• I am from outside the UK - Yes

260 40.37%
  • I am from outside the UK - No

196 30.43%
Page 9 of 331 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459109 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

Default Re: Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Lazzeer View Post
    I should also state that I am personally fully in favour of devolving more powers to Scotland in order to make the Scottish government more financially accountable and stop Holyrood from being able to simply blame everything on Westminster.
    That actually makes a lot of sense. It's much easier to cover your own problems by blaming someone else than taking responsibility for them yourself. Make it harder for them to blame someone else, and you can hold their feet to the fire.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Lazzeer's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Why, do you think that everyone who goes to such a university is from a high social background?
    No, but he's clearly trying to score points through anti-Etonism. Of course it also opens up the further question of why being from a well off family excludes a person from governance.

It's a cheap shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytaninc View Post
    That actually makes a lot of sense. It's much easier to cover your own problems by blaming someone else than taking responsibility for them yourself. Make it harder for them to blame someone else, and you can hold their feet to the fire.
    Exactly. All Holyrood does is spend, and if there's not enough money for anything, hell, that's Westminsters fault! Whereas the other parties are stigmatised by also being represented by Westminster and having to make tough decisions related to spending Scotland, the SNP has never been in a Westminster government.

Of course financial accountability doesn't require independence, but Scotland definitely needs more powers.
    Last edited by Lazzeer; October 20, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
    As far as I can tell, your entire enterprise is little more than a solitary man with a messy apartment which may or may not contain a chicken.

It's all fun and games until people start getting eaten

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

In other news: An independence party became the biggest in Curaçao.

Seperatism is back, how silly.
    Miss me yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Jurisprudence Tom Cruise View Post
    IF THEY ARE OLD ENOUGH TO BLEED ON FOREIGN BATTLEFIELDS AND CARRY A GUN THEY SHOULD VOTE
    Time for Scots men to stand up and have their own country..

16 year olds are not sent on active deployments. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...es#Recruitment

Haha.

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Lazzeer View Post
    Personally I'm in favour of the 2 question paper - it keeps the question simple. Devo Max was poorly/not at all defined and simply serves to muddy the water. This referendum is simply about independence. Further devolution is still on the table and can be dealt with post referendum. I should also state that I am personally fully in favour of devolving more powers to Scotland in order to make the Scottish government more financially accountable and stop Holyrood from being able to simply blame everything on Westminster.

To add to that, Devo Max and greater moves towards Federalism represent a UK-wide issue that will need to be dealt with on a more UK-wide basis, not just in Scotland.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Spitfire -WONDERBOLT!'s Avatar Vicarius
    Canterlot Castle, City of Canterlot, Equestria.

If we leave the U.K. there will be mass exodus, also I seriously doubts ANY of the Scottish Forces members (That is to say the Royal Regiment Of Scotland)will reamin IN Scotland if it leaves, I mean I'll stay, but by god will I give those bastards hell.
    GIVE CREDIT TO YOUR ENEMY AND LITTLE TO YOURSELF, AS IT MAKES YOUR VICTORY ALL THE GREATER!
    -Under the influence of medically prescribed drugs, please take much salt with this post, you have been warned!

Gatsby's Avatar Punctual Romantic

Quote Originally Posted by Azog 150 View Post
    To add to that, Devo Max and greater moves towards Federalism represent a UK-wide issue that will need to be dealt with on a more UK-wide basis, not just in Scotland.
    True, its a shame that I've yet to hear any noise being made by the party leaders about federalisation in England.
    You'll have more fun at a Glasgow stabbing than an Edinburgh wedding.

Under the patronage of the mighty Dante von Hespburg

That's because nobody has that as their policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    That's because nobody has that as their policy.
    And thats what I find to be a shame.

Why?

Why?
    Because it seems odd to have devolved parliaments for Scotlands, Wales and NI; whilst England still operates solely through the UK Parliament.

I dont see why England should be left with it's only governmental body being shared with everyone else whilst everybody else has their own parliament.
    Last edited by Gatsby; October 21, 2012 at 10:22 AM.

It does seem unbalanced. But the truth is there's no real desire for an English Parliament.

It does seem unbalanced. But the truth is there's no real desire for an English Parliament.
    It is odd how apathetic the English public seem to be on the matter, its certainly not how I would feel if I was living in England.

Anyway, I suppose if there is no want, the need really isn't there for now.
    Last edited by Gatsby; October 21, 2012 at 10:26 AM.

I don't think it's apathy, I think it's a simple decision. The UK Parliament is in London, the vast majority of England have no qualms with that being the representative body and setting up and running an English Parliament would provide nothing but additional cost.

Spitfire -WONDERBOLT!'s Avatar Vicarius
    Canterlot Castle, City of Canterlot, Equestria.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
    It is odd how apathetic the English public seem to be on the matter, its certainly not how I would feel if I was living in England.
    Well if it wasn't for the fact that Mr Cameron was the first prime minister for 20 years not to be Scottish, it would be almost Tyrannical. Not the split of England from Westminster will be an area one, London, Manchester, Essex, and will come from the devolved parliaments rather than England itself.

Well that or to make Westminster the English one, and to set up a U.K. Council of the Key Members of each parliament and a set number of reps from each, of equal number.
    Last edited by Spitfire -WONDERBOLT!; October 21, 2012 at 10:33 AM.
    GIVE CREDIT TO YOUR ENEMY AND LITTLE TO YOURSELF, AS IT MAKES YOUR VICTORY ALL THE GREATER!
    -Under the influence of medically prescribed drugs, please take much salt with this post, you have been warned!

I'll be voting 'No'. I am Scottish from Aberdeenshire.

I can vote for a Scottish Government, support a Scottish rugby/football team, join a Scottish regiment in the Army, be tried under Scots law, have my children educated under a Scottish curriculum and go to a Scottish NHS hospital.

I can do all that while being a member of the 7th largest economy on earth, a leading member of the G7, G8, G20, WTO, NATO, a member of the UN Security Council and one of the leading, social, economic, cultural, military and political powers on earth.

I cannot see anything so bad with the current situation that would convince me to vote for independence.

Well, Rootsie, as much as I'm a descendant of Highland Scots, and an American, I hope most of the people in Scotland think the same way as you.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rootsie View Post
    I'll be voting 'No'. I am Scottish from Aberdeenshire.

I can vote for a Scottish Government, support a Scottish rugby/football team, join a Scottish regiment in the Army, be tried under Scots law, have my children educated under a Scottish curriculum and go to a Scottish NHS hospital.

I can do all that while being a member of the 7th largest economy on earth, a leading member of the G7, G8, G20, WTO, NATO, a member of the UN Security Council and one of the leading, social, economic, cultural, military and political powers on earth.

I cannot see anything so bad with the current situation that would convince me to vote for independence.
    In the context of the age question of the referendum, how old are you?

Indefinitely Banned

The Scots do not deserve the love shown by the English.