• I am from outside the UK - Yes

260 40.37%
  • I am from outside the UK - No

196 30.43%

Thread: Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Default Re: Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

Well, the voice of the Scottish people has spoken. That's a how democracy works.
    That said, The Velvet Divorce in European History proved that states can divide peacefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    I personally don't have faith in the UK to transfer to a working federal system
    Agreed. Btw, in Europe, UK/England/whatever does not wish to lose its sovereignty. Cameron is against a federal Europe. How can Cameron be both pro-federalist (in the UK) and anti-federalist (in Europe)?
    Last edited by Ludicus; September 20, 2014 at 05:42 AM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Quote Originally Posted by Caelifer_1991 View Post
    That video above was taken before counting took place, of course it does still look remarkably dodgy, however, that is one woman on her own and frankly her rather repetitive and methodical behaviour looks more like OCD than anything else. If there was evidence of this taking place during counting then it would be more meaningful.
    Quite Right. However I suspect elements of the losing side were always going to cry fowl whatever the verdict. Even if it is altered here and there I doubt 5% of the votes could have been moved without someone noticing. Nevertheless the 'Yes' side - or certain elements of it - may try to rally around claims such as this.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?

- John Ball (1381)

UselessPoster's Avatar Semisalis

Jealous jocks finding excuses to pin the rigging on the UK hehe.
    Q2 2015 ...

Time to go on a killing spree in HATRED .

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Jealous secessionist jocks: I for one am delighted with the result!

New social media phenomenon: sore losers everywhere adding '45' badges onto their Facebook pictures in memory of the vote they lost.

UselessPoster's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Poach View Post
    Jealous secessionist jocks: I for one am delighted with the result!

New social media phenomenon: sore losers everywhere adding '45' badges onto their Facebook pictures in memory of the vote they lost.
    It was more sarcastic mate people cant take jokes these days ;p.
    Q2 2015 ...

Time to go on a killing spree in HATRED .

The irony may be that polls showing that the Yes vote was ahead and likely to win independence for Scotland, shocked the older generation enough to go out and vote No.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    The irony may be that polls showing that the Yes vote was ahead and likely to win independence for Scotland, shocked the older generation enough to go out and vote No.
    Yeah. I mean even the 16 and 17 year old did not manage to give them a majority.
    Miss me yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    Agreed. Btw, in Europe, UK/England/whatever does not wish to lose its sovereignty. Cameron is against a federal Europe. How can Cameron be both pro-federalist (in the UK) and anti-federalist (in Europe)?
    True this is a slight hypocrisy but I like how you ignore the contradictory position of Scottish nationalists, or pro-independence supporters, who want their sovereignty from London but are quite keen to be a part of the EU. Can't be Scottish, British and European but can be Scottish and European. No one else find this confusing at all?
    "If I have done any noble action, that is a sufficient memorial; if I have done nothing noble, all the statues in the world will not preserve my memory."
    - Agesilaus II of Sparta

"Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy."
    - Isaac Newton

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    I am glad Salmond's cynical way of bumping up the vote with weans didn't work . You are right the much publicised poll showing Yes slightly ahead and subsequent polls showing it neck and neck, got people to come out and vote who would otherwise have stayed at home.

Ironically the more vocal the Yes crowd (and they were very vocal) the more it galzanized the No support. Politicians had very little influence on the No vote. This video shows a nice example of Yes campaigners who as usually didn't do much for their cause. The video was posted to shame the Unionist reacting to a girl trying to snatch his megaphone with a kick, not realizing that it in fact does the opposite.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Why is the megaphone user being shamed anyway? The woman tried to steal his property and the movement of his foot was nothing more than a push away with his feet. It wasn't some kind of unprovoked attack on the woman.

She clearly wanted to take his megaphone away - that kick was a kick for freedom of speech! A kick for Democracy...
    When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?

- John Ball (1381)

You may take my megaphone but you'll never take my FREEDOM... of speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleonic Bonapartism View Post
    She clearly wanted to take his megaphone away - that kick was a kick for freedom of speech! A kick for Democracy...
    She probably thought it would fetch a good price at the local pawn shop. Its a big mistake saying 'Id need to be killed to stop doing this" if he was in Glasgow Govan

King_Porus's Avatar Senator

Just thought I'd put this here...

Have fun dealing with the loud minority of separatists trying to keep the "dream" alive from decades, even though the majority clearly don't agree with them
    Last edited by Darth Red; September 20, 2014 at 12:20 PM.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Ugh, "the dream".

Quebec/Scotland personify political freedom as a result of these votes. They could actually not be not more free. They had the choice to leave but chose against it to the benefit of their people.

Choosing not to be independent is freedom. They were free to pick their allegiance, and with that freedom chose to keep it the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Porus View Post
    Just thought I'd put this here...

Have fun dealing with the loud minority of separatists trying to keep the "dream" alive from decades, even though the majority clearly don't agree with them
    That would have been a fitting flag for a Scotland dominated by the French, if Bonnie Prince Charlie would have succeeded. And given France's record elsewhere in the World, that relationship would have quickly turned sour once England wasn't a threat.

Quebec isn't really a good comparison with Scotland. The Scots aren't a remnant of a colonial empire beaten by the British. They are a country which is part of a Union, the Union flag is as much theirs as England, Wales or Northern Ireland. The fact that so many feel removed from this fact, is something of great concern and needs addressing
    Last edited by caratacus; September 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM.

I heard that the uncertainty created by a secessionist Quebec caused quite a number of businesses and English speakers to set up shop somewhere less xenophobic, and discouraged any commercial investment.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by 6th Vigil View Post
    you ignore the contradictory position of Scottish nationalists, or pro-independence supporters, who want their sovereignty from London but are quite keen to be a part of the EU. ...No one else find this confusing at all?
    No, there is no contradiction. An example, Slovenia and the Czech Republic-both countries are full members of NATO and of the European Union.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Vicarius

I do find it contradictory. Either you want independence or you don't. If Britain is part of the EU then Scotland is part of the EU. If Scotland is independent from the Britain but then part of the EU then Scotland still has to follow EU dictates. As both would be part of the EU it would make no difference. What really should be given to the UK as a whole by the way is whether Britain should be part of the EU. We haven't had a vote on it and that is unfair. At least Scotland has had a referendum on being in the UK.

Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post

Indeed, it seems he uttered promises within UK because of his panic which are absolutely controversial compared to his "non-federalist" positions some months ago.

It is inevitable IMHO that the British people will contest the current UK status and they will assert a more decentralised and federal form of government
    Last edited by neoptolemos; September 20, 2014 at 12:19 PM.
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões