Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect 4

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Mass Effect 4

I had fun with all three. Seems like it's not even an assumption to go with the fourth.

What's it got to do with the fact that I liked all three
    Then speak for yourself, otherwise, I am to assume that you find this game objectivel I found 3 not much fun to play, in quite a few large sections of the game, avoiding the plot complaints, which themselves are pretty important.

*snip
    It's called an analogy and it serves to illustrate a point, which you did... to my benefit... for some reason.

Saxdude is willing to give the series another chance, saying that it shouldn't be impossible to make a good game out of the setting, but the entire setting has already been tainted. I realise not everyone will see it like this though.
    well I mean you could just avoid talking about it, in game, retcon tiny pieces of information, or what have you, but like the Michael Bay analogy, I wont give it another chance unless it gets glowing reviews from someone who wasn't suckered in by the endings DLC.
    Last edited by saxdude; August 12, 2014 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    That doesn't sound like it's true. I mean, at first you might think so, but then I realise that I've never been one to buy a game just for gameplay. What does "fun to play" mean? Does it mean solid gameplay? PES has solid gameplay but I couldn't care less about football games. Does it mean an enjoyable experience? Now you're talking, but I can't enjoy a game with a story. Saxdude is willing to give the series another chance, saying that it shouldn't be impossible to make a good game out of the setting, but the entire setting has already been tainted. I realise not everyone will see it like this though. It's just that I'm surprised that even after ample demonstration of their incompetence people are still willing to give Bioware another chance. A little extrapolation goes a long way, here.
    Want solid gameplay? I mean nothing but gameplay? Go check out Risk of Rain. That game's story is nothing more than "Get the hell off this planet" and it's a frakking 2d sidescroller no less. But solid as hell gameplay.

I really couldn't give a damn less what you mean by solid gameplay especially when it comes to bioware because you have some godforsaken high standard shielded by a glass ceiling that's impossible to reach and all I know is that I've enjoyed every game in the trilogy. But then, I've played games for over twenty years and had my fair share of bad games, and believe it or not, Mass Effect 3(or Mass Effect 2) wasn't one of them, whatever the hell you really want to think about it. It's called perspective.
    Last edited by Gaidin; August 18, 2014 at 12:26 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Iron Aquilifer's Avatar Protector Domesticus

So begins my fear that ME4 will be the end of a franchise that started well...

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Aquilifer View Post
    So begins my fear that ME4 will be the end of a franchise that started well...
    Did I miss some news ?

Iron Aquilifer's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Dont think so, I just start getting chills after all the activity dies down.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Details about the game leaked

http://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/c...etails_leaked/

Moving the setting to Andromeda sound like a very smart idea. I like the idea of being able to build colonies and advancing your weapons (though it sounds much like Inquisition)
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Mass Effect Inquisition, there i said it.

Comes Domesticorum

This doesn't sound like something that I'd be immediately interested in. I want the game to take place in Citadel space, the world that was already created by BioWare and which needs more exploration without the Fear of bogeyman.

Huh, yeah im sorry but i woudnt be interested in that at all. And i freaking love all the mass effect lore and universe.

It just shows how much they ed with ME3, the only solution the current devs have found is going to freaking andromeda.

I want a game in the milky way with a reconstructing galaxy and with all the council and other species there. I`d love it to be about a imminent war with the terminus systems or a specific species that was advanced but the reapers considered taking its home planet after earth had been conquered, which means giving the fact that the reapers were defeated this species had a ''easy'' run and after the war they wanted to take advantage of the weak situation of the whole galaxy.

Also no N7 please, and make it so that you can play with other main races such as Asari, salarian, batarian and turian and the beginning of the game changes accordingly (something like dragon age origin, but more extreme maybe).
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

I think it sounds awesome! I would have liked to explore council races homeworlds, and stuff, but this is still pretty cool! I do agree with Wulf about the player character. I want to be able to play as an alien, I am also tired of human N7. Different playable species is something that makes games have replay value for me. Unfortunately, I think we are going to get another human N7 (or just a human in general).

The only species that have bodies like that are Asari and Humans, and it can't be Asari because one is a male.

We better have an Asari love interest!
    Last edited by SturmChurro; April 22, 2015 at 07:04 PM.

Everything that was leaked through the Bioware/EA survey (that's how Inquisition was also leaked)

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2015/04/...-leak.html?m=1

Mass Effect 4

The Next Mass Effect Context

The next Mass Effect game takes place in the Helius Cluster (a cluster of 100s of solar systems in the Andromeda Galaxy), far removed by time and space from Commander Shepard’s heroic acts and the final events of the Mass Effect trilogy. You are a pathfinder, a combat trained but un-tested explorer leading an expedition into the Helius cluster to establish a new home for humanity. As you explore this sprawling series of solar systems (over 4x the size of Mass Effect 3), collecting resources and building colonies, you will encounter the savagery of untamed lands in the form of cut-throat outlaws and warring alien races. To survive and colonize the wild reaches of space, you will need to grow your arsenal, your ship, your crew and make strategic (and often uneasy) alliances to fight against increasingly menacing foes. Along the way, you will encounter the remains of a once powerful and mysterious alien race, the Remnant, whose forgotten technology holds the key to gaining power in this region of the galaxy. As you uncover who the Remnant were, and the mysteries their ruins contain, you are drawn into a violent race to find the source of their forgotten technology that will determine the fate of humanity.

Collect Resources to Fuel your Growth

Scour solar systems and planets within the Helius Cluster to find valuable resources and blueprints of long forgotten alien technology that will allow you to craft better equipment and weapons, such as improving your leg armor to allow you to jetpack jump, or upgrading your cryo-beam (laser cannon) to target enemies or do area damage around you to clear out close threats. As you build your arsenal and resource infrastructure, you will be able to explore deeper into the increasingly dangerous and resource-rich solar systems of the Helius Cluster.

A Capable Crew

Throughout the story, you will recruit seven distinct crew members to fight by your side. Each crew member has a unique personality and specific abilities that open up strategic options as you choose which two of them to bring into each mission. For example, Cora has the ability to deploy a biotic shield that protects everyone in the bubble while still allowing you and your squad to fire out of it. Your crew will grow alongside you as you explore the Helius Cluster, and you can choose how you upgrade your crew’s weapons, gear and abilities to increase their individual combat effectiveness. Create the perfect squad to react to any situation and to support your preferred gameplay style.

Your Crew, Your Story

Your crew members aren’t merely hired guns – they are part of the living universe in the Helius Cluster that develops in response to your actions and choices. Increase each crew member’s loyalty by pursuing missions that are important to that specific character. For example, when a Krogan colony ship has been stolen by one of the outlaw factions leaving the colonists stranded without resources to survive, your Krogan squad mate, Drack, is determined to strike out against them. If you take the mission and help him track down the outlaws’ hideout to return the ship to its rightful owners, Drack’s loyalty toward you and your squad will increase and Drack will unlock a brand new skill tree.

Explore each individual’s backstory and develop your relationship with them through conversations and unique missions. True to Mass Effect, what you choose to say will directly affect your crew’s loyalty and relationship with you, and will open up different conversations and narrative opportunities at the end of the game depending upon how you approach each encounter.

Deployed Strike Team Missions

The Helius Cluster is 1000s of light years across, and you can’t be everywhere at once. As you develop more colonies, resource bases and settlements, you have to be able to keep them safe. Spend resources to recruit mercenaries and develop an AI controlled Strike Team that you can deploy to take on randomly generated, time-sensitive missions. Strike Team missions take many forms, including settlement defense and Remnant artifact recovery, which will take real-time to complete. Send your Strike Team out on a mission while you continue playing the main game and they will return, 20 – 30 minutes later, having gained rewards such as XP, currency and equipment based on the success of their mission. Spend money and resources to train your Strike Team and acquire better gear for them, which will increase their success rate and allow them to take on more difficult missions for greater rewards.

Active Strike Team Missions

When you encounter a Strike Team mission in the Single-Player mode, you can leave your Strike Team at their base and decide to tackle the mission yourself with your Multiplayer roster of characters. You also have the option of tackling the mission by yourself, or recruiting up to three friends to play with you. The more friends you bring, the greater the challenge and the greater the reward. These missions will play out using the Next Mass Effect’s multiplayer Horde mode (more details on this later). These missions will include a variety of thematically appropriate objectives, like defending a Settlement against Khet attacks, or recovering a Remnant artifact off of a planet before an outlaw gang gets there first. By taking an active role in strike team missions, you can earn special Single-player rewards in addition to the usual multiplayer specific characters, weapons, weapon mods, and pieces of equipment which can be customized between missions. Additionally, players who join another person’s Strike Team mission will receive bonus in-game currency and multiplayer XP for helping others with their missions.

Multiplayer “Horde” Mode

The next Mass Effect’s “Horde” multiplayer pits you and up to three of your friends against waves of enemy troops on various battlefields throughout the galaxy. Players fight together to survive increasingly difficult enemy attacks and accomplish objectives, like disabling a bomb near a colony base or assassinating a target. Progress through multiplayer missions to gain XP and earn new multiplayer specific weapons, characters, weapon mods, and pieces of equipment, which can be customized between matches. Multiplayer play will also earn you APEX funds (in-game currency), which can be used to purchase items and gear in the Single Player game.

Establish Settlements

Search solar systems for rare habitable planets to establish a settlement that could serve as a base for humankind’s new home in the Helius Cluster. As you build permanent settlements, you will make strategic choices on where to focus your new base’s resources. For example: Recon Settlements will clear fog of war from the space map and give the player more strike team missions to choose from, while Mining Settlements will periodically supplement the player’s supply of crafting materials.

Dialogue

Building upon the rich history of strategic dialogue that has defined the Mass Effect series, you can make meaningful choices in every conversation you have with characters that impact the way your game evolves. The next Mass Effect adds deeper control over your conversations through a greater ability to interrupt and change the course of the conversation as it is happening. During certain conversations, you will be able to take action based choices, such as the option to pull out your gun and force someone to open a door instead of convincing them to do it through conversational guile. Action based choices give you more options for how you approach dialogue with characters in the game and can lead to more extreme outcomes on the story as it evolves around the decisions you make when interacting with a huge cast of NPC characters.

Seamlessly Travel Through the Next Mass Effect Universe

As you pilot your space ship, Tempest, across the 100s of solar systems that are seamlessly connected in the next Mass Effect, you will encounter new planets filled with valuable resources, intelligent life, conflict, and alien technology that all give you opportunities to increase the power of your character, your ship and your team so that you can build them into a force that perfectly suits your gameplay style. Transitions between activities, like flying your Tempest (space ship) across a solar system to land on a mineral rich planet, then jumping into your Mako (land vehicle) to explore the surface of planet, all happen smoothly without loading screens.

Customize and Share Your Experience

Discover new things in Andromeda Galaxy, like alien artifacts and natural wonders, that serve as trophies and decorations that you can use to modify the look of your character, Tempest (Space Ship) and Mako (land vehicle). Customize the way your squad and your character look with clothes and aesthetic modifications that you unlock throughout the game. Photos you take from the far reaches of the galaxy can be used to decorate your starship or sold to certain characters.

Remnant Vault Raids: Find and activate Remnant Monoliths to unlock Remnant vaults. Explore abandoned Remnant ruins to find and locate a powerful artifact, but once you remove it you will trigger the vault defenses that will arm traps, activate defense robots and even change the architecture of the vault itself to stop you from escaping. Fight your way out of the vault and you will be rewarded with valuable loot, including powerful gear, crafting resources and Star Keys that can be used to unlock massive orbital facilities in space that grant permanent stat bonuses.

Optional Elite Remnant Vault Raids are scattered around the Helius Cluster located in special orbital facilities that are unlocked by Star Keys. Similar to the standard Remnant Vaults, you enter them to retrieve a special artifact which will trigger the vault defenses that arm traps, activate defense robots and change the architecture of the vault itself to stop you from escaping. However, Elite vaults ratchet up the difficulty of the encounter with increasingly powerful defense robots and traps, as well as roaming outlaws and deadly Khet patrols that are also in search of the elite artifacts. Elite Remnant vaults will test the limits of your combat and puzzle solving acumen, but with greater difficulty comes greater rewards. Gain rare loot, narrative acclaim and huge rewards for completing these daunting challenges.

Khet Outposts

As you explore planets throughout the Helius Cluster, you will encounter Khet Outposts. These outposts are optional combat experiences where you enter the outpost and fight off waves of enemies. Destroy Khet outposts to earn XP, rewards and thwart their growing power in the region. Your allies will reward you with praise and increased narrative options as you fight to remove the Khet presence from the region.

Drive and upgrade your Mako (land vehicle)

Explore the surfaces of 100s of planets in the Helius Cluster in your versatile land vehicle, the Mako. Whether you are looking for a place to set up a colony, searching for a Remnant vault or attacking a Khet Outpost, you will enjoy getting there in your Mako. Equip and upgrade your Mako in dozens of ways, like adding turbo boosters, upgrading your shield generator or adding a Hostile Detector to your radar to create the ultimate planetary exploration vehicle. Finally, get your Mako looking the way you want with a custom paintjob.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    This doesn't sound like something that I'd be immediately interested in. I want the game to take place in Citadel space, the world that was already created by BioWare and which needs more exploration without the Fear of bogeyman.
    That would be ideal but what do you do with the endings of 3 and Shephard. Gone are the days when Boware writers had the creativity to write that story.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; April 23, 2015 at 04:15 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Now actually having read through all of the leak, instead of a quick skim through like earlier, here are my thoughts:

Unfortunately, we are definitely playing as only another human. Bioware favors our species too much!

You are a pathfinder, a combat trained but un-tested explorer leading an expedition into the Helius cluster to establish a new home for humanity.
    What ending does that imply? I just finished my third ME series playthrough with the "perfect" (destroy) ending, and I distinctively remember Admiral Hacket saying they rebuilt (along with the catalyst). Or is that just in general (new home being just a big word just for more human expansion)? I am pretty sure the humans had colonies all over, if this is during Shepard's storyline. Did the Alliance just have a side expedition project going on, cause they knew they would need a new home? Cause I am pretty sure they all doubted Shepard and the Reaper threat until Game 3. If your expedition isn't being funded by the alliance then who the hell else is looking out for humanities interests? Only other one I can think of with that amount of funding are the Cerberus extremists, and I doubt you are affiliated with them.

I enjoyed (and still play) Mass Effects 3 multiplayer, so I am glad they are bringing it back. I like the sound of creating and deploying an AI strike team, however it sounds exactly like Inquisition's war room, albeit more detailed. It's nice that it sounds like you will be able to tackle those missions yourself (which I will definitely do). In Inquisition it was fairly boring, and honestly, I forgot about a lot of them. Around endgame they just took so long, I stopped checking regularly.

The no load screens sounds nice, I liked that in GTA 5. God knows Inquisition's load screens took centuries, at least for me.

For example: Recon Settlements will clear fog of war from the space map and give the player more strike team missions to choose from, while Mining Settlements will periodically supplement the player’s supply of crafting materials.
    Sounds exactly like how they described forts in Inquisition. I was fairly disappointed by the lack of customization of them in it, so I hope they do it better.

Overall though, my thoughts are it sounds really great, aside from some initial plot holes I can't fill. Sounds very open, and they are obviously using the open region system like Inquisition, and they are obviously also using refined Inquisition features. They did say at e3 2014 Inquisition would be the basis of the "next generation" of Bioware games... or something like that. Sounds like there will be a lot of minigames, which will reward you with cosmetics. I love cosmetics, so I think that is sufficient enough motivation for me to actually do those minigames. However, again, I hope they highly improve on inquisitions systems. I have high hopes, and I doubt I will be wholly disappointed by the game. I highly enjoyed Inquisition even with some minor gripes.

I will agree. This sounds like an Inquisition in space!

More thoughts on the story: If this game takes place during 3 I can see them sending that expedition out out of desperation. Though, I have gotta say those resources could have probably been better spent on the war effort. An operation of this magnitude...comon populating entire colonies and forming strike teams, in an uncharted galaxy?! Some pretty big plotholes as far as I am concerned. I am sure they will think of some to explain it..

Obviously they will have other species support and colony efforts reading:

For example, when a Krogan colony ship has been stolen by one of the outlaw factions leaving the colonists stranded without resources to survive, your Krogan squad mate, Drack, is determined to strike out against them. If you take the mission and help him track down the outlaws’ hideout to return the ship to its rightful owners
    So this is a multispecies expedition, not only human. At least I can think of where they found their funding. Also, lol Krogan colonies?! What if I didn't cure the genophage?! And if this takes place during one of the past games, they wouldn't be cured (yet) to begin with!

Are they going to do something like DA Keep with this? Some things choices seem like a big necessity story wise reading some of this.

Been pondering over this for about half an hour. Will think of more later..
    Last edited by SturmChurro; April 23, 2015 at 06:36 AM.

All plotholes are covered by Reaper/Remnant TechTM

How did the low tech races of the Milky Way manage to travel through intergalactic space? Reaper/Remnant Tech
    How can they face-off against the civilizations of a galaxy which had billions of year of uninterrupted technological evolution? Reaper/Remnant Tech
    How can the Krogans set up colonies? Reaper/Remnant Tech cured the genophage even if you didn't.
    Why is there an Anderson and Udina cameo when both are dead and why is the Krogan wearing a pink tutu? Reaper/Remnant Tech

Bioware has a MacGuffin the size of the Force on their hands. The question is how skillfully can they use it.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; April 23, 2015 at 01:13 PM.

Caelifer_1991's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Shuu View Post

How did the low tech races of the Milky Way manage to travel through intergalactic space? Reaper/Remnant Tech
    How can they face-off against the civilizations of a galaxy which had billions of year of uninterrupted technological evolution? Reaper/Remnant Tech
    How can the Krogans set up colonies? Reaper/Remnant Tech cured the genophage even if you didn't.
    Why is there an Anderson and Udina cameo when both are dead and why is the Krogan wearing a pink tutu? Reaper/Remnant Tech

Bioware has a MacGuffin the size of the Force on their hands. The question is how skillfully can they use it.
    Hah! It's like the 'God did it' argument, but they can do it because its their universe lol

I will probably still get the game, but this is a disappointing direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Shuu View Post

Nanomachines all over again...

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

I love how people jump to a bunch of conclusions and then are immediately disappointed in their own ideas about how they think the game will work.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

I really don't want to comment until the first strong trailers come up.

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    I love how people jump to a bunch of conclusions and then are immediately disappointed in their own ideas about how they think the game will work.
    This. This post covers all posts in the thread.

All we know is we're in a new galaxy. Gotten the hell out of Dodge.

There's actually an amusing analogy to God Emperor of Dune going on here if anybody can catch it...not sure if we're still obsessing over that idiotic webcomic and Bioware's inability to write anywhere near as well as Frank Herbert to catch the analogy though.
    Last edited by Gaidin; April 26, 2015 at 01:57 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Well considering i would want to be stay on the milky way because of its implications i think its fair to say that i can get disappointed

Though im not since i have absolutely the worst expectation to it ever since the release of ME3. So all is good. If they do actually make a good game it will be a pleasant surprise.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR