Thread: [DUEL] ybbon66 vs. Rex Anglorvm - WINNER

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default [DUEL] ybbon66 vs. Rex Anglorvm - WINNER

Finally we are here, the winner moment - oh and what a moment it will be.

Tales will be told, poems will be sold, and lessons will be bold for the winner of this triumphant tourney, this daring duel, this colossus challenge has been announced...

...and it is...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Rex Anglorvm

May he be lavished with luxuries, given gifts, and burdened with bonanzas for he has defeated a fiery foe, a marvellous moderator, a cool contender...

That is right, he has beaten:

ybbon66

Now we are just waiting for the aftermath...

The Winning Wonder

The Bear

The rough looking youth poked a stick through the bars of the cage to rile the ‘Bear’; you must understand that he wasn’t a real bear, oh no, not in the hanging about in the woods, eating honey and wading through rivers to catch the stray salmon way.

Oh no.

He was a man, well sort of, the villagers thought he was a man-beast, the more vile rumourmongers amongst the local people even said that his mother had been impregnated by an escaped rampant circus bear.

Other more logical and right minded people said that he was merely an unfortunate soul who God had misshapen for some past misdemeanour of a long forgotten ancestor.

Unfortunately for the bear the villagers who held the ‘rampant bear’ theory held sway in the village council, and he had been locked in the cage, ready to be abused, debased and generally mocked and gawped at by all and sundry.

I had arrived in the village to write a story for my newspaper, I thought that it would make a great story, and so had set off a week ago to travel by train and then horse and cart to reach this flyspeck village that was located at the rear end of the world.

I had convinced my editor to finance by little expedition, my first foray alone away from the shores of the United Kingdom, so here I was in deepest rural France, a lone woman, a foreigner and a reporter too boot, no wonder the locals looked at me with a combination of mistrust and ridicule.

Don’t misunderstand me I had enough French to get by and make myself understood, I was after all the first woman in my family to reach University, this was a time after all when women where deemed only suitable for the home, but with a lot of determination and a refusal to quit I had managed to not only finish my degree but also become the first female to become an active field reporter for a national newspaper, albeit with a small circulation.

Anyhow, enough of the back-story as we say in journalism, let us be on with the tale.

‘Please young man will you leave the bear alone?! I wish to talk to him’, I used my most authoritative voice, the one that I am told resembles a no-nonsense English nanny.

The youth looked at me with a smirk, ‘You will be lucky, he doesn’t talk, he will just want to ravish you!’, he looked at me with a lascivious leer, at which I looked down my glasses and sneered at him, he quickly beetled away to leave me alone with the bear.

I approached the cage with some trepidation I can tell you, what I saw stunned me into a five minute silence as I stood taking in every aspect of the bear’s physicality and facial features.

He was hunched over, his forearms hugging the front of his shins, I had never since anything like it, he had hair over his entire body, not the usual hair that can be found on a man, although a woman of fine virtue and good repute, I have seen the nakedness of men whilst covering the crime desk for a colleague on his weekly holiday to Brighton, although to be truthful both were corpses in a mortuary.

No, the hair on his body was the shaggy brown hair that you would see on a bear, or perhaps a large hunting dog, his features though were human in shape, although with a bear like snout for a nose to spoil what otherwise would have been the most wonderful yet sad blue eyes I had ever seen.

He moved slightly and his legs came apart, I was shocked, I can remember my face burning red with embarrassment, as I realised he had been left completed unclothed, as I caught more than a fleeting glance of his member.

I turned my back to regain my composure, I was almost ready to face the creature again and to begin my questioning and renew my study of the bear when I heard a strong, primeval voice.

‘What do you want of me?’

I turned around and to my amazement saw the bear standing upright, holding his hands in front of him to conceal his manliness.

‘Did you speak?’ I shook my head, surely not; everything I had been told about him by the villagers meant that he could not talk.

The bear replied, ‘Well there’s nobody else, so it must have been me?’

I was amazed, but my professionalism took hold and I began the interview, ‘but they said you could not talk, why don’t you speak? They would free you!’

The bear shook his head sadly, ‘they would not free me, as long as I am here they get people travelling like you to stare at me, and that brings money to their cesspit of a village. I spoke to a man once, he was told to keep quiet or they would kill him painfully, they told me the same too.’

