260 40.37%
  • I am from outside the UK - No

196 30.43%
Page 5 of 331 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055105 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Lazzeer View Post
    The Kingdom of Scotland ceased to exist as a legal entity in 1707, so there is no Scotland - just the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Strictly speaking the two are separate legal entities.
    So regardless, this new Scotland isn't the old "The Kingdom of Scotland" which people are familiar with. It's instead "The Artist Formerly Known As That Northern Bit Of Great Britain With The Islands And Whisky."

What will determine initial Scottish citizenship for example? Legal residence or arbitrary ethnicity?

Breaking up the UK makes way more sense.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; October 16, 2012 at 06:15 AM.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Indefinitely Banned

The country formerly known as Scotland now called the Republic of Pictish land.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    So regardless, this new Scotland isn't "Scotland". It's "The Artist Formerly Known As That Northern Bit Of Great Britain With The Islands And Whisky."

What will determine initial Scottish citizenship for example? Legal residence or arbitrary ethnicity?
    They would probbaly go through a process of deciding that: it might be anyone who is both a resident in Scotland and a citizen of the United Kingdom and anyone who was born here.

Going down some ethnicity route would prompt all sorts of outrage and comparisons.

I'm just trying to grasp what is Scotland going to be.

I mean when the southern States left the union (albeit illegally) it was pretty straight forward. You had a number of federated States which changed their names to independent Republics and then coalesced into a Confederation. The States were well defined entities which were bound by the constitution. Thus they basically break their treaty to the USA and leave. Nice and clean.

Likewise historic Scotland is a well defined entity which was bound by the act of union into the UK of Great Britain. So if the objective was to undo the 1707 Union and then reestablish Scotland that would make sense. This process just seems screwier than that.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Scotland already has a devolved Parliament with limited powers and a legally defined territorial limit. If Scotland were to leave the Union, the geogrpahic area governed by that Parliament will constitute the new nation, and that Parliament will be granted all powers currently reserved by the Westminster Parliament.

Yoda Twin's Avatar Vicarius

I mean when the southern States left the union (albeit illegally) it was pretty straight forward. You had a number of federated States which changed their names to independent Republics and then coalesced into a Confederation. The States were well defined entities which were bound by the constitution. Thus they basically break their treaty to the USA and leave. Nice and clean.

Likewise historic Scotland is a well defined entity which was bound by the act of union into the UK of Great Britain. So if the objective was to undo the 1707 Union and then reestablish Scotland that would make sense. This process just seems screwier than that.
    The historic Crown of Scotland ceased to exist after the Union of the Crowns, a fact you were keen to recognize in the other thread on Scottish independence in the Academy. As such, I don't see the issue as to the creation of a new Scottish Crown without any legal connections to the historic crown.
    Minister for Home Affairs of the Commonwealth v Zentai [2012] HCA 28 per Heydon J at [75]

Analysis should not be diverted by reflections upon the zeal with which the victors at the end of the Second World War punished the defeated for war crimes. The victors were animated by the ideals of the Atlantic Charter and of the United Nations. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was about to peep over the eastern horizon. But first, they wanted a little hanging.

I WUB PUGS's Avatar OOH KILL 'EM

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    What exactly are standing in the way of Scotland becoming a new Norway?
    If they had as much oil and the government was ready to use that oil money efficiently. EVERYONE knows that Scotland cannot float without London footing most of the bill at present.

Many things need to change in Scotland for this to be viable, but when/if those things change, it is doubtful that anyone would even bother with independence.

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Quote Originally Posted by Bobz View Post
    You're about 30 years late. There really is no struggle in Northern Ireland anymore.
    Well not military struggles, but there are political forces and ordinary people wanting a secessin from UK. And if sctoland broke free, they might want to use the opprtuniy to break free themselves

Watercress's Avatar Praeses
    Her Majesty's Extraterrestrial Possessions

Quote Originally Posted by Makrell View Post
    Well not military struggles, but there are political forces and ordinary people wanting a secessin from UK. And if sctoland broke free, they might want to use the opprtuniy to break free themselves
    They've had an 'opportunity' since the creation of the Irish Free State. It's just that the majority are direly opposed.

"Only Connect!...Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer."

Lord Baratheon's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Makrell View Post
    Id love to see true(that means both Britishness and Irishness being respected as part of Irish Identidy) reconciliation in Ireland.I would still hope that our Historical ,Cultural and economical ties with Britain would very much remain.I certainly wouldnt call it 'breaking free'..Anyway the situation in Scotland is somewhat different.Oh, and please dont call campaigns of terror 'Military struggles'.

They've had an 'opportunity' since the creation of the Irish Free State. It's just that the majority are direly opposed.
    What a silly understanding of modern Irish History(a history that unfortunately a lot of people believe.)
    Last edited by Lord Baratheon; October 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM.

Lazzeer's Avatar Biarchus

The result is the same, only the method is different.

The end result would be an independent Kingdom, sharing the Windsor monarchy, consisting most likely of the areas currently administered by the Scottish parliament.

Of course some of it is up for grabs, as what the referendum really does is allow Holyrood and Westminster to start entering negotiations for Scottish independence, which could take a while.

The key point really though was that Scotlands' leaving doesn't legally affect any of the other constituent nations of the UK, kind of like how Southern Ireland leaving didn't affect the rest of the UK.
    As far as I can tell, your entire enterprise is little more than a solitary man with a messy apartment which may or may not contain a chicken.

