Thread: Change byzantine to eastern roman empire

cenkiss's Avatar Domesticus

Default Change byzantine to eastern roman empire

As i know eastern roman empire always had roman in its name and was called that way by everyone around them. Byzantine empire term was created after the empire ended.I think it will be better this way.

Default Re: Change byzantine to eastern roman empire

Quote Originally Posted by cenkiss View Post
    As i know eastern roman empire always had roman in its name and was called that way by everyone around them. Byzantine empire term was created after the empire ended.I think it will be better this way.
    Yes mate, we know this detail, after one or two consultation, we may step for it.

+ Rep for your help anyway. .

Julio85's Avatar Biarchus

I'm agree with ERE name!

Quote Originally Posted by Julio85 View Post
    I'm agree with ERE name!
    Okay, we've already used the name of 'The Eastern Rome Empire'. A little mistake on presantation stuff.

I mean don't worry now.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Actually, the ERE name is just as inaccurate as the Byzantine name - the ERE existed only until the fall of the WRE to the Goths. After that, Odoacer returned the royal insignia to Constantinople (in return for a Roman title and recognition) and thus there was once again only one single Roman Empire. At least until 1204...

So, if you're going with an English name, then "Roman Empire" is the most correct. Respectively, with a native name it would be either "Vasileia ton Romaion" (Empire of the Romans) or "Romaiki avtokratoria" (Roman Empire).