Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sparta vs Rome

Hamilicar's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Sparta vs Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Axeface View Post
    Strange, reading this. I was going to start a new campaign and wanted to try the spartans, so I was testing units with custom battles to get to grips with them.
    I set small battles against a single polybian cohort, and tested each spartan unit going toe-to-toe with them. Not a single spartan unit could win against a single measly polybian cohort.

Not even Promachoi which have an upkeep of like 3000 denarii?
    In war its hardly single unit vs single unit. However I have had promachoi defeat multiple units of Polybians and slow down a couple early praetorians. The trick is to out manouver them with armies I defeat the Romans when I am outnumbered Strategically and Locally on the battlefield by out manouvering them and using Hannibalesque tactics.

@Roarer

That may be however he never ruled it out and he is thinking of using Bastarne and art and he was just asking for tips.

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

My very first RS2 campaign in 2.0 was Sparta and i was able to fight Polybians well enough. I cant recall exactly and they are indeed tough but standard hammer and anvil tactics should do the trick. If i have proceeded trough the campaign i probably would have preferred to fight them in open battles than i cities ( i also did this in my Carthaginian campaign) so i can fully explore the toughness of the phalanx and my superior cavalry. It was an M battles but i believe i could do the same in H. VH is said to be bugged so i see no reason to play in VH.
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Bcman's Avatar Senator

I think most of the advanced spartan units like the spartan hoplites could deal with ploybians relitivly easily but when the Romans hit that reform they come with a wild Vegemite and several thousand legionarys at there desposial.
    Bye day the banished sun circles the earth like a grieving mother with a lamp- The Road

Quote Originally Posted by bcman3 View Post
    I think most of the advanced spartan units like the spartan hoplites could deal with ploybians relitivly easily but when the Romans hit that reform they come with a wild Vegemite and several thousand legionarys at there desposial.
    Nah man, it's all about phalangites.

Bcman's Avatar Senator

That what I Ment Because if u send some of the more "bad" Spartans then u get owned but a mix of hoplites heavy phalanxes and those really good Spartans that cost a lot of money then u can destroy a legion
    Bye day the banished sun circles the earth like a grieving mother with a lamp- The Road

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12