Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Product Reviews Feedback and ROTM CommentaryThread

Acco's Avatar Дијана

Default Product Reviews Feedback and ROTM CommentaryThread

We're a new forum with a new idea, and we'd love to hear your feedback. Post here any thoughts, comments, suggestions etc. you have and we'll be sure to discuss your point in the CAT forum. Don't be shy and we're really hoping for lots of ideas here - so just post away!

Here you can also discuss the Review of the Month Competition.

The Curia Action Team,
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; December 12, 2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: font

Default Re: Product Reviews Feedback Thread

It took me a while to find, since its buried quite deeply in the games/activities/chat forum. Perhaps it could be moved or a new one made?

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Thanks for the insight, great to have a different perspective. I'll take it back and see what we can do.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Citizen

Blog Entries

Okay guys, so we are thinking of introducing some solid categorises, instead of people just coming up with their own.

So far we are thinking of having 4 broad categories, which will split and divide as more reviews get posted. Those 4 at the minute are:

-Recreational Products
    -Tech Products
    -Consumable Products
    -Tools and Resources

However before we implement them we'd like your suggestions as well, do you think these are enough or if not, what do you think could be added/removed/changed to improve them.

Thanks,

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Default Review of the Month Commentary Thread

What are the competition points good for? There is no medal, I presume.

Default Re: Review of the Month, December Submissions Thread

There's going to be a table, and should the competitions go well, we might try and ask for a medal, or it could feed into another idea the CAT is currently formulating

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

why doesn't all the reviews from the month just get entered automatically?

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Major Darling View Post

6. Anyone besides the competition organisers found viewing the results before the poll has finished will banned from the Reviews forum.

Is the poll going to be hidden until it is over? If so, the only people able to view "the results before the poll has finished" are moderators and Hex.

You're going to ban moderators and Hex?

Edit: Feel free to move this to a more suitable 'commentary' thread btw.
    Last edited by Legio; December 03, 2012 at 07:00 AM.

Again, I was simply acting on instructions from my predecessor, will edit them, and will move these posts

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Review of the Month Commentary Thread

Does movie- and book reviews count as well? Or does it have to be a product?
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Ascarona's Avatar Praeses

I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but this reviewing thing is kind of fun and I think I might actually start contributing to this site after my strong 2 year resolve not to , and a competition is a great motivation.
    “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

For now covers all products that have been "reviewed". (just a post so you do not feel too lonely. )

Acco's Avatar Дијана

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    Does movie- and book reviews count as well? Or does it have to be a product?
    To not steal the fire from other forums, I think film, album, and literature reviews should be placed in The Arts forum. I'll bring this issue to the CAT team, because I think The Arts forum and this forum could cooperate quite a bit, possibly allowing reviews posted there to be entered in competitions here, etc.

Some book reviews can definitely go here already, though. For example, I wrote a review on a language book, and textbooks or other books of an educational nature should be fair game, since you purchase the book for some other purpose than just reading.
    На Запад масивно сиви облаци
    Од Исток сонце и вистина излези
    Macedonia

Citizen

Blog Entries

Thanks, of course as more reviews get posted we could add categories and make them less broad etc.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legio View Post
    Is the poll going to be hidden until it is over? If so, the only people able to view "the results before the poll has finished" are moderators and Hex.
    The wording will be staying how it is.

For example, Raglan has written a review, and if he were to enter and it was found he had been viewing the polls before the results were announced (because he is a mod) then he'd be disqualified from the competition. Not that I am saying eh would do that, but it is just an example.

Content Emeritus

How exactly will you ascertain that he is viewing the poll results and not the thread itself (i.e. in order to vote for someone else or post encouragement to the other competitors)?

(The above is impossible btw - thus you would be banning staff members and alienating both Moderation Staff and Hex based on nothing more than suspicion. Is that what you want for the competition?)

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Acco View Post
    To not steal the fire from other forums, I think film, album, and literature reviews should be placed in The Arts forum. I'll bring this issue to the CAT team, because I think The Arts forum and this forum could cooperate quite a bit, possibly allowing reviews posted there to be entered in competitions here, etc.

Some book reviews can definitely go here already, though. For example, I wrote a review on a language book, and textbooks or other books of an educational nature should be fair game, since you purchase the book for some other purpose than just reading.
    Well, I've written a review on a novel, so this is pretty dissapointing :/ I hope I'll be able to add it to the competition in any case
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Shank I think Mods and Hex are at a level where we can trust them

Ascarona's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Major Darling View Post
    Shank I think Mods and Hex are at a level where we can trust them
    Not to discredit the people running this site for us, but I can definately remember some cases where high ranking people were corrupting some polls. Back when Antwerpen was in the CdeC for example.

You never know for certain brah.
    “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ascarona View Post
    Not to discredit the people running this site for us, but I can definately remember some cases where high ranking people were corrupting some polls. Back when Antwerpen was in the CdeC for example.

You never know for certain brah.
    CdeC isn't a high rank and he was running the polls, meaning that your analogy would be better suited to CAT than Staff.

Furthermore, that was a case of editing, not viewing results. Hidden poll results are visible by default to moderators upon viewing the thread where the poll is, i.e. they will see them whether they like it or not, especially after voting. See my point a few posts above - it is impossible to ascertain if someone is viewing the poll or just the thread. Do you intend to ban people for simply viewing the thread? How could you possibly even try enforcing that? It's impossible.

It would also alienate Moderators and Hex who end up being banned over a silly rule like this (although it would be interesting to see someone try to ban a Hex...).

Edit: Are you trying to emulate TotW's "you are honor bound etc."? If so, phrase it like that instead of "View things and you are banned". Poll results are automatically visible to moderators after voting. Assuming your case of Raglan, a vote will automatically ban him from the competition? Do you see how impossible it would be to keep track of, let alone enforce this, and how ruinous it would be for CAT-Staff relations to try?
    Last edited by Legio; December 08, 2012 at 12:03 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast