I experimented with using a 'play as the United States' startpos to play as Britain, some of my units transformed into different units (however, using the same startpos to play as the United States, I have not experienced the problem). I have a couple of theories about what caused the problem - they're guesses, really. My guesses are that the unit transformation problem is caused by either:-
    (a) playing with a 'hybrid' startpos (which tend to be used to allow people to play as a particular emergent faction); perhaps this can cause the unit transformation problem when playing as a faction other than the faction which the hybrid startpos was set up to play
    (b) when victory conditions are added to a faction which you cannot normally play, this is normally done by 'cloning' the victory conditions of another faction (I cloned Britain's victory conditions to create victory conditions for the United States); perhaps this cloning process somehow causes the unit transformation problem?

I could be wrong, of course. If Minor Factions Revenge does use different startpos files for different factions, then I am probably wrong. If either of my guesses is right, then it might be possible to work around the problem.
    Last edited by Alwyn; August 21, 2014 at 12:27 PM.

Interesting! Would anyone know how to go about testing this? I just tried France, in America the French militia randomly turn into Iroquois auxiliary units. >.>

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

If the problem is linked to the startpos files which Minor Factions Revenge uses, then I wonder if it would be possible to either:-
    (a) Transplant a startpos file used by Empire Total Factions (ETF), so that you'd be playing Minor Factions Revenge with an ETF startpos, or
    (b) Install Empire Total Factions and import the content which you like from Minor Factions Revenge (MFR), so that you'd play Empire Total Factions with at least some of the features which you like from MFR

I don't know whether either of those ideas would work. I can suggest ways of doing (a) and (b) which could work but I haven't tested either of them. Would anyone be willing to test either of them? I'm afraid that, if you do this, you could spend a lot of time moving files around without any guarantee of a successful result. If you are tempted to try this, then I recommend reading the whole of this post below, including the suggestions for what to do if you experience problems - which include re-installing the whole game - you have been warned!

To try (a), I guess the safer way to do this would be to (1) either select 'Restore' in Minor Factions Revenge or temporarily uninstall MFR, (2) install ETF, (3) find the ETF startpos files (on my computer which has ETF installed, the startpos files which ETF uses are in C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Empire Total War/ETF folder) - the specific path may vary depending for example on which operating system your computer uses (4) Copy to a different location the folder containing the ETF startpos files (including the start_list.text file which tells use which startpos is intended to be used with with faction or faction), (5) uninstall Empire Total Factions (6) re-activate or re-install Minor Factions Revenge, (7) copy the MFR startpos files somewhere else (so that you can put them back if you want to) and (8) try replacing one or more of the MFR startpos files with an ETF startpos file. I don't know if the game would even start if you did all of this, I'm afraid, so you could spend a lot of time testing this only to find that the game CTDs on launch.

To try (b), you would need to (1) find the MFR files which contain the features which you like (extra units, etc); they are likely to be in the C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/empire total war/data folder. I noticed that, in an early post, a player listed the mod files which MFR was loading, so that may help players to identify which files MFR uses. From the mod's installation instructions, it appears that mod files belonging to MFR have the prefix IT_ (2) Copy those MFR files to another location, (3) Uninstall MFR, (4) Install ETF, (5) put the MFR files in the C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/empire total war/data folder - again the path may vary depending on, e.g., your operating system, (6) activate the MFR files using a script file C:/Users/[your user name]/AppData/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Empire. If you don't know how to use a script file, I posted suggestions and an example here. As with the previous suggestion, I do not know whether this would work. It is possible to play ETF with additional mods including unit packs - I'm using ETF with Pom's Italian States mod at the moment. So it should be possible to (at least) add the extra units from MFR to ETF. Having said that, presumably (at least some of) the extra MFR units require the special MFR buildings. I don't know how many of the MFR files (if any) could be added to ETF without causing annoying side-effects including CTDs. You could, of course, experiment to see which MFR files can be added without causing problems.

If moving these files around causes problems with your game
    If you experience problems, then I can suggest some basic things to do:-
    (1) Uninstall mods and verify the integrity of your game on Steam -
    on Steam, right-click on Empire Total War, select Properties, then Local Files, then Verify Integrity of Game Cache, then re-install mods
    (2) Go to
    C:/Users/[your user name]/AppData/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Empire folder. Copy your preferences.empire_script.txt file to another location. Then delete the preferences.empire_script.text file in the The Creative Assembly/Empire folder. Then re-start the game (the game will detect that it doesn't have this file and will re-create it - you don't need to put back the copy of the preferences file which you made. I just suggested doing that because I prefer to avoid deleting any file belonging to a game without making a back-up copy first).
    (3) If the above suggestions don't work, I'm afraid that you may need to uninstall and re-install the game, which (for me) takes over 2 hours. For me, the best way to do this seems to be to (a) copy your saved games from the C:/Users/[your user name]/AppData/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Empire/save_games folder to another location (so that you can copy them back at the end of this process), (b) copy any mods which are installed, e.g. in your data folder, to another location, (c) take a deep breath and think carefully about whether you're about to delete anything you wanted to keep, (d) delete your C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/empire total war folder, (e) delete your C:/Users/[your user name]/AppData/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Empire, (f) go to Steam and re-install your game and (g) re-install your mods, (h) copy your saved games back to the C:/Users/[your user name]/AppData/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Empire/save_games folder. If you have to do this, then I am really sorry!
    (4) If none of (1) to (3) works, then I can only suggest seeking advice from more experienced people on this forum

[Edit] see also the post on the next page of this thread
    Last edited by Alwyn; August 23, 2014 at 04:13 AM.