Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Suggestions

We'd like to increase number of slots, but it's not sure it will work with the editor

88HaZZarD88's Avatar Tiro

one question

will be possible with the new modding tools knowledge to make the square formation more slower ?

the thing i hate more in this game is that when you hit the square formation you have already it ready to hold the position and with anti cav bonus , would be cool to have some time between you hit the square formation and the formation is ready , i think was not an easy maneuver in rl , well but you know better than me

Patrician Artifex

First, there is no new modding tools. At least for NTW.
    Second, I don't think even in the Assembly Kit for S2 this is exposed. From what I've read, the tools released by CA are more or less doing what PFM already allows (except all the tables and all the columns are exposed), and they have a "compiler" that takes care of creating a startpos from raw files.
    Which seems actually rather difficult to prepare.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    First, there is no new modding tools. At least for NTW.
    Second, I don't think even in the Assembly Kit for S2 this is exposed. From what I've read, the tools released by CA are more or less doing what PFM already allows (except all the tables and all the columns are exposed), and they have a "compiler" that takes care of creating a startpos from raw files.
    Which seems actually rather difficult to prepare.
    Yep. But new campaign maps are now possible in S2 which is pretty much the only break through. CA supplied us with a 3dsMax converter, but we already had milkshape (but the 3dsMax exporter is more stable, and plus its a much better program).

Off topic anyway.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

agunter999's Avatar Senator

Mind you if they can now edit the map maybe we can?

Patrician Artifex

We can't it's only for Shogun

@ agunter999 - The only way it will be possible is if the NTW tool developers on this community examine the S2 data (which has changed a lot since NTW anyway), and apply that to NTW tools

Although I doubt people will bother, most of them have probably moved to S2 support. Keep your fingers crossed.

But if you think we would be able to, don't you think we would of heard of it by now? Your a modder, you should understand this stuff anyway.

I'm always an optimist
    Don't forget I didn't give a time frame or say it wouldn't need examining and adapting
    As an Englishman I should be more pessimistic
    Last edited by agunter999; October 31, 2012 at 08:40 AM.

While it's always fun to be optimistic, what's the point when you can't do it yourself, or don't know anyone that can?

But we can try

We? Go ahead and give it a shot yourself.

I am telling you now, it is impossible at this point, there is literally no argument against that. Why try to do something that is impossible? Why try to fly when you have no wings?

Someone could try and develop the tools, but not "we", "we" have nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; October 31, 2012 at 08:51 PM.

We meaning the entirety of twcenter
    And yes I know it's impossible but somebody has to try or it will never happen

And yes I know it's impossible but somebody has to try or it will never happen
    People have been trying since Empire came out, but to no avail. But like I said, now that the Shogun 2 raw data has come out, someone can use that to create modding tools for the NTW map. Sitting in this thread saying "we can do it!" won't do much though. You will have to contact someone that has already be working on the subject, and someone that has EXTREME (mass emphasis on that word) dedication to do it. Because, believe me, it will be very very time consuming and difficult.

But to be honest, I think the effort would not be worth it, because it will likely take a couple of years to make a fully functional campaign modding tool. Even if one was made, don't expect something user friendly, because it will be very complex. And if one was made, it would only be able to convert everything into raw data, which is not easy to understand or mod.

Just being realistic here.

Hannarr's Avatar Civis

Make sure you have shrapnel shot research, at least for cannons. Some mods had trouble implementing this. the way TROM3 got around the problem is giving cannons quicklime shot, then changing the effect and description to shrapnel shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    People have been trying since Empire came out, but to no avail. But like I said, now that the Shogun 2 raw data has come out, someone can use that to create modding tools for the NTW map. Sitting in this thread saying "we can do it!" won't do much though. You will have to contact someone that has already be working on the subject, and someone that has EXTREME (mass emphasis on that word) dedication to do it. Because, believe me, it will be very very time consuming and difficult.

But to be honest, I think the effort would not be worth it, because it will likely take a couple of years to make a fully functional campaign modding tool. Even if one was made, don't expect something user friendly, because it will be very complex. And if one was made, it would only be able to convert everything into raw data, which is not easy to understand or mod.

Just being realistic here.
    I know all of this. At first I even had a go myself.
    Parole are actuly already trying and once the raw data is editable then a user friendly tool can be easily made.
    Personally it will proberbly take a little longer than 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by Hannarr View Post
    Make sure you have shrapnel shot research, at least for cannons. Some mods had trouble implementing this. the way TROM3 got around the problem is giving cannons quicklime shot, then changing the effect and description to shrapnel shot.
    Shrapnel was only used by the Brits at this time?
    then a user friendly tool can be easily made.
    You obviously have no programming experience, or understanding of how the NTW map is compiled.

Ok, I'll explain why it is easy for Shogun, and near impossible for NTW.

With the new modding tools for Shogun 2, they included all the raw files, one of which is a campaign map in the form of a 3dsMax file (a model). The game does not include this raw file any where inside of it, and is virtually impossible to generate one of these raw maps with the files released in any warscape game.

What I'm trying to say is that modding the campaign map is impossible without this raw campaign map file, and it is impossible to make one our self. Only one option here; CA releases this raw campaign map to us. In all other cases, it's just about impossible, believe me, I've looked into it.

And in the end, it will NOT be user friendly, believe me on this again. It wont be, and can't be, anything like "Geomod" for M2TW when you just simply paint your regions where you want them, put dots where you want towns and ports, and the pathfinding is just auto generated. Editing it will be much more complex, and can not be simplified very much at all.

You have to actually understand a lot of aspects to know where I'm coming from.
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; November 03, 2012 at 03:32 AM.

Once somebody has acquired the raw date a non user friendly program is made. A user friendly program can then be made, or at least one that anyone can use

Patrician Artifex

First part of the sentence invalidates every thing else. "Once somebody acquired raw data" will not happen. CA will NOT release anything about NTW, it has been made very clear.
    They don't even answer any question anymore.

So now, if you want to discuss it create a thread somewhere else, and please go back to suggestion for the mod.

Hannarr's Avatar Civis

It is true that only the British had shrapnel shells at the time (they were introduced in 1803). i feel is should be introduced as research for the other factions, at varying difficulties (i.e. British start with it researched/early researchable, french and germans have it further down tree ect.)

That's a fairly good idea.

I would also like to see other variations of this, like the French and Russian navies able to research the "Razzee" frigate that the Brits invented (only example I can think of right now )