Thread: Lesson 4 - message board

Default Lesson 4 - message board

1. What do you think is the most important role of pictures in your AAR writing?
    2. What do you see as the biggest challenge when you select photos?
    3. What pet hates do you have when seeing your own or other people's photos?

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Lesson 4 - message board

1. Pictures are needed for the reader to help gaining a clear view of the events. It can be used to patch up not-so-great writing skills (which should not be something to be ashamed about). But the most important role that pictures have, is that they what separates the AAR from a generic fictive writing. The pictures are really needed for that. Whenever I see an AAR lacking in-game pictures, I think it has turned into a novel and isn't an AAR. It kind of gives the vision that the AARs are starting to go extinct by evolving away from their game base.

2. The biggest challenge is trying to get a good angle. Too many times do I end up getting a bad angle, where the action is hard to see clearly. At least this is how I see it.

3. What I said above there. The angle I get in my images is often very annoying. I've yet to pick up something to hate in the picture's of others though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kybrothilian View Post
    1. Pictures are needed for the reader to help gaining a clear view of the events. It can be used to patch up not-so-great writing skills (which should not be something to be ashamed about). But the most important role that pictures have, is that they what separates the AAR from a generic fictive writing. The pictures are really needed for that. Whenever I see an AAR lacking in-game pictures, I think it has turned into a novel and isn't an AAR. It kind of gives the vision that the AARs are starting to go extinct by evolving away from their game base.
    This is a good point, and sometimes I think AAR writing is like comic books: you have to have some pictures. When I got into AAR reading a long time ago, it was the pictures that hooked me, seeing how other people's battles look like from the inside.

1. What do you think is the most important role of pictures in your AAR writing?
    2. What do you see as the biggest challenge when you select photos?
    3. What pet hates do you have when seeing your own or other people's photos?

1. There's a saying that a picture is worth 1,000 words. Well if that is true, then it will be a benefit in a few ways;
    - Saves you 1,000 words to write for your AAR, and
    - Will give the reader a glimpse of perhaps the general setting you tried to set by selecting a specific picture.

Realistically, unless you are doing a very picturesque AAR, only a handful of pictures are needed to convey a battle, or scene if they are the right pictures. Selecting the right pictures I would imagine would be an important decision by authors, assuming ofcourse.

2. The right shot. Depending on if your using a specific program, (such as a 3rd party video recorder, which would allow you to go back to any moment of the battle), or if you have available a replay, you can go back and be selective of pictures. This also might save you having to prepare a perfect shot, which may effect the outcome, or focus of structuring a battle.

3. Angle selection is crucial. Deciding what to include, and what not to include. This might often be ignored largely by authors, who may be blinded by what their focusing on specifically, versus what could be included to make the shot great, and still tell that specific story the author envisions themselves. It's very tricky to incorporated cinematography and battle actions in a great picture.