I was horrified, if this was true, then I also could be in danger, what’s more the bear was risking his life by talking to me. There and then I made up my mind to help the bear, but first of all I would ask the question that was in the forefront of mind. ‘How did you end up here and how did you end up as you are….you know in your present form as such?’

The question hung there unanswered for what seemed like an eternity until the bear seemed to judge that he could trust me with more than just his life.

‘I have always been here, I was born in the village, my mother died when I was born and my father is unknown, though some say he was a bear’, a wry grin showed on his features here, catching me unawares with this show of undisguised humanity. ‘My form is the body that has imprisoned me for my whole life, this cage the prison that holds my form and this life my cage of existence. Free me, please?’

‘How?’ I looked at the huge iron padlock that secured a massive chain that wound around the door to the cage, a length of chain hanging free.

‘You misunderstand me, I wish you to free me from this life.’

My heart almost stopped beating, if I understood correctly the bear wanted me to kill him. ‘You mean kill you?’

The bear nodded.

He then knelt on the floor of the cage and slipped his head between the bars nearest the length of chain, ‘Wind the chain around my neck and use the bars as leverage, it should be quick, I cannot do this alone, I need somebody outside to help. I beg of you, quickly before one of the villagers come back!’

My hands shook, my head said no, but I remembered those eyes again and I gathered the dangling chain, and pulled as hard as I could, the bear did not struggle, did not scream or curse, he died with the most beautiful smile on his face, a smile that signalled his freedom.

I sit in my office now, some thirty years later, I am now editor of the highest circulation newspaper in the country, but I remember the Bear, and I never printed his story, it remains for me and my conscience alone.

The Close Second

Pavels Bear

“Momma, Poppa, can I have a bear when I grow up?” the little boy asked his parents as he swung between their arms, laughing and smiling at them in turn, his mother in that sweet way that mothers have replied “Pavel, we only have a small flat and no garden, look at this big enclosure the bear lives in? We don’t have anywhere near enough room for us, and you and your little brother or sister – whichever my bump turns into.” He turned to his father, “Poppa, could you make some more room for us so we could have room for a bear too?” With a rumbling laugh, he too replied, “Pavel, where would I make room? We can't have a real bear, but perhaps we can save a few Roubles here and there and buy you a big toy bear instead?”

Pavels disappointment showed momentarily as he realised that his dream for his own bear would not come true, but knowing how hard his parents worked he knew he couldn't sulk or be mad at them for this, “Poppa, if I save some of my Kopeks too, we could buy two smaller bears, one for me and one for the bump?”, his mother turned away as a small tear formed in the corner of her eye and rolled down her cheek, then turned back, scooping Pavel up and giving him a hug, “Pavel,” his father said, “that is a very fine attitude to have, you'll grow up into a handsome, brave and generous man," "and strong!" Pavel interrupted, "yes of course, strong too. We'll save some money together and then we shall split it to get two bears.” Pavel squealed delightedly as his mother tickled and hugged him to her. “Now Pavel, where shall we go next? The tigers or the monkeys?” his father asked, “we've got time to visit one or the other before the zoo closes”.

Pavel sat looking through his shoebox of memories with his sister, and as he picked up the zoo tickets the memory flooded back of their trip to the zoo when he was eight years old, “this was a couple of months before you were born Irina, do you remember that old bear you had, Mr Paws? And mine was called Boris? That was what me and Poppa saved up for though in truth I think it was Poppa more than me, I think my Kopeks went on sweets more than the bears”. Smiling fondly he turned to his sister holding the zoo ticket. “Mr Paws! I haven't thought of him in ages”, exclaimed his sister who was enjoying the reminiscing with her older brother. She smiled back, “you know, I think he is still around somewhere, battered maybe but, hang-on”, she jumped up from the sofa they were sitting on and ran to her old bedroom.

Pavel got up slowly, taking both glasses of vodka and the bottle with him as he followed her in to the room to find her burrowing into the bottom of her old wardrobe throwing things out as she did. So far she'd thrown some old sweaters and blouses, a pair of battered hiking boots, a tennis racket with tape on the rim and some missing strings, and a few books that had seen better days. “See, I knew Mr Paws hadn't been thrown away”, his sister pulled an old brown teddy bear with one eye and a leg hanging by a thread, “and look Pavel, here is your Boris as well!”, she exclaimed, holding an even more threadbare teddy bear up, a panda with a white tummy, black legs and arms and a white face, ears and nose on a black head.

“Irina, you scoundrel you!” Pavel put down the glasses and pretended to punch his sister on the nose, “you had Boris all along! I thought he was lost forever.” Irina blushed a little and giggled, “I think I borrowed him for a dolls tea-party and I just forgot to return him, can you ever forgive me!” Pavel tried looking stern and unforgiving, a look that worked on his staff but had no impact at all on his little sister who knew him far too well to fall for that old trick, “Well I suppose I can, I tell you what though, I have an idea for something really special, come on let's go talk it over”.

A couple of months later, an old man and woman were helped out of a black Range Rover, outside of a log cabin deep in the woods. The summer heat was easing off this evening, and the gentle hum of insects and bird song started to fill in the gulf left now the engine had turned off. Pavel opened the cabin door from inside, “Momma, Poppa, I have a surprise for you”. They turned to each other and looked quizzically at each other, but just shrugged as neither had any idea what was going on. Their feet crunched on the gravel as they walked up to the door, Pavel opened it wide for them and Irina helped them over the step, “Momma, poppa, I know you'll like this”.

The siblings led their parents to the back of the cabin, and out to the porch and settled them at a bench with cold lemonade on the table. Either side of the jug sat a teddy bear, a Panda one side and a brown bear the other both showing signs of recent repair, smiling fondly, the old lady picked them up, “Boris and Mr Paws, you found them!” Pavel turned to them both, “Momma, Poppa, you remember when I asked if we could have a bear? And you said we had no room so Poppa and I saved”, he stopped and patted his fathers arm, “well, Poppa saved in truth, and we got these two teddy bears for Irina and I? Well now I've made my millions so I thought perhaps we could get the room for some real bears now, if you stay quiet and watch the forest edge they should be here soon”, his father turned and started to say something, but Irina put her finger to her lips and then pointed to one side.

With a grunt, a mother bear slowly edged into the clearing, sniffing the air, she let out a call and two cubs bounded and rolled into the clearing, playing with each other.

Pavels mother looked at them and then at Irina and Pavel and finally her husband, with tears streaming down her face she could contain her joy now longer, “Oh Ivan, see, Pavel has his bear at last”.

THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    Administrator Emeritus

Default Re: [DUEL] ybbon66 vs. Rex Anglorvm - WINNER

Oh no, 2-0 to Citizen Rex (isn't that a bit of an oxymoron?) - Curses. And congratulations to Rex again.

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Congrats to Rex and fantastic to see that damn bold blue guy humiliated! I was torn between choosing one of the two, because I quite enjoyed both stories

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Boustrophedon View Post
    Congrats to Rex and fantastic to see that damn bold blue guy humiliated! I was torn between choosing one of the two, because I quite enjoyed both stories
    Thank you Boust, I'm glad you enjoyed our little duel

Quote Originally Posted by ybbon66 View Post
    Oh no, 2-0 to Citizen Rex (isn't that a bit of an oxymoron?) - Curses. And congratulations to Rex again.
    Thanks ybbon66, yet again I thought your tale was wonderfully written, I just have a talent for spinning a plot.

I will post this in the CW section so it can get added to the Hall.

Administrator Emeritus

Are you trying to say I've lost the plot?

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

Quote Originally Posted by ybbon66 View Post
    Are you trying to say I've lost the plot?
    Who? Me? Never.....

Congratulations Citizen Rex

Here be your reward:

The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Administrator Emeritus

There is a distinct tender tendency to salivate about focus on delicious beef curry here which I find very tasty troubling!

Wrong. Look at the image URL
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Congratulations Rex! I really enjoyed your story!

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    Congratulations Citizen Rex

Here be your reward:

That does look good.

Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    Wrong. Look at the image URL
    Buffalo Stew! May you tail feathers be plucked by a large and savage cat!

I reckon Robin would work well in this recipe, probably need a few more Robins given they are scraggly weedy little birds
    Last edited by Ybbon; October 13, 2012 at 06:00 AM.

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Congrattulations Rex!

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Citizen

Blog Entries

In before the archive.