260 40.37%
  • I am from outside the UK - No

196 30.43%
Page 2 of 331 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752102 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Default Re: Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

Though I agree with the concept of having a referendum I do not agree with 16 and 17 year olds voting in it. Seems a device by salmond to ensure the most naive and nationalist portions of society get to swing the vote.

Campidoctor

Nope I think it is an awful idea, and if I was in Scotland I'd certainly be voting against independence. We're far better off all together than apart.

Lord Baratheon's Avatar Decanus

An interesting perspective from Peter Hitchens(the articles a little old)

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co....o-blender.html

You may not like him but he raises some interesting points.

Personally I dont like the idea of Scottish Independance.I am aware that the union between England and Scotland was unwanted at the time,but by God,hasnt it worked.I think this is being done for all the wrong reasons.I have spoke to many Scots who want to be independant but also outside the E.U and they are going to vote No for that very reason.
    Last edited by Lord Baratheon; October 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

He's sort of on the same thought as I am. If a United Europe is to work out, it needs to break up the larger countries and reinvent them as smaller constituent states in a federation.

He's strongly against it. I'm more ambivalent. Federal republican governments are a good thing. However the sheer size and diversity of the EU means it's going to be hell. I mean had the various British, French, Dutch, Spanish, and Portuguese colonies in the New World all decided to rebel from their colonial rulers and unify into a superstate back in 1775 we'd hardly be looking at the kind of problems the EU faces.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; October 15, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    He's sort of on the same thought as I am. If a United Europe is to work out, it needs to break up the larger countries and reinvent them as smaller constituent states in a federation.

He's strongly against it. I'm more ambivalent. Federal republican governments are a good thing. However the sheer size and diversity of the EU means it's going to be hell. I mean had the various British, French, Spanish, and Portuguese colonies in the New World all decided to rebel from their colonial rulers and unify into a superstate back in 1775 we'd be looking at the kind of problems the EU faces.
    But then your talking about breaking up age old Nations and cultures, so it comes at a cost,and in the end you have to ask,what for?I dont think these comparisons between the E.U and the U.S.A work,they are two completely different situations.The U.S constitution was a form of govt that was ideal for small colonies that more or less had a similar history and way of life.The U.S has a better form of Govt than the Euro-Bureaucracy.In my Opinion,anyway.
    Last edited by Lord Baratheon; October 15, 2012 at 11:35 AM.

Civitate

I can't see the referendum being won by the Yes campaign, even with 16 year olds being allowed to vote. There still needs to be an awful lot more information on what would happen to Scotland post independence, and until more of this is released I don't think it'd be sensible to vote Yes.

What does appeal to me about Scottish independence is a chance to move away from the financial services, London-centric economy that the UK is stuck with to a more diverse one.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernicus II View Post
    But then your talking about breaking up age old Nations and cultures, so it comes at a cost,and in the end you have to ask,what for?I dont think these comparisons between the E.U and the U.S.A work,they are two completely different situations.The U.S constitution was a form of govt that was ideal for small colonies that more or less had a similar history and way of life.The U.S has a better form of Govt than the Euro-Bureaucracy.In my Opinion,anyway.
    I don't think the EU as it's going is going to work, but a more Federal system could work.

You're going to need to standardize and integrate your systems. Military, Education, English or German as the official language, all that crap.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

As a true Englishman and a staunch patriotic defender of liberty, I say yes to Scottish Alienation From The Union. For too long our English peoples have been oppressed. Why is it that in the United Kingdom every single country except England has its own legislative body be it a Parliament or an Assembly? Which nationality is it that has to pay for the burden of failing Scottish Banks, failing Scottish Industry and for the failing Scottish economy? How is it fair that when the majority of the electorate in England demand a Conservative British government, they end up with a Labour one due to the nature of the Westminster Parliament? The only way for Albion to truly rise is for it to cast off the shackles of the barbaric wastelands named Scot-land that are inhabited by drunken, debauchering, savages.
    Last edited by ♖The Balkan Sobranie♖; October 15, 2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Wrote 'no' instead of 'yes'. OOPS. :P
    Et in Arcadia ego.

"If only it could be like this always, always alone, always summer, the fruit always ripe, and Aloysius always in a good temper."

Comes Domesticorum

Indeed, you guys need an official language, like the US.

If Montenegro gained it's independence ,i see here no issue then .

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedge Knight View Post
    Though I agree with the concept of having a referendum I do not agree with 16 and 17 year olds voting in it. Seems a device by salmond to ensure the most naive and nationalist portions of society get to swing the vote.
    IF THEY ARE OLD ENOUGH TO BLEED ON FOREIGN BATTLEFIELDS AND CARRY A GUN THEY SHOULD VOTE
    Time for Scots men to stand up and have their own country..

But Mr Salmond responded: 'The Scottish Government has an ambitious vision for Scotland: a prosperous and successful European country, reflecting Scottish values of fairness and opportunity, promoting equality and social cohesion.
    'A Scotland with a new place in the world - as an independent nation.
    'Today's historic signing of the Edinburgh Agreement marks the start of the campaign to fulfil that ambition.
    'It will be a campaign during which we will present our positive, ambitious vision for a flourishing, fairer, progressive, independent Scotland - a vision I am confident will win the argument and deliver a Yes vote in Autumn 2014.'
    Last edited by John ''True Grit'' Wayne; October 15, 2012 at 12:11 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

the scots aren't looking for independance per se, they're voting for more autonomy like under a confed system.

it means more scottish oil for Scots, not for the rest of the UK, which means they could potentially become a new norway; either way, London is going to lose out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurisprudence Tom Cruise View Post
    IF THEY ARE OLD ENOUGH TO BLEED ON FOREIGN BATTLEFIELDS AND CARRY A GUN THEY SHOULD VOTE
    Thats such a cliched argument,about the old enough to join the Army.If that is true then a better idea is to make it illegal to vote and join the Army at 16.Salmond,he knows what he is doing with this,most 16 yr olds grew up in an age when it was pretty imposible to be patriotic or have any attachment to the idea of a united Britain.Aslo how can they carry a Gun?Or do mean in the Army?

Am I the only Irishman against this idea?

Indefinitely Banned

London does not give a about Scots people only Scots do.We have a thread about Scots being drunks and sucking the dole from the union that shows how much your English masters care about ye.Vote for Independence lads if ye still have the battle cry of Stirling,Cullodin,Bannockburn in your belly's

Am I the only Irishman against this idea?
    Yes all Irishmen love Scots apart from Rangers supporters and we want a free Scotland for sentimental reasons
    Drink 5 pints of Guinness and take 2 paracetamol and it may help you change your mind
    Last edited by John ''True Grit'' Wayne; October 15, 2012 at 12:35 PM.

Lazzeer's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by General Brittanicus View Post
    On the one hand I'm very happy that the devo max option has been removed, but on the other I'm not so pleased they lowered the voting age. If the lowering of the voting age is enough to get them independence though I suppose I wont care as long as the government of the rest of the UK doesn't do something equally ridiculous.
    If I was 16 then I'd want a say. Having said that it is strange to change the voting age for just one vote, but then I think the SNP are in favour of reducing the general voting age to 16 anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    The SNP are pretty pro-Europe (well the leadership anyways, it's an incredibly big-tent party), and a large part of the argument for independence is related to the idea of "hey well we're all together in Europe anyways!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I can't see the referendum being won by the Yes campaign, even with 16 year olds being allowed to vote. There still needs to be an awful lot more information on what would happen to Scotland post independence, and until more of this is released I don't think it'd be sensible to vote Yes.
    I agree it might be doomed, but more due to the current euro-crisis. Currently there's not majority support for independence due to financial uncertainty amongst other things, and if the EU collapses then naturally the financial situation will get worse and there will be a total lack of confidence about going it alone. Alternatively if the EU consolidates (more likely) then the referendum would probably also fail as people might wonder what the point of independence is if we're just going to become a European state anyways.
    As far as I can tell, your entire enterprise is little more than a solitary man with a messy apartment which may or may not contain a chicken.

It's all fun and games until people start getting eaten

Indefinitely Banned

come to think of it, a more independant scotland would be good for the scots; despite similar cultures, the scots wish to be independant and if that's what they want, that's what they'll get.
    i'm more concerned about how London's going to mke up the shortfall in oil/$$ that comes from scotland's oil fields

Yes all Irishmen love Scots and we want a free Scotland for dogmatic Anti-English tribal hateful reasons spoon fed to us by the Republican Agenda with its myth of 'the Gael'
    Fixed that for you.

Also Just because Someone opposes this independance agenda does not mean they do not love Scotland.And as for the comments about 'Rangers supporters' well I guess you are not much less sectarian in the south than in the the North,if you genuinely think tribal football loyalties should have anything to do with it.

Indefinitely Banned

In the poll are we voting yes for independence or no to independence.Which before I scrawl my x mark with my crayon

Originally Posted by Jurisprudence Tom Cruise
    Yes all Irishmen love Scots and we want a free Scotland for dogmatic Anti-English tribal hateful reasons spoon fed to us by the Republican Agenda with its myth of 'the Gael'
    I am ashamed to admit that is kinda true lol.And Braveheart and the film Rob Roy also gives me a hard on for freedom.

the film Rob Roy also gives me a hard on for freedom.
    So you are a Guywell......unless..........

Indefinitely Banned

the Scots must be freed from the yoke of English oppression; down with the english! Scotland belongs to the Scots!!