115 17.86%
  • I am from outside the UK - Yes

260 40.37%
  • I am from outside the UK - No

196 30.43%
Page 1 of 331 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

Default Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

So - it's happened, the future of the United Kingdom is to be decided in just over a year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-19942638

It's a single yes/no question like Westminster wanted, and 16 year olds will have the vote like Edinburgh wanted.

Today makes the beginning of the most significant political campaign in the United Kingdom in living memory.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Scottish Independence Referendum is agreed: vote in 2014

I have until Autumn 2014 (by my count thats 2 years away, this being Autumn 2012) to think of the best way to tick the "No" box then!

Comes Domesticorum

The King in the North!

Anyway, I expect 2014 to show us that Britons are too conservative to actually allow for any great political change to occur on their island, including Scottish independence.

Or... or it could be that Independence is stupid beyond measure? Just a thought.

Patronized by the mighty Heinz Guderian

Yoda Twin's Avatar Vicarius

Will the time until the referendum be sufficient for the Scottish Parliament to work out what the they'll do if the referendum is answered in the yes? As right now, I think their current answer is somewhere along the lines of running mindlessly in circles.
    Minister for Home Affairs of the Commonwealth v Zentai [2012] HCA 28 per Heydon J at [75]

Analysis should not be diverted by reflections upon the zeal with which the victors at the end of the Second World War punished the defeated for war crimes. The victors were animated by the ideals of the Atlantic Charter and of the United Nations. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was about to peep over the eastern horizon. But first, they wanted a little hanging.

priam11's Avatar Campidoctor
    Toronto-Home of the crack smokin Robbie Ford

As an outsider, I am curious as to what people think on this issue regarding pros/cons for both options.

Is this the best time for independence given the general state of the global economy?
    "Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you.
    Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure."
    -George Carlin

I'd say not being entirely dependent on England for staying afloat would be a good starting point.

Patronized by the mighty Heinz Guderian

Dante Von Hespburg's Avatar Sloth's Inferno
    Moderator Emeritus

I've slipped and sneaked about these forums anonymously for the past four or so years (Great source of information and sometimes entertainment!), But this is the first thread where i've felt compelled to stop being such a creepy stalker and actively partake.

As a scot myself, i'm rather of the opinion that this is an incredibly bad move for bonnie caledonia, least of all because with the enfranchisement of 16 year olds, most of whom see 'Independence' and think 'Braveheart! Freedom!' and are without any idea of the realities of what will become of us if we were to have to try and stand on our own two feet, it might just get passed (Though not to say all teenagers are like that of course)... Also i'm going to be honest, the SNP has no concrete policies' of how we're going to do that either it seems, they haven't really made it clear to the public how we might achieve things on our own, economically, politically or defensive(ly?) wise, I have no idea personally, so unless they have some secret, shining master plan, involving the discovery of leprechauns who are favourable to the scottish plight, i can't see it being a good thing. Finally, I like the UK, i like being part of it, I like the the history and i like being subsidised! (That may be slightly flippant) and being an equal (if not more equal partner) in a Union that still has at least some semblance of clout in the greater political world. Thats just my two cents though.
    Last edited by Erebus Pasha; October 15, 2012 at 11:18 AM.

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

I really can't see the point of Scottish independence apart from nationalistic revisionism and fantasies of oil-driven riches like Norway....
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Would Scotland be a monarchy or a republic? If a monarchy, she would have the same monarch as England/Great Britain? The name Great Britain will cease to be used? Will we have again a Kingdom of England?

flota's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by neoptolemos View Post
    I really can't see the point of Scottish independence apart from nationalistic revisionism and fantasies of oil-driven riches like Norway....

Sent from Holy Terra using CM10 for Atrix
    Imposible is Nothing.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

No. Although I have come across far more English nationalists hoping for Scottish independence than I have come across Scots wanting independence. I personally don't see the point, we're a pretty small rock in the Atlantic so I am of the opinion that life is better when we come together as opposed to dividing on the whims of tribal nationalism. The nationalism its self is largely based on 19th century romanticism and the same goes for English and Welsh nationalism.
    Quote Originally Posted by CiviC View Post
    Would Scotland be a monarchy or a republic? If a monarchy, she would have the same monarch as England/Great Britain? The name Great Britain will cease to be used? Will we have again a Kingdom of England?
    It would still be a monarchy as Elizabeth is technically Queen of Scots and Queen of England. The monarchy would end up being in the same position it was between 1603 and 1707, where they were the monarchs of two separate countries, this actually already happens in regards to Australia, Canada etc. The term Great Britain would still be used in a geographic sense, which would encompass most of England, Scotland and Wales. Scotland may well end up being officially called the Kingdom of Scotland and England could well end up being called the Kingdom of England.
    Last edited by Father Jack; October 15, 2012 at 09:31 AM.
    Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

While I don't particularly wish the Scots to leave (in part as it would see an unending parade of Tory governments through Westminister), I do not see this as a particularly bad thing. Hopefully this will bury the nationalist hatchet once and for all, one way or another.

Lazzeer's Avatar Biarchus

The only part of the current deal that surprised me was the reduction of the voting age to 16, but then I guess the SNP got that through sacrificing the devo-max option.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    Anyway, I expect 2014 to show us that Britons are too conservative to actually allow for any great political change to occur on their island, including Scottish independence.
    Maybe, really just depends on what happens between now and 2014. The AV referendum did show the British public's constitutional conservatism though.
    As far as I can tell, your entire enterprise is little more than a solitary man with a messy apartment which may or may not contain a chicken.

It's all fun and games until people start getting eaten

No, because independence is silly.

I think the name United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland would probably change, yes. But no, you wouldn't have a Kingdom of England, because that would shut out Wales and Northern Ireland.

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

Wales is theoretically part of the Kingdom of England though. I forgot that NI would still remain.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politi...-2012101544981
    Last edited by Father Jack; October 15, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
    Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

How is the Jacobite movement looking? Herr Wittelbach would be a fine Koenig of the Schottland.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

I hope David Cameron and pals aren't going to be campaigning against Scottish independence, as i fear they will be more of a hindrance to the campaign rather than a help. I still have hope that Scotland will stay with us though and I would love to see what Salmond does if he loses the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    The King in the North!

Well considering there basically is no Conservative party in Scotland and 16-17 year olds will stupidly be allowed to vote in the referendum I think you may be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazzeer View Post
    The only part of the current deal that surprised me was the reduction of the voting age to 16, but then I guess the SNP got that through sacrificing the devo-max option.

Maybe, really just depends on what happens between now and 2014. The AV referendum did show the British public's constitutional conservatism though.
    On the one hand I'm very happy that the devo max option has been removed, but on the other I'm not so pleased they lowered the voting age. If the lowering of the voting age is enough to get them independence though I suppose I wont care as long as the government of the rest of the UK doesn't do something equally ridiculous.

Salmond said they would keep Queen Elizabeth as the head of state, but I can't imagine that going down to well with certain elements of his party. He also said Scotland would keep the pound, but if he wants to join the EU as well I imagine he is going to have a hard time of doing what he actually preaches.

Watercress's Avatar Praeses
    Her Majesty's Extraterrestrial Possessions

Whoops, I thought the poll was asking whether I would vote at all in the Referendum or not Anyway, yeah, I don't really think Scottish independence is a good idea. I quite like my British identity, and I'll rather it was maintained.

"Only Connect!...Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer."