115 17.86%
  • I am from outside the UK - Yes

260 40.37%
  • I am from outside the UK - No

196 30.43%

Thread: Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

Senator

Default Re: Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

The professor from LSE on Newsnight has just said that all these "Scottish" banking institutions are already not in effect based in Scotland.

EDIT: He's just reiterated that it will just be a brass plate moving, operations will most likely not move. Scotland doesn't currently get credit for UK corporation tax. Even the GERS figures only use a population share and don't actually try and work out what individual companies contribute.
    Last edited by In3x; September 10, 2014 at 05:44 PM.
    [M2TW AAR] The Spirit of the Blitz (16 turn long campaign victory with Sicily)
    [RETROFIT AAR] World War 0 (All factions hotseat)

Dante Von Hespburg's Avatar Sloth's Inferno
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by In3x View Post
    The professor from LSE on Newsnight has just said that all these "Scottish" banking institutions are already not in effect based in Scotland.
    Arguably yes and no looking into it- either way it's bad though, since then it means plans to increase business in the rUK over Scotland (Again their larger markets are more appealing). Also this is what i was speaking of- EU law that Banks have to be based where most of their business happens- so in-effect we're looking at losing all our banking and finance industry, who typically do more deals with the rUK than just Scotland on it's own:

He was referring to a EU rule that requires banks to be based in the same country as most of their business. For RBS, which also owns NatWest and a London-based investment bank, that is England.
    The rule would apply if, as expected, an independent Scotland joined the EU. Carney said RBS also had the option of refocusing its business on Scotland.
    Carney said an independent Scotland would have to guarantee deposits held in England by Scottish-domiciled banks under EU law.
    Since the insurer Standard Life revealed last month it was working on contingency plans to leave Scotland, more attention has focused on what banks and other businesses would do if Scotland voted for independence in September's referendum.
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/...endence-carney

As i said, while Scotland has a strong financial sector- second to London, on Independence it's likely we'd lose out on this in the short (and indeed long) term, Instead it would be a good idea to look at creating a Scottish niche in another sector ideally- difficult but probably the best way to ensure economic success. Perhaps manufacturing, or energy.

EDIT: Apologies for my poor structuring tonight, revision really has scrambled me. Always knew it was bad for you.
    Last edited by Dante Von Hespburg; September 10, 2014 at 05:52 PM.
    House of Caesars: Under the Patronage of Char Aznable

Proud Patron of the roguishly suave Gatsby

Quote Originally Posted by Totalheadache View Post
    So this poll out of actual Scots have a slight lead. (as it is atm). Gonna be close this.

I am for Scottish independance and Welsh.

Quite amused to see that apparently the queen will lose Balmoral! (will be turned into a Kilt factory) Oh dear. Well what does she expect she is after all a Schelwig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg...
    The queen belongs to the House of Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha (called "Hose of Windsor" in England since WW I), her husband Prince Philip is from the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.

Each autonomous area could agree amongst themselves to specialize in one or more types of industries or niches, so as to not cannibalize each other, and allow them to nurture the economic and political environment to attract the correct type of investment.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Von Hespburg View Post
    So message to the UK is Westminster is basically- Give Scotland serious and extensive devolved powers as you've promised (and that has probably helped swing the vote back a bit more) AND make sure to heck that the UK doesn't leave the EU. Otherwise we're probably looking at the break-up of two Unions on the same day. The UK to stay together and retain their 'sovereignty' and integrity leaves the EU....then Scotland ironically leaves the newly independent UK due to this.
    In other words the choice is either let Scotland independent and preserve British independence, or destroy British as whole together with Scotland by EU; regardless, it is always EU 1 : UK 0.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Can this vote be why the UK has been so reluctant to join air strikes on ISIS so far?
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Farnan View Post
    Can this vote be why the UK has been so reluctant to join air strikes on ISIS so far?
    Nobody wants to join an operation organized by Obama.
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

France is going to provide airstrikes, Canada is providing advisers, and many nations are providing weapons and transporting weapons to Iraq.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

France is going to provide airstrikes, Canada is providing advisers, and many nations are providing weapons and transporting weapons to Iraq.
    We would see how much percentage of total support those countries actually provide; it does kindly interesting that Obama makes it clear about his leadership this time.

Alba Gu Braith mates. Either way I will still love ya.... Scots follow your hearts... not your heads. That is when you are at your best...

Cheers from an Aussie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Von Hespburg View Post
    I think i love you bro (no homo).

That's actually exactly what i suggested quite some time ago in this thread- a more federalistic approach to the UK with Westminster retaining defense, foreign policy and a Federal supplementary budget (For those regions that may need it) and the rest of the UK split into Scotland, Northumbria, Mercia, Wessex, Wales and N.Ireland, all with devo-max powers over their investment, taxes and economies etc. London ideally would be made a city state since as i said it's economy would arguably be better off that way (also London + Wessex would be unduly a power-block).

So i totally agree with you there mate.
    I agree, London itself can not be part of any other regional group. Considering the area within the M25 has the population of just under Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland combined. It being its own city state/regional group within a federalized UK can only be the true feasible option. It could also mean that the whole London/south east centric views can also be broke as each region would get similar finances distributed to it as hopefully they would all have similar populations to within 1-2 million people. That could also help with the problem of people saying "region A and region B must have same say in how things are done." because they would be equal in number of people around. And even though Northern Ireland and wales have much less in numbers, they could have slight dispensations for them.

You guys are neglecting democratic view and literally 1,500 years of political tradition. Breaking up England as a single governing unit, removing London from England - that's all political fantasy.

No - when David Cameron lost the vote on military intervention in Syria it was the first war vote a sitting Prime Minister has lost in Parliament since Parliament rebelled to make peace with the USA during the American Revolution. His Government is too weak to make any direct intervention in any country, especially a year or so before the general election.
    Last edited by removeduser_487563287433; September 10, 2014 at 09:36 PM.

Tradition should be done away with if there is a better alternative. Tradition for tradition sake is never good. Also it allows the different regions to cater better to the people within them. A person from cornwall is going to have different needs and wants than a person from Essex. Allowing both to have their needs seen to in separate devolved parliaments would work better and also be able to break the whole thought that only London and S.East get all the money. (and as someone from Essex I can tell you we don't get much of what London sees.)

Dude this is a liberal democracy, you can't make that sort of constitutional change without a democratic mandate and there will be zero public support for it.

Then you make a case for it. Go out and show how this will be better. The reason why there is no public support is because no one has even bothered to start trying to push the reforms out there. And even in liberal democracies you have to go against what the people want for the betterment of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by nemgod View Post
    Then you make a case for it. Go out and show how this will be better. The reason why there is no public support is because no one has even bothered to start trying to push the reforms out there. And even in liberal democracies you have to go against what the people want for the betterment of the people.
    That will simply not happen. The support for it is so non existent no right thinking political group or individual will ever embarrass themselves with it.

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    In other words the choice is either let Scotland independent and preserve British independence, or destroy British as whole together with Scotland by EU; regardless, it is always EU 1 : UK 0.
    Please do enlighten me how EU will destroy UK.

The Robin Hood Tax, as a tariff on all financial transactions.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    The Robin Hood Tax, as a tariff on all financial transactions.
    So they want to keep their crown as a world transaction centre so they leave EU because it will tax them....the fun part is that London was allowed to keep it crown because it`s part of the world`s biggest economy.

Paris, Amsterdam and Berlin will be happy to share in the spoils if the Brits are retard enough to leave.

Besides, they should have been taxed a long time ago, if I have a company I can`t buy and sell a bloody pen to anyone without getting slapped with 24% VAT on that item.I don`t see why financial transactions should be treated differently, EU is the world`s biggest economy and the east is in dire need of investment, EU will remain one of the prime spots for investment, with or without the tax.
    It`s about time those pigs payed.

It would be dumb for the UK to leave the EU, but the EU is the topic the UK likes to be most dumb about.