It's all fun and games until people start getting eaten

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by nemgod View Post
    Well north sea oil is the fastest depleting one in the world.
    No it's not. Business is booming at the moment, with drilling up and a load of new projects in the pipeline, unable to get started because of a shortage of skills.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

The Alcotroll's Avatar Campidoctor
    The People's Democratic Republic of Lancashire.

If Scotland achieves independence, then I for one will be pushing for the establishment of the People's Democratic Republic of Lancashire. London is only 50 miles closer to my house than Edinburgh, and I don't want to be ruled by southern, shandy-drinking fairies any more than the Jocks do.

On a more serious note: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I get the impression that Scottish (and Welsh) independence is a pipe-dream given credence only by the democratic principle that he who shouts loudest gets heard most often. The harsh, cold realities of life mean that if anything, the UK, including all its squabbling, disfunctional tribes and clans, will eventually be subsumed into some sort of pan-european colossus.

That could just be the booze talking.

King Gambrinus's Avatar Primicerius

Devolution max was a decent solution. It's a shame these two care more about their own personal legacy ("I gave Scotland Independence" or "I kept the UK alive" seems more dramatic that "I gave Scotland more political powers" or "I guarenteed more powers stayed in Westminster backbenchers' hands...") than their own electorate.
    Fear not, crusader, Prester John will save you from the wrath of the Devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazzeer View Post
    The result is the same, only the method is different.

The end result would be an independent Kingdom, sharing the Windsor monarchy, consisting most likely of the areas currently administered by the Scottish parliament.

Of course some of it is up for grabs, as what the referendum really does is allow Holyrood and Westminster to start entering negotiations for Scottish independence, which could take a while.

The key point really though was that Scotlands' leaving doesn't legally affect any of the other constituent nations of the UK, kind of like how Southern Ireland leaving didn't affect the rest of the UK.
    Well southern Ireland didn't effect the rest of the UK because technically the Kingdom of Ireland still exists, albeit having lost much of it's territory.

Oh well, I'm going to drop it, it makes more sense now.

The Kingdom of Ireland does not still exist...

Quote Originally Posted by The Illusionist View Post
    Devolution max was a decent solution. It's a shame these two care more about their own personal legacy ("I gave Scotland Independence" or "I kept the UK alive" seems more dramatic that "I gave Scotland more political powers" or "I guarenteed more powers stayed in Westminster backbenchers' hands...") than their own electorate.
    That's a bit silly. The realpolitik is that Salmond wanted a devo-max option because he knew this referendum is going to fail. But he has to push for it, since he has won a majority. Otherwise he will make the SNP cease to seem an independence party.

Meanwhile Cameron has won a huge boon by getting a single question, because it closes the independence debate for decades to come.
    Last edited by removeduser_487563287433; October 17, 2012 at 03:12 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

suck it up, UK; your days of terrorising the british isles are over. Now witness the slow death of a thousand cuts of secessionism.
    FREE SCOTLAND!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jurisprudence Tom Cruise View Post
    I did go to a school where the teacher told us Ian Paisley was the actual Devil so my head is brainwashed.

Anyhow here is the new Union flag.

I agree with Bombadier I think England should vote also as It is clear many do not want Scotland.How sad Scots want to love the Union and the Union does not really want them.Unrequited love chaps wot wot kinda sad like that girl who broke my heart all those years ago.I am sure I saw a poll where English people did not want Scotland as they are all spongers and Neds and heavy drinkers.There words not mine.I also believe many English did not want the North Of Ireland during the troubles as they were more trouble than they were worth at the time.Is this true in the opinion of English people here??Nobody ever asks them do they want people sponging off them..
    Why was Wales left out of the Union flag? Shouldn't there be a little dragon there?

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    If you ever lived next to a volcano, the fact that you had nothing to do with your neighbour failing to properly throw in his virgin daughter to appease the local deity doesn't stop the lava from engulfing your home.

Lazzeer's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    That's a bit silly. The realpolitik is that Salmond wanted a devo-max option because he knew this referendum is going to fail. But he has to push for it, since he has won a majority. Otherwise he will make the SNP cease to seem an independence party.

Meanwhile Cameron has won a huge boon by getting a single question, because it closes the independence debate for decades to come.
    I remember John Snow was talking to Salmond on Channel 4 News, and Salmond was being very evasive on the idea of how often he thought there should be a referendum.

Of course the SNP are pretty smart, so I'd imagine anything over 40% yes vote would still be a big victory for them as they'd advocate it still show substantial support for constitutional change, and then they'd probably push for more devolved powers.

I think the new Lib Dem policy is pretty smart - reiterating the case for more devolved powers. Because of the referendum agreement the SNP will be pushing solidly for independence, making them look less moderate. The Lib Dems then will try and woo this middle ground of those who want more devolution, but reject independence.
    As far as I can tell, your entire enterprise is little more than a solitary man with a messy apartment which may or may not contain a chicken.

It's all fun and games until people start getting eaten

Quote Originally Posted by Doge Domenico View Post
    Why was Wales left out of the Union flag? Shouldn't there be a little dragon there?
    Maybe make a White and Green background on which to overlay St. George's, St. Patrick's, and St. Andrew's crosses. The White background for Wales and England. The Blue background for Scotland. The Green background for Wales and Ireland. Three crosses for three Kings. I don't like the way the St. Patrick and St. Andrew crosses are rendered though. St. Patrick's cross is only half there.

Last edited by Col. Tartleton; October 17, 2012 at 09:43 AM.