• I am from another part of the UK - Yes

32 4.97%
  • I am from another part of the UK - No

115 17.86%
  • I am from outside the UK - Yes

260 40.37%
  • I am from outside the UK - No

196 30.43%
Page 88 of 331 FirstFirst ... 3863787980818283848586878889909192939495969798113138188 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 6616

Thread: Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Default Re: Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by selder View Post
    Its hard to create a strong economy/market when you don't have the power to do just that, you must have the power to make economic decisions like trade agreements and setting tax rates. Which is one reason why Scotland needs full access to the economic and financial levers of government so that we can boost growth, recovery and jobs. We are building the economy the best we can with the current powers we have and the education programs should start to pay off in the coming years.

We currently have a GDP of about £124 billion not including oil. That is $192 billion which puts Scotland at the same level as a countries like Hungry or the Czech Republic but with half the population. I would say that qualifies as decent and it will get better when we have more control over it. The latest figures show that Scotland is the only area of the UK outside London to record growth in our Gross Value Added economic output between 2007 and 2010. “And among the 12 nations and regions of the UK, Scotland is the third most prosperous in terms of output per head – behind only London and the South East of England." SOURCE
    Lol, using the Scotland Herald.

Its hard to create a strong economy/market when you don't have the power to do just that, you must have the power to make economic decisions like trade agreements and setting tax rates. Which is one reason why Scotland needs full access to the economic and financial levers of government so that we can boost growth, recovery and jobs. We are building the economy the best we can with the current powers we have and the education programs should start to pay off in the coming years.

We currently have a GDP of about £124 billion not including oil. That is $192 billion which puts Scotland at the same level as a countries like Hungry or the Czech Republic but with half the population. I would say that qualifies as decent and it will get better when we have more control over it. The latest figures show that Scotland is the only area of the UK outside London to record growth in our Gross Value Added economic output between 2007 and 2010. “And among the 12 nations and regions of the UK, Scotland is the third most prosperous in terms of output per head – behind only London and the South East of England." SOURCE
    But insufficient to fund its social welfare programs, which is bringing it into the red every year. Thus drifting even further to the left upon independence would be a disaster.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

I hope that Scotland and England would become independent countries with our own separate governments that work closely together yet remain autonomous of each other, maybe forge some sort of mutual cooperation agreement. Have open trade and keep our cultural and historical ties, work closely on defense/military issues but at the same time be respectful of each others differences after all this shouldn't be about mutually assured destruction. But then again I am a bit of an optimist and many unionists do remind me that the rest of the UK would not want anything to do with an independent Scotland so who knows.
    How this would be anything but a dilution of the current situation I cannot see.

selder's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by ☩Lord Inquisitor Derpy Hooves☩ View Post
    Lol, using the Scotland Herald.
    yes and so? Do you challenge the validity of the quote?

Quote Originally Posted by Future Filmmaker
    which is bringing it into the red every year
    Do you have a source for that? I would love to see it if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54
    How this would be anything but a dilution of the current situation I cannot see.
    Not a dilution an improvement.
    In the garb of old Gaul, with the fire of old Rome,
    From the heath-covered mountains of Scotia we come;
    Our loud-sounding pipe breathes the true martial strain,
    And our hearts still the old Scottish valour retain.

How? You just said you want everything you currently have, except less of it.

The Great Montrose's Avatar Senator

ferrets you seem to have ignored neo's post about Bond could you please answer it?
    the dream will never die

Robert Wishart, Bishop of Glasgow, 'the kingdom of Scotland is not held in tribute or homage to anyone save God alone.' - 1290.

Ugh, must I? It's a dumbass post irrelevant from anything I said before or want to talk about now. You brought up Bond as some sort of symbol of British nationalism, how about you back that up?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    Ugh, must I? It's a dumbass post irrelevant from anything I said before or want to talk about now. You brought up Bond as some sort of symbol of British nationalism, how about you back that up?
    Yes you must. You said Bond was Scottish but that doesnt mean he cant be a British nationalist.

This pretty much explains it http://wingsland.podgamer.com/good-n...d-nationalism/
    the dream will never die

Robert Wishart, Bishop of Glasgow, 'the kingdom of Scotland is not held in tribute or homage to anyone save God alone.' - 1290.

Well, no, I can do whatever the I please, I think you'll find. I want your views, not some random link. Explain yourself.

Well, no, I can do whatever the I please, I think you'll find. I want your views, not some random link. Explain yourself.
    You yourself say to me that I should stop ignoring posts so..

The article expresses my views in a better way that I could explain them myself.
    the dream will never die

Sir Pignans's Avatar The bringer of cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by andysmfc13 View Post
    Yes you must. You said Bond was Scottish but that doesnt mean he cant be a British nationalist.

This pretty much explains it http://wingsland.podgamer.com/good-n...d-nationalism/
    Well that article seems to have completely ignored that Scotland is part of Britain.

Apparently Skyfall was ridiculing Scotland, now that's the first I've heard of anything even remotely like that.

And not only that, but it only talks about one film, rather than Bond as a figure for British nationalism.
    Last edited by Sir Pignans; February 20, 2013 at 02:49 PM.
    90% of teens would die today if facebook was destroyed. if you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.

My Political Profile.

Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Pignans View Post
    Well that article seems to have completely ignored that Scotland is part of Britain.

Apparently Skyfall was ridiculing Scotland, now that's the first I've heard of anything even remotely like that.

And not only that, but it only talks about one film, rather than Bond as a figure for British nationalism.
    Well that is what you would think

I think differently.
    the dream will never die

selder's Avatar Senator

How? You just said you want everything you currently have, except less of it.
    I really don't see how you came up with 'less'. I specifically mentioned autonomy. I even went into how 'more' powers like setting tax rates and making trade agreements would benefit the Scottish economy with Future Filmmaker. Of course if you think that means 'less', their really is no point in continuing to even address your posts as they do not seem to be grounded in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54
    God forbid anyone else do the same...right?
    Last edited by selder; February 20, 2013 at 03:25 PM.
    In the garb of old Gaul, with the fire of old Rome,
    From the heath-covered mountains of Scotia we come;
    Our loud-sounding pipe breathes the true martial strain,
    And our hearts still the old Scottish valour retain.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

If Scotland will be indipendent they will be a Republic? So no more United Kingdom? And the beautiful flag with all those colors and crosses, red, white and blue?.......this would be a sad detail.....

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    If Scotland will be indipendent they will be a Republic? So no more United Kingdom? And the beautiful flag with all those colors and crosses, red, white and blue?.......this would be a sad detail.....
    i guess we could keep the flag for special events if you feel strongly about it

Quote Originally Posted by andysmfc13 View Post
    Well that is what you would think

I think differently.
    Why? The evidence doesn't support your claims in the slightest.
    90% of teens would die today if facebook was destroyed. if you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.

My Political Profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Pignans View Post
    Why? The evidence doesn't support your claims in the slightest.
    I agree with the article, you dont.

It's simply because we are both on different sides of this debate.
    the dream will never die

No, the article literally ignores what British nationalism is in the first place. British nationalists like Scotland, hence why they want to keep it part of the union, the article is saying they don't, that's not British nationalism. It's just flawed on a fundamental principle.

My Political Profile.

Pielstick's Avatar Domesticus

I specifically mentioned autonomy.
    As has been pointed out time and again in this thread an independant Scotland will be anything but. What degree of autonomy do you expect to achieve by keeping Sterling and joining the EU? You'll end up with no control over your monetary policy because that will be in a foreign country and you'll have to tow the EU line on everything because you've lost the negotiating power and veto that comes with being in the UK.

Am I the only one who thinks the whole "let's be independant!" and "but we'll keep Sterling and be in the EU" doesn't quite add up?

Not only that, but the "keep Sterling" bit and the "be in the EU" bit are also going to be something of a tall order as I think in the eyes of most of our Eurocrat friends on the continent the two are mutually exclusive.
    Last edited by Pielstick; February 20, 2013 at 05:19 PM.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Future Filmmaker View Post
    As a person of Scottish heritage, it would be wonderful to see an independent Scotland someday. But the time is not now. Scotland requires a significant degree of reforms to bring itself out of the red and actually produce an economy that could realistically survive independently.
    And how, may I ask, do you expect that to happen while we are part of the UK, a country with 60 million people, the vast majority of whom live in England. Scotland has no prospects with continued government from Westminster, all the oil money and soldiers and business and finance will just keep going straight to London, where it will be spent on London. Its time we stopped subsidizing the City, and governed our own affairs, and then perhaps Edinburgh won't be a 'second best' to London, Aberdeen won't be a kind of colonial outpost, Glasgow will become a global city broken away from the image of a 'rough British industrial hellhole', and our young men will stop being sent away to Afghanistan and Iraq, bringing back nothing but mental illnesses, disabilities and the hatred of our growing Muslim population.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."