Thread: RTW Battles Tips, Advice and Tactics discussion

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Default RTW Battles Tips, Advice and Tactics discussion

TWC members can post comments in here to:

• Ask for tips and advice in RTW battles.
    • Give tips and advice to members for RTW battles.

Topics can include troop types, maps, battle deployment, tactics etc...
    Do not post comments here, asking for technical support, questions about the hotseat campaigns or cheating.

See this thread for links to important RTW information and support.
    Last edited by IZob; October 07, 2012 at 05:41 AM.
    Contact me on Steam: steamcommunity.com/id/IZob/ or send a PM.

Laetus

Default Re: RTW Battles Tips, Advice and Tactics discussion

Pardon my ignorance but is there any hotkey to advance the battle line a few steps ahead holding its present formation instead of left-clicking on units individually and then right clicking where and how we want them to stand??

TheFoolOnTheHill's Avatar Centenarius

You can just select the ones you want all at the same time and click where you want them to go, but it is not perfect.
    Crème tangerine and Montelimar,A ginger sling with a pineapple heart,A coffee dessert, yes, you know it's good news,But you have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,Cool cherry cream, nice apple tart,I feel your taste all the time we're apart,Coconut fudge really blows down those blues,But you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,You might not feel it now,When the pain cuts through,You're going to know and how,The sweat is going to fill your head,When it becomes too muchYou'll shout aloud,You'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,You know that what you eat you are,But what is sweet now turns so sour,We all know Ob-la-di-bla-da,But can you show me where you are?Crème tangerine and Montelimar,A ginger sling with a pineapple heart,A coffee dessert, yes, you know it's good news,But you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffleYes, you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle. Savoy Truffle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a9TMpAwwBw

Hold ALT then click.
    Smilies...the resort of those with a vacuous argument

How do people assess the Rome vs. Macedon matchup? Rome wins substantially if I recall correctly, but I remember some people saying Macedon had a chance.

my advice is if you are newbie select a roman faction for your first games to test your strategic skills and how you react against more experienced players or newbies like u.After your first games you will have the experience to choose a different faction and try yourself against random players.You will have the opportunity to join a clan if you like to taste different experience of MP rtw game.Good luck Newbies.

Do you guys have any advice tactically for a newbie? I've played campaign all of the time and it's quite hard transitioning over to MP

"The Pope?... How many divisions does he have?"
    - Joseph Stalin(attributed)

Put your g/g Urbans in testudo to soak up pilla and then to hold and break the advancing armys formation.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebudude View Post
    Do you guys have any advice tactically for a newbie? I've played campaign all of the time and it's quite hard transitioning over to MP
    Learn to master cavalry. About 80% of a battle (CWB 12.5k/15k) is won or lost by the cavalry fight. Become a cavalry expert and you'll find yourself doing great things.

May I ask why the kiwi/zekey guides were deleted and were could I find them? I wanted to test them on multiplayer, they were named "faction guides" or "tactic guides" I think... some1 know anything?? or else, maybe a link to good cwb army build guides

thx

Sadly the thread linking to useful things like faction guides and cwb rules was deleted some time ago (why who knows). You could try looking at the posts from 2009, but it may be that someone bumped the thread so you could end up trawling through 30 pages of threads to find the guides.

You could try contacting Zeke at http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...ters-of-Sorrow and see if he still has/is willing to send you them.

Can someone tell me a good build for Macedon on 15k money and cwb rules

Mr Longbowman's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Nabbersnawaz View Post
    Can someone tell me a good build for Macedon on 15k money and cwb rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythodea View Post
    Learn to master cavalry. About 80% of a battle (CWB 12.5k/15k) is won or lost by the cavalry fight. Become a cavalry expert and you'll find yourself doing great things.
    I realize this was 2 years ago, but I'll answer it anyway as part of my great Sunday nostalgia-trip crisis. The reason I quoted both of these comments is because I think they address the same question; how to win at Rome more generally and how to win as Macedon specifically.

The name of the game of Rome Total War is how to figure out ways of either isolating enemy units and taking them down with sheer force, or hit them in the rear. Usually these are interchangeable. One of the big problems that Greece has is that, a problem none of the other phalanx-countries suffer from, is that there flanking units are non-existent (besides archers). As such, you end up relying on expensive and difficult to replace General's Bodyguards to do the job of simple heavy cavalry.

Macedon does not have the great diversity of the Selecuid Empire, a faction that enjoys the fact that while they are 'only' the best heavy cavalry faction - they are in the top-5 of practically every other category and can surprise their opponent in unit selection. However, Macedon still combines rock-solid phalanx-units with some of the, in my mind, coolest cavalry units in the game. I love the Light Lancers. They are not as good as the Scythian Head-Hunting Maidens, but I'd argue they are the second-best light cavalry in the game. The reason for this is that they have the charge-stat of a heavy cavalry unit, but the speed of light cavalry. The Companion Cavalry is also a rock-solid heavy cavalry unit, but not necessarily as up to the job as the Roman Praetorian Cavalry or Cataphracts. I don't have a stat-sheet for Rome Total War in front of me, but I believe they're pretty fast for heavy cavalry - which aids in flanking the enemy.

I'm honestly a little bit embarrassed by the fact that I've been out of the game for so long that I don't remember what the CWB rules are - as I never really played CWB. Instead, I'll tell you what my 10k no rules build for Macedon was - and what my general strategy was. My build, with small variations, consisted of,

• 4 Companion Cavalry with armor upgrades
    • 4 Light Lancers - no upgrades
    • 4 Royal Pikeman with armor upgrades
    • 3 Archers with whatever upgrades to make it to 10k

This is a cavalry heavy build, based on my philosophy that cavalry is the most useful units to outflank the opponent - and that 4 Royal Pikeman are good enough to hold off basically any opponent for long enough for the cavalry to make an impact. I know a lot of people would criticize the amount of light cavalry as a substitute for Companions, but like I said before, Light Lancers can do no wrong in my world. I love using them for hammer and anvil, and while facing horse-archer nations they are fast enough to at least act as 'cavalry-in-being' units. Meaning that even if you can't catch the horse archers, Light Lancers are good enough of a unit to chase horse archers around the map - effectively removing them from the battle. If facing a horse-archer nation, I'd probably add some armor upgrades to them though.

General strategy is easy. Engage their infantry. Micromanage cavalry, and look for gaps among their secondary flanking units. Nothing worthy of Hannibal here, just straight up, no BS, battlefield tactics 101 sort of stuff.

Macedon are probably a little bit under-powered in Rome, at least compared to Alexander's time - even if there was a real decrease in the Macedonian army's abilities between the death of Alexander and the start of Rome. With that said, I really like Macedon - and the last time I installed the game my first campaign was with Macedon.
    Last edited by Mr Longbowman; September 04, 2016 at 07:07 PM.