• I am from another part of the UK - Yes

32 5.00%
  • I am from another part of the UK - No

115 17.97%
  • I am from outside the UK - Yes

258 40.31%
  • I am from outside the UK - No

194 30.31%
Page 329 of 329 FirstFirst ... 229 279 304 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329
Results 6,561 to 6,562 of 6562

Thread: Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Pili Prior

Default Re: Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by caratacus View Post
    Whatever the powers offered to Scotland (and I doubt they will be substantial) it is going to create strains between the two parliaments if there isn't a democratic bridge between both. The SNP are not going to disappear after this referendum and we will probably see subsequent governments constantly at loggerheads with each other. Its was the SNP in Holyrood that pushed for this referendum and any greater amount of devolved power is never going to satisfy them.

The answer is simple, reform Westminster by scraping the House of Lords. Make it an elected assembly and divide it into four on the basis of the four parts of the Union. The Lower House would function as parliament for England, Wales and Northern Ireland but not Scotland who will have their own. This new Upper house would act as a bridge on the two lower houses and ensure a smoother relationship. Devolution for the English regions could be instigated as part of this reform process.

Do it this way and you would create a true Union of equal nations.But to treat Scotland as some English region in a devolution of powers is just plain insulting, and I'm not scottish
    I am fine with scrapping the house of Lords, at the same time they should be allowed to enter politics as any other person would and stand for any office. On the prevision that the House of Commons is becomes the only chamber at Westminster and ultimately leads the union.

The Devolved parliaments would remain in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all receiving the new powers Scotland wants. England if it gets a Parliament only for the English gets the same powers as Scotland for that Parliament. If England gets regional parliaments then there should also receive the same powers as there would be no English Parliament. Regardless of insult taken or given it is a United Kingdom and divisions if federalised must receive the same consideration.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm

Lazzeer's Avatar Hastatus

Default Re: Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Von Hespburg View Post
    So in essence their putting forward here the argument that actually it's Ed Milliband and Labour who lose the most from a devolved Scotland (And of course on the flip side, the Tories who would be set to make gains- hence perhaps both sides interest in putting forward a commitment to devolution).
    Absolutely. I think not only do the Conservatives stand to gain in England by exuding Scottish MP's from voting on English issues, but simultaneously I think that making Scotland more financially responsible may see the Scottish Conservatives become more popular. Scottish politics, as it is, is wholly focused on spending and resource management. By introducing the issue of fiscal responsibility, and making taxation a key issue for Holyrood, a space will emerge on the Scottish political scene for a party that advocates the reduction of taxation (and likely services). Tying in to my previous point, if the SNP under Sturgeon does lurch to the left then it will leave a clear gap in Scottish politics for a center-right party.

Seems my pet fetish for devolution is getting out there at least- for cities and local areas as the basic building blocks of a devolved UK. The other options are either too extreme for England- i.e. cutting England up into regions, or too dis-tasteful to the public- an extra layer of Politicians in an English Parliament. The cities seems like the most efficient and best targeted way to go. And this is something i would love to see applied to Scotland too, i don't want Holyrood having the centralized power it has now, for exactly the same reasons as Westminster.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29300084
    The English issue is difficult. The best way forward is no doubt by consultation, although even then it's not always clear what the public want. Often in England people seem to simultaneously reject any notion of regional assemblies, but simultaneously bemoan the dominance of London and the South East. I guess that's why the city deals seemed like a reasonable alternative. Of course it's not like us Scots are any clearer what we want. I seem to remember one of the last ScotCen surveys showing Devo-Max having large degrees of support, but simultaneously most Scots were opposed to varying rates of income tax or pension rates throughout the UK.

I doubt we'll see better city deals in Scotland for the time being. The SNP are very much focused on centralization. If they're aiming for Glasgow I also imagine they won't be too keen to give too much power to the Labour dominated council.

Cameron of course as seen above is struggling though to balance both England and Scotland now- he's keen to make sure that Scottish devolution isn't dependent upon English powers being given too. Seems he's trying to juggle too much as it is, though i do feel that the two should be looked at, at the same time- though of course not be mutually exclusive.
    It's tricky. If he closely ties the issue of EVEL to the Scottish question then he sets the ground for greater gains by the nationalists - sorting out EVEL will take a long time, whereas greater Scottish powers are expected to be delivered quickly. Alternatively if he doesn't tie the two together then Milliband might try and kick EVEL into the long grass. I'm sympathetic to the idea of a constitutional convention as espoused by Milliband, but part of me wonders if its just a ruse to indefinitely delay the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by caratacus View Post
    Whatever the powers offered to Scotland (and I doubt they will be substantial) it is going to create strains between the two parliaments if there isn't a democratic bridge between both. The SNP are not going to disappear after this referendum and we will probably see subsequent governments constantly at loggerheads with each other. Its was the SNP in Holyrood that pushed for this referendum and any greater amount of devolved power is never going to satisfy them.

The answer is simple, reform Westminster by scraping the House of Lords. Make it an elected assembly and divide it into four on the basis of the four parts of the Union. The Lower House would function as parliament for England, Wales and Northern Ireland but not Scotland who will have their own. This new Upper house would act as a bridge on the two lower houses and ensure a smoother relationship. Devolution for the English regions could be instigated as part of this reform process.

Do it this way and you would create a true Union of equal nations.But to treat Scotland as some English region in a devolution of powers is just plain insulting, and I'm not scottish
    I'm confused. Wales and Northern Ireland already have devolved assemblies and powers (albeit constructed in a different way to Scotland's parliament). Why are they in the Lower House? I assume though that the purpose of the upper house is deal with issues like defense, foreign affairs etc?
    As far as I can tell, your entire enterprise is little more than a solitary man with a messy apartment which may or may not contain a chicken.

It's all fun and games until people start getting eaten

Thread Information