Thread: Cultural differences...

Default Cultural differences...

So I downloaded XGM the other day - absolutely fantastic mod.

Anyway, I've been playing through a campaign as the Roman Republic, and am in the process of eliminated Carthage in Spain - having driven them out of Africa previously, and needing the lands and incomes for an eventual face off with a huge Seleucid Empire.

My issue, is that Carthage have started building Eastern Culture Colonies in their (many) Spanish settlements- with native barbarian culture - leading to public order between 0-40% in the settlements I take. Although distance from capital is an issue along with squalor etc, the biggest factor is huge numbers of angry easterners. As there is no way to destroy colony structures, am I correct to believe the only real solution here is to build a Western culture colony in every settlement, whilst spamming diplomats to convert them all?

If so;

1) will the Western culture colony replace the Eastern culture colony?

2) how on earth do I hold a settlement for the 8 turns required to build a colony? (and do I get a refund if/when they rebel and throw me out and the structure is not finished). Is Martial law/pacification the best (most cost effective) option?

3) am I correct to believe that until I build a western colony, the official culture of my settlement will be native and that therefore any western culture I get in is no better than eastern culture?

Default Re: Cultural differences...

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ing-barbarians

Hope that helps.

Try search next time! I'm glad you didn't name your thread "Question" or "Help".

LucretiusTC's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Cultural differences...

Quote Originally Posted by eculop View Post
    1) will the Western culture colony replace the Eastern culture colony?

2) how on earth do I hold a settlement for the 8 turns required to build a colony? (and do I get a refund if/when they rebel and throw me out and the structure is not finished). Is Martial law/pacification the best (most cost effective) option?

3) am I correct to believe that until I build a western colony, the official culture of my settlement will be native and that therefore any western culture I get in is no better than eastern culture?
    1) When you build a Western culture colony, it doesn't replace the Eastern culture colony. But when your new colony is ready it will increase the influence of your own culture and bring certain economic benefits. You should use Diplomats at the same to covert a local population to favour your own culture. Neighbouring regions will also affect how quickly or slowly population will convert to the other Culture.

2) When you try to controll very troublesome settlement, you should use one of your very best Governors like Faction Leader, Faction Heir or other very capable General who has very high rating in management. A big garrison will also help at the certain level. Personally I prefer to build a Colony instead of Martial Law.

3) Yes, as long as there is no Western colony, either Barbarians or Easterners will cause unrest if you play e.g. Romans or Greeks. If there is only one only non-Western Colony, then there is usually no need to convert to population.

I think Cultural mechanism works roughly like this.