Thread: The Circle is almost complete

Newman55f9's Avatar Foederatus

Default The Circle is almost complete

What now seems like an eternity ago I met up with Toon through TWC and became his main historical researcher for what was eventually to become the TAR Mod. It was my first venture related to computer games other than playing them on occasion.

In about a week a short film commissioned by the maker of Assassin's Creed Three (set in the AWI period) will be released on Youtube and I had the good fortune of landing a supporting role in it for myself as well as three comrades in the 55th Regiment (two of which had previous stage combat experience). So I have gone from helping in the creation of a mod for a computer game to almost being in one! I also was used as a historical consultant, but I am sure it will be no surprise to anyone that historical accuracy was not an overriding objective as the game is pretty much a fantasy version of history. Still from my perspective, if it sparks even a slight interest in the American War for Independence it has done some good.

I can certainly post the link here when the film comes out. The 55th Foot is of course in TAR as well as in this film, but that is a bit of a weak thread, so if this post offends anyone I am certainly willing to take it down, but I feel like I have made friends here through TAR and thought it might be of interest.

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Default Re: The Circle is almost complete

That is great news Newman.
    I already noticed this upcoming new game and it is surely on my ''to buy'' list.
    Must have been fun hey?

I think everybody who visits the TAR forums and who has an interest in the TAR period will be looking forward to this game.

Keep us posted mate

Flikitos's Avatar Libertas aut Mortis

Yep that will be a great game, but... a shame that the units are not historically correct.

Newman55f9's Avatar Foederatus

Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate the support.

Yes Morgan it was fun! It will be be clear why when you see it, but I am keeping hush hush about any details until it is released.

Flikitos, I couldn't agree more. My first thought on seeing the in game videos was I wished I could have been consulted on the uniforms for that, but when you look at the above screen shot, with uniforms that take bits and pieces from different times in history and add in altogether new items, I think it was a pretty deliberate attempt to make the uniforms "cool" in the game design team's eyes. Pity really.

Fortunately, the producer of the short film wanted the uniforms to look right, and took extra time and effort to make them more than acceptable. It would have been much cheaper for them to get cheesy Halloween costumes, but they didn't do that. They hired us and obtained very high quality costumes for the other actors.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Newman - If I had it my way Altair or Connor or whatever the clown in the white KKK outfit is, would have taken a bullet from one of my 5th Northumberland Grenadiers hehehehe