Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Product reviews - Rules

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Product reviews - Rules

Please note that the Terms of Service will be strictly enforced here, as in any part of the site.

The "Product Reviews" forum is a place for members to write their own personal reviews on products they own. It may be a new Smartphone they have bought or something like a pair of running shoes - that is the beauty, all sorts of products can be reviewed here! We expect the reviews to be of a high-quality and written professionally, we want a review that tells us about the product its self, not past grievances you have had with a company. Please not that reviews of obscene products will be removed. What falls under this category is at the discretion of the CAT.

This is why there will be a specific guideline that we require you to follow when posting a review, and whether or not your review meets these guidelines is up to interpretation of the moderators - so please stick to it and don't give us any reason to close your thread.

The Guideline:

Thread title:
    • Product name - The name of the product e.g. Fredo

• Company - who makes it e.g. Cadbury
    • Price - how much it costs e.g. Ł0.20
    • Intro - how you came about it etc. e.g. I first came across this product when a friend offered me one. I really enjoyed it and had to go out and buy another one.
    • Pros - what is good about this product e.g. It is a great small sized snack for those wanting a little chocolate; It is tasty
    • Cons - what isn't good about this product e.g. There is not enough; It is quite expensive for what you are getting
    • How it has helped you/what it has done etc. (if applicable) e.g. It has allowed me to eat chocolate without feeling as guilty
    • Conclusion - would you buy again etc. e.g. I would buy this product again because although it is expensive for what you are getting it is a great one of "treat" to have when that crave of some chocolate arrives

Please note that this is a simple example and the more detailed and balanced your review is the better, and base it off personal experience not speculation. We recommend you also include pictures to make descriptions clearer etc. Also a poll is required with 5 options, 1-5, for rating the product. These polls must be public and not multiple choice.

Advertising or promotion of any kind is not allowed and such threads will be deleted, with infractions being given if you continue to post in such a fashion or if the offence is severe enough; again this is according to moderator discretion so if any doubt please contact a moderator or site administrator first.

As long as your review fits this specification you should be fine. We hope you enjoy what there is to offer.

TWC Staff

This is what we've got so far, is it okay to go ahead?
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; October 24, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Product reviews - Rules

Hm, technically, while having a close look at the obscene content rule, one could very well review something like a dildo or a vibrator if one does not go into graphic detail of the practices the product is used for but if one would only concentrate on the details of the product and keep the rest rather abstract. Is this desired?
    I mean, there's always moderator discretion, but you know if not desired products of this 'genre' should be excluded expressis verbis beforehand, because those things would make splendid cases before the Tribunal.

On the other hand, I bet guns will be reviewed and obviously guns are only good for one purpose and this is killing -yeah I know deterrence, self-defense and sports and all that- but seriously, guns are made for killing and for sure killing is worse then pleasuring oneself, thus better ban reviews on them, you know.
    Just providing some thoughts and examples of thoughts that should either be outlined in detail, or if not and handled with discretion, should be expected to be seen before the Tribunal.
    Last edited by Aikanár; October 23, 2012 at 12:48 PM.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Citizen

Blog Entries

It says the ToS will be strictly enforced, so I assume that'd mean leaving out reviewing said products under the obscene content rule?

Blog Entries

Are they subject to the obscene content rule? Are you sure? I'm not

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Citizen

Blog Entries

If we are talking about reviewing stuff like dildos etc. if a pictures i provided in the review:
    Providing image, video, or audio files that represent or hint at sexual intercourse, foreplay, :wub:, etc.
    I'm pretty sure that is what a dildo hints at. But yeah it is a pretty weak link.
    The "Product Reviews" forum is a place for members to write their own personal reviews on products they own. It may be a new Smartphone they have bought or something like a pair of running shoes - that is the beauty, all sorts of products can be reviewed here! We expect the reviews to be of a high-quality and written professionally, we want a review that tells us about the product its self, not past grievances you have had with a company. Please not that reviews of products found in Adult Stores etc. are not allowed.
    We could add that clause and build on it?

Blog Entries

That's what I meant, rather shaky ground. Your suggestions is a good one, I think. But since these are just my thoughts, lets hear some other opinions about that

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Aik, makes a very valid point, this forum is for people 13 and over, therefore certain products must be unaccepatable. I think urgent clarification is required, any weapon of any kind is a definate no no, guns, knifes, swords,etc.

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

Citizen

Blog Entries

Okay, fair point.

How about:
    The "Product Reviews" forum is a place for members to write their own personal reviews on products they own. It may be a new Smartphone they have bought or something like a pair of running shoes - that is the beauty, all sorts of products can be reviewed here! We expect the reviews to be of a high-quality and written professionally, we want a review that tells us about the product its self, not past grievances you have had with a company. Please note that reviews on inappropriate (dildos, guns etc.) and illegal (drugs etc.) are not allowed. It is up to the moderators to decide what is classed as the above.

Citizen

Blog Entries

I think the quicker we get this posted the better.

Blog Entries

Yeah but one or two days won't kill the cat and some more input besides the three of us can't hurt since if somebody might post a review in the meanwhile it can still be dealt with if need be on moderator's discretion.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Yeah, we do have nine lives.

Please don't put the word dildo in there

I would suggest you say obscene content, defined at the CAT's discretion.

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Agreed with Darling, leave it more open for interpretation. Also, I don't see the issue with gun reviews. I have fired many a gun, but 99.9% of the time, nothing dies afterwards. Describing how lovely it is to kill someone with a particular make is one thing, but a review up to standards about how a certain gun is great for shooting skeet or what have you shouldn't be necessarily forbidden just 'cuz guns.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Yeah, sounds good MD.

I'll see if Acco has any view before posting this evening.

Acco's Avatar Дијана

Yep, the rules look good.

'Obscene content' should suffice, in my opinion.
    На Запад масивно сиви облаци
    Од Исток сонце и вистина излези
    Macedonia

Blog Entries

And this obscene content goes by what definition, by that of the obscene content rule in ToS or just by discretion? Because it's totally possible to write a product review about adult toys and the such without ever being liable to that rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    And this obscene content goes by what definition, by that of the obscene content rule in ToS or just by discretion? Because it's totally possible to write a product review about adult toys and the such without ever being liable to that rule.
    Absolutely spot on, from my learned colleague, you need to be specific, otherwise you will make moderation ambigious and if it goes to tribunal, they could get thru on a 'loophole' or technicality

Thats what the discretion is for

Quote Originally Posted by Major Darling View Post
    Thats what the discretion is for
    MD,

This site can be used by children, think this needs to be more robust, I am not for discretion, it needs to be clearly defined

Blog Entries

I do very well understand what discretion is good for
    I'm just suggesting to think first about how to deal with such possibilities in order to make it enjoyable for all, those who write, those who seek for reviews and those who run the forum. I'm not ascribing a malicious intend by default if somebody might write such a review, after all, it's nothing "bad" in itself. It might just be inapropriate concerning our Pegi 13 page.
    In the end, it's up to you and most probably something like this, if deleted by you as a LM of the Forum, might not even be appealable (LM deletions cannot be dealt with by the Tribunal) which might provoke even greater grievance and disturbance.
    Just a suggestion, it's up to you four guys to run this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast