Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: "Vastator Unit Style 1.3". A more unit variety type mod. 1.3 RELEASED!

Default Re: "Vastator Unit Style 1.2". A more unit variety type mod. NEW VERSION NOW UP!

Some more, last time

Also, does anyone know how to find out what causes the game to crash?

I don't think it's the mods as it has only happened recently while I've been changing graphics (I run everything on ultra, except shadows on high, no soft shadows and only MLAA with very good performance thanks to superghostboy)...
    Get to the trireme!

Default Re: "Vastator Unit Style 1.2". A more unit variety type mod. NEW VERSION NOW UP!

is there any chance adding them armour that has white ring circles on them to all samurais units? except ashigarus? cause bringing some little art into would look nice

=Vastator='s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Hazeyshot View Post
    is there any chance adding them armour that has white ring circles on them to all samurais units? except ashigarus? cause bringing some little art into would look nice
    Can you be more specific (an image would be perfect)? And what's the meaning?

@Lord-FisherGood screens (i especially like the image colours and settings). I'm sorry, don't know the cause of crashes. Surely the settings could be a cause of instability if you have a not so powerful machine.
    Disclaimer: the post above is way way prealpha, the final version will be way better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by =Vastator= View Post
    Can you be more specific (an image would be perfect)? And what's the meaning?

@Lord-FisherGood screens (i especially like the image colours and settings). I'm sorry, don't know the cause of crashes. Surely the settings could be a cause of instability if you have a not so powerful machine.
    Crashes seem to have stopped now...not sure what it was...plus, I have quite a nice PC, if I don't say so myself

Thanks, I was thinking about editing them, but I don't really think they need it Out of interest, what's your view on grass? I usually set it to low, so that I can see the bodies better in their lovely goriness, but sometimes it makes the ground look a bit bare...

EDIT: Btw, I think what Hazeyshot is reffering to is the painted rings on the samurai armour, seen on the katana hero in your mod (which by the way, look awesome)...I would also like a bit more variation to the samurai armour, if possible

I think he means this one:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Lord-Fisher; January 22, 2013 at 01:18 PM.
    Get to the trireme!

this body plate.. i just find is nice to see on more Samurai units instead of just hero ones, and it does feel to me its gives an realistic look as well

this body plate.. i just find is nice to see on more Samurai units instead of just hero ones, and it does feel to me its gives an realistic look as well
    Actually, I'd rather find it much less realistic. Looking at images of samurais (Google...) I don't really find examples of such a decoration for samurai armour... And I really don't see why 20% of your samurai army would wear such a ring decoration.

For a single elite unit, perhaps that'd be ok to use a specific decoration to distinguish yourself from the masses (like painting the armour in red, for Takeda's Red Fire unit), but then all members would use it (not only a select few), as a recognition pattern - or only the unit's commander (and perhaps a very few decoys). For non-elite units I'd really see no reason.

Is there a way to kill off that file with the decorative ring on the breastplate? Maybe replace a file with a plain breastplate skin?

Sorry, but I think it looks silly too being on just some of the guys, to the point of being distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by grbo View Post
    Actually, I'd rather find it much less realistic. Looking at images of samurais (Google...) I don't really find examples of such a decoration for samurai armour... And I really don't see why 20% of your samurai army would wear such a ring decoration.

For a single elite unit, perhaps that'd be ok to use a specific decoration to distinguish yourself from the masses (like painting the armour in red, for Takeda's Red Fire unit), but then all members would use it (not only a select few), as a recognition pattern - or only the unit's commander (and perhaps a very few decoys). For non-elite units I'd really see no reason.
    Yes, good point, we are on the same wavelength then.

@greengriffon
    What are you talking about? The circlets on ashigaru units? Nex versiol will get rid of them, here are some screens.

Though it's not possible to make each unit with own faction mon depicted on its armor, some specific units, like the shimazu katana samurai, can have their proper mon. Here is an example.

Thanks for watching
    Disclaimer: the post above is way way prealpha, the final version will be way better than this.

brilliant,that is just perfect!

Mon on the armour would rather be for ashigaru, I'd feel. So that'd work for all Oda, Hattori and Ikko Ikki ashigaru units (though Ikko Ikki would be better in more "peasant style" outfits), and Chosokabe ashigaru archers.

Mon on the armour would rather be for ashigaru, I'd feel. So that'd work for all Oda, Hattori and Ikko Ikki ashigaru units (though Ikko Ikki would be better in more "peasant style" outfits), and Chosokabe ashigaru archers.
    So are you saying that samurai didn't have mon on their armor, only ashigaru? Any sources where i can read something or other people confirming this?
    I found also this, but i don't know how much historical is.

It's only a feeling, not a statement.

When looking at Google images, most samurai armour pictures have no mon on them (modern reproductions often have a mon, but most museum pieces do not... those which have seem to be later Edo period). Contrarily to ashigaru pictures, where seeing the mon is frequent.

From what I'd interpret, samurai were no commoners, and would have a personal mon of their family (contrarily to ashigaru, who were commoners and had no personal mon at the time). The sashimono, with the clan's mon, would already be enough to identify their side on the battlefield anyway - painting the clan's mon on a samurai's amour feels somewhat too much, and even distract from its very personalised aspect.
    Last edited by grbo; February 01, 2013 at 07:55 PM.

I absolutely love the mons on the samurai armour! I'd love to see this for all the other clans as well.

Perhaps though, the mon should be a little smaller? (judging by the reference you posted)

Any ETA on this release?
    Get to the trireme!

It's only a feeling, not a statement.

When looking at Google images, most samurai armour pictures have no mon on them (modern reproductions often have a mon, but most museum pieces do not... those which have seem to be later Edo period). Contrarily to ashigaru pictures, where seeing the mon is frequent.

From what I'd interpret, samurai were no commoners, and would have a personal mon of their family (contrarily to ashigaru, who were commoners and had no personal mon at the time). The sashimono, with the clan's mon, would already be enough to identify their side on the battlefield anyway - painting the clan's mon on a samurai's amour feels somewhat too much, and even distract from its very personalised aspect.
    Thanks for your infos, i will temporarily keep it and decide what to do in the future.

@Lord-Fisher: Eta? I really don't know, since i'm doing some experiments and i don't know what stuff will be in the next version.

Maybe provide different versions, so the users can choose what they'd prefer?

In other words:
    - one version with "decorated" uniforms (mon on samurai armour, circlets for ashigarus, etc...)
    - one version with "blank" uniforms (no circlets, no mons, etc... on samurai armour)

Otherwise, I don't think it'd be possible to satisfy everyone - as you can see, Lord-Fisher has an opinion completely opposite of mine...

Maybe provide different versions, so the users can choose what they'd prefer?

In other words:
    - one version with "decorated" uniforms (mon on samurai armour, circlets for ashigarus, etc...)
    - one version with "blank" uniforms (no circlets, no mons, etc... on samurai armour)

Otherwise, I don't think it'd be possible to satisfy everyone - as you can see, Lord-Fisher has an opinion completely opposite of mine...
    The, let's say, current scheduled official version, will have mons for limited samurai unit (for example shimazu katana sam, chosokabe bow sam) and no ashigaru circlets. But i think i'll do some submod versions like you suggest.

Has anyone some infos about wako pirates? In the ui cards they are showed with tatoos, any info of these? And what's this "blue beard"?

I like the Ikko-Ikki look a lot. Is there a way you can make a version of the mod that changes only ikko-ikki? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IGdood View Post
    I like the Ikko-Ikki look a lot. Is there a way you can make a version of the mod that changes only ikko-ikki? Thanks
    No, sorry, i don't want to create too many different version since it can confuse people.
    But what you're asking can be done quite easily.

Open vus.pack with Daniu's PFM, goto vus.pack->varaintmodels->units and delete all files except ikko ikki unity ones (all files that have ikko ikki, katana ashigaru, marathon monks, ronin in their name). Save. Done!
    For white recolour of ashigaru ikko ikki unit, i suggest using Demokritos' ACC.

If you want to know more feel free to ask.

vastator, i think blue was there for the details so i wouldnt worry.. but tattoos ideas does sound really good, i think you should make an attempt for it and see how it goes.. but... will it work for radious units of wako

vastator, i think blue was there for the details so i wouldnt worry.. but tattoos ideas does sound really good, i think you should make an attempt for it and see how it goes.. but... will it work for radious units of wako
    Actually i think they are some kind of "war paintings", not tattoos. But i like the idea and i'm doing some attempts