Thread: I seem to have lost all sound

Default I seem to have lost all sound

Hey guys. I have just installed NER+, eager to give it a try after good experiences with Empire realism

But after successfully installing everything all sounds have stopped working. I've poked around in the system, looked in the forums a bit and I can't figure out why it happened.

Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know how to fix it?

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: I seem to have lost all sound

Yeah I just downloaded the NER+ and I have no sound.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Strange. Is there any recent NTW vanilla patch/update after my last NER+ release?

I need to replicate the steps obviously, i haven't played/touched anything in this regard since i released the last NER+ version (which hadn't any issues), so it might be another new NTW vanilla patch "disturbs" now ( once again ).

However, please re-check the NER/NER+ install instructions carefully, and report back if you did it exactly after the instructions, because actually i can't remember that we touched sounds files in any of our mod files.
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 16, 2012 at 10:02 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Patrician Artifex

Nope, i just checked the thing, there is nothing that i can replicate.

NTW vanilla got not a new patch nor any other change.
    Further on, i started and played NER+ without any issues, game and campaign mode has sound and battle mode as well, a started test battle ran fine as it should.

You have an installation issue on your side, please take my advice from my post above (check NER/NER+ install instructions carefully).
    In most cases users forget to uninstall former (incompatible) mod files or just don't consider user.script/mod manager things.

Best general advice:
    1. Provide a NTW vanilla, check that out (function).
    2. Install NER 2.0, check that out (function).
    3. Install NER+. Must work then.
    4. Optional: Install any NER/NER+ compatible mods.
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 16, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Thanks for the reply. I added NER+ to a fresh install of NTW and everything works with the mod fine except the sound. I will try to track down what is going on. I am just a a loss since everything else is working.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I added NER+ to a fresh install of NTW and everything works with the mod fine except the sound. I will try to track down what is going on. I am just a a loss since everything else is working.
    Still i recommend to check out first, if your NTW vanilla works as it should (with sound). Then second, NER 2.0 (with sound), then third NER+ (with sound?).
    When first with NER+, the sound "escapes", then i'm alarmed, but comicably, NER+ works for me like a charm, so there is still the option that in the last step (NER+), the installation failed for whatever reason.
    I've just improved slightly the NER+ install-instructions (see NER+ thread), please compare your way of installation.

But actually important is, that you use the latest NTW vanilla version via Steam update.
    And then no other active NTW mods, which have potential for an incompatibility, just in case you have applied user.script and/or Mod Manager for former used NTW mods, check that out.

Another thing is, or suggestion, you can delete the whole roaming NTW folder ... hope you know where it is (AppData/...).
    This roaming NTW folder will be generated anew when you start the game, you can save a former used preferences file (content of the roaming NTW folder) which holds your individual settings for the game, and put it back after the new generation. Ie. it is possible that the battle-related file of that roaming NTW folder hinders the mod to work properly (it saves used units in battle mode, and as NER+ comes with a lot added units, that might be the culprit).

Edit: One thing comes to my mind, but never popped up as of yet for NER/NER+ - different language versions, perhaps there is something, i don't know.

If you can't solve the item as for the experience "lost sounds", check out also the general NTW workshop/tech-help, perhaps there are threads somewhere related to mod usage and lost sound (?).

Another tip or advice:
    Play NTW mods like NER/NER+ only Steam offline (Steam active, but offline), our mods are not designed to play them online ie. vs. other NTW players, it would need exactly the same NER/NER+ installation to play that online properly for the Mod online participants (but then it should work).
    Go Steam online for the NTW patch processes, and ie. the file error-check (which repairs eventually your NTW file structure, if needed). Afterwards go Steam offline.
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 17, 2012 at 01:22 PM.

Thanks again. I did try to play with Steam online so I will try offline. If need be I will just delete NTW and start over checking the functionality a step at a time.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post
    Thanks again. I did try to play with Steam online so I will try offline. If need be I will just delete NTW and start over checking the functionality a step at a time.
    Uninstalling NTW is not necessary, not at all. Actually i don't understand recommendations into this direction which i read here and there from time to time. I'm really not a Steam fan, but Steam has the one real good advantage of repairing bugged or changed files/installations due to mod usage or modding - i have ETW, NTW and S2 (everyone since release), did diverse mods for every title, and i never ever uninstalled/reinstalled one of them.

What you have to do is: Remove all mods (the single files or disable them), remove the AppData/roaming folder. Go Steam online, go into properties of NTW, and run the file error-check routine (the analysis and eventual reparation takes some time), the result should be a bugfree vanilla game (if there is a bugged file structure or missing files).
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 17, 2012 at 01:25 PM.

billydilly's Avatar Senator

I'm having the same problem. No sound on campaign map and in battles. But the intro has sound.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

billydilly's Avatar Senator

Problem solved. I deleted the NTW Roaming Folder, verified the cache and I got the sound back
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W