Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone up for a game?

Default Anyone up for a game?

Thinking of playing so that each player would play during different leader of the faction. Meaning that when the leader dies the player will save the game and pass on to another. Might have an interesting historical feel about it I hope

Details could be agreed on if there is anyone willing to play.
    Last edited by joorik; July 24, 2006 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Just felt too incomplete.

Default Re: Anyone up for a game?

sounds cool bring on the details!!

too bad we couldnt each take a family member and duke it out for the kingship maybe a mod will come along that will let us do that, but it would be too easy to interfere with ones dude.

ha the problem with these multiplayer games is if somebody has a game crushing ctd everybody loses.
    Last edited by Hells Bells; July 25, 2006 at 11:03 AM.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Sounds interesting. Ill give it a try.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Oh, sry I forgot I even made this thread. Silly me

Well the main thing we need to agree on is (ofcourse) the civilization that is going to be played. Since I posted the thread in TE area I probably meant the mod to be played to be TE too, but that can be agreed on also if another mod is wanted. Difficulty settings also.

Also graphic setting need to be set beforehand, especially the unit size. I'm not sure how the game works in that area, but it seems atleast some of the graphic settings are saved with in the save game files. So can the save even be loaded if the settings are different? Hopefully someone will give insight on this one.

About the game itself. As I said I'd like to play a game where each player plays during the era of one faction leader. Meaning when the leader dies he will save and pass the game on. Also I would NOT like it to go in circles (meaning that a player that has already played can't play again in the same game again, even after some other people have already had their time). And should it be allowed for players to change the faction heir or not?

We might need to draw straws on who starts first.

Would like for players to post screenshots and descriptions of their doings etc. I know it takes more time, but on the other hand it's quite nice to read that stuff to know what you were after and then beat your ideas to the ground, ha! :-)

I put this in a different post for more clearance.

Faction: Maybe you've got some suggestions, I really don't know. Played romans quite a bit, but maybe it's time for something completely different.

Difficulty: vh/h or vh/vh. First one is more realistic while the other one wont let you run over opponents that easily.

Unit scale: I've mostly played with medium unit scale, but to be more epic and interesting I think huge groups would suit this game the best. That probably means that graphics need to be set lower for better performance.

Mod: I'd play it in TE 5.1. Unless gold comes out by the time were done discussing this stuff

Would like some feedback on this one, if you still remember this thread and would like to play.

Not going to participate (to busy with my Greek campaign and other stuff), but just a suggestion from me. Why not change the unit size in preferences.txt to 120 instead of 80 (Large)? Huge unit size can be very demanding on a PC sometimes.

im confused on whats going on, is this an online thing?

Taelok's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by communisto
    im confused on whats going on, is this an online thing?
    Basically, one person will start a game on their own and will play a faction until their faction leader dies. At this point, the person will save the game and send the save game file (via e-mail) to the person who's turn it is next. They will then load up the save and play until the next faction leader dies etc etc.

Only dream I ever have. Is it the surface of the Sun?
    Everytime I shut my eyes, it's always the same.

Flogger's Avatar Senator

That's a succession campaign, there were a number of them done w/ vanilla RTW and 1 w/ TE 4.0.

Ha, so there is a name for this

oooooooooooooo, i get it now, sounds cool, ill be in it, how about just large unit size though?

Having just tried Huge size I think large would be better also... with 1 stack vs 1 stack it seemed ok, but when sides met it already seemed to get a bit slower, so 3 stacks on one field would mean a disaster for my PC
    Last edited by joorik; July 30, 2006 at 04:57 PM. Reason: One word for clearance

Still waiting for suggestions for faction...

Vanquisher's Avatar Campidoctor

A well balanced one would be best for multiple users to have a good game, for example Carthage or Eygpt, maybe even Macedon or Spain even....

Out of those four I'd prefer Iberians(Spain). Weak units to start with + no heavy cavalary. Early confrontation with the much stronger Carthage and later facing either strong barbarians or strong Rome should make this game interesting

Carthage just seems more made for pc to offer a reasonable resistance to Rome. Too strong to be interesting.

Macedon is in an interesting place that might offer quite a few battles, but then again once Creece is taken the game would be pretty much over already. Or maybe I just think that way to find other justification not to play instead of pure hatred for phalanxes.

Egypt... well fighting in the deserts with huge areas between towns just takes away the interest imo.

Anyway, waiting for posts from people that were interested in playing.
    Also... when others played the succession campaigns, was there any problems with saves not working on other players computers? If yes then why?

how about pontus?

Taelok's Avatar Senator

Parthia is always challenge

Only dream I ever have. Is it the surface of the Sun?
    Everytime I shut my eyes, it's always the same.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Well, how about SPQR? Should be challenging enough on high difficulty settings.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

I would like Communisto and Xu Xiang Long(sent him a private message for a reminder) to give their opinions also. Otherwise we could just pretty much start playing since 4 faction leaders might already be enough to finish this campaign.

Anyway, how can we choose the order of players?

dice?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast