Thread: Is slave trade broken in DM 8.0? And other problems...

Default Is slave trade broken in DM 8.0? And other problems...

Hi,

First post at these forums, but a long-time player of RTW. I downloaded DM 8.0 the first night available, and have been playing it quite a bit the last few days. For the most part, and from what I've seen so far, it has been a brilliant mod. I've only had a chance to play the RTW portion of the mod, and not the BI portion.

I've started most of the factions to see how they are set up and I'm happy with the way most of them are set up.

However, there are some things that seem to be left only half-done.

Slave trade, as per the title, seems to be broken. After capturing a settlement and enslaving, there are no slave resources showing in the territory, and no population growth from slaves.

I have, however, seen the slave symbol in the middle of the sea, after slave ships have defeated those of my own.

The faction start positions shown on the map for the Europa 270 campaign are pretty wildly off in some respects. Is there a plan to fix this, or are we going to be stuck with it?

The Roman Campaign seems to be fairly hosed, with a major economic imbalance given the size of the forces on the map. Even with the Senate freebies, taking Cannae and Segesta in the first few turns, and using autocalcs to bleed off extra Roman forces, the 15000 denari are eaten through in less than 4 turns, and then you are still stuck with inferior forces in Italy against a host of enemies, bleeding more denari a turn than you make, with no way to improve your infrastructure.

Some of the unit cards still have translator notes on them. I seem to recall that one of them was for the boats.

I noticed that you have a 5/10/15 % happiness bonus for each of the road levels, but IMO, they should be law bonuses instead. The people of the day probably didn't jump for joy with the prospect of a roads being built in their lands, but the governing entities surely were able to more easily exert their influence, power, and rule of law, with increasingly efficient road structures throughout their controlled lands.

Anyhow, that's enough for now. Take care, and thanks for all the hard work that went into this mod. In spite of my criticisms, this is without a doubt, the best one that I've tried so far.

Default Re: Is slave trade broken in DM 8.0? And other problems...

Slave trade..in which campaign..the imperial or the others?
    Europa 270 wildly off = ?
    Roman campaign difficulty issue....I think it is maint to be difficult this way.

Boat translator notes....hmm ok do not mind but tks telling me
    road happiness...you are correct. I wanted to put this also but I did it for gameplay reasons since there were many other law bonuses and if there is a mis-balance law-happiness bonuses in a region..the leader gets too many martial law traits. So I had to balance the riot threshold with good and stable trait bonuses for the leaders and town functioning.
    Just see the outcome...do not read this. (I agree I repeat)

Welcome to TWcenter.

IIRC, there's no actual benefit of pop growth from slavery in vanilla anyway (the icons show up, but the pop numbers don't change properly), so I wouldn't sweat the placement of the icons. Unless someone found a workaround for that bug while I was away? [hope]

Quote Originally Posted by Pode
    IIRC, there's no actual benefit of pop growth from slavery in vanilla anyway (the icons show up, but the pop numbers don't change properly), so I wouldn't sweat the placement of the icons. Unless someone found a workaround for that bug while I was away? [hope]
    i clearly remember getting town growth messages after enslaving on the vanilla map and also on the europa 270 bc map

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH VADER
    Slave trade..in which campaign..the imperial or the others?
    In the Europa 270 campaign. I haven't yet played the others. I've been too busy with starting each of the factions and getting a taste for the starting positions. Like a kid in a candy store, I want to sample everything...

Europa 270 wildly off = ?
    Wildly! Yes, look at the start positions on the map for the Seleucids, Parthians, and Scythians in particular. Then, open any of these factions to start a game. You'll see that the map sections indicated before you start the game do not correspond to those that you start with. The Gauls show a province owned in the Iberian peninsula that they don't start with, and there are two that they start with that the map shows unowned. The Greeks show on the map as having a bunch of colonies all over the place that they don't actually start with. The Numidians are misrepresented on the map. The Spanish, as well. Yes...wildly off.

Welcome to TWcenter.
    Thanks! It's my pleasure, and I'm glad to be of any assistance in making a great mod, even greater.

Quote Originally Posted by Pode
    I remember slavery growth bonuses working in vanilla. When it might not have been working properly (if ever) I don't know.

It isn't just that though, that is missing. There is no appearance of slave resources in the settlement trade details window. Thus, there is no temporary boost to the neighboring economies from the slave trade.

Quote Originally Posted by jw1089
    i clearly remember getting town growth messages after enslaving on the vanilla map and also on the europa 270 bc map
    Yes, that's correct. See my above post, though. The slaves are indeed distributed upon the conquest and enslavement of a settlement, but it is the subsequent effects that are missing (no slave resources generated in the settlement, leading to no additional growth, or trade).

Angel's Avatar Angeal

To be honest I dont think so. When I enslaved an pop from an city i just conq it boosts all my towns in the area and more income .

I do remeber seein an slave icon when i do that. Are you enslavin?
    Under the patronage of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Angel
    To be honest I dont think so. When I enslaved an pop from an city i just conq it boosts all my towns in the area and more income .

I do remeber seein an slave icon when i do that. Are you enslavin?
    Yes, I am. Please see the above explanations and recheck your results. No slave resources are generated, so there is no additional growth from slaves occurring on a per turn basis, and there is no slave trade between settlements. Each of these should show on your settlement details and trade details pages. They don't in DM 8.0.

I am stating something different from what you are seeing. What you see is the instantaneous distribution of the slaves throughout settlements that have governors, and the recalculation of the settlement's proportionalized net "profits". That aspect is not broken in DM 8.0.

i see. then i guess its extermination for all!

Well...I discovered what the problem was. It seems that whoever built the map and created the descr_strat.txt file neglected to put the slaves resource in for a huge proportion of the territories.

Looks like I've got some editing to do, if I want this aspect to play correctly again...

In imperial campaign or some of the others?

In imperial campaign or some of the others?
    My apologies. All of my playing so far has been with the Europa 270 campaign. I just briefly looked at the Imperial Campaign, and it appears to be okay. It seems that the descr_strat.txt file was properly augmented for the Imperial Campaign, but for the Europa 270 campaign it wasn't constructeed very completely. Many settlements aren't listing their x,y coordinates which makes building out the resource locations for the slaves very tedious.

Sorry if this caused any confusion, but I hadn't even opened the Imperial Campaign, since I figured it would have remained fairly "vanilla".