Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Middle Earth Strategikon ~60% Complete

FC Groningen's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [WIP] Strategy Guide: Economics(pending), Character Development (in progress - 85%), Tactics(pending), General Strategic Planning, and Diplomacy

Glad you are willing to spend so much time on the technical part of the game. I'll make sure to put a reference in my guide regarding your general tips.

Incomitatus's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: [WIP] Strategy Guide: Economics(pending), Character Development (in progress - 85%), Tactics(pending), General Strategic Planning, and Diplomacy

Quote Originally Posted by uddhava
    Good (re-)write. Keep it up! Looking forward to economy and tactics. How's the weather holding up
    Weather's nasty. Tomorrow it should clear up. I may still get some stuff done on the Guide tonight and tomorrow, but Friday I have to take a break and get marketing fliers put up for my real job.

I'll be back writing Saturday, and like I said, I'll probably do some tonight and if the weather's still bad tomorrow I'll do more.

I'm looking forward to Economy, too. Character Development is the most complicated part of the game (although Tactics probably gives it good challenge, but Tactics are fun, there will be lots of pictures and diagrams and chances to actually play the game to test things!) and I could write double what I've written, but I'm ready to be done and on to something else! Obviously it forms a huge part of Economics, on the whole, but the rest of Econ is simple in comparison.

Tactics is almost certainly going to have to be it's own thread. I might be able to fight Campaign Map Tactics in this thread, but I don't have room for Battlefield Tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by FC Groningen
    Glad you are willing to spend so much time on the technical part of the game. I'll make sure to put a reference in my guide regarding your general tips.
    The technical part of the game is the game!

I feel like most players have at least a rudimentary grasp of how to command their armies in battle, and the good players have a handle on the economics of building, but almost no one has a great grasp of Character Development... and yet between them the EDCT and EDA are two of the longest and most complicated files governing the game and their manipulation, or lack thereof, can have a major impact, especially when it comes to making money. A good Governor can double the the income of a settlement. If that settlement is far away and suffering from Corruption, a good Governor can triple or even quadruple the actual amount of revenue that makes it to the Treasury from that city. Even with its bonuses, the AI can't compete with that so as long as you have parity in the size of your Kingdom, or are even a little bit smaller: you can absolutely dominate the AI after 50-70 turns.

I perfectly understand if many players don't want to feel like they are playing SimMiddleEarth or an RPG occasionally interrupted by big battles, but for me, getting the most out of the game means taking advantage of all the richness and complexity that CA and the TATW devs put into it, and that means taking it slower and understanding how it works. It's also the case that I spent a lot of time playing factions in RTR that rapid expansion was very challenging, if not impossible, and learned to appreciate all the fine arts of defending against overwhelming odds. Playing Armenia in RTR Platinum was a bare-knuckle tutorial in holding the line. It was great!

It also means I have an unhealthy level of disdain for people who complain about how unfairly hard TATW supposedly is. Play Armenia on VH/H (VH battles were bugged in RTW) in RTR Platinum where you start with a fairly undeveloped two province Kingdom (which can be expanded to a whole FIVE provinces if you move fast), bleeding money from the start, relying upon the worst light infantry in the game (yes, you get Cataphracts and decent infantry, but not for a looong time), and quickly at war with Parthia and Pontus (each about the same size as you, so there's outnumbered 2:1... ) AND the Seleucid Empire (only the largest and most powerful faction with the best troops in the game, no problem... ). So yeah... I want to tell people, go play that and then come complain about how hard TATW is.

(And if you want a real challenge, play Numidia in RTR Platinum. It is/was regarded as impossible... I beat the game with them, twice, and I don't really consider myself that good of a player.)

In TATW there are no factions I consider that hard anymore. The first time I played Dale and didn't manage to get a ceasefire with Rhun, I got ground into a stalemate, but since then Dale is easy - just had to change my strategy. The first time I played Gondor I was losing when I restarted and tried something else... now I consider them fun, but fairly easy. The only factions in TATW that I play that I ever consider losing to be a possibility are in FRoGS: Lorien and Vale of Anduin.

• Lorien because it is so small and hemmed in, and poor, and right next door to the centre of OoTMM power base, which you can't aggressively go destroy because it's Moria. Yeah.
    • Vale of Anduin for the same reasons plus Shadow of Angmar (ie. Gundabad) really wants Framsburg and you are constantly fighting outnumbered to keep it. And if the chap who starts as Governor of Framsburg gets killed... you might as well throw in the towel because you just lost the only heavy cavalry you will have for a looooooong time. Actually, the way VoA is in FRoGS is deeply unbalanced. I've been 'fixing' them in my installation: making their units cheaper but also weaker, so they match the economy. It's made the battles harder but the war easier, if that makes sense.

So yeah. TATW, on the whole is easy. I'm trying to think of ways to actually make it harder in my installation that aren't just a massive ****ton of work.

(For an example of what someone should do to make it more realistic, I don't know about harder, is go in and fix the ridiculousness of every province having the same base farming level, there should be variation. And the granularity of how much each pip of BFL is worth can be adjusted in the descr_settlement_mechanics.xml so it can be really fine-tuned. But balancing all that would be a huge job and I'm not gonna do it, not now anyway.)

I'm done ranting now.
    Last edited by Incomitatus; October 25, 2012 at 01:07 AM.
    Homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto. - Terence

My M2:TW 4TPY Script, Adapted to Work With Hotseat.

Guides and Useful Posts of Mine
    Middle Earth Strategikon (M2:TW: TATW 3.2)(WIP: ~60% Complete)
    Advice on Playing as Gondor - Part I - Part II (M2:TW: TATW 3.2)
    Dirty Secret to Killing Trolls Fast and Easy (M2:TW: TATW)
    The Basics of Naval Engagements Part I - Part II (EMPIRE: DMUC)
    Roman Army Composition and Use (RTW: RTR Platinum)

Default Re: [WIP] Middle Earth Strategikon ~40% Complete

By the way, I mention in the Guide several times that CA left some trait triggers out they intended. I built those triggers for myself... though I have no idea what CA had exactly in mind. If anyone is interested in using my triggers, just paste the contents of the spoiler into the export_descr_character_traits.txt file, at the end:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Code:
    ;##############################################
    ;####### Incomitatus's Changes/Additions ######
    ;##############################################

;------------------------------------------
    Trigger i_farming1
        WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd

Condition EndedInSettlement
              and RemainingMPPercentage = 100
          and SettlementBuildingExists >= farms+2
              and Trait GoodFarmer < 1

Affects GoodFarmer 2 Chance 10

Trigger i_farming2   

and SettlementBuildingExists >= farms+2
             and Trait GoodFarmer >= 1

Affects GoodFarmer 1 Chance 5

Trigger i_trade1

and SettlementBuildingExists = market
              and Trait GoodTrader < 1

Affects GoodTrader 3 Chance 10

Trigger i_trade_perpetuating1

and SettlementBuildingExists >= corn_exchange
          and Trait GoodTrader >= 1

Affects GoodTrader 1 Chance 5

Trigger i_mines1

and SettlementBuildingExists >= mines

Affects GoodMiner 1 Chance 7

Pleiades's Avatar Biarchus

This is very sexy and supreme guide. Even I, master and longtime player of all TW games since before I was born (which was 20 or 30 years ago, I forgot), have learned not some things, but many things from your posts.

Now, where are those lazy moderators to put this as sticky? They always play TATW when we need them.
    There are no absolute truths. When your beliefs about the world and yourself change, so does your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Pleiades View Post
    This is very sexy and supreme guide. Even I, master and longtime player of all TW games since before I was born (which was 20 or 30 years ago, I forgot), have learned not some things, but many things from your posts.

Now, where are those lazy moderators to put this as sticky? They always play TATW when we need them.
    Thank you! I'm glad you learned some things.

As for the sticky... I actually asked for this not to be stickied until it is complete. However, The Norseman has very helpfully added a link to it in the Guide Compilation.

EVERYONE UPDATE: WHAT A FREAKING LOAD OF ELEPHANT REFUSE THIS GOD-FORSAKEN TEXT EDITOR IS THEY USE ON THIS FORUM!!!!! I thought I'd have myself a nice glass of whiskey while sitting by the fire and I'd work on this on my laptop. I opened up a couple of the posts I needed to edit or add to in Chrome, and it SCREWED UP ALL THE FORMATTING, adding blank lines, moving a bunch of text to centre justified, and adding in spoilers that were totally uncessary and generally making a dog's breakfast of the whole thing. Please excuse the mess while I fix it all. Done, it's not perfect, but it's readable again and I think I've squashed all the extra spoilers. Learned my lesson, stick with Firefox.

