• I am from another part of the UK - Yes

32 4.97%
  • I am from another part of the UK - No

115 17.86%
  • I am from outside the UK - Yes

260 40.37%
  • I am from outside the UK - No

196 30.43%
Page 95 of 331 FirstFirst ... 4570858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105120145195 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 6616

Thread: Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Default Re: Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

It would have been rather difficult to define how "Scottish history" haven not been taught in Scottish schools when this history is integrated within British history itself.

In any case I can't see how this "Scottish studies"-"Scottish history" will affect this referendum.

It is too late for the nationalists to emphasize on things that distinguish Scotland from the rest of UK.
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Quote Originally Posted by neoptolemos View Post
    It would have been rather difficult to define how "Scottish history" haven not been taught in Scottish schools when this history is integrated within British history itself.
    A point I have already made.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    I am questioning how "your experience" amounts to the history of the Scottish education system.
    It amounts to a perfectly good account of the Scottish education system from the start of the 21st Century until last year. As I have already said, I am not arguing Selder's side here, I am just presenting you with the facts. Until the recent changes that only came into effect this year, Scottish history was taught as piecemeal modules within the subject of history, frequently within modules about British history. As of the new system, there will be a thread of 'Scottish studies' throughout various subjects within the curriculum that will include a more detailed and coherent structure of Scottish history that will bring different schools more into line. Perhaps by 'recently' Selder means 50-100 years ago, but that is not my concern. I'm giving you an account of the system that was in place from the 90s up until last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    It amounts to a perfectly good account of the Scottish education system from the start of the 21st Century until last year.
    Which would be a minute proportion of the time we're talking about. How are you not getting this?

Christ you even admit in your post that Scottish history has been taught before. Do you even know what the original claim was?

selder's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54
    Then report me.
    Why would I have to do that when my purpose was to simply remind you of the ToS?

Do you even know what the original claim was?
    The original claim was in response to a post that stated...
    I've always considered England and Scotland as one country
    so you see, I was simply suggesting that it is not surprising that people would feel that way as history is taught as General History. Their is no Scottish history subject, until the proposal of Scottish studies that is, which just happend recently. I still can't see how this is hard to follow. But like I said I think this has more to do with trying to derail the thread than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II
    Scottish history was taught as piecemeal modules within the subject of history
    indisputable
    In the garb of old Gaul, with the fire of old Rome,
    From the heath-covered mountains of Scotia we come;
    Our loud-sounding pipe breathes the true martial strain,
    And our hearts still the old Scottish valour retain.

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Quote Originally Posted by selder View Post
    indisputable
    So?
    That means that in a highly integrated Scotland within UK, British history had more value than the Scottish but nevertheless the system provided the option of learning bits of Scottish history.

Besides you did have educational excursions to historical sites, castles, monuments etc didn't you?

That's fair if you ask me but having Scottish studies as an optional module in education is again something i agree with.

Now if there was an attempt in the past of indoctrination about "Britishness" over "Scottishness" i can't tell but i regard it highly improbable to be honest.
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

The original claim was in response to a post that stated...
    Don't lie about what you have posted and can be seen by everybody. You said:

Scottish history has not been taught in school until very recently. Neither was Scottish literature for that matter
    This statement was an outright lie, and representative of the victim mentality of nationalists, regardless of the facts.

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Scotland stands to win a lot in terms of economic growth if it goes independent since it has a lot of resources to exploit and it can bring a big income in relation to it`s 5.2 million population.An independent Scotland wouldn`t suffer any significant economic backlash if at all since it goesn`t without saying that they will at least be part of EU(NATO maybe if they so desire) so no border checks or taxes on imported and exported goods.

Ha, because the resources aren't being exploited now? Silly post.

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Ha, because the resources aren't being exploited now? Silly post.
    it can bring a big income in relation to it`s 5.2 million population
    Silly post.

And... what about independence would suddenly make these people work harder? Are you aware that UK oil production has been declining for years and will continue to do so?

selder's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by neoptolemos
    Only if you think I was referring to subject material, but in fact I was referring to a course. As in an entire History class devoted to Scottish History. My point was that if people are taught British history as if Britain were one country then it is not surprising that they may feel Britain is one whole country, when in fact it is an island with several separate countries that are united by a political union. Which is what I meant when I made the original post. I have no problem with each country devoting an entire History class/course/subject to its individual history as each country has been independent longer than they have been in union.

can be seen by everybody
    Thats right it can, so no need for you to try and quantify it. Considering I went on to further explain that I meant specifically. So it would seem you are arguing semantics.

This statement was an outright lie
    Such melodrama.

and representative of the victim mentality of nationalists, regardless of the facts.
    How can the post of one man represent the mentality of the entire group? Don't forget that unionists are nationalists as well...they just live in a different nation.

The Great Montrose's Avatar Senator

Don't forget that unionists are nationalists as well...they just live in a different nation.
    A point I have made on many occasions but they seem to ignore it and continue insulting Scottish nationalism.
    the dream will never die

Robert Wishart, Bishop of Glasgow, 'the kingdom of Scotland is not held in tribute or homage to anyone save God alone.' - 1290.

Only if you think I was referring to subject material, but in fact I was referring to a course. As in an entire History class devoted to Scottish History. My point was that if people are taught British history as if Britain were one country then it is not surprising that they may feel Britain is one whole country, when in fact it is an island with several separate countries that are united by a political union. Which is what I meant when I made the original post. I have no problem with each country devoting an entire History class/course/subject to its individual history as each country has been independent longer than they have been in union.

Thats right it can, so no need for you to try and quantify it. Considering I went on to further explain that I meant specifically. So it would seem you are arguing semantics.

Such melodrama.

How can the post of one man represent the mentality of the entire group? Don't forget that unionists are nationalists as well...they just live in a different nation.
    Your evasion is pathetic, Selder. You could not have stated more explicitly what you stated: that Scottish history and literature was not taught until recently. You lied. And it seems you will not yet have the courage to admit it, but instead choose to pin your argument on independence on such lies.

Which is the crux of why this referendum is doomed to failure.

selder's Avatar Senator

Your evasion is pathetic, Selder.
    If I were trying to evade, I would have simply refrained from commenting. I instead chose to clarify what I meant, and as you have already pointed out my posts are there for anyone to read. You can drop the aggressive attitude and pretending to be able to read my mind act and read what I have posted instead.

You could not have stated more explicitly what you stated: that Scottish history and literature was not taught until recently.
    And I stand by that. Scottish history is not a class or course taught in school, instead British history is taught. I also stand by my point that Scottish literature is not taught, instead British/English literature is taught. So I really don't know how I can be any more clear about what I meant and what I was saying. If you choose to interpret it another way, then that is not my problem.

You lied. And it seems you will not yet have the courage to admit it
    You have said that repeatedly, but the fact still remains that it is you who have misinterpreted what I was saying and I have already clarified it. The fault lies in reason not in morality.

but instead choose to pin your argument on independence on such lies.
    This can not be serious, the argument for Scottish independence is self-determination. Not some trivial argument about semantics.

Which is the crux of why this referendum is doomed to failure.
    As has already been pointed out, either way this referendum goes Scotland has already won. We will gain more and more autonomy, inch by inch we will claw our way out of this primordial hole that some have become so fond of. I would hardly call that failure, more like progress. Their is a reason that one by one, the Empire cookie did crumble, because it was stale and moldy just like the arguments that support it.
    Last edited by selder; March 05, 2013 at 07:38 PM.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Why does there need to be a Scottish history class? There was never a Pennsylvanian history class when I went to school and you don't see me complaining.

And I stand by that. Scottish history is not a class or course taught in school
    More lies. You explicitly stated Scottish history and literature was not taught at all until recently, not a class devoted to it. Stop lying please, the horse has bolted, and the more you drag this through the mud the more people see that you lied.

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by ☩Lord Inquisitor Derpy Hooves☩ View Post
    Why does there need to be a Scottish history class? There was never a Pennsylvanian history class when I went to school and you don't see me complaining.
    Because the national curriculum is apparently viewed as a political tool by Scottish Nationalists
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Selder, you obviously don't believe in teaching for its own sake, rather everything should have a nationalist and political spin on it. Scotland is part of the island of Britain. You cannot properly study Scottish history without an awareness of the context. That context is Britain. For example, there is no point learning about David I without learning about Henry I, because he was essentially an English proxy who fought against other people within Scotland to take the throne. The current Highers course does teach David I alongside Henry I, as it should. Actually understanding history should not be corrupted by nationalist preoccupations of how that history is labelled.

I also stand by my point that Scottish literature is not taught, instead British/English literature is taught.
    There is a distinction between works in the English language (i.e. everything you would study at school) and works that have a direct relationship to a nation. Everyone studies Shakespeare. I said in my last post that this is the case because of the huge literary importance of the works. The content of Shakespeare does not have any particular national bearing (indeed, Macbeth, one of the most studied, is in Scotland, though as with most of his plays that aren not histories, the setting is secondary). My point is that in this case, the national context is not really a factor at all in determining whether it is a valuable piece of literature to study; Shakespeare would be studied regardless of where he was from assuming the works were still in the English language. In France, they might study Moliere or Voltaire. Regardless of what national messages are contained within these works (or not) this is obviously done because the works are in French, the language of study. I studied Jekyll and Hyde at school, which is by Stevenson, a Scottish author. It is entirely false to say that Scottish authors are neglected.

You may be meaning that literature with an underlying Scottish sentiment should be taught (some Burns or Scott perhaps, though I would be surprised if it isn’t already studied), but in that case, you are wrong to say that English literature is taught, when Scottish is not, when the ‘English’ literature that is taught is not done so for any nationalistic purposes as it is - just as the work of various Scottish authors is already studied.
    Last edited by Colossus; March 06, 2013 at 09:11 AM.

The Great Montrose's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by ☩Lord Inquisitor Derpy Hooves☩ View Post
    Scotland is a country, we dont learn enough about our own history therefore we should learn more.
    the dream will never die

Robert Wishart, Bishop of Glasgow, 'the kingdom of Scotland is not held in tribute or homage to anyone save God alone.' - 1290.