• I am from outside the UK - Yes

260 40.37%
  • I am from outside the UK - No

196 30.43%

Thread: Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

What dead weight would that be?
    Oh I don't know, Scotland???????????? No more free prescriptions and an end to university fees being paid by the English taxpayer. Scottish benefit seekers (of which there are many) will now be paid from the SNP's coffers, and not Westminsters. As for Salmon's little quip about Scotland being part of Scandinavia, I don't think I've heard anything more laughable. Except the notion of an independent Scotland, of course.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...rt-711073.html

You know, Alex Salmond is leading you down a dark route here. Remain in the UK as a stronger unified country. Or be taken over by the EU and end up as a German satrape like Ireland? Scotland has always had poor leaders, as the Russians have had too. I almost feel sorry for you chaps. Almost.
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Their Law's Avatar Protector Domesticus

God this thread is embarrassing....
    "You have a decent ear for notes
    but you can't yet appreciate harmony."

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Quote Originally Posted by Their Law View Post
    God this thread is embarrassing....
    Why?
    I think it is quite interesting.We have all sorts of nationalisms clash here, neutrals , unionists, and two choices of shaping the Scottish and in consequence UK's future and good overall level of discussion.
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Anything worth discussing seems to have been exhausted around 10 pages back, the last few in particular have just been the nationalists on either side ranting in their own personal echo chambers.

Which is a shame unfortunately.

EDIT:

But there are a few issues I don't think I've seen addressed by the Pro SNP side in this thread.

What happens if independence is passed but significant regions of Scotland are majority unionist, say for example Orkney or Shetlands? Are the borders to be adjusted akin to Ireland or is it all or nothing? Leading on from that what happens if some regions request to remaing part of the UK in the event of Secession?

What happens if the referendum fails. Are we going to have to go through this every-time the SNP get in power?

What happens if you don't get access to the North Sea Oil fields?
    Last edited by Their Law; March 24, 2013 at 05:08 PM.

Anything worth discussing seems to have been exhausted around 10 pages back, the last few in particular have just been the nationalists on either side ranting in their own personal echo chambers.

Which is a shame unfortunately.
    It's even worse when you find out half the "Scottish" pro-independents aren't Scottish. One is from Virginia.

Well it seems that whenever a poll concerning the issue is published or any relative news, there will be a new circle of discussion.Personally when i asked some Scottish friends of mine about the referendum i had the impression that there are multiple approaches.
    Last edited by neoptolemos; March 24, 2013 at 05:04 PM.
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Quote Originally Posted by neoptolemos View Post
    Well it seems that whenever a poll concerning the issue is published or any relative news, there will be a new circle of discussion.Personally when i asked some Scottish friends of mine about the referendum i had the impression that there are multiple approaches.
    Oh I don't question that this issue has nuance to it, i'm just arguing that's not reflected in this thread.

The Great Montrose's Avatar Senator

For people who seem to think Scotland is "deadweight" and is nothing but a "deadbeat husband", boy do you seem keen to keep us and I'm quite sure it's not because your all worried about our well being so it must be for some other reason.....

And Ferrets it doesnt matter if someone from Virginia wants Scottish Independence and is arguing for it, your not Scottish either but your arguing for Scotland to remain in the U.K so I dont really see the Difference... It's open for anyone to discuss but remember we have the actual vote..
    the dream will never die

Robert Wishart, Bishop of Glasgow, 'the kingdom of Scotland is not held in tribute or homage to anyone save God alone.' - 1290.

EDIT:

But there are a few issues I don't think I've seen addressed by the Pro SNP side in this thread.

What happens if independence is passed but significant regions of Scotland are majority unionist, say for example Orkney or Shetlands? Are the borders to be adjusted akin to Ireland or is it all or nothing? Leading on from that what happens if some regions request to remaing part of the UK in the event of Secession?

What happens if the referendum fails. Are we going to have to go through this every-time the SNP get in power?

What happens if you don't get access to the North Sea Oil fields?
    These are really interesting questions.
    Luís de Camões

Answer 1: I dont think there are any really unionist areas of Scotland, not like Ireland anyway, It's all or nothing.

Answer 2: If the referendum fails then it's my opinon that we should be given this option every 10 years or something but in reality if it fails we probably wont be allowed another chance for decades.

Answer 3: I wouldnt say I know enough about stats and stuff to answer this. Someone else may be able to help though..
    the dream will never die

Robert Wishart, Bishop of Glasgow, 'the kingdom of Scotland is not held in tribute or homage to anyone save God alone.' - 1290.

scotland has been an extension of england for centuries, most scots know this and will not try to secede. It's better to be the arm of a great beast than stand in its path

Answer 1: I dont think there are any really unionist areas of Scotland, not like Ireland anyway, It's all or nothing.
    I hope you're right, because we can do without a Scottish version of the IRA and their unique brand of 'protest' against the British government

Answer 2: If the referendum fails then it's my opinon that we should be given this option every 10 years or something but in reality if it fails we probably wont be allowed another chance for decades.
    Why? Because the answer 'no' is not acceptable? Or better to wait until the Catholics outbreed the Protestants as they are doing in Northern Ireland....

Quote Originally Posted by nein View Post
    scotland has been an extension of england for centuries, most scots know this and will not try to secede. It's better to be the arm of a great beast than stand in its path
    Thank you for your contribution to this argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Æthelstan View Post
    I hope you're right, because we can do without a Scottish version of the IRA and their unique brand of 'protest' against the British government

Why? Because the answer 'no' is not acceptable? Or better to wait until the Catholics outbreed the Protestants as they are doing in Northern Ireland....
    I think we should be given the option every 10 years or something because I think that if theres a no vote the U.K government will stop us from having one for decades and I would rather we have the chance to change our mind if a no vote happens instead of being stuck with the decision of generations passed. And I'm a Protestant but I dont see what Catholics outbreading Protestants has to do with this.
    the dream will never die

Quote Originally Posted by andysmfc13 View Post
    Considering that all polls point at present point to a fairly divided Scottish population I don't think you can make a such a general statement. Anyway my question was not if you think it will happen, but what happens if it comes about. Would the SNP allow areas that wish to remain in the UK stay in the UK?

Ok so your basically suggesting the UK goes through what amounts to a constitutional crises every 10 years? That's not a viable long term solution.

Answer 3: I wouldnt say I know enough about stats and stuff to answer this. Someone else may be able to help though..
    Fair enough, it's a possibility though and should be considered.

Senator

For people who seem to think Scotland is "deadweight" and is nothing but a "deadbeat husband", boy do you seem keen to keep us and I'm quite sure it's not because your all worried about our well being so it must be for some other reason.....

And Ferrets it doesnt matter if someone from Virginia wants Scottish Independence and is arguing for it, your not Scottish either but your arguing for Scotland to remain in the U.K so I dont really see the Difference... It's open for anyone to discuss but remember we have the actual vote..
    Hey, I love Scotland. I love the United Kingdom, and I am British, not English. Better Together, my friend.

And Ferrets it doesnt matter if someone from Virginia wants Scottish Independence and is arguing for it
    You missed another point. They're lying about being Scottish, and independence won't affect them.

Indefinitely Banned

just cos we're not scottish or dont live in scotland dont mean we get no say, and most of us want scotland to be independant actually.

so stop being a bunch of imperialist pigs and let scotland be FREE for once.

I'm not saying you don't get a say. I'm saying it's wrong to claim that you're Scottish if you're not, and pose as if independence will effect you, when it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    just cos we're not scottish or dont live in scotland dont mean we get no say, and most of us want scotland to be independant actually.

Imperialist pigs? It's a good thing you aren't getting a say.
    Last edited by Erebus Pasha; March 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: off-topic

I think we should be given the option every 10 years or something because I think that if theres a no vote the U.K government will stop us from having one for decades and I would rather we have the chance to change our mind if a no vote happens instead of being stuck with the decision of generations passed. And I'm a Protestant but I dont see what Catholics outbreading Protestants has to do with this.
    If Salmond keeps winning seats and whatnot I dont really think that Westminster would stop him holding a referendum, but it would be a bit ridiculous to be holding one every ten years. I imagine the way it will happen (if a no vote happens) is that more and more powers will just be ceded to Scotland anyway until there is essentially no difference between independence and being part of the union. Personally though whilst I would marginally prefer the Union to continue I wouldnt be particularly broken up about it if they decided to go and if they manage to remain independent of the EU even better - I may even move there if that happened. (obviously that wont happen, but a man can dream)

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post

Free from what exactly? Perhaps you should also look up the meaning of imperialism in the dictionary as well, because I dont think it means what you think it means.