Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firethrowers?

Default Re: Firethrowers?

In addition to flamethrowers the Byzantines had several other unusual or makeshift weapons of which both written records and archeological finds exist. The problem I have seen is that the AI is not very good in using special weapons, it can be inflexible in its choice of ammunition and uses units like grenade throwers and flamethrowers as skirmishers in open battles. I seem to understand their main use was in sieges, possibly because of supply problems in open battles. I believe, for example, that the portable flamethrower shown in the drawing in post #16 is firing from a siege tower.

Perhaps there could be a submod with special medieval weapons for a bit of a laugh.

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey of Villehardouin View Post
    In addition to flamethrowers the Byzantines had several other unusual or makeshift weapons of which both written records and archeological finds exist. The problem I have seen is that the AI is not very good in using special weapons, it can be inflexible in its choice of ammunition and uses units like grenade throwers and flamethrowers as skirmishers in open battles. I seem to understand their main use was in sieges, possibly because of supply problems in open battles. I believe, for example, that the portable flamethrower shown in the drawing in post #16 is firing from a siege tower.

Perhaps there could be a submod with special medieval weapons for a bit of a laugh.
    A great idea that needs a lot of modding.... I'm fine with just the flame throwers.

I'd like to add my voice to the small chorus of supporters for adding the fire throwers. The historical basis has been discussed. They were, from the accounts I've seen, a relatively rare weapon, part of the Tagmata. I haven't seen anything that causes me to think these were Thematic units. Price can also limit use. They should be recruitable only at Constantinople for the ERE. Is there a way to use the limit on agents to limit the number of fire thrower units.

They are available in SS, and from my experience are very good units if properly supported. If they actually melee, the siphonatores get creamed by competent infantry and are massacred by cavalry.

I'd analogize their tactical use to BC's modeling of the impact of imperial guard infantry - its ability to add to the morale of ERE troops. The use of flamethrowers will impact the morale of opponents.

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

I disagree with the idea of limiting possible recruitment of firethrowers only to Romans. Muslims were also using such weapons.

Under the patronage of m_1512

Like naftha?

zburanuki's Avatar Ducenarius

Naffatuns aren't recruitable in the current version?

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

No, I mean fire throwing devices, not grenade-like projectiles.

Under the patronage of m_1512

If it's historicaly accurate, why not? That'll bring the game closer to empire .

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Whoa I feel like this is an ancient thread but the date shows only started oct 2012. Like I said back in that ancient date, it would be best to make these units extremely limited in recruitment terms. The ERE was most famous for using them and so should have recruitable at Constantinople, but if there are clear sources for others using (versus the various nafta weapons) then you could limit to 3 or 4 other major citadels only across the Middle East, and also have 4 turn recruitment and huge "replenishment" times (or whatever its called in M2TW).

This would keep from seeing them on the open field of battle to a bare minimum, if ever! Where you would want to see them more is sieges only. And that can easily be achieved by adding this unit as a garrison spawn in all key cities.

I would love to see the Ayyubids with my Dismounted Ghulam with naptha grenades too still.
    And Naffatun should spawn in key cities as garrison too.

One could make them as a siege weapon, and unique "cannon tower" upgrades for the byzantines.
    A well informed opinion is a well formed opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12