Also, details on the trait Prim have been corrected: the trigger says Followers of Melkor can get it, but the trait entry itself restricts it from Eastern European cultures. What this means is, Generals from Rhun and Harad can be Prim, but Orcs of the Misty Mountains, Orcs of Gundabad, Mordor, and Isengard are out of luck.
    Last edited by Incomitatus; October 26, 2012 at 01:01 AM.

Default Re: [WIP] Strategy Guide: Economics, Character Development, Tactics, General Strategic Planning

Well, this has been most helpful so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Incomitatus View Post

• Narya, Nenya, Vilya, and the Ring of Barahir all give -1% Construction Cost among many other useful things. If the character who carries any of these Rings is going to be an Architect that's great, otherwise, don't worry about them. Their other effects fully justify not giving them to your Architect. Note that the Rings are transferable, but you cannot combine any of these Rings on the same character.
    I cannot stop wondering where one can find all these precious, precious rings! I acquired Nenya in Ost-in-Edhil! And why are the four and not Three and what about the Nine and the Seven? (Maybe I should go to bed...)

Default Re: [WIP] Strategy Guide: Economics, Character Development, Tactics, General Strategic Planning

Quote Originally Posted by Zharkov View Post
    Well, this has been most helpful so far!

I cannot stop wondering where one can find all these precious, precious rings! I acquired Nenya in Ost-in-Edhil! And why are the four and not Three and what about the Nine and the Seven? (Maybe I should go to bed...)
    Gandalf, Elrond, and Celeborn start with the Three. You can only acquire them if one or another of those characters has died an unnatural death (if it's a natural death the ring goes to their child, if they have one).

The Ring of Barahir isn't a magic ring, it's an heirloom of the Dunedain. Sitting around in Amon Sul will grant it.

UPDATE: Post #3 updated with a section on how to read the EDCT and EDA.

MAJOR UPDATE!: PART III IS DONE!!! WOOOOO! Sound the trumpets! Read the entrails! Have a stiff drink! WOOOOOO!

It is so long, I really can't add anything to it without serious editing due to the character limits on posts. If anyone feels anything is missing, let me know... but it would have to be really important for me to add it in. I'm not saying there isn't anything that would meet that threshold, I'm just saying I might not be as responsive to suggestions as normal. Apologies in advance.

Feedback is always welcome (hint, hint).
    Last edited by Incomitatus; October 27, 2012 at 04:18 AM.

Libertus

Default Re: [WIP] Middle Earth Strategikon ~60% Complete

Hey,

Looking great again. For a noob as myself it's somewhat overwhelming because lots of it is new to me but the whole guide so far is written clearly. I wil definitly give the different governers a try!

Uddhava

Quote Originally Posted by uddhava View Post
    Hey,

Looking great again. For a noob as myself it's somewhat overwhelming because lots of it is new to me but the whole guide so far is written clearly. I wil definitly give the different governers a try!

Uddhava
    That's what I'm worried about. The Character Develoment and management aspects of the game aren't any more complicated than battlefield tactics, but they are more 'game-y' and less intuitive, so they take a lot more writing to explain. I mean, when I do Tactics, there will be more diagrams and pictures, less words, I hope.

Libertus

That's what I'm worried about.
    Well I wouldn't worry too much. It's a lot of info but not necessarily difficult (the way you explain it). And you cannot cater to every crowd, besides with everything being so complicated it's hardly possible too make it any simpler. I'm just gonna print the whole lot when it's done so I have it handy while playing.

Uddhava

Pleiades's Avatar Biarchus

Your guide is clearly for advanced players who played at least 5 or 10 full campaigns of both MTW2 and TATW and that is ok. Otherwise it is overwhelming. You can always direct people to links with more basic guides and state that this is guide for advanced players. If you want all-inclusive comprehensive guide, how about write .pdf book with at least 100 pages and then publish it and print it and take some money for it?

Also have in mind that many younger people play TATW as their first MTW2 game ever and that they practically do not even know what is MTW2. As example, after 50 or 300 campaigns in series of TW games, I personally can perfectly understand that "Armenia thing in RTR". As 1st time TATW player where can you find that Armenia and what is RTR anyway?

