Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Writers' Temporary Hangout

Default Writers' Temporary Hangout

Since we have been quite ineffective to keep the schedule (partly because we want to give everybody an opportunity to follow the course even if they have RL things going out), maybe it's a good idea to open a place when those who are around more can chat about AAR writing. We will visit this thread daily, so this is the place where you can ask whatever question you have in mind about AARtistry. It does not have to be closely connected to the course schedule, but let's try to keep it within the topic AARtistry.

Default Re: Writers' Temporary Hangout

Just out of curiosity.. What AAR's are you guys working on, or plan to do? I plan to start a Third Age: Total War AAR after the course. I'm doing initial preliminary work as of right now to prepare the backstory, and character profiles. Actual gameplay has not begun

Paragon's Avatar Senator

Mine's on my signature. I have quite a few ideas in mind, but this one already steals enough time, so I better think of the future when this one is finished.

Anyways, I know I'm really ignoring the shedules like a brick, I could use excuses like the dog eating my printer or something, but really, I'll have it all for this weekend. Only thing that really bothers me is that I'll have to spoil myself of radzeer's and robinzx' work because of the later half of this asigment, but whatever.
    This is my Aragonese AAR, One Single Man

If you read and comment, there WILL be cake!

Indefinitely Banned

You can find a link to my AAR in my sig as well. The AAR is done with Broken Crescent 2.3.2 mod, and revolves around the Abassid caliphate. Yes, it's that same old "conquer an empire" thingy, but as I advance in the AAR, I aim to add in more depth to it as I go. Next two updates will have some character dialogue and conflicts.

I also used to AARs with RTW and EB mod, but those never got past update 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
    Just out of curiosity.. What AAR's are you guys working on, or plan to do? I plan to start a Third Age: Total War AAR after the course. I'm doing initial preliminary work as of right now to prepare the backstory, and character profiles. Actual gameplay has not begun
    This sounds great! I love TATW AARs, of course it is really difficult to write one. In case you have not read it, I wrote two CQ articles on TATW AARtistry (not to promote myself, just an FYI): the first is here and the second is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    Mine's on my signature. I have quite a few ideas in mind, but this one already steals enough time, so I better think of the future when this one is finished.

Anyways, I know I'm really ignoring the shedules like a brick, I could use excuses like the dog eating my printer or something, but really, I'll have it all for this weekend. Only thing that really bothers me is that I'll have to spoil myself of radzeer's and robinzx' work because of the later half of this asigment, but whatever.
    No worries. We gave you mosters to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kybrothilian View Post
    You can find a link to my AAR in my sig as well. The AAR is done with Broken Crescent 2.3.2 mod, and revolves around the Abassid caliphate. Yes, it's that same old "conquer an empire" thingy, but as I advance in the AAR, I aim to add in more depth to it as I go. Next two updates will have some character dialogue and conflicts.

I also used to AARs with RTW and EB mod, but those never got past update 8.
    Broken Crescent is a great mod! Back then I played with the idea of writing an Armenia AAR with BC, but then I decided to write my current one on the Latins. It's still on the agenda though.
    Also, there are relatively few Muslim AARs, so this would be a nice one to see.

Paragon's Avatar Senator

Well, one of my ideas was a AAR about late era Khawazerm, with the mongols making it fun and all.

Indefinitely Banned

I wish I could update my AAR more often. But limited access to the comp coupled with other projects, both school and TWC stuff, take much of my time.

And people say that I should join the CS. I have too little time on my hands to run jobs like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Radzeer View Post
    This sounds great! I love TATW AARs, of course it is really difficult to write one. In case you have not read it, I wrote two CQ articles on TATW AARtistry (not to promote myself, just an FYI): the first is here and the second is here.
    I will have to check these out now

The new AOR 2.2 that was released is going to propel me now to have to download it. Four new factions and splitting of Silvan Elves of Mirkwood, and the Lorien Elves seems more realistic, so I must take advantage of this new mod that releases in the middle of our course

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    Well, one of my ideas was a AAR about late era Khawazerm, with the mongols making it fun and all.
    If I remember correctly, somebody tried that but the AAR died really soon... no pun intended. If you could pull that off in an AAR, that would be glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kybrothilian View Post
    I wish I could update my AAR more often. But limited access to the comp coupled with other projects, both school and TWC stuff, take much of my time.

And people say that I should join the CS. I have too little time on my hands to run jobs like that.
    Yeah, tell me about it. If I can squeeze two updates in one month, that's good stuff. In my Kievan story I could easily do four updates per month, and most updates were quite long too. RL just got busier since the summer...
    Regarding the CS, it depends which outlet you are encouraged to join. Talk to the content directors and ask about schedule and stuff. Then you can make an informed decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
    I will have to check these out now

The new AOR 2.2 that was released is going to propel me now to have to download it. Four new factions and splitting of Silvan Elves of Mirkwood, and the Lorien Elves seems more realistic, so I must take advantage of this new mod that releases in the middle of our course
    My last TATW campaign was with the Silvans and I really enjoyed it. More so than when the Silvans could just kill anybody from a distance... I think the new AOR system opens up some writing possibilities too, emphasizing some faction differences that always come handy in TATW AARs. In some ways, TATW has been kind of like a one way writing exercise once you picked the faction.

Just out of curiosity, which season works the best for you when writing? Summer? School season? Exam season? Winter break?

Paragon's Avatar Senator

Summer because more free time.

Indefinitely Banned

I work well on writing in all seasons IMO.

Ok, next question: time of the day? I tend to work better early morning.

Indefinitely Banned

Not sure, but I think I might be able to work better at morning and midday as well.

Paragon's Avatar Senator

Late at night.

Well I prefer writing in summer as I have more time then. And afternoon/evening.

You know, this summer thing is interesting. Being around for a while, I always thought that activity in the Writers' Study goes up quite a bit in the summer, and somehow it never really does. Or at least not as much as one would think based on holiday time.

Assignment 2 - pending
    Uhm I belive I have handed in the assignment a long time ago.

I'm a morning person, but I tend to write at night because that's when I have free time. Anytime I have a long break, be it during the summer or December, all the extra free time allows me to focus on my writing a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
    Uhm I belive I have handed in the assignment a long time ago.
    PM sent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast