• I am from outside the UK - Yes

260 40.37%
  • I am from outside the UK - No

196 30.43%
Page 7 of 331 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257107 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

Default Re: Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

hopefully scotland can get back it´s free-banking system like in centuries ago. this would be way more eruptive than the split off the uk.

Doesn't England alone have about 10x the population of Scotland? Is Scotland really that important to the results of British elections?

It's hilarious that the Scottish don't want their lives completely controlled by the very Parliament that provides funds that subsidize Scotland in the first place.

OTOH, I think Salmond associates people supporting the SNP due to reasons not relating to Independence, with support for Independence, and I'd love to see it blown back in his pompous face.
    Last edited by Slaytaninc; October 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The whole of the United Kingdom should be given the chance to vote, this does NOT exclusively affect Scotland. As an Englishman, I would vote for their independence. We have enough freeloaders in this country without having a whole lot more up there (of which there are MANY http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-pay-tax.html).

Scottish independence should mean JUST that. They can go ahead and pay for their OWN tuition fees, their OWN healthcare and prescriptions. It's high time that Hadrians Wall was renovated to keep them independent aswell; there's no crawling back once the going gets hard Scotland! Which it predictably will.....
    Last edited by Aymer de Valence; October 19, 2012 at 03:38 AM.
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

It would be interesting to see free independent Scotland for the first time in centuries. Seems to me, thou, that Scottish independence issue will be used a political leverage just like issue of Quebec's separation in Canada a few decades back.

Gatsby's Avatar Punctual Romantic

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    It would be interesting to see free independent Scotland for the first time in centuries. Seems to me, thou, that Scottish independence issue will be used a political leverage just like issue of Quebec's separation in Canada a few decades back.
    Scotland is free, we get as much representation as anyone else in the Commons, and we also get our own devolved parliament.

People watching too much Braveheart methinks.
    You'll have more fun at a Glasgow stabbing than an Edinburgh wedding.

Under the patronage of the mighty Dante von Hespburg

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

Praise be to Mel Gibson, who knew after all the English and British Redcoats he's slain, he might finally have forced the British tyranny back within their borders after how many centuries? This is wonderful! The cold dark stain of English Imperialism began when they crossed Hadrian's Wall, let's finally see humanity finish this oh so sad chapter of human history. Begone with you heathens!
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Quote Originally Posted by JP226 View Post
    Praise be to Mel Gibson, who knew after all the English and British Redcoats he's slain, he might finally have forced the British tyranny back within their borders after how many centuries? This is wonderful! The cold dark stain of English Imperialism began when they crossed Hadrian's Wall, let's finally see humanity finish this oh so sad chapter of human history. Begone with you heathens!
    I'm insulted that you would consider Hadrian's wall as our southern border, I was hoping to base it on the River Trent, or the Thames... or the Channel.
    Last edited by Gatsby; October 19, 2012 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Illusionist View Post
    Yes they will, as you'll find most Scots really don't care that much about independence, they care about the fact that they've been governed by an incompetent political class in the South with a completely different outlook to reality. You get the same impression in the north of England too...
    I'd have agreed with you had there been two questions. I imagine most Scots would quite like to take away power from Westminster (and give Cameron a bloody nose in the process) but not at the expense of complete separation. From where I'm sitting, Cameron has pretty much won the debate already by insisting on just the one question.

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
    I'm insulted that you would consider Hadrian's wall as our southern border, I was hoping to base it on the River Trent, or the Thames... or the Channel.
    The Scots are wildlings, so a wall seems appropriate.
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Squiggle's Avatar Primicerius

I suppose one upside to Scottish independence is that England will virtually always elect center right Governments. IIRC if you only count England, they didnt elect a labour Government until Tony blair.
    Man will never be free until the last King is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
    ― Denis Diderot
    ~
    As for politics, I'm an Anarchist. I hate governments and rules and fetters. Can't stand caged animals. People must be free.
    ― Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by JP226 View Post
    The Scots are wildlings, so a wall seems appropriate.

We will leap over that silly wall, as our proud, free (and gloriously hairy) Scottish legs are not restricted by your oppressive notions of "trousers" or "underwear".

Danny_K_1's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Jack04 View Post
    I'd have agreed with you had there been two questions. I imagine most Scots would quite like to take away power from Westminster (and give Cameron a bloody nose in the process) but not at the expense of complete separation. From where I'm sitting, Cameron has pretty much won the debate already by insisting on just the one question.
    I know I'd have voted Devo max if it was on the paper but I imagine like many I'll be voting "No" now.

Vítor Gaspar's Avatar Protector Domesticus

For the sake of Spain and the Iberian Peninsula, no.

This marks such a dangerous precedent that I can't even think of the consequences this might have in Europe.

But the people are sovereign, so let them choose.

Shneckie's Avatar Vicarius

Has Salmond not died of a heart attack yet?

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

he does looks like someone who has a diet of Buckfast and deep fried Mars bars.
    Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

Lord Baratheon's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel Relvas View Post

This marks such a dangerous precedent that I can't even think of the consequences this might have in Europe.
    Now you see it dont you.The E.U wants the break of of these nations into smaller units so as to absorb into its federation little dependant(economically)nations.The E.U has long desired the break up of the U.K and would do the same to Spain given half the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Shneckie View Post
    Has Salmond not died of a heart attack yet?
    I hope this is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernicus II View Post
    The E.U has long desired the break up of the U.K and would do the same to Spain given half the chance.
    Any source for this claim?

And I like how the vast majority of people who are voted that Scotland should get independence are from outside the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Squiggle View Post
    I suppose one upside to Scottish independence is that England will virtually always elect center right Governments. IIRC if you only count England, they didnt elect a labour Government until Tony blair.
    Pretty ignorant. Nobody lives in Scotland. The heartland is the North.

Lord Baratheon's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Leonidas View Post
    Any source for this claim?
    I was waiting on this.Now you have asked I shall give.I do not offer conclusive evidence,because naturally, its not going to be officially written down,but it is evident in what the E.U does and how it behaves.

As for a source I can Quote you the now famous line from German Chancellor Konrad Adenauer speaking to French PM Guy Mollet. ‘France and England will never be powers comparable to the United States and the Soviet Union. Nor Germany, either. There remains to them only one way of playing a decisive role in the world, that is to unite to make Europe. England is not ripe for it but the affair of Suez will help to prepare her spirits for it. We have no time to waste. Europe will be your revenge.’

Now for a more theoretical argument.Think of an independant Scotland.Thirty years ago could such a thing exist?Not without the E.U it could not.The E.U would pour vast amounts of money into Scotland like they did in Ireland,and remember what happened there.Scotland would,like Ireland become a province of the Brussels Empire,totally dependant on The E.U and totally under its rule of Law.

Is it no wonder the vast Euro-bureaucracy has a Commissioner for the regional policy.Why do you think we always hear this phrase 'Europe of the Regions'?Why do you think the European Flag flies equally alongside the Union Flag outside the Scottish Parliament?I will tell you why,because the E.U must dismember Nations that have a shared History and culture in order to fit them into this failure of a project.Any continental power throughout history has always tried to divide England and Scotland in order to weaken the United Kingdom.This is basic British history.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottis...Change_of_name

Now, Scotland is one of my top 5 favorite Nations and Scotland having its own Parliament was a rational idea.It is a proud nation with its own unique Culture.That said however so is Britain and the Union works.And just because I like it so much here is:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nBt8Ahb48w
    Last edited by Lord Baratheon; October 19, 2012 at 06:56 PM.

Yoda Twin's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel Relvas View Post

But the people are sovereign, so let them choose.
    Are they? That's quite a bold statement considering Westminster has been the text book example of a sovereign parliament for quite some time now.
    Minister for Home Affairs of the Commonwealth v Zentai [2012] HCA 28 per Heydon J at [75]

Analysis should not be diverted by reflections upon the zeal with which the victors at the end of the Second World War punished the defeated for war crimes. The victors were animated by the ideals of the Atlantic Charter and of the United Nations. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was about to peep over the eastern horizon. But first, they wanted a little hanging.