Then you have perfectly legitimate question for me - "if they know how to install TATW, then surely they must know basics of MTW2?" Not necessarily - many of them have older brothers and sisters who just delivered them on home computers already installed TATW as is.
    There are no absolute truths. When your beliefs about the world and yourself change, so does your experience.

I'm just gonna print the whole lot when it's done so I have it handy while playing.
    You might want to reconsider that when you see my reply to Pleiades...

[quote=Pleiades]If you want all-inclusive comprehensive guide, how about write .pdf book with at least 100 pages and then publish it and print it and take some money for it?

Hahahahaha! I really did crack up laughing at this suggestion, not because it is silly but because at it's current length, what is already written is 169 pages in manuscript format! And I still have a lot to do!

(See, Uddhava? It may be a good guide, but is it really worth a whole ink cartridge? )

Also have in mind that many younger people play TATW as their first MTW2 game ever and that they practically do not even know what is MTW2. As example, after 50 or 300 campaigns in series of TW games, I personally can perfectly understand that "Armenia thing in RTR". As 1st time TATW player where can you find that Armenia and what is RTR anyway?
    Yeah, I've thought about linking people to the RTR forums, but... RTR Platinum, for as fun as it could be, had some serious balance and gameplay issues - I did a huge overhaul on it for myself once (got it darn near perfect then my harddrive died and I've just never had the gumption to do it again... took me three weeks when I had nothing else to do). The mod team had a bunch of problems and scandals then and released RTR 7 but with a more limited scope, etc etc... And besides which, as you allude to, how many readers of this guide will have RTW?

And those of us who do have RTW have probably already played either RTR or Europa Barbarorum (or SPQR), so it's all old hat!

Libertus

[QUOTE=Incomitatus;12173392]You might want to reconsider that when you see my reply to Pleiades...

Quote Originally Posted by Pleiades
    If you want all-inclusive comprehensive guide, how about write .pdf book with at least 100 pages and then publish it and print it and take some money for it?

Hahahahaha! I really did crack up laughing at this suggestion, not because it is silly but because at it's current length, what is already written is 169 pages in manuscript format! And I still have a lot to do!

(See, Uddhava? It may be a good guide, but is it really worth a whole ink cartridge? )
    I must admit I didn't realize that. As I have a widescreen monitor they still seem harmless little posts . Well I can start out with some of the stuff, and expand later. If I ever print it all i'll let you knowhow many pages it was.
    Edit: i just copied the whole lot into a word-document (yes I opened all the spoilers first , well except the ones with the scripting) and it amounted to a nice 56 pages. So that seems doable.
    Last edited by uddhava; October 28, 2012 at 01:42 PM.

[QUOTE=uddhava;12173606]
    You might want to reconsider that when you see my reply to Pleiades...

I must admit I didn't realize that. As I have a widescreen monitor they still seem harmless little posts . Well I can start out with some of the stuff, and expand later. If I ever print it all i'll let you knowhow many pages it was.
    Edit: i just copied the whole lot into a word-document (yes I opened all the spoilers first , well except the ones with the scripting) and it amounted to a nice 56 pages. So that seems doable.
    Yeah, if it's single-spaced text it's not too bad. My number is manuscript format, ie. Courier New font, 1" margins all around, and double-spaced. If it gets up to 300 pages in that format, which is probably will, it will be size of a standard novel.

This is actually quite exciting to me... as I've been hoping to someday write a novel for years, but keep getting put off by my expectation of the time and effort involved. I wouldn't say working on this guide is easy, but it's not that hard. Granted, writing fiction would be different, but it is encouraging all the same.

Libertus

[QUOTE=Incomitatus;12173721]

Yeah, if it's single-spaced text it's not too bad. My number is manuscript format, ie. Courier New font, 1" margins all around, and double-spaced. If it gets up to 300 pages in that format, which is probably will, it will be size of a standard novel.

This is actually quite exciting to me... as I've been hoping to someday write a novel for years, but keep getting put off by my expectation of the time and effort involved. I wouldn't say working on this guide is easy, but it's not that hard. Granted, writing fiction would be different, but it is encouraging all the same.
    Well you're not there yet . The last 20% always takes 80% effort! But yeah, that is encouraging considering how fast you put all of this up AND managed to make it fun to read. So I will be looking forward to your first 'real' effort. I'll volunteer for proofreading if needed .

Well you're not there yet . The last 20% always takes 80% effort! But yeah, that is encouraging considering how fast you put all of this up AND managed to make it fun to read. So I will be looking forward to your first 'real' effort. I'll volunteer for proofreading if needed .
    Gah, isn't that the truth? Although, in most things, I find most of my effort needs to go into the first 10% or so... once I get going, I'm usually okay, as long as I don't run out of tea or whiskey (the tea for during the writing, the whiskey for winding down after... otherwise things could be more interesting).

By they way, UPDATE: small note on Ancillaries added to the end of Post #4 (how to use the console to remove them). Also, Index in Post 1 updated.

UPDATE: I was hoping to get the next Part done, but I've had my eyes glued to the BBC coverage of Hurricane Sandy instead. This distraction is likely to continue today as I have friends and family in the path of the storm (I'm not, I'm on the other side of the country!). They've all taken the necessary precautions and should be fine, but I'm a worrier, so focusing on writing is out of the question for now. I apologize.
    Last edited by Incomitatus; October 29, 2012 at 12:02 PM.

Thank you very much, I learned (or was reminded of) a lot of things.
    In short: AMAZING work.

And your previous works too: yes I checked your RTR link, because I was a LOVER of RTR6. Before TATW it is probably what I enjoyed much in the entire Total War galaxy, and I have played Total War games since the release of the first Shogun.

Very good guide!

There are some triggers that only triggers when you have 100% move left, isn't it? Maybe I missed it in your guide, but do you have to have 100% move left when a building completes? And which triggers don't you need 100% move left to trigger?
    A friend of mine and I have made this game:
    http://apps.facebook.com/presidencygame/
    Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by divad
    Thank you very much, I learned (or was reminded of) a lot of things.
    In short: AMAZING work.
    Thank you! Keep your eyes open, there's more to come!

You might like to know that ExRM (Extended Realism submod for RTR Platinum) has their latest (and probably final) version in a public beta release right now. I intend to check it out if/when this is done and I have time.

Quote Originally Posted by magicgunner
    There are some triggers that only triggers when you have 100% move left, isn't it? Maybe I missed it in your guide, but do you have to have 100% move left when a building completes? And which triggers don't you need 100% move left to trigger?
    Thanks and good catch... I may need to revise for clarity on that. Yes, there are some triggers that require 100% movement left, but the building completed ones do not. The 100% movement left triggers are the ones that involve 'sitting around' somewhere, whether in town or in foreign lands, etc.

You can set everything up so that you can go to three consecutive towns and finish three buildings for the triggers all in three turns, no problem.

I wish I had more time to read this, but I have a physics test soon, but anyways!

If you expand to the East, which is probably a good idea, you will have to fight Rhun, as they will seize Kugavod on the first turn. You will need to take enough men to fight a good Rhun army in the field, conduct a siege, and survive a potential counter-attack. You will then need a pretty constant stream of men moving to the fords to keep them guarded. The income and security is probably worth the hassle and expense, though.
    I am not sure how it is in FroGS, but in the vanilla version if you capture Kugaovd the dwarves will never help you against Rhun and you will have to fight both in the north east as well as the south east of the sea of Rhun. If the dwarves are not bordering any enemies then they will see no use in sending down any troops to fight against Rhun. If you avoid capturing Kugaovd the dwarves will most likely send down troops after a while and capture it. That will allow you to focus on Rhun`s regions south of the sea of Rhun. Rhun will then use a good deal of men to try to fight back against the dwarves, atleast that is what happened in my Dale campaign 3 times. All of the campaigns where they tried to take back Kugaovd, they were actually unable to do it in all three, and in two of the campaigns the dwarves even captured the city some clicks east. I just thought you might add that, because the player should know that there are advantages(easy defending, more income) and disadvantages(Dwarves will not help, constant stream of units needed, forces of Rhun will be coming from both north and south of the Rhun sea) to capturing Kugaovd.

I will try to find myself some time to read on tuesday, by then I will have quite more spare time!
    Last edited by The Norseman; October 30, 2012 at 04:24 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast