Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Spitfire -WONDERBOLT!'s Avatar Vicarius
    Canterlot Castle, City of Canterlot, Equestria.

Default Re: Suggestions

I was think more of custom battle than anything, unless I can recuit from any era, lol. x

I'll go dig you up some pics. x
    GIVE CREDIT TO YOUR ENEMY AND LITTLE TO YOURSELF, AS IT MAKES YOUR VICTORY ALL THE GREATER!
    -Under the influence of medically prescribed drugs, please take much salt with this post, you have been warned!

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

If you don't like it, it's easy to change with PFM. But I'd rather have a standard version with the main uniform for each period, than allow very uniform for every period. So if you want something more "exotic", you can make your own version. For this, it is not difficult. just replace a "False" by "True" in some columns of the unit tables.

Hmmmmm.... Perhaps so! I need to learn how to mod nappy anyways!
    GIVE CREDIT TO YOUR ENEMY AND LITTLE TO YOURSELF, AS IT MAKES YOUR VICTORY ALL THE GREATER!
    -Under the influence of medically prescribed drugs, please take much salt with this post, you have been warned!

You're going to hate me for this Steph, But I was linked this:

http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/French_infantry.html

According to this, it wasn't until 1812 that bearskins were officially repealed, with the introduction of the beduin Uniforms, your 1807-1811 uniforms for cabiners and geniders are inaccurate if this is the case, as although shakos were approved for line geniders, the old bearskins were not repealed. So really unless we can assertain which were issued at that time, and I'd guess the bearskins, maybe both should be an option if possible?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Bearskins.The bearskins (some were made of goatskin) were re-introduced in 1789. They were worn only by some grenadiers (and carabiniers in light infantry). The soldiers liked the bearskin because it was a comfortable wear. It gave better protection against saber blow than the bicorn hat. The bearskin was more difficult to cut through than shako and had better padding than the helmet. But it was rather expensive. One of the innovations introduced in 1792 was the replacement of bearskin by the bicorn hat during campaign, march etc. while the bearskin was carried in a black waxed cloth. The bearskin suppose to last for 6 years.
    The bearskin was quite tall fur cap. According to the Decree of 1801:
    - bearskin of grenadier (line infantry) was 37.9 cm tall as measured in front
    - bearskin of foot carabinier (light infantry) was 29.8 cm tall
    - bearsksin of horse grenadier of the Guard was 31,8 cm tall
    According to Bardin Regulations issued in 1812 the
    bearskin of Guard foot chasseur was 35 cm tall
    To the bearskin were attached red plume and white cords. The white cords were officially replaced with red but the white were more usual. The grenadier bearskin had a brass plate embossed with a flaming grenade. On some plates was regimental number. The carabinier bearskin was plateless. (see picture -->). There were also grenadier bearskins without plates, even in the Old Guard in 1815. The official specification however called for the brass plate for the grenadiers.
    According to L Rousselot, in 1804 the bearskins were sometimes given as reward to distinguished line regiments but also to those who simply required them. In July 1805 the carabiniers of light infantry regiments were ordered to return their bearskins to regimental depots in preparation "for the coming campaign" and adopt shakos instead.
    At Friedland in 1807 "A shell caused a huge explosion when it hit one of Oudinot's artillery caissons, wiping out a file of Coehorn's grenadiers. The ever practical Oudinot ordered his servant to collect all the bearskins." (Arnold - "Napoleon's Triumph")

Busbies/colpacks.
    The shorter fur caps called busbies, or colpacks, became popular in light infantry. For example in 1806-07 some foot carabiniers wore them. By 1809 many voltigeurs adopted them, for example voltigeurs of 10th Light Regiment and voltigeurs in Oudinot's elite division. During the 1806 and 1807 campaigns some of the carabiniers wore bearskins with red cords and plumes. In 1811 several light regiments retained the bearskins for their carabiniers, while other regiments had their carabiniers in busbies or shakos.
    The official end of bearskins and colpacks.
    The Bardin Regulations issued in February 1812 introduced many changes. For example the bearskins and the busbies/colpacks were officially discontinued due to shortage of bear furs. The grenadiers of line infantry and carabiniers of light infantry were ordered to adopt shakos with red shevrons and red upper/lower bands. Few infantry regiments, however, incl. the 46th Line Infantry, kept their grenadiers in bearskins until 1814. These were without cords and plumes and many were without front plates. Few light outfits also kept their bearskins.

The ships are too easily demasted and routed. For example, in a typical battle involving 10 ships on either side, I can demast and route most enemy ships before they ever reach my battle line. So far in my test campaign as UK, I've won every single naval battle with 0 ships lost and captured 95% of all enemy ships.

Patrician Artifex

Then you are a good captain

Civis

one little suggestion that always bugged me since vainilla. I made a ship in mecklemburg port (forget the port name sorry >_<), and send it to spanish coast, in order to capture the ivory point in front on them , but the travel takes an impressive time of 24 turns!

that means:
    1 turn=2 weeks...24 turns=12 weeks=3 months!!!

that is three times more than first Cristobal Colon journey xD!.

So im not sure about how long could the travel i made take long..but im sure is half the distance (from germany to marocoo is roughly 4000 km and the distance between spain and cuba is 9000 km), i had never been sure why the hell CA decided to balance the naval movements points this way, i mean this doesnt make any sense from logic or strategic point of view:

imagine playing as prussia, and you decided to atack oldemburg via sea, why i should take the time to invade it with a ship when the travel takes roughly 7 turns, if i could easily move from cleves mark...or from bramdenburg itself in almost the same number of turns. Am i the only one who find this mechanic pretty silly and anticlimatic? anyone have any thoughs about this?.

I really believe yo should improve the movement points of ships, also because this is a direct buff to IA,i played a mod that made this change and england became more dangerous because they could try to invade you a bit faster for example...another good example i remember were when i was in war with ottomans and danish were my allies and they send a ship all the way around europe to their mainland,captured one territory and then decided to siege their capital...AND MADE IT!, then a couple of turns later get their ass kicked out of rumelia because ottos send three armies aggainst them xD!....sorry i dont want to take more longer the post, but i just want to say this idea, and i want to hear you opinion, do you have any plan to improve this, or it will remain vainilla?.

Edit: when i said Cristobal Colon, i was refearing to Christopher Columbus (Cristoforo Colombo), you know, the italian guy who "discovered" America.
    Last edited by B1ackwolf; April 25, 2015 at 02:41 AM.

Patrician Artifex

24 turns? That's a lot... I'll check the speed, to see if there is an error. What type of ship was it and from what faction? Because I think for the French starting fleet to go to Mecklembourg, it should be around 12 turns. But since I focused mainly on the land side of the campaign recently, I didn't check the ships in details.

I think this could be improved, but we have to be careful

If ships are really fast, it could create issue with the AI and allows exploit. Like ships very difficult to intercept because in one turn you could just "make a very large detour" to avoid a ennemy fleet (which should have move in we were in parallel real time).

May be douybling the speed could be good.

BTW
    You said : 1 turn=2 weeks...24 turns=12 weeks=3 months!!!

But: 1 turn = 2 weeks, 24 turns = 24x 2 = 48 weeks = one year....
    Last edited by Steph; April 25, 2015 at 04:55 AM.

Civis

yeah!, yeah..wait...why the hell i said three months?, sorry pal, it was the hour i think, i needed to sleep xDD, but yeah it was almost that time, i always start my campaing buying one merchant ship, december arrive and the ship wasnt even close of portugal :c.

first was prussia,i tried with two types of ships, first with a merchant ship, later with a sloop of war (one of the fastest ships) just for testing purpouse, and it was like see a race between a turtle and a snail, one was just SLIGHTY more fast that the other xD.

i tried anothers factions and it feels like thats the general speed of the fleets, if this is the case, then any western faction would be in a incredible advantage taking the points, because normally playing as spain for example, you should have two options:

A)spend money in ships and rush all the trade points.

B)spend in the army waiting until english arrive.

but since they start really close to the trade points, and ships take so long in move, they can safely take both options:
    -firsts turns spend lot off euros.
    -then spend a lot in army.
    -became dominant faction in seafare trade.
    -get a lot of income,get out of the economical crisis, be the ruler over the eurozone.
    - beatt any hater enemy who dares to come close to you.
    -???...then profit! you succesfully made spain a prominent nation again :p!.

I like the high risk, high reward plays, but this should also come with some kind of punishment in case you fail, just to make you think more carefully what you should do next .

Patrician Artifex

That's why we want a beta: to get feedback and correct this kind of things .

For tomorrow update, I'll increase the speed of ships, and so you can tell if it is better

Civis

steph ,

just an idea , i just installed american civil war 3.6 for empire , dont know if u are known with this mod ? ....there is a good atmosphere of sounds and music when actual battle is on .... feels different , retreat trumpets sound when broken , cavalry own sounds/music ...... would this be possible within NTW ?

maks

maks, that is one great game American civil war 3.6. It still needs some finishing, lack of modders. But they put lots of heart and soul on the mod.

Patrician Artifex

I don't know this mod

Civis

Indeed, something is very special about the way they edited the sounds.....it s an experience ....but i cannot explain it ....because ntw is also nice but still different .....they units seem to be more envolved in the action ? .....for example ....if an unit is nearing ....the approaching sound of the unit songs is very realistic....as with ntw you have to get really close to hear the specific tunes with the soundmods.......in acw 3.6 they are noticabe much farther away ....

jg209's Avatar Foederatus

Are you going to reskin the naval crews?

Patrician Artifex

Maybe later, when all the land units are fully done

jg209's Avatar Foederatus

I've just tested the cavalry with the update from Sirloin - much better, the cavalry are effective now, but not overpowered; the fatigue is good too.

Still one thing that bothers me is when zooming into a fight the sounds of the men screaming "ARGHH, OHH, ARGHH, OHH" is very loud and there's no way of changing the volume of their speech specifically. Does anyone else agree?

Patrician Artifex

It is possible to modify the volume individually of each part (like selection, attack, death "AAAAARRRRRGHHH", etc). And also from faction to faction (I think for instance, the Russian voices are not loud enough compared to others).
    So please list what is too loud / not enough and I can adjust.

roy64's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    It is possible to modify the volume individually of each part (like selection, attack, death "AAAAARRRRRGHHH", etc). And also from faction to faction (I think for instance, the Russian voices are not loud enough compared to others).
    So please list what is too loud / not enough and I can adjust.
    I would love to know how to change the volume of the drums/bugles, If you ever get the time could you let us know how to do it.

Patrician Artifex

This is a little complex, it requires the use of Symphony tool to decompile the sound banks. It generates XML and csv file.
    the XML associate "sound event" to "event" and "item" (exemple if "event" = selected, and "item" = "French_Grenadier_Unit", then "sound event" = "French_Grenadier_Selected".
    Then in the csv file, for each "sound event" you can define parameters, such as the volume, distance, repetition... and a list of mp3 files.

And once you have modified it, you need to recompile.

And any change in the unit table (to add, remove, rename or reorder units) need a recompilation.
    Last edited by Steph; April 29, 2015 at 05:06